Search Unity

5.3 released

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by SaraCecilia, Dec 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBR-games

JBR-games

Hi i was wondering if anyone else was having an issue where unity 5.3. Seems to install fine but when i start it up it just freezes up on the screen where you select the project. Restarted computer. Reinstalled unity several times . but everytime it froze up with a blank window. Using windows 10 64 bit. Reinstalled 5.2.3 and works fine again.. Guess for the time being i cant upgrade.

beginner5 likes this.
  2. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Bug from beta still in release: In multi-scene mode, if any object from one scene references an object in a different scene (in inspector or at runtime), it duplicates the objects. This makes MSE basically unusable for most cases I can think of.

3. Ilingis

Ilingis

The lighting behaves differently in 5.3 in comparison to previous versions. I had a scene with a few spot lights creating a nice effect and now in 5.3 the effect is gone. Were the lights broken before and now they are fixed or is there a different reason for this to be happening?

4. jldevoy

jldevoy

Judging from my messed up GI scene im assuming 5.3 is broken.

5. minimalic

minimalic

Same here… Realtime GI on non-static objects doesn't work anymore.

6. Chris-Ramer

Chris-Ramer

I hope this is not the case. I am about to install 5.3.0f4. In my current project, I have several UI objects that are children of children of children (basically the grandchildren of the canvas). It was not easy getting everything aligned properly.

But it is possible to downgrade. Just install a previous version of Unity (that works for you). I would recomend not saving your project while the alignment is messed up because I would assume that Unity is changing the values of all the positions, alignments, etc. from that of what they were in a prior version (ie. In 5.2.x, a text object is at X: 250, Y: 200, Z: 0, then in 5.3 that text object is at X: 127.963, Y: 67.248, Z: 0). I would think that if you saved their new positions that going back to 5.2.x would keep those same values. But I'm just spitballing this because I really don't know.

Anyways, I hope you find a solution!

- Chris

7. RoyalCoder

RoyalCoder

Hi friends,

I moved to the latest version 5.3.0f4 ... and I got a issue/bug with 2D Colliders , if the object with 2D Collider is moving(changing position) or have Animator component on it , then the OnTriggerEnter2D or OnCollision2D not working , please how can I fix this issue ? Thanks !

8. Chris-Ramer

Chris-Ramer

Alright, I've finally finished the 20gb installation process. I am glad to say that problems that I have commented on that people have mentioned in this thread have not been an issue for me. Collisions are working fine, no changes in positioning of any objects (as far as I know...).

The only problem I see right off the bat is with time delayed events that use yield WaitForSeconds. Any events that use the WaitForSeconds yield instruction are off quite a bit, to the point of making my game unplayable. I blame the new custom yield instructions for this, and I think I read somewhere that the time scale in 5.3 has been modified from that of 5.2.x, so that would probably be the main culprit if that is the case.

I will play around with 5.3 more and I'll let you guys know if I come across any other problems.

- Chris

9. Chris-Ramer

Chris-Ramer

As I've said in my prior message:

I am using both OnTriggerEnter2D and OnCollisionEnter2D on a moving game object that has an animation that is constantly playing. Not only is the object changing its X and Y positions, but it is also rotating along the Z axis.

It sounds like this problem applies to only a select, unlucky few. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling 5.3.0f4? If not, then you might consider doing so. Let me know if reinstalling works/doesn't work for you. You're probably not the only one with this problem.

- Chris

10. Chris-Ramer

Chris-Ramer

It worked fine for me on Windows 8.1 Pro. I bet it has something to do with the components you selected during the installation process. Maybe certain component(s) are incompatible with Windows 10? Have you tried selecting different components or tried installing just Unity itself and nothing else?

- Chris

11. SteveJ

SteveJ

Apologies if it's been answered - I assume with the way each build target is now a separate option in the installer, this doesn't have any lasting effect on the license or anything like that? e.g. say I install 5.3 right now with just the Mac build option, I can just rerun the installer at any time and overwrite my current installation, with more options (like iOS build target)... right?

