Search Unity

5.5 released

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by SaraCecilia, Nov 30, 2016.

1. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

We're happy to release Unity 5.5 today, so grab it over on the download page. Patch releases can be found here.

Some goodies 5.5 brings you:
    • Improved Particle System
    • Improved workflow and performance in the Animation Window
    • New experimental Look Dev tool
    • New Splash Screen tool
    • GPU instancing for Android and iOS
    • New CPU Usage Profiler timeline view
    • Physics engine updated to PhysX 3.3.3 and added performance metrics to the Physics profiler
    • Support for Visual Studio Code on macOS and Windows
    ...and much more. Read about the details in the blog post.

Remember to back up your projects before downloading the latest version of Unity and check out the release notes. If you encounter any issues, please let us know by submitting a bug report.

Thanks again to all the users who helped with testing and giving us feedback on 5.5 while it was in beta!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    RavenOfCode, Nyuchen, Ian094 and 19 others like this.
  2. GooseNinja

GooseNinja

This is an awesome update! Thank you :)

3. John3D

John3D

I've managed to make my dream come true, create 3D games, thanks to Unity game engine!
    Thank you Unity team! You are the best!

Cromfeli and frbrz like this.
  4. NathanHold

NathanHold

Amazing work. I am downloading it now.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

6. Denisowator

Denisowator

Yay! I've been waiting so long for this! Can't wait to get home and update it. :D

7. adventurefan

adventurefan

Woah it's out! Those particle system and other updates :D:D:D

8. StaffanEk

StaffanEk

Is there a changelog between 5.5f1 and 5.5f3? There wasn't one between 5.5f1 and 5.5f2.

Isn't WebGL 2 the new default.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  9. Deleted User

Deleted User

What's the difference between Visual Studio 2015 and Visual Studio Code?

10. Ostwind

Ostwind

First one is fully featured toolset, editor and a compiler while the another one is just a lightweight editor.

11. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

How lightweight is it? I'm still a monodevelop user as I can't stand the bloat of visual studio

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

Good to know, thank you! :)

13. Kronnect

Kronnect

Cool! Finally released!

14. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Yes, indeed it is. Need to remove that line in the release notes!

15. TwiiK

TwiiK

Funny how it's possible to have so different opinions. :) I've used dozens upon dozens of editors and IDE's and to me Visual Studio is the most responsive editor I use, an impressive feat considering how feature rich it is, and Visual Studio just implements almost every feature just the way I want it, Monodevelop on the other hand is one of the worst editors I've used, it felt so slow and sluggish compared to Visual Studio, and even though it has many of the same features they just felt awful to use for me.

Either way you can just download Visual Studio Code for yourself and test it out, it's free and open source after all:
    https://code.visualstudio.com

I tested it on Mac because I thought it was Visual Studio for Mac, but it reminded me of Sublime or Atom, both really lightweight editors that I didn't really care for.

TimGS, ramand and MV10 like this.
  16. Ironmax

Ironmax

Looks like another great release :) great job guys.

kenshin likes this.
  17. SuperNoctiz

SuperNoctiz

This is awesome! :) just wondering how long does it take the cloud service to update to the newer version?

edit: it's updated :D

18. StaffanEk

StaffanEk

Is there a changelog between 5.5f1 and 5.5f3? There wasn't one between 5.5f1 and 5.5f2.

19. nventimiglia

nventimiglia

Does the new mono 4.4 compiler fix the memory leak from foreach, IEnumerator, IEnumerable use ?

frgaj likes this.
  20. Teku-Studios

Teku-Studios

Awesome update, it improves and adds a lot to the engine. A little side-question, though: what’s the current state of Unity for Nintendo Switch (as far as you’re able to discuss publicly)? The Roadmap has it tagged as “In Development”, but is it targeted to 5.6 or later? Expected for the console’s release or some time after March?

21. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Tried loading my project into Unity 5.5 f3 but I get the error 'Failed to unload 'ProjectSettings/UnityAdsSettings.asset'' and I get a whole bunch of purple materials in all my scenes, and it says there are errors in the scripts, except there are no errors just the one above and it says it will complete the auto update of the project when the errors are fixed. So how do I fix this 'Unity' error? My project worked just fine in Unity 5.5 b10 and 11?

rtohlsen and tanoshimi like this.
  22. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Hey, release notes are now updated to include the delta since f2 (the f2 release notes included the delta since f1).

StaffanEk likes this.
  23. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

Yep - I've just got the same. Is there a specific subforum for questions related to 5.5 upgrade or should we post them here?

24. SteveJ

SteveJ

When we say "Support for Visual Studio Code on macOS and Windows", should it be doing auto-complete for Unity specifics? Is there a trick to making that happen? Doesn't seem to happen if you just select Code as the editor and leave it at that.

25. afw3000

afw3000

I thought 5.5 supposed to add the cinematic features from the Adam demo. Does anyone know when that's actually going in? I cant seem to find it on the road map either.

Edit: Found it, forgot they changed the name to Timeline. It's listed under experimental so I guess that's not coming to 5.6 either :(

26. boxhallowed

boxhallowed

Hey, how do I switch to the lightweight editor?

27. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well, you uninstall one and install the other; then you select the lightweight in the preferences of Unity, external tool tab.

