Search Unity

5.3 released

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by SaraCecilia, Dec 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadeless

Shadeless

I was really looking forward to this update but it's been such a let down for my project. =/

You made some changes in Physics2D which affected my custom 2D Character Controller, so I'm reverting to a previous version to Debug my Physics2D checks and see which results are getting screwed up.

Not even the UI Dropdown component is fixed when timeScale is 0... And you posted a blog post of a fix.

I'm hoping some patch release will contain more fixes.

2. tohmjudson

tohmjudson

OK, seriously. I have been dying for this update only for the multi displays. Not surprisingly, the Multi Display is STILL not working. Is there any chance of this ever working without having to hack it together? I have tried it on Mac and on PC. Is there something I am missing? Could someone at Unity please test this and share a demo that works, because nothing I do seems to fix this. We (the community) have been asking about this for years and have gotten no response. Help!

3. sebsmax

sebsmax

It's problematic for some level using pale blue, with white items over it. Now we don't see items anymore :)
    it looks like our game is much more saturated (but not on all levels)

4. mgear

mgear

How to get old fonts back?

It should have same font on both, but looks different..(?)

**Solved: Courier new/10

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  5. LSpring

LSpring

On a positive note, I'm getting a noticeable performance improvement with 5.3

No metrics, but my procedural scene elements are generating more quickly which gives me a larger visible area on startup and there is a visibly noticeable increase in framerate consistency (smoothness).

AcidArrow likes this.
  6. Jaimi

Jaimi

Oh great - mipmaps on rendertextures are broken. I'll post a bug, but for now my game really looks terrible. :(

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    lloydsummers likes this.
  7. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

My friend is installing 5.3 on a new Windows 10 machine and without him actively selecting anything the installer started installing or downloading Visual Studio (is this normal?) and then it hung for about 30 min about 80% in. Then he killed the Visual Studio download and that caused the Unity installer to continue and finish successfully. Has anyone else had this Visual Studio installer automatically start and then hang about 80% in?

soft_sound and Fronne like this.
  8. jldevoy

jldevoy

You sure it was hung? It can take VS forever to scatter load bits all over your system.

9. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

Yes, I'm using the 'c# Script' entry directly under 'new folder'. This is happening in both existing and new projects.

10. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Bizarre. I've just tried to reproduce this on OS X using 5.3.0f4 and it's working just fine for me. Could you submit a bug report (with the empty project you tested it in) so we have your system information, etc?

11. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

Will do :)

12. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

Very excited about the multi-scene stuff! It looks really slick so great job UT!

What is Shadows.PrepareShadowmap? It looks related to the new particle optimizations and its destroying my performance. Every few seconds it causes a 150 ms long frame.
    PrepareShadowmap.jpg

13. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

This is another thing killing my performance that wasn't there before. BatchRenderer.Flush takes half a second sometimes. Its also related to ParticleSystems. I forgot to expand the group in the screenshot but within BatchRenderer.Flush is stuff like ParticleSystem.GeometryJob, ParticleSystem.ScheduleGeometryJobs and such.

BatchRenderer-Flush.jpg

mgsteinkamp and dreasgrech like this.
  14. orb

orb

This is unbelievably disappointing. If I quoted mine and other people's opinions from discovering that, you'd ban me for language. Not just censor the post, but outright ban me.

It's been literally literally (as in original "literally") *years*.

15. McGreagor

McGreagor

I am confused I went into my unity and did a check for updates and it says you are currently up to date version 5.2.1f. Do i have to completely download unity again?

16. orb

orb

They never post the actual latest to the update URL that the editor reads, because they want to stagger updating in case of issues. This has always been the case.

17. dong-yeon

dong-yeon

I downloaded the Unity 5.3 32bit without passing through the automatic installer directly.
    But, in that the installer has not been included (windows, android) modules.
    So I had a hard time. Fix it!!

IdrilKalean and lloydsummers like this.
  18. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

Just updated to the new multi-scene editing. Its just as slick as it looks. My world is now streaming without too much of a hitch. And even better, its really easy to unload parts of the world to improve editor performance while I'm focusing somewhere. This has been one of the most exciting feature updates for me! Great work UT!

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  19. Tortyfoo

Tortyfoo

To reduce download size platforms are now separate downloads. You still need to install the windows and android add-ons. To get them you need to use the installer or get the torrent from the additional downloads drop down and then just pick the platforms you need.

