Search Unity

Bug 5.4.0p1 Fails to Launch Due to License

Discussion in 'Linux' started by DWishR, Aug 10, 2016.

1. DWishR

DWishR

I'm attempting to run Unity on an Ubuntu VM in Amazon to utilize as a build machine. I can't start graphically on the machine (as no graphics are configured), and would rather not have to set that up. I'm continually getting the following log:

mono profile = '/opt/Unity/Editor/Data/Mono/lib/mono/2.0'
    Initialize mono
    Mono path[0] = '/opt/Unity/Editor/Data/Managed'
    Mono path[1] = '/opt/Unity/Editor/Data/Mono/lib/mono/2.0'
    Mono path[2] = '/opt/Unity/Editor/Data/UnityScript'
    Mono path[3] = '/opt/Unity/Editor/Data/Mono/lib/mono/2.0'
    Mono config path = '/opt/Unity/Editor/Data/Mono/etc'
    Using monoOptions --debugger-agent=transport=dt_socket,embedding=1,defer=y,address=0.0.0.0:56128
    DisplayProgressbar: Unity license
    Cancelling DisplayDialog: Failed to activate/update license. Missing or bad username and password. Please try again using valid credentials or contact support@unity3d.com
    This should not be called in batch mode.
    (Filename: /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Platform/Linux/EditorUtility.cpp Line: 234)

I've tried with the following options:
    /opt/Unity/Editor/Unity -batchmode -nographics -quit -logfile /home/group/buildbot/unity-log.txt -username <user> -password <pass>
    /opt/Unity/Editor/Unity -batchmode -nographics -quit -logfile /home/group/buildbot/unity-log.txt
    /opt/Unity/Editor/Unity -username <user> -password <pass> -batchmode -nographics -quit
    /opt/Unity/Editor/Unity -batchmode -nographics -quit
    /opt/Unity/Editor/Unity -nographics -batchmode -quit
    /opt/Unity/Editor/Unity -nographics -quit (different log, still fails)

I just tried downgrading to 5.3.6f1 and it gives the following log:
    mono profile = '/opt/Unity/Editor/Data/Mono/lib/mono/2.0'
    Initialize mono
    Mono path[0] = '/opt/Unity/Editor/Data/Managed'
    Mono path[1] = '/opt/Unity/Editor/Data/Mono/lib/mono/2.0'
    Mono path[2] = '/opt/Unity/Editor/Data/UnityScript'
    Mono path[3] = '/opt/Unity/Editor/Data/Mono/lib/mono/2.0'
    Mono config path = '/opt/Unity/Editor/Data/Mono/etc'
    Using monoOptions --debugger-agent=transport=dt_socket,embedding=1,defer=y,address=0.0.0.0:56607
    Forcing GfxDevice: Null
    NullGfxDevice:
    Version: NULL 1.0 [1.0]
    Renderer: Null Device
    Vendor: Unity Technologies
    DisplayProgressbar: Unity license
    /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Platform/Linux/EditorUtility.cpp:DisplayDialog
    title='Failed to activate/update license.'
    content='Timeout occured while trying to update license. Please try again later or contact support@unity3d.com'

tried with the following options:
    /opt/Unity/Editor/Unity -batchmode -nographics -quit -logfile /home/group/buildbot/unity-log.txt -username <user> -password <pass>
    /opt/Unity/Editor/Unity -batchmode -nographics -quit -logfile /home/group/buildbot/unity-log.txt
    /opt/Unity/Editor/Unity -batchmode -nographics -quit
    /opt/Unity/Editor/Unity -nographics -quit (different log, still fails)
    /opt/Unity/Editor/Unity -batchmode -quit (different log, still fails)

$ uname -v
    #138-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jun 24 17:00:34 UTC 2016

2. Tak

Tak

To activate from the command line:
    Unity -batchmode -nographics -serial XXXX -username myuser@mydomain.com -password MyPassword -quit

3. DWishR

DWishR

What if I'm using the personal edition? Is there a way to get a community serial? I can't seem to find an actual key through the web portal for personal licenses.

4. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

I'm guessing, but try running the command without the "-serial" part

5. Tak

Tak

Sorry, I didn't realize you were trying to activate the personal edition.
    There's currently no way to do that from the command line (on any platform) - we'll look at adding that in the future.

kontotto likes this.
  6. Face_Mcgace

Face_Mcgace

I'm really disappointed that Unity didn't add this for the personal addition - seems like a hamfisted way to force people to use their own Unity Cloud services - or pay a license to do command line builds. Quite monopolistic.

bguess10 likes this.
  7. MasDaddy

MasDaddy

I'm running into this issue now as well.
    I'm trying to setup Unity-5.4.1f1 on a Ubuntu 16.04 machine with the goal of having my CI do a remote build.

