Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

5.5.0b6 Breaks Screen-Space UI scaling (and lightmapping as well!)

Discussion in '5.5 Beta' started by Eudaimonium, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Eudaimonium

Eudaimonium

Hi, I just downloaded 5.5 Beta because of all the new particle stuff.

Unfortunately, got derailed before that.

Here is what my project looks like in 5.5 Beta:
    UI_Scaling_crap1.jpg
    UI_Scaling_crap2.jpg

Here's what my game is supposed to look like (project duplicate, nothing changed except Unity version):

UI_scaling_good1.jpg (Note how the entire actual HUD was cut off!)

UI_scaling_good2.jpg

The UI system is Canvas, with Screen Space Camera assigned. As you can see, they both suffer some sort of "cropping" for some reason. I haven't really dived deep into the reason and cause for this, since I will be waiting stable 5.5 release (or until this is fixed), I really don't feel like re-doing my entire UI right now.

BONUS (I just figured it out while switching open Unity versions to take these screenshots):
    The lightmapping in the new version is either broken or changed drastically. With identical settings in my project (or even with bumping up the baked in AO or such), there appears to be no change to the final result of lightmaps, which are drastically darker than 5.4 project version. Baked in lightning basically looks exactly like Dynamic lighting, with no additional light bounce passes or AO.

You can even sort of make it out in the screenshots, pay attention to corners and places between the lanterns.

Is this a known issue? Will this be fixed before actual release? I was SO looking forward to new particle systems because my game uses a ton of various spell VFX, all done within Shuriken system in Unity and I was hoping it would be even better now.

Thank you in advance!

2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

3. kemalakay

kemalakay

Unity Technologies

Hi @Eudaimonium,

Sorry to hear that you encountered such issues in 5.5 beta. There are some known issues about lighting that are being addressed as we speak of, however this dark output is not expected while upgrading your project from 5.4 to 5.5 beta. But there could be many parameters that can affect the final result, such as color space and rendering path. When upgrading to 5.5, your settings might be overwritten by 5.5's default settings so it's hard to tell what's really going on without checking the actual project. Could you please report this, attach your project and post the bug ID here in this thread so that we can investigate it further? Preferably, it would be better if you can report it from 5.4 so we can quickly compare the results in both Unity versions as there is no backward compatibility from 5.5 to 5.4. If you haven't reported a bug before, you can check our page about How to Submit A Bug Report. It is pretty easy and would facilitate the process :)

Thank you for taking your time. We appreciate your help to improve Unity.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  4. VizmystechLLC

VizmystechLLC

Glad to hear that the lighting issues are being addressed (also glad I'm not the only one having issues). I am having the same issue with my scenes being very dark even when using the same settings as Unity 5.4. Hopefully it can be fixed soon so I can move back to 5.5.

5. Eudaimonium

Eudaimonium

Same here, glad to hear they're being addressed.

@kemalakay, well I can give you access to my private SVN code repository of our project (which is currently at version 5.4.1., stable), you can try running it in 5.5 Beta and see what's up, but unfortunately, between my two S***ty internet connections, I cannot simply re-upload entire project directory to another location. This is why I am hesitant to do a bug report because I will not be able to upload supplementary content which would probably be very helpful.

I can post a ton of screenshots if it's any help - result of lightmap, exact component and hierarchy setup etc.

6. kemalakay

kemalakay

Unity Technologies

Hi @Eudaimonium

I have tried to send you a PM but apparently, you have turned off private messages, or perhaps you blocked me? :) Anyway, as you suggested, I would like to gain access to your project so I can check what’s going on. But we need a channel of communication. So either send me a PM, or open an empty bug case describing the problem please.

What really matters for us is an easy reproduction that pinpoints the issue. I would like to determine if this issue is related to compatibility (upgrading from 5.4 to 5.5 can change the asset serialization for some files), or a regression in 5.5. Ideally, we should isolate the problem. So meanwhile, maybe you can tell me your lighting settings (whether Realtime GI or Baked GI is enabled, what settings your are using, what kind of light and parameters you use in the scene, also, what texture format you utilize for the textures). Obviously, screenshots that compare the results are also encouraged but optional.

What surprised me the most is the lack of bounciness. Just to be sure, can you please go to Preferences > GI Cache > click on Clean Cache button and build the lighting again.

@LostCityGames, as mentioned above, we would really appreciate if you have a small project that reproduces the issue

Rest assured that we are doing our best to release a stable 5.5.

Thanks for your help and contribution.

LeonhardP likes this.
  7. Eudaimonium

Eudaimonium

Hi, kemalakay!

I have sent you a message via "Conversations" system of this forum... I hope this is the correct way to reply. I have sent you a link to download the source files of our project in the current, 5.4.1.-working state. Feel free to run this in both 5.4., and upgrade it to 5.5. to see what breaks.

Hope it helps, and thanks heaps for replies everybody!

8. kemalakay

kemalakay

Unity Technologies

Hey,

"Conversations" system is the correct way to reach us. I replied to you privately.

So FYI, this dark output was a result of a recent change in 5.5. Basically, when you import a texture to 5.5, the color space is defined in sRGB by default. If you don't know what is a sRGB, or want to learn how to use it, I recommend you to check out this website. But TLDR; sRGB outputs a more consistent and accurate result.

However, when you upgrade your projects from 5.4 to 5.5 and still want to have same output, we suggest you to disable sRGB in texture import settings. Be aware that this is just a workaround, you should expect a different result as long as you keep the default settings (see the image below).

I hope this clarifies the issue. Please let us know if you encounter another problem. Thanks!