20. Chris-Ramer

Chris-Ramer

I'm currently installing Unity 5.3. It's getting late, so I won't be working on it until tomorrow though, but I can't wait!

I've read the release notes and have found several changes & fixes that apply PERFECTLY to my current project! In particular: Improved particle collisions, WebGL support, Multi-Scene Editing, and 2D Placeholders. I will also make good use of the new scriptable functions for the new particle variables. But most of all, I will LOVE the custom yield instructions! I have been trying to find a work around for a certain time delayed event this past week, but now I can create a custom yield instruction to save me the trouble of rewriting the code (again)!

Thank you so much UT! You guys are the best! :)

21. enhawk

enhawk

Just FYI but OnCollisionEnter2D and OnTriggerEnter2D seem to be broken or unresponsive in 5.3.

22. Chris-Ramer

Chris-Ramer

If that's true, then I will be in for a very rude awakening tomorrow, seeing as how basically every object in the main scene has an OnCollisionEnter2D event... I hope you're wrong. ;)

23. Seto

Seto

It's inconvenient to install separate targets with x86 and x64 both installed. The installation would be troublesome to change the path one by one.

24. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Offline documentation.. can't find them.

I downloaded via the torrent. After installation the shortcut to the docs, which installer created, leads nowhere. I checked the Unity folder and there is no Documentation folder like I have with 5.2.

25. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

The ambient in 5.3 looks really weird:
    5.3 ambient.jpg
    It is an empty scene that use default skybox and a sphere object. The attached picture is using skybox ambient, see the orange on the bottom of the sphere in linear colour space? Matter of fact if i use the gradient ambient. more blue on the sky colour, then i got more orange on the bottom. It is really mess-up.
    Also the ambient in gamma colour space doesn't look correct either.

I'm on my Macbook Air, OSX10.9,GeForce 320M. I tested on my other Windows laptop, it got the same problem.

26. Sparkline

Sparkline

Seems that new version has unpleasant bug! Or is that a new physics behaviour?
    If a rigidbody inside a trigger-collider changing its isKinematic value this fires OnTrigegrExit function though it still inside trigger. I hope that it is not new feature but a bug.

27. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Sounds like a bug. Can you create a bug report please?

28. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Yup, I discovered this too late sorry, because we've compartmentalised the editor so you don't have to instal every build option you may not need, the editor alone has no build options.

So if you need the whole editor with all the options (useful for mass installations) you'll need use the Download Assistant on one machine. Select all the components you want/need to install go through the assistant until you get to the location selection, (I tested this on Mac so it should be similar on PC).

Screen Shot 2015-12-09 at 12.31.23.png

When at the destination selection, click advanced then "choose custom location" (you can choose anywhere you like) This will download ALL OF THE THINGS including the build option components into that destination folder as separate installers.

Screen Shot 2015-12-09 at 12.31.42.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-09 at 12.32.07.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-12-09 at 12.39.48.jpg

You can copy these to any machine and install them, you will need to install them individually though. If you have less files than this, don't worry, the number of files will depend on the number of options you selected from the initial install from the Download Assistant.

Additionally, you can copy either the whole "Playback Engines" folder or the Unity Folder can be zipped and transferred between machines if needed.

For the Standard Assets and Example Project, you will need to download those separately from the download archive.

John3D, scharmanen55 and bsawyer like this.
  29. Aurore

Aurore

We have a thread on this there http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/5-3-multi-display-feature-issues.372604/

VS is now default on PC I believe, it can take a while to install. Did your friend check the task manager while it was happening.

I know, I'm sorry, we just ran into a huge block which meant moving it to 5.4.

You can run the download assistant again, uncheck everything (including the editor) and just check which build modules you want. Restart the editor and they will be there.

John3D likes this.
  30. Player7

Player7

yeh I use offline docs aswel, seems the torrent file had no local documentation... yet looky here..

Documentation 171mb ...

31. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Is it this?

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/bad-hdr-lighting-from-hdr-map.372657/

Luckymouse likes this.
  32. Vectorbox

Vectorbox

Liking the new Multi-Scene editing, nice one.

33. bdovaz

bdovaz

@Aurore we have a team where we want to download Unity one time only.

It's possible to have all "exe"s together and install them with the main installer (editor 64bits)? I mean, that it looks on the current path if they exists and install them and if not, download them.