28. boxhallowed

boxhallowed

Thanks, I was afraid I would have to uninstall VS, as I use it for some projects on the side. I never noticed I could switch back to Mono however, so I will do that. Thanks again!

29. Deleted User

Deleted User

You're welcome; I thought you wanted to use Visual Studio Code instead of Visual Studio Community tools.

Talking about Visual Studio Code, what size is it once installed and how many "things" does it install in your system?

30. boxhallowed

boxhallowed

The download is around 32mb, and it's pretty light. It's no Notepad++, but it's ok.

31. benzuk

benzuk

What about .NET 4.6? already almost 2017 and we're still using .NET 2.0.

32. Zeblote

Zeblote

Why? PhysX 3.4 is already available!

33. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

looks like the best update in a LONG time... I am sure they started the upgrade with 3.3 Can't just stop and switch, I would imagine.

34. SpreadcampShay

SpreadcampShay

I've been trying out Visual Studio Code (I usually use regular Visual Studio) and I can't seem to get it to syntax highlight any classes appearing throughout the code. Same for things like Enums. It's all just white text except for things like strings, bools, int, if/else. Is that just how it is with that editor?

35. DalerHakimov

DalerHakimov

Congrats guys you are doing great job. One question, does it mean that you have fixed all known issues that was in the last beta?

36. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Awesome! The particle extensions are really cool :)

Quick question since I've had to work with an older version - is the progressive lightmapper out of experimental state in 5.5 or is it still not officialy rleased?

[edit] Ah - found it in the roadmap as "in developmen" please ignore this post ;)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  37. Deleted User

Deleted User

32 mB once installed? That's what "Programs and Features" says?

38. Deozaan

Deozaan

You don't have to uninstall Visual Studio 2015 (or whichever version you're using) to install and use VS Code. You can have them both installed at the same time. You just need to go into your Unity Preferences and tell it to use VS Code instead of Visual Studio.

Edit -> Preferences -> External Tools -> External Script Editor

In the dropdown, either select Visual Studio Code or if it's not showing in the list, then just browse for the VS Code executable, which by default on Windows is installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft VS Code\Code.exe. It will then show up in the dropdown list as Visual Studio Code in the future.

Right-clicking the Microsoft VS Code folder and selecting properties shows that it is about 135MB installed.

39. Deleted User

Deleted User

It's the only folder that has been created? What about all the other things that have been installed?

40. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

It's a regression that had gotten fixed, but now somehow appeared again in this release. I've pinged the scene management team and will hopefully have some more information soon!

Edit: Team is looking into this now, so hang tight :)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    tanoshimi likes this.
  41. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Hey, there is a guide here on how to set up VS Code for Unity / C#.

From the site:

You need to ensure that your solution is open in VS Code (not just a single file). Open the folder with your solution and you usually will not need to do anything else. If for some reason VS Code has not selected the right solution context, you can change the selected project by clicking on the OmniSharp flame icon on the status bar.

Choose the -CSharp version of the solution file and VS Code will light up.

42. SpreadcampShay

SpreadcampShay

That is what I'm doing, but without the dotBunny Plugin since 5.5 is supposed to support it out the box, right? And as such, it has one MyProject.sln and NO MyProject-CSharp.sln to select from. Clicking on the MyProject.sln changes the Text next to the Flame from "0 Projects" to "Running" but it does not change anything about the Syntax Highlighting or auto-completion issue for me.

43. Deleted User

Deleted User

Why does the downloader propose Visual Studio Community 2015 instead of Visual Studio Code?

Sans-titre-1.jpg

44. Coredumping

Coredumping

Just a heads up.

The new compiler threw an exception while compiling a variable declaration of a very complex Dictionary<string, Action> in a class definition, which was filled with anonymous functions. Commenting out a couple of very complex functions in the variable declaration, with a lot of for loops and nesting, stopped the exception. I solved it by moving the anonymous functions into static methods and referencing them in the declaration. The old compiler has had no issues with this, but the actual compiler exception didn't help much in explaining the error, only referencing the offending class (Though "Mono.CSharp.AnonymousExpression" might have given it away):

45. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Can u provide link, not seeing it?

46. mmitang

mmitang

remember me is not work.
    every time i open editor,it ask me to login again.
    try uninsatll and reinstall.
    try active new lisence.
    all not work

DesertRaven likes this.
  47. boxhallowed

boxhallowed

This is the million dollar question. Why make us download and install this bloated piece of crap, when in reality we could get most of what we need with Visual Studio Code?

Actually, what's wrong with Mono Develop? Why did they start incorporating VS?

48. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Also seeing this error in my project:
    Code (csharp):
    1. Unsupported type MinMaxCurve
    I have searched all my scripts and I am not using MinMaxCurves anywhere and the clicking the error just shows the error above so I am guessing it is inside Unity somewhere. Finally got my project imported but very disappointed with the very large drop in performance, from 70fps to 50fps in one scene and from 170fps to 130fps in the other. Think I will wait for a few updates to 5.5 before switching over.

49. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

For me, the debugging workflow in Visual Studio *way* surpasses anything that MonoDevelop could offer.

Dave-Carlile likes this.
  50. Zeblote

Zeblote

Can't find a public release but unreal engine is using 3.4 since september.