12. Chris-Ramer

Chris-Ramer

I would assume that it would not affect the license, but you'd have to ask someone that actually knows the answer. @Aurore or @superpig would probably be able to answer that.

Just to cover the bases for my project, I installed the build targets that I intend to build to.

Sorry I can't be of more help to you, but I figured I'd share my thoughts on the matter. :)

- Chris

13. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I am 99.9% certain it has nothing to do with the license.

Chris-Ramer likes this.
  14. SteveJ

SteveJ

I am too, but just wanted to be sure. I was also curious about what happens with a project that was last saved with a Windows build target (for example), and you now open it on a machine where you only have MacOS build target installed. I assume it just runs the standard reimport thingy of all the assets, and doesn't instead poo itself. i.e. I guess I'm asking if there's any flags in projects themselves re build targets, and I guess the logical answer is no.

15. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I *think* I did that and it does what you said (auto change to a project type it can open and reimports everything)

16. Lion-Jin

Lion-Jin

I have the same issue, Using windows7 - 32bit.

17. Xspeed

Xspeed

upload_2015-12-10_12-24-52.png
    Looks like unity coming in multiple parts. So,
    if i need to make a windows game, i have to download 'UnitySetup<>.exe' and
    'UnitySetup-windows-Support-for-Editor.exe', am i Right or wrong ?

what 'UnitySetup<>.exe' and what can i do by installing only
    'UnitySetup<>.exe' ?

Someone said "Unity is become HUGE".
    but it is small as 336 MB for just windows Development.

18. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

We officially do not support downgrading a project across versions of Unity. You should always back up your project before upgrading; if you need to downgrade, revert to the backup.

That's correct, the parts you install have no effect on your license.

You're right.

UnitySetup<>.exe is the Editor itself, and it only includes the Webplayer as a supported platform if you do not install any of the other packages.

AlenH likes this.
  19. enhawk

enhawk

Good luck with the 2D collider fix, I hope you guys managed to track that one down! :)

20. nxrighthere

nxrighthere

Guys, can you also separate installation of MonoDevelop and Unity in Download Assistant? MonoDevelop always installs when I download Unity through it.

Vanamerax likes this.
  21. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Had you signed in to the Editor before? Could you report a bug and post the number here please, it might be something elusive we've been trying to track down.

22. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Is there a bug number?
    There's a thread on this here http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-2d-trigger-box-colliders-not-working-on-5-3.372615/

23. fafase

fafase

Had to revert to older version since Vuforia seems not ready for it (linker issue in xcode).

Also, weird bug on UI sprite randomly changing their content to ... screen view snapshot?! Yes, one of my sprite got to display a miniature of a screen snapshot. Restarting unity would set it back to normal until showing screen view again. Tho, the sprite shows proper content.

I also had a mask issue on UI where two identical prefabs, one would show fine while for the other got the mask to simply hide the whole thing.

If you don't understand what I describe, well make sense since it did not make sense to me either. I can't submit any bug report since 5.3 is gone from the machine.

All in all, we'll wait for a few patches before moving on.

24. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

25. Eths

Eths

upload_2015-12-10_19-20-48.png
    I updated my project from 5.1 to 5.3, but my scene is F***ed up :O what should I do!!

