Search Unity

[5.3] Elements in the UI flicker between different sprites

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by CiroContns, Dec 10, 2015.

1. rzubek

rzubek

Got it. If there's anything we can do on our end to help, please let us know!

2. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

same problem here, in windows standalone builds.

3. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Hey. Do you still have the problem if you turn off multi threaded rendering? Possibly a threading issue. Let us know if it works for you.

shkar-noori likes this.
  4. User340

User340

I see the Multithreaded Rendering option for Android in the PlayerSettings. How do you turn it off on other platforms such as WSA?

5. BruceSteele

BruceSteele

Yes, we can't release anything until this bug is fixed, there are probably many more users who (a) Don't know it's a bug and (b) Haven't found this thread.

It would be good to have one place to look for current "Show Stopper" bugs - sadly it seems that virtually every version of Unity 5 released so far has thrown up several new ones and you can spend a lot of time trying to find some obscure thread where it's reported. Every time it comes to release a new App it seems we're stuck, waiting for weeks for a version of Unity stable enough to use which doesn't break something else. Very frustrating and costly!

6. m4a44

m4a44

So, I'm having a problem with this too (Building to Windows 10 and only 5.3 has been able to do that), and the best I can say is that it has something to do with the Sprite Packer or using sprite atlases (or not using them). If I group UI sprite elements together in a certain way, they won't flicker. But if one of those sprites is used somewhere else (using more than 1 sprite atlas on screen), it seems to break again....

7. chrisholdem

chrisholdem

Windows 10 x86_64.
    Standalone build in 5.3.1f1
    Have a noticeable amount of flicker, especially with a lot of active UI elements, but it seems like enabling the Multithreaded Rendering helped me reduce it.

8. rzubek

rzubek

Hmm, like _Daniel_ I don't see a multi-threaded setting either. This happens for Windows and OS X standalone builds - where should I look for a MT rendering setting on those?

(And yeah, it definitely feels like some kind of a race condition, doesn't it...)

9. Rizzonian

Rizzonian

We are having this issue as well. I it is holding up our ability to approach publishers so hopefully this gets fixed soon.

shkar-noori likes this.
  10. Alabatross

Alabatross

just ran into this one, but it only happens on my partners computer, not mine. We're running the same game build.

good to see its known

11. MalgoZF

MalgoZF

We ran into the same issue when building today. Hope this gets fixed soon as it's game-breaking for our UI heavy game.
    We rely on unity IAP so downgrading is not really an option.

12. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Are you able to share this project? I have not managed to recreate the issue on windows yet.

shkar-noori likes this.
  13. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

turning multi-threading off doesn't help...
    Windows 10 x64
    Standalone build in 5.3.1p2
    only flickers when UI is moved {ScrollRects} or animated!

14. guzzo

guzzo

http://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/ui-images-and-static-texts-glitch-on-5-dot-3

I think this bug is not taken as serious as it is. Priority should be higher than 4. Even if you don't have this issue when testing on your computer or your device, there is a high chance it will appear when testing on another (computer/device).
    This makes any project using uGUI unshippable.

And even worst if you don't know this issue exist and ship your product thinking it works perfectly you will find later that many users experience this ugly flickering.
    I think Unity should warn somehow developers to not ship games developed using uGUI and Unity 5.3+.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    Zimbres likes this.
  15. Alabatross

Alabatross

according to this: http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/984104/unity-51-ui-flickers-when-button-pressed.html

the bug has been rogue and persisted randomly from 5.1 to now 5.3

16. guzzo

guzzo

17. Rizzonian

Rizzonian

18. rzubek

rzubek

I added a multi-threaded rendering toggle as described here and then tried standalone builds with both MT enabled and disabled. There was no difference. Both flickered seemingly equally badly.

This is on standalone builds on OS X 10.11.2 on a mac mini late 2012 (intel hd graphics 4000), Unity 5.3.1f1

Bug report 756226 has a sample project attached that should show repro this very reliably on lower end hardware.

On Windows, I noticed the flicker happens more often on an older laptop, but very infrequently on a desktop. Maybe it requires integrated graphics to bring it out reliably.