34. pahe

pahe

+1
    This caused much more confusion that it solved problems. We investigated for half an hour a "bug" where several functions were missing, untill we realized that the downloaded editor only included the webplayer version o_O

35. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

This is exactly what the 'save files' option in the Download Assistant is for. Someone on your team should install Unity using the download assistant, but tell it to save the files to a known location; then when it's done you can just give those files to everyone else on your team without re-downloading anything.

36. chingwa

chingwa

When I installed 5.3 there was an error with the VS install portion. The error held up the rest of the install until I selected 'ignore'. I was surprised about the auto VS install as well, as I don't recall anything being mentioned about it on the install notes (but I probably overlooked it).

Bug 1: Scene cameras don't seem to preview the scene properly when set to Forward mode. Deferred works just as expected.

Bug 2: in the lighting tab the sub categories are missing the group triangles on the left side.

Beyond that the GI seems completely different in my project now (compared to 5.2) when ambient source is set to skybox. Looks like I'll have to read up on all the GI changes and figure out if this is saveable, otherwise I'll be reverting back to 5.2.

37. chingwa

chingwa

Here's the difference in the ambient GI contribution between 5.2.2 and 5.3. Same exact scene and lighting settings. It actually looks like there is very little contribution in 5.3 at all.

AlanGameDev, minimalic and goat like this.
  38. bdovaz

bdovaz

I supposed that it would be like that but I saw this answer:

39. Aurore

Aurore

They don't exist "together" anymore as in everything in one .exe, but my step above can get you a folder with all the .exe's you need. You can put them on a stick and copy them across.

Alternatively, once you install on one machine you can copy across the "Playback engines" folder to save you from installing all the individual build modules if you have a lot of them.

40. mutle_

mutle_

In case someone has the some problem: I managed to solve the problem with the Oculus warning dialog not disappearing by running "launchctl setenv Oculus_LibOVR_HSWToggleEnabled 1" to enable the option of disabling the warning in RiftConfigUtil.

41. beppim

beppim

This is a TOTAL NIGHTMARE! Everything, from the UI to the single objects, are now not aligned anymore, every collider, every button, every single text field, image, cursor.... has to be reset manually!! THIS IS A NIGHTMARE! Hundreds of objects because, I think, of a default alignment that changed! WHY?? Can we go back to the previous version??

42. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

I'm a sad panda. This release broke so much in my project, I don't even know where to start. Most of the stuff seems to work fine in the editor, but is totally broken when deployed to a mobile device.

43. engelcj

engelcj

Amazing update, great performance in old devices like on iphone 4, 50-60fps with the version 5.3 and old versions 25-30fps. Just i have problem with the "OnTriggerEnter2D" and "Font.CacheFontForText", I hope it's resolved soon.

44. Zeblote

Zeblote

Why does your installer look like that while mine looks crap?

Did you really make a better version for macs......

TC21, AlanGameDev, ZJP and 1 other person like this.
  45. jldevoy

jldevoy

The 5.3 lighting system seems to be very broken, as well as this i also have a realtime directional light creating baked shadows when it shouldnt and doesnt in 5.2.3.

46. Pequeno

Pequeno

I'm having a problem on my Nexus 5 Android Phone with my app.
    The whole UI seems to render randomly when I move parts of the UI.
    It seems it's putting in wrong sprites on the different images in my UI. - And it seems completely random. After this "redraw" everything goes to how it should be. Then when I start moving something, or I press a button, the UI seems to redraw (blink) again.

47. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Hi UT guys, anyone in unity team address the Ambient issues on 5.3 yet?

[EDIT]
    By the way, ambient lighting on static object seems fine. Ambient lighting is completely broken on non-static objects.

48. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

That's just what a standard installer looks like on OS X; Unity is just using default UI controls. So blame Microsoft.

--Eric

49. dhinksBA

dhinksBA

This works but is cumbersome compared to the previous method of the all-in-one installer. I am support staff and don't need to maintain a Unity installation on my workstation, I simply wish to provide the latest version for our employees on our file server. A download-only mechanism in the Download Assistant would solve this problem for the most part.

A great alternative would be providing the full installer as before but allow a custom installation path. The installer would contain all of the possible components, but let you choose which ones to install.

On another note, including Visual Studio Community edition by default (via the Download Assistant) is also troublesome. We are not allowed to use this due to licensing restrictions based on our revenue. However, the average employee would not be aware of this during the installation.

50. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.