Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

5.5.0b5 produces banding on lightmaps

Discussion in '5.5 Beta' started by CMTheo, Oct 18, 2016.

1. CMTheo

CMTheo

We recently upgraded our project to Unity 5.5.0b5 for the iOS web request POST fix. However we later discovered that all our lightmaps now render with this harsh color banding. Attached are images showing how it looks in 5.4.0f3 (our project's previous version) and then in 5.5.0b5. We've tried clearing the GI cache, updating to newer beta versions up through 5.5.0b7. The lightmaps aren't being compressed, so that's not it either.

Has anyone else had any issues with lightmaps in the 5.5.0 beta releases? At this point we may need to attempt a conversion to 5.4.2 when it's put back up in order to address the POST fix and the lighting issue.

Screen Shot 2016-10-18 at 3.08.46 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-10-18 at 3.08.17 PM.png

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Is this with the lightmaps uncompressed?

3. CMTheo

CMTheo

Yes. I enabled compression on a whim and they ended up even worse. There was still banding but also this checkerboard type pattern as well.

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Bug reporting with a repro scene would be best I think.

5. kemalakay

kemalakay

Unity Technologies

Hi @CMTheo,

May I ask if you are deploying your build to iOS? We have a known issue with incorrect rendering of light maps with decoded RGB on mobile platforms. Currently, the bug is fixed and it’s on the way for 5.5.

6. CMTheo

CMTheo

@kemalakay,

Yes, we are targeting iOS. Glad to hear it's been fixed! In the meantime we've downgraded our project to 5.4.1 and found a workaround for the POST issue we were originally having. Thanks for the update!