Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

5.4b11 iOS URL Schemes

Discussion in '5.4 Beta' started by bdovaz, Mar 23, 2016.

1. bdovaz

bdovaz

What about this? There is no information available.

I only see an array of string in player settings.

It's there a way to retrieve the full uri that opened the app? (Example: "myscheme://view?id=1234") I mean when we want to pass parameters to the app, not only open it. And I mean for the two cases:

- A first run
    - Bringing the app to the foreground (= resuming it)

If so, why you don't did it for Android too? I will never understand why you do this. Release some feature that it's on Android too but you only make it for iOS. WHY????

2. bdovaz

bdovaz

Anyone?

3. fantastisch_

fantastisch_

Yes, all this is possible. What have you tried?

4. bdovaz

bdovaz

I haven't tried nothing yet. I only want a confirmation and a little example on the API on how to retrieve the uri that opened/resumed the app

5. povilas

povilas

Unity Technologies

Hi,

At the moment only opening of the application with the given URL scheme is supported. I.e. there's no Unity API to retrieve full URL that was used to invoke the application.

However, it's possible to implement this in the trampoline if needed. The iOS docs explain this well: see the "Handling URL Requests" section here:
    https://developer.apple.com/library....html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40007072-CH6-SW10

If you want this feature in Unity, please vote on this feature request: https://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestions/receiving-data-when-opened-from-custom-url-scheme. The more votes it gets, the sooner the feature will be implemented.

Cromfeli likes this.
  6. bdominguezvw

bdominguezvw

@povilas why you don't have done this? Retrieving the full uri it's what makes sense and it's really interesting for developers. Also it can be done for Android in the same way so you can expose a cross-platform API (in Windows and OSX it's also possible, I don't know if Linux could).

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  7. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Sure, it's obviously doable, but in the long list of things to do, it hasn't risen to the top. All of you can help vote that up, but there's lots of other things that take priority, like performance work, support for the new features of iOS, etc.

8. bdovaz

bdovaz

You always do this. Release "features" on one platform on a cross-platform engine.

Why? And why you release it likw this? Why is useful? You can only open it on ios and only open it, nothing more.

9. povilas

povilas

Unity Technologies

The other option would be not to release this at all. We hope that partial URL scheme support will be useful at least for some people.

Cromfeli likes this.