Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

[5.3] Elements in the UI flicker between different sprites

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by ccontinisio, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Zimbres

Zimbres

Fixed here as well. My very thanks!

2. mogwhy

mogwhy

congrats!! and thank you. :) 80 hour bughunt is rough. respect!

3. Lee7

Lee7

I have the Image and Text flickering corruption in my UI on patch 5.3.2f1

EDIT: Did not know about "p" patches needing to be manually downloaded. Upgraded to 5.3.2p4. If you dont hear back from me, that means its fixed :p

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  4. Cromfeli

Cromfeli

I just tried upgrading to 5.3.2p4 from 5.3.2p2 and the UI started to swap the textures in editor. Wont upgrade until it is solid. Would have really needed the upgrade for the OnAudioFilterRead fix :(

Edit: Not appearing after reboot.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  5. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Do you have a project that shows this? I can not recreate the issue. The original flickering texture issue is fixed, it was caused by us setting the shader properties in a non-threadsafe way. If you have this issue in 5.3.2p4 then something else is going on and we need a bug report.

6. Cromfeli

Cromfeli

Started to make repro and before booted my computer and I can not reproduce it anymore. Seems it was some temporary anomality. Apologies!

karl_jones likes this.
  7. sara_conagher

sara_conagher

I had a really strange problem. The game I'm making in the Unity Editor had a strange glitch - whenever I looked left all my UI elements (I'm using only Images) were going insane changing their positions randomly, switching sprites etc.. As here was suggested I've installed new updates for Unity (right now I'm using 5.3.3p1 Personal) but it didn't help me. Apparently the thing that caused my problem was the water model I've used - WaterProNighttime, it was on the left from my player, but it wasn't showing in the camera's view because it was a little bit far away from the player and behind other models. In my case almost all of the water models from standard assets infected my UI - only WaterBasicDaytime and WaterBasicNightime seems to work fine for me. Why is this happening? I know that many other people had similar problems with UI elements in various contexts. Is there a solution? Did anyone else connected this problem to a certain version of the water model?

8. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Have you filed a bug report about this?

9. phil-Unity

phil-Unity

Unity UI Lead Developer Unity Technologies

Also are you on ma by chance? There is currently a known issue on mac when OpenGLCore is used. If you switch to OpenGL2 it might resolve the issue.

Cromfeli likes this.
  10. sara_conagher

sara_conagher

No, I haven't. Just discovered it. Should I report it officially? (the existence of this thread made me think that if this was a bug, it was already reported)

No, I'm working on Win 8.1.

11. Cromfeli

Cromfeli

I now upgraded to latest version 5.3.3p1 and it destroys rendering on Android and Mac with Vertex Lit. For Mac the disable of OpenGL Core fixed the glitch bug, but what a shock to see the Android / Mac builds being destroyed :(

12. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Please do file bug reports if you encounter issues. Don't assume someone else has already done it ;)

13. NIMBLE_JIM

NIMBLE_JIM

Just updated to 5.3.3 and all my flickering UI woes are over - thanks very much for the fix!

14. SimDevs

SimDevs

MrEsquire likes this.
  15. hidingspot

hidingspot

I can confirm the issue, 5.3.3p2 is has regressed back to UI flickering on my mac.

16. SimDevs

SimDevs

Switched back to 5.3.2.p1 as it's the only version that works great :/
    Hope they will fix it someday!

17. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

The mac flickering issue will be fixed in this weeks patch.

MrEsquire likes this.
  18. AlteredPlanet

AlteredPlanet

Hello,

just ran into the flickering issue as well latest patch and on windows build , in editor it works fine

19. HonorableDaniel

HonorableDaniel

I've noticed flickering in the editor in 5.3.3f1.

20. asperatology

asperatology

Can you all give bug report case numbers? Or better yet, make a GIF to show what's the current flicking issue looks like.

21. AlteredPlanet

AlteredPlanet

m

So, I figured out the issue was something else,sorry about that

22. AlteredPlanet

AlteredPlanet

23. x70x

x70x

Well, the flicker issue is still present in 5.3.3f1, but only in the editor. I made a build this morning and there is no UI flickering. I think it's still worth investigating though so that the in-editor problem can be resolved. Here is my bug report https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?766313_14dn4ctqsi8fh22q

24. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

What platform are you using? There is a bug with OpenGL that causes the flicker. A fix is on the way

25. SVC-Games

SVC-Games

Using 5.3.3f1. I have an animated sprite. If I load the scene and run the game, the first frame a sprite appears it won't show on the Game view. It appears ok in editor.

Example: Imagine a simple animation made of 4 sprites. Each sprite is shown for 3 frames and the animation loops after the 4th. Well, the first time I play that animation the first frame of each sprite won't show on the Game view. When the animation loops it shows perfectly.

It happens only the first time a sprite is shown. If I stop the game and restart the same scene it works ok. If I load another scene and reload the one with the animation the problem arises.

EDIT: Just created an exe of the game. It doesn't happen there, is it just in the Game view but not Scene view or the actual stand-alone game

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  26. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Sounds like you are using the 2D system, the UI and 2D systems are different internally so its unlikely to be related to the UI flickering bug. Can you try the latest patch, if the issue still happens file a bug report with a sample project so we can take a look.