Also can anyone help me update this C# script to the new scene management ?
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using UnityEngine.UI;
    3. [AddComponentMenu("Silver Bullet/Videos and Cutscenes/Play Video")]
    5. public class IntroVideo : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     ///Variables
    8.     public MovieTexture[] Videos;
    9.     public AudioClip[] Audios;
    10.     public AudioSource[] Audiosources;
    11.     public bool[] Skipable;
    12.     public int VideosNumber;
    13.     private float Timer;
    14.     private bool VideoIsPlaying = false;
    15.     public int CurrentVideo = 0;
    16.     public GameObject GameObject;
    17.     public Canvas VideoCanvas;
    18.     public RawImage VideoRender;
    20.     void Awake () {
    21.         Timer = Videos[0].duration;
    22.         Audiosources[0].Stop();
    24.     }
    27.     void OnGUI(){
    29.     }  
    30.     void PlayVideo(){
    31.         if (CurrentVideo == 0) {
    32.             if (Videos[0].isReadyToPlay == true && VideoIsPlaying == false) {
    33.                 Audiosources[0].Stop();
    34.                 VideoIsPlaying = true;
    35.                 Videos[0].Play();
    36.                 Audiosources[0].clip = Audios[0];
    37.                 Audiosources[0].Play();
    38.             }
    39.         } else if (CurrentVideo  < VideosNumber || CurrentVideo == VideosNumber) {
    40.             if (Videos[CurrentVideo].isReadyToPlay == true && VideoIsPlaying == false) {
    41.                 Videos[CurrentVideo-1].Stop();
    42.                 VideoIsPlaying = true;
    43.                 Audiosources[CurrentVideo-1].Stop();
    44.                 Timer = Videos[CurrentVideo].duration;
    45.                 Videos[CurrentVideo].Play();
    46.                 Audiosources[CurrentVideo].clip = Audios[CurrentVideo];
    47.                 Audiosources[CurrentVideo].Play();
    48.                 if(!Audiosources[CurrentVideo].isPlaying)
    49.                 {
    50.                     Audiosources[CurrentVideo].clip = Audios[CurrentVideo];
    51.                     Audiosources[CurrentVideo].Play();
    52.                 }
    53.             }
    54.         }
    55.     }
    56.     void Update(){
    57.         Cursor.visible = false;
    59.         if ((CurrentVideo == VideosNumber) && !Application.isLoadingLevel)
    60.         {
    61.             VideoRender.texture = Videos[CurrentVideo];
    62.             if (VideoIsPlaying == false)
    63.             {
    64.                 PlayVideo();
    65.             }
    66.         }
    67.         if ((CurrentVideo < VideosNumber) && !Application.isLoadingLevel)
    68.         {
    69.             VideoRender.texture = Videos[CurrentVideo];
    70.             if (VideoIsPlaying == false)
    71.             {
    72.                 PlayVideo();
    73.             }
    74.         }
    75.         if (!Application.isLoadingLevel) {
    76.             Timer -= Time.deltaTime;
    77.             if (Input.GetKeyDown ("space")) {
    78.                 if ((CurrentVideo < VideosNumber) && Skipable[CurrentVideo]) {
    79.                     CurrentVideo ++;
    80.                     VideoIsPlaying = false;
    81.                     PlayVideo ();
    82.                 } else if ((CurrentVideo == VideosNumber) && Skipable[CurrentVideo]) {
    83.                     GameObject LoadingObject = GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag("LoadingController");
    84.                     LoadingScene Loading = (LoadingScene)LoadingObject.GetComponent(typeof(LoadingScene));
    85.                     PlayerScreen.StartLoadingScreen();
    86.                     Audiosources[CurrentVideo].Stop();
    87.                     Videos[CurrentVideo].Stop();
    88.                     VideoCanvas.gameObject.SetActive(false);
    89.                     Loading.LoadingAsync = Application.LoadLevelAsync (1);
    90.                 }
    91.             }
    92.             if (ControlsAndConfigure.GetJoySticksConnected() > 0 && Input.GetKeyDown (KeyCode.JoystickButton2)) {
    93.                 if ((CurrentVideo < VideosNumber) && Skipable[CurrentVideo]) {
    94.                     CurrentVideo ++;
    95.                     VideoIsPlaying = false;
    96.                     PlayVideo ();
    97.                 } else if ((CurrentVideo == VideosNumber) && Skipable[CurrentVideo]) {
    98.                     GameObject LoadingObject = GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag("LoadingController");
    99.                     LoadingScene Loading = (LoadingScene)LoadingObject.GetComponent(typeof(LoadingScene));
    100.                     PlayerScreen.StartLoadingScreen();
    101.                     Audiosources[CurrentVideo].Stop();
    102.                     Videos[CurrentVideo].Stop();
    103.                     VideoCanvas.gameObject.SetActive(false);
    104.                     Loading.LoadingAsync = Application.LoadLevelAsync(1);
    105.                 }
    106.             }
    107.             if (((Timer < 0 || Timer == 0) && (CurrentVideo < VideosNumber))) {
    108.                 if (VideoIsPlaying == true) {
    109.                     CurrentVideo ++;
    110.                     VideoIsPlaying = false;
    111.                     PlayVideo ();
    112.                 }
    113.             }
    114.             if ((Timer < 0 || Timer == 0) && (CurrentVideo == VideosNumber)) {
    115.                 GameObject LoadingObject = GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag("LoadingController");
    116.                 LoadingScene Loading = (LoadingScene)LoadingObject.GetComponent(typeof(LoadingScene));
    117.                 PlayerScreen.StartLoadingScreen();
    118.                 Audiosources[CurrentVideo-1].Stop();
    119.                 Videos[CurrentVideo-1].Stop();
    120.                 VideoCanvas.gameObject.SetActive(false);
    121.                 Loading.LoadingAsync = Application.LoadLevelAsync(1);
    122.             }
    123.         }
    124.     }
    125. }

26. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Unity 5.3 for Windows 7 32 bit is currently being fixed, so you will soon be able to use it.

Eths likes this.
  27. Eths

Eths

Sara , what about my bug above? check it out please. I don't know what's wrong with my scene, also please make some video tutorials about the new scene management , it's really confusy.

28. mgear

mgear

Is there some 5.3 patch coming tomorrow (friday) or only next week ?

Because its ludum dare weekend, hesitating to use 5.3 if hit some of these issues..

29. AmazingRuss

AmazingRuss

Just wanted to say THANK YOU OMIGODTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU to UT for GREATLY improving the Monodevelop experience. So many little irritations gone, and a few big ones. I've been suffering Monodevelop for years, and working with the new version yesterday was an absolute pleasure. At the end of the day,I was 30% less stabby, and that's a win for me and for anybody in my immediate vicinity!

30. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Patch 1 is next week. For what it's worth, while people here are reporting issues, I've also been seeing lots of people (on Twitter, Facebook, etc) who report that they've upgraded their projects without problems. So, YMMV...

31. Ilingis

Ilingis

I don't get why the lighting (spot lights) is so "wrong" in 5.3. Now, a spot light has a cartoony feel to it and I really don't understand why. Have you changed anything to lighting quality in Unity? Is there an option to go back to the previous OpenGL and will this affect the lights at all?

32. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

In the update instructions, it says they added a clip plane slider to spot lights and that you'll have to tweak it on existing spot lights.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  33. Ilingis

Ilingis

It seems to work now after some tweaking. Thanks, makeshiftwings!

34. Mr-Podunkian

Mr-Podunkian

There's an issue with the Animation Window where rotations don't get properly recorded in record mode...

Case #752955

JamesArndt likes this.
  35. artysta

artysta

This was one of the unexplained things I saw and went back to 5.2

JamesArndt likes this.
  36. Xspeed

Xspeed

So, Web player is the main unity platform. Others are optional.

Looks like new unity version have lot of issues, I think keep old version and download the next fixed version.
    I haven't downloading Unity 5.3. i'm still in 5.0. I'll try 5.3.1 or 5.4 in March or April / 2016.

37. fafase

fafase

Here is how it could be understood:

"Some newbies reported that they successfully managed to move a cube on a plane using arrows with Unity 5.3. We at Unity consider that a victory."

So, definitely YMMV.

Honest, I don't mind waiting to upgrade but this kind of statement from a Unity representative sounds a bit offset after hundreds of complaining replies.