Rizzonian and karl_jones like this.
  19. sovida

sovida

by the way,when i change the color space to linear,the ugui turned much blur.Is this cause?

20. asperatology

asperatology

May I see a screenshot?

I read all of the posts in here, but I never see a single screenshot depicting what issues they are seeing on their screens on Page 2. It all got me curious to see what issues do they look like, so I can compare them with mine.

21. sovida

sovida

ok,finally,i fake the shader of UIFont,like the image i upload,left is without fake,right with faked shader.The image also blur,i unchecked the create mipmap option,but i don't know why.

Attached Files:

22. asperatology

asperatology

That has nothing to do with flickerings, as far as I can tell. I even read both of the fonts easily, and it's so minor, that I feel there's nothing wrong with it, even if it's blurring only the edges due to some mipmapping issues.

At least, I thank you very much for the first ever screenshot shown on Page 2 of this thread.

23. sovida

sovida

My pleasure.

24. CxydaIO

CxydaIO

flickering is VERY hard to screenshot .. i'd say IMPOSSIBLE because flickering require at least 2 states ... At post #1 there is an animation which shows the bug exactly....

25. sovida

sovida

anyone who can upload a gif?

26. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

That's a bug we already fixed with linear space and UI elements. Which version are you using?

27. AverageProg

AverageProg

Getting the same issue, it's a pain because we need the 5.3 version to solve an android bug, and now this happens.

:-(

Edit: so I tried disabling mt rendering, and it seems to have fixed it. Will wait till the issue is fixed though to ship.

28. Tim-Colle

Tim-Colle

I am actually in "Color Space: Linear" with UI elements, and it is flickering with the windows x86_64 standalone build but not in the Unity editor. I am using Unity 5.3.1p2. (Happened also in 5.3.1)
    It is flickering a lot when the UI is often updated, like for our minimap.
    We sadly cannot share the project. Here is a gif (please see the minimap in the top right corner of the screen)

flickerIssue.gif

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
    shkar-noori likes this.
  29. illuminat

illuminat

Hi,

We have the same problem with flickering UI since updating to Unity 5.3. I don't really understand why this bug doesn't have a higher priority than 4 on the tracker. It's impossible to ship a game with this bug.

30. Gizmmoo

Gizmmoo

Same problem here. Random sprites flash through the entire ui from other elements on the canvas. Can't ship now until this has been resolved :( I'll see if I can get a gif, but the version in my project is much worse then even the gif before me for flickering.

(Edit) Also still present in 5.3.1p3

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  31. asperatology

asperatology

Priority 4: Because the game is still playable, but unshippable. Can be delayed.
    Priority 5: Crashes, however, means the game is unplayable and unshippable at all costs. Cannot be delayed.

That's how I looked at the priorities.

32. sovida

sovida

thanks for your reply,i'm using 5.3.0f4,i tried5.3.0+, all version,but another more worse thing happen,a lot of substance material turned pure red or green, i reimport the materials,but no help.now i am still 5.3.0, at least,just ui flickr...:(

i mean i update my project to higher vesion,not 0 to 1.

33. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Have you reported the substance issues?

34. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Update: The issue is classified as a P2(very high) priority however there are a lot of duplicate bugs which may have different priorities but they are all under the same overall issue.

Zimbres, User340, rzubek and 3 others like this.
  35. m4a44

m4a44

@karl.jones Can you give us a rough estimate as to when a fix could be out? There is the Windows 10 Unity contest deadline coming up really soon and we can't build on anything other than 5.3 currently.

36. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Not at this point. Once we have a fix then I can give an estimate but not until we have nailed down the problem.

37. Olipool

Olipool

Glad to see it is being worked on, we wanted to release a demo of our game tomorrow...going back to Unity 5.2.2 brings up other issues so I will leave that alone. Currently we are on 5.3.1f1 on Windows 7.
    It happens when
    a) I turn on and off the component Image (script) on UI Images
    b) when I enter an input box (see images before and after), it is flickering constantly on and off or more kind of switching sprites, this is really weired...

It does not occur in the editor, just as standalone