27. Cripple

Cripple

Hey,

I have made a small repro project that shows a flickering issue within the Editor. (Unity 5.3.4f1 on Windows)

It happens when an UI Canvas is set to CameraSpace, and that camera renders that into a RenderTexture. Whenever the UI needs to be rebuild, Image swap their Sprites for a frame.

It doesn't seem to happen within a Player, but I might be wrong because this scene is really simple.

I have submitted a Bug report : https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?780185_m5j8bpjspb5j3jnv

28. x70x

x70x

This is the exact problem I am having. Seems to only be happening in CameraSpace and I am using Windows.

29. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

30. DGart.work

DGart.work

apparently disabling multithreaded rendering solves the problem

31. Kappe

Kappe

I still have the issue in 5.3.4f1. But I was able to get rid of it by using Edit > Graphic Emulation > No Emulation.

32. rootools

rootools

33. Cripple

Cripple

Did you find a fix for this ? This issue has been there for quite a while.

34. rootools

rootools

In my case this is some strangy limits on GameObject limits(or like this) in one canvas branch. I am already send repro project in support. They confirmed problem.

35. JasonAtUnity

JasonAtUnity

What do you set 'Graphic Emulation' Before?Few machines of my team encounter this problem when the other doesn't. I want to repro this problem stably.

36. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

I just fixed this. Its an issue with the sorting grid and inactive components. There is no workaround but a fix should be out in the next few weeks.
    For people who are having flickering/crashing issues one possible workaround is to change the sortingGridNormalizedSize to a larger value(default 0.1).

JasonAtUnity likes this.
  37. xjqxzyr

xjqxzyr

No,I don't think so.In my project,I did not use grid or someting related to sorting.The flick exist on a InputFiled component and a button where appeared on an android device but not any emulator !Version 5.3.2p2

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  38. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

The
    The grid is used for all UI components. Not to be confused with grid layout.

39. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Try 5.3.2p4 or later. These have the fix for the original flickering issue.

ainaruth likes this.
  40. xjqxzyr

xjqxzyr

Ok,Thank you very much! I tried the 5.3.4 p4 ,The problem has been solved!

ainaruth and karl_jones like this.
  41. cr4y

cr4y

Unfortunately it seems there is regression here.

5.2.4f1: Works
    5.3.2p4: Works
    5.3.4f1: Flickers
    5.3.4p4: Flickers
    5.3.4p6: Flickers
    5.3.5f1: Flickers

We were also testing on beta branch with same result week ago.

42. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Hi.
    There are many things that can cause flickering. The original issue was due to threading which we fixed in 5.3.4p4. There is another issue with how we generate the sorting grid which has an incoming fix however it could be something else. The best thing to do is submit a bug report with a project that shows the issue so we can determine what is causing your flickering.

43. igrir

igrir

It seems an active issue.I had an issue with flickering and scaling on 5.3.0. When the user has bigger monito, the canvas would stretched out. Fortunately it looks great on 5.3.5f1. No flickering and scaling issue anymore! I think we should migrate to 5.3.5 soon

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  44. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Great. We have an upcoming fix in 5.3.5p2 that also fixes some flickering issues.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
    JasonAtUnity likes this.
  45. Zihaben

Zihaben

Had terrible flickering on Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Lite with Unity 5.3.2, installing 5.3.5p1 solved the problem.

46. JasonAtUnity

JasonAtUnity

Unity5.3.5p3 fixes two terrible flickering issues of my project, one occurs in scrollview with RectMask2D, when the other occurs in some android devices, thanks.

47. neeksdk

neeksdk

Unity 5.3.5f1, UI text flickering only on mobile devices (iOS, Android). Report a bug with flickering example of date picker (case 812295). Can this be fixed?

48. otyx

otyx

Is it possible this has reappeared with 5.6.1f1 (Mac)? I have a scrollrect and the masked content pane scrolls fine in the editor but flickers terribly on iPhone 6S. I have tried using the rectmask2d but it does not help. Still debugging the problem in case it is something at my end...

(apologies for the necroposting)

49. VREpixcs

VREpixcs

Hi.

It seems like the flickering issue originally described (with texture atlases swapped rapidly) is still present in WebGL builds (tested with 2017.2.0f3 and 2017.2.0p4), in fullscreen only, as in the attached file flickering01.gif:

flickering01.gif

It really seems linked to sprites textures in 'multiple' sprite mode. The black background texture used on the top right for the 'VMG' was in 'multiple' sprite mode, and switching to 'single' mode fixed the problem for the whole screen.
    BTW you can clearly see a font texture displaying instead of the icon of the blue button.

The issue remains elsewhere, and this time the trick wont work as it involves a font texture, imported via a .otf file, as in the attached file flickering02.gif:

flickering02.gif

Any idea?

PS: sorry for the quality of the gifs...

50. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Flickering can be a result of many different issues. Its hard to say what yours is. Can you file a bug report?

unityunity