When I try to build my project with
    my build.log contains
    Then if I run
    my build.log is now
    I tried multiple times throughout the day, and the license fails to activate/update each time.
    Running either of the two previous commands without -batchmode yields
    Running the build command with the serial/username/password details also fails. (Timeout)
    Running the build command with -force-free also fails. (missing/bad username/password)

8. Miiirage

Miiirage

We've noticed lately the command also timing out, ever since updating to Unity 5.5:

@Tak

9. XaeroDegreaz

XaeroDegreaz

Has there been any movement on this? I'd like full control over my automated build and launching of dedicated servers. I'm using 5.5.0 and can't get passed the DisplayProgressbar: Unity license portion.

I've tried the same build using 5.3.4 and it gets passed all of that and runs nicely (there are API compatibility problems that prevent me from using this solution, however).

10. Miiirage

Miiirage

This is still not working. Any word on this? @Tak

Code (csharp):
    2. DisplayProgressbar: Unity license
    3. Request Timeout while processing request "https://public-cdn.cloud.unity3d.com/config/production", HTTP error code 0
    4. .Cancelling DisplayDialog: Failed to activate/update license. Timeout occured while trying to update license. Please try again later or contact support@unity3d.com
    5. This should not be called in batch mode.
    7. (Filename: /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Platform/OSX/EditorUtility.mm Line: 355)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  11. luciusclay

luciusclay

I'd also like to throw in to the mix that this doesn't even work when you are using a valid serial.

12. Miiirage

Miiirage

13. XaeroDegreaz

XaeroDegreaz

I figured out a way to resolve this issue when it comes to Personal License users.

Since we cannot activate Unity from the command line for the time being, I just installed a VNC server on my Ubuntu box. Then I connected to the VNC server with a VNC client, and opened the Unity program that way. Then I logged in and it activated. I can now perform any action I want from the command line.

The reason this came about for me was because I was looking for a way to do perform automated builds with Unity in a Docker container. Once I figured out that I simply HAD to activate Unity on first-run through the GUI all it took was for me to find a way to launch a GUI once.

For those that are interested in this solution, you'll need some dependencies for setting up your VNC server:

Assuming you already have all of the other dependencies required for Unity on Linux:

Code (csharp):
    1. env DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get update -qq \
    2.     && apt-get -qq install -y ubuntu-desktop gnome-panel gnome-settings-daemon \
    3.     metacity nautilus gnome-terminal --no-install-recommends \
    4.     xvfb xrdp tightvncserver
    NOTE: I included xrdp as an example -- you can use RDP instead of VNC, but you'll have to configure XFCE4 instead (tutorial for that here: http://askubuntu.com/a/592544/340967)

Copy these contents to ~/.vnc/xstartup for whatever users you're going to want to enable VNC sessions for.

Make sure this file is permissioned 755 because it will be executed when your VNC server starts up.

Code (csharp):
    1. #!/bin/sh
    3. export XKL_XMODMAP_DISABLE=1
    4. unset SESSION_MANAGER
    5. unset DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
    7. [ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
    8. [ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
    9. xsetroot -solid grey
    10. vncconfig -iconic &
    12. gnome-panel &
    13. gnome-settings-daemon &
    14. metacity &
    15. nautilus &
    16. gnome-terminal &
    Launch your VNC Server with:

Code (csharp):
    1. vncserver :1
    Then connect your box with some VNC client. Typically this service runs on port 5091. Open up Applications > Programming > Unity, or you can launch Unity from the command line with:

Code (csharp):
    1. /opt/Unity/Editor/Unity -logfile
    if you want to watch the logs to see if there are other errors.

When you're done activating, kill your VNC server :)

Code (csharp):
    1. vncserver -kill :1
    NOTE for Docker users: If you plan on doing this inside of a Docker container, you'll need to ensure you're running the docker container with --cap-add=SYS_ADMIN or --privileged because there is some weird Chrome sandboxing issue -- since Unity uses some form of Chrome to start their license screen / welcome screen, you have to be able to break past whatever X11 sandbox is there. Once you've activated your Unity instance, you should open another terminal and perform a "docker commit" so that your image has your activation license file on subsequent startups.

Tested with http://download.unity3d.com/download_unity/linux/unity-editor-5.5.0f3+20161125_amd64.deb

I hope this helps someone circumvent this extremely irritating "feature".

Here's the Unity Ubuntu Dockerfile for anyone that's interested:

Code (csharp):
    1. FROM ubuntu:16.04
    3. RUN apt-get update -qq
    5. RUN env DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get -qq install -y ubuntu-desktop gnome-panel gnome-settings-daemon metacity nautilus gnome-terminal --no-install-recommends curl gconf-service lib32gcc1 lib32stdc++6 libasound2 libc6 libc6-i386 libcairo2 libcap2 libcups2 libdbus-1-3 libexpat1 libfontconfig1 libfreetype6 libgcc1 libgconf-2-4 libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 libgl1-mesa-glx libglib2.0-0 libglu1-mesa libgtk2.0-0 libnspr4 libnss3 libpango1.0-0 libstdc++6 libx11-6 libxcomposite1 libxcursor1 libxdamage1 libxext6 libxfixes3 libxi6 libxrandr2 libxrender1 libxtst6 zlib1g debconf npm xdg-utils lsb-release libpq5 xvfb git vim xrdp tightvncserver \
    6.     && rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/*
    8. RUN echo "Downloading Unity3D installer...." \
    9.     && mkdir /app \
    10.     && curl -o /app/unity_editor.deb "http://download.unity3d.com/download_unity/linux/unity-editor-5.5.0f3+20161125_amd64.deb" \
    11.     && echo "Unity3D installer downloaded." \
    12.     # To make a "min" version of this image build, omit this dpkg line. It saves a lot of space, but you'll need to dpkg it yourself when you use the image.
    13.     && dpkg -i /app/unity_editor.deb && ln -s /opt/Unity/Editor/Unity /usr/local/bin/unity && rm -rf /app
    15. RUN adduser --disabled-password --gecos '' unity-dev
    17. ENV USER unity-dev
    18. USER ${USER}
    19. WORKDIR /home/${USER}
    21. RUN mkdir -p .vnc .cache/unity3d .local/share/unity3d
    23. ADD xstartup .vnc/xstartup
    25. # VNC
    26. EXPOSE 5901
    27. # RDP
    28. EXPOSE 3389

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    GabLeRoux likes this.
  14. Miiirage

Miiirage

I received word from Unity's support and with their help we SOLVED the license activation!

Adding the CACerts.pem to the Unity license folder solved the issue for us!

shirleytan likes this.
  15. roganz

roganz

Any idea where CACerts.pem would go on an Ubuntu machine?
    I tried putting it in: /opt/Unity/Certificates but no luck

16. luciusclay

luciusclay

It should live in the user's .local directory: ~/.local/share/unity3d/Certificates/

17. roganz

roganz

Thanks. I guess it isn't the certificates that are stopping it from working for us, then. Still getting "Cancelling DisplayDialog: Failed to activate/update license. Timeout occured while trying to update license."

18. roganz

roganz

I wasn't able to get the license registered through the command line on Ubuntu, but I followed XaeroDegreaz instructions above for VNC and I was able to register through the UI.

19. yongkangchen

yongkangchen

I figured out a way to resolve this issue:

Code (CSharp):
    1. xvfb-run --auto-servernum --server-args='-screen 0 640x480x24'  /opt/Unity/Editor/Unity -logFile -batchmode -username xxx@yyy.com -password zzz
    and show:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. LICENSE SYSTEM [2017723 8:6:38] Posting <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><root><SystemInfo><IsoCode>en</IsoCode><UserName>.......
    copy xml content and save as unity3d.alf to your computer.

open https://license.unity3d.com/manual , use unity3d.alf for manual activation, and download Unity_v5.x.ulf

finally put Unity_v5.x.ulf to ~.local/share/unity3d/Unity/

GabLeRoux and FlaSh-G like this.
  20. robinryf

robinryf

Any update on this? I still can't activate my Unity personal license through the command line on a linux machine. Is there not a way to get the serial number of my personal serial?

21. Tak

Tak

Sorry, it's currently not supported to perform a personal license activation via the command line.

22. TheBored

TheBored

Are there any common solutions for automated builds then? This seems to be a non-trivial thing to overcome for establishing a build process.

GabLeRoux likes this.
  23. kjeld_unity

kjeld_unity

This is really S***, if I want to use a CI like travis I am forced to use OSX (Which doesn't even need activation when using batchmode), only because of the incompetence to also add that feature to the linux build?!

24. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

I'm getting a similar error ("failed to reactivate/update license") in v 5.0.1, just from running it as I normally do and using the Personal Edition, meaning that I don't have a license to update. The problem developed after I had to restart Unity because I couldn't click on the Scene or Game tabs (it was stuck on the Animator tab), so I had to restart and then the error popped up and prevented me from using Unity.
    [Edit: I solved it just by clicking on the button to sign up for a license, and selected Personal Edition, and it now works again. No idea why the problem developed in the first place, though]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  25. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello there,
    I had the same issue and solved it in Linux. Maybe this could help:

As far as I know, this only applies to Linux. I am using:
    • Unity3d 2017.1.1xf1, .deb package (same version I was using before having issues - I forgot to add this in the previous email)
    • Ubuntu 17.10.1 x64
    The issue appeared after an update from 17.04 after reaching EOL. The Ubuntu update process seemed to work well, but finally, there is an issue with amdgpu-pro drivers that renders the system unusable in Xorg/Wayland. I performed a clean install over the / partition (erased) leaving /home as is, to keep settings and files.

After the clean install, it seems not everything was so "clean", as proven by the License Error issue. Therefore, after I sent the previous email, I digged a bit inside the /home and check where Unity3d put its files. Cleaning them all:
    • Deleted folder /home/user/.config/unity3d
    • Deleted folder /home/user/.cache/unity3d
    • Deleted folder /home/user/.local/share/unity3d
    With these, there were no user preferences at all inside the /home/user directory. Launching again Unity Editor, it reacted as a clean installation allowing the License to act as expected.

Hope it helps.
    Best regards

26. Cosimo-DW

Cosimo-DW

Tested on 2017.3.0p2. Manual activation works but there is a step that nobody mentioned here before.

After putting the ulf file in ~/.local/share/unity3d/Unity/ I need to run Unity once without -batchmode i.e.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. xvfb-run -l --auto-servernum --server-args='-screen 0 640x480x24' ./Unity -logFile -nographics -quit
    Then follows the actual code to build. Surprisingly adding -batchmode will not activate Unity at the beginning.

27. Hacky

Hacky

Hi! Tested on 2018.1.0b8 with manual activation, but after putting in my ulf-file and run

Code (CSharp):
    1. xvfb-run -l --auto-servernum --server-args='-screen 0 640x480x24' ./Unity -logFile -nographics -quit
    it shows me following errors

Code (CSharp):
    1. [0222/184258:ERROR:connection.cc(1060)] DOMStorageDatabase sqlite error 14, errno -2: unable to open database file, sql: -- sqlite3_open()
    2. [0222/184258:ERROR:dom_storage_database.cc(163)] Unable to open DOM storage database at /var/lib/jenkins/.config/unity3d/Unity/Browser/Cache/Local Storage/file__0.localstorage error: sql::Connection has no connection.
    Does anybody knows what went wrong?

28. Teslatronic

Teslatronic

Am having this issue as well, running 2017.3.1f1 on Ubuntu 16.04 in a Docker container. I'm not sure if the sandbox and GPU-related errors have something to do with it.

Code (csharp):
    1. root@5dbafd822e9c:/# xvfb-run --auto-servernum --server-args='-screen 0 640x480x24' /opt/unity/Editor/Unity -logfile -nographics -quit
    2. [Package Manager] Server::Start -- Port 47710 was selected
    4. COMMAND LINE ARGUMENTS:
    5. /opt/unity/Editor/Unity
    6. -logfile
    7. -nographics
    8. -quit
    9. [0315/135242:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(161)] Running without the SUID sandbox! See https://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/LinuxSUIDSandboxDevelopment for more information on developing with the sandbox on.
    10. [0315/135242:ERROR:renderer_main.cc(227)] Running without renderer sandbox
    11. ATTENTION: default value of option force_s3tc_enable overridden by environment.
    12. [0315/135242:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(308)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process
    13. [0315/135242:ERROR:gpu_process_transport_factory.cc(402)] Failed to establish GPU channel.
    14. [0315/135244:ERROR:connection.cc(1060)] DOMStorageDatabase sqlite error 14, errno -2: unable to open database file, sql: -- sqlite3_open()
    15. [0315/135244:ERROR:dom_storage_database.cc(163)] Unable to open DOM storage database at /root/.config/unity3d/Unity/Browser/Cache/Local Storage/file__0.localstorage error: sql::Connection has no connection.
    16. [0315/135245:ERROR:connection.cc(1060)] DOMStorageDatabase sqlite error 14, errno -2: unable to open database file, sql: -- sqlite3_open()
    17. [0315/135245:ERROR:dom_storage_database.cc(163)] Unable to open DOM storage database at /root/.config/unity3d/Unity/Browser/Cache/Local Storage/https_id.unity.com_0.localstorage error: sql::Connection has no connection.
    18. ^CUnity: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :99.

