Search Unity

5.4 upgrade makes it impossible to use light probes with realtime GI?

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by AndrewCzarnietzki, Jul 20, 2016.

1. AndrewCzarnietzki

AndrewCzarnietzki

Hey!

We have a large realtime GI scene, lit by a single directional light casting dynamic shadows. All the static / lightmapped elements work great. The project is DirectX 11 with Linear lighting.

For the dynamic objects running through the scene, I have a network of light probes setup. In 5.3, this worked great.

We recently upgraded to 5.4, which included a rebake of all the lighting. I cleared the cache just to be sure.

For a moment everything looked fine! Then, after a script compile, all my light probe elements turn darker and flatter. They still are receiving lighting, but I can confirm that they are only receiving indirect lighting. The objects do not receive my direct sunlight and do not receive any dynamic shadows (though they do cast them). The sun is Realtime - because I am not using the baked light (just the precomputed realtime GI). If I put it in Mixed there is no change, just a warning in the inspector.

If I rebake the lighting, the direct light works fine - sun recieved, shadows received... until code compiles or I re-open Unity. Then all my proved elements get visibly darker and no longer have direct light. If I bake with the sun in Mixed or Realtime I get no difference.

Is there any way to have light probed elements receive my direct light and shadow? It looked great in 5.3 and was consistent. If I remove the light probes, my scene gets noticeably flatter.