09cobaltss and PeterB like this.
  38. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

It's not just n00bs who were able to upgrade their projects without problems; please don't be unpleasant for the sake of being unpleasant. The point is that, like always, for everything on the internet, people with problems post (for obvious reasons) and people without problems rarely post. That doesn't mean the problems don't exist, but it's very easy to get a distorted view of the actual situation.

--Eric

HiddenMonk and hopeful like this.
  39. fafase

fafase

:D

To get back on the original track, we could not use Unity5.3 with Vuforia and it seems Vuforia is not ready for it.
    Dunno if the weird UI experience (sprite changing content, pink on device) was due to Vuforia screwing it all or the fact that -force-clamped was required to use UniWebView.

Seems like too many changes happens in that release and plugin developers were taken short on time.

40. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

It is hard to judge what you mean by wrong lighting from spots, please post a screenshot.

41. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Yes, we are looking into it.

nxrighthere, Luckymouse and hopeful like this.
  42. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

It should work just fine. Can you be more specific? Did you file a bug report with an example scene.

43. Tomer-Barkan

Tomer-Barkan

This new version generates lots of obsolete warnings with the latest Unity Test Tools. Any plans on updating these tools any time soon?

44. vakabaka

vakabaka

I have black screen, if builded on android 2.3.3. Any tipps for me ? :( (yes, i can roll back to 5.2)

45. zenrarck

zenrarck

Are you goind to fix the Unet error ? our game was okay with the 5.2.3 but since we went to the 5.3 it's messed up

46. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

looks like I'll be backing off 5.3 until next major 5.3.x update... :D

PeterB, nxrighthere and MrSkyhenge like this.
  47. JBR-games

JBR-games

@Aurore. (Case 753190) unity will not load project selection screen.

I have signed into the editor with 5.2.3 but i cant get that far with 5.3 just a blank window where i would either log in or select a project . i also tried only downloading the editor and windows build. Didnt change anything.

If i can give you anymore info please let me know. Thanks

48. Khash-Firestorm

Khash-Firestorm

"It's not just n00bs who were able to upgrade their projects without problems; please don't be unpleasant for the sake of being unpleasant. The point is that, like always, for everything on the internet, people with problems post (for obvious reasons) and people without problems rarely post. That doesn't mean the problems don't exist, but it's very easy to get a distorted view of the actual situation.

--Eric"

For the sake of argument, I would like to report that there was numerous of issues which you can easily overcome, but it requires time. Overaal they were mostly related to the fact that previous versions had issues which were in different ways bypassed or tricked to work as intended and now with changes (eg to text fields) we had to update ~500 text fields. But to be fair issues we had are not regression, they are improvements and fixes which simply require some work and I'm very happy with 5.3 build for now :D
    we are going to push our game to beta branch today/tomorrow and we will see if we did not miss anything critical, but until then +1 from me for the 5.3 patch. Good job Unity!!!!

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  49. beppim

beppim

I was able to recognize a few problems I had:

1. Management of fonts has changed. The fonts I was using, differently from the standard one, has a pivot in the CENTER of the character and so all characters align.... on the edge of the text window. This is probably a bug. The font used is SHOWG.TTF on Windows.
    2. The behaviour of OnTriggerExit() changed. Creating (or resizing) an object INSIDE a box collider that worked as boundary triggered the exit exactly 6 times (I don't know why this number) for 6 succesive frames. This is probably a bug.
    3. Lights behave differently. All seem overexposed. A point light that I even forgot of its existance appeared in my scene as a strong lamp. Probably this is just a tuning.

Other small problems arose but were not so important as these two.

50. jldevoy

jldevoy

5.3 seems to be baking in shadows from lights when it shouldn't be, in my simple scene i have a ball that isnt marked as static...in 5.2.3 the baking is correct, in 5.3 a shadow is clearly being baked from the ball onto the wall behind it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.