29. GabLeRoux

GabLeRoux

Hello everyone, I just want to let you know that I've created the following public projects on gitlab to handle unity3d inside docker:

I've been fighting with activation for a while now, you can follow progress here on unity3d-gitlab-ci-example#5

Once this is working, I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to provide examples running in Travis, Jenkins or CircleCI.

Concerning activation, I don't really like the VNC solution here as it's not very handy for a CI, the goal is to have no user intervention at all. I also consider this underrated form post, which seem to say that using a MacOS machine and running unity with -batchmode doesn't need activation (insert facepalm here). Well if that's the case, shouldn't be too hard to get things running on Travis or CircleCI since they provide MacOS workers, but I think we'd have to wait for Unity insallation on every build.

Anyway, if someone would like to give a hand, it'd be really nice.

30. XaeroDegreaz

XaeroDegreaz

The VNC solution that I provided is a one time step. You log in to your running docker container, activate your license, then commit that activated Docker image and push it.

You can then pull it from any machine and it will be 100% ready to go.

GabLeRoux likes this.
  31. GabLeRoux

GabLeRoux

Thanks for the quick answer XaeroDegreaz.

On my side, I just tried the manual way by using yongkangchen's solution with manual activation webpage. Once you get a valid license for the docker image, placing the file to the right place just works so I confirm my gableroux/unity3d docker image works :)

I'll check if it's possible to only provide the license using env variables so that would be perfect. It's sunny outside so I'll continue working on this later.

Edit: I managed to get things working! have a look to my unity3d example project, details in readme:
    https://gitlab.com/gableroux/unity3d-gitlab-ci-example/

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  32. CameronSinfield

CameronSinfield

Just spent far too long figuring out this issue.

(In my case) Jenkins was running unity as the jenkins user, if you have put the license file in a different user's folder (i.e. have run unity and activated it via GUI, but not as the jenkins user) then it won't read that license file. My solution was to run jenkins as my logged in user - which may not be ideal - but successfully works with the license file generated from the UI.

Posting here for anyone who is silly enough to make the same mistakes as me.

33. twentysecond

twentysecond

I studied all stuff about license for 2 hours now and finally(?) stuck at this point. Haven't read/found a particular solution anywhere. Did you figure this one out? :)

Thanks!

EDIT: For anyone having the same problem, the filename has to be Unity_lic.ulf, then it works.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  34. doctorpangloss

doctorpangloss

I think you should enable that.

35. AstroCool

AstroCool

Hello,

Sorry for bumping up this thread but I struggled with activation on my Linux server. What helped me is combination of different workarounds, thanks everyone for posting, here is short summary:

To activate Free license on the server:

1. Copy Unity Editor Linux to server.

2. Install dependencies, for ubuntu 18.04:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. sudo apt install gconf-service lib32gcc1 lib32stdc++6 libasound2 libc6 libc6-i386 libcairo2 libcap2 libcups2 libdbus-1-3 libexpat1 libfontconfig1 libfreetype6 libgcc1 libgconf-2-4 libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 libgl1-mesa-glx libglib2.0-0 libglu1-mesa libgtk2.0-0 libnspr4 libnss3 libpango1.0-0 libstdc++6 libx11-6 libxcomposite1 libxcursor1 libxdamage1 libxext6 libxfixes3 libxi6 libxrandr2 libxrender1 libxtst6 zlib1g debconf npm
    2.1 Install 'xvfb-run'
    3. Run for the first time command (password and username should be always in " "):
    Code (CSharp):
    1. xvfb-run --auto-servernum --server-args='-screen 0 640x480x24' <path_to_editor_folder>/Editor/Unity -l -logFile -batchmode -nographics -username "<login_email>" -password "<password>"
    You will get output with ending similar to this:

"Cancelling DisplayDialog: Failed to activate/update license Timeout occured while trying to update license. Please try again later or contact support@unity3d.com
    This should not be called in batch mode."

Ignore it and proceed:

3.1 Scroll up and copy xml data that starts with '<?xml' and ends with '</root>'. Save it as 'unity3d.alf'

3.2 Go to 'https://license.unity3d.com/manual use your 'unity3d.alf' and activate (for me it worked from second time). Rename downloaded file to 'Unity_lic.ulf'.

4. Put 'Unity_lic.ulf' on Linux server in following folder '~/.local/share/unity3d/Unity/'.

5. Run it again:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. xvfb-run --auto-servernum --server-args='-screen 0 640x480x24' <path_to_editor_folder>/Editor/Unity -logFile /dev/stdout -batchmode -username "<login_email>" -password "<password>"
    Enjoy.

yw14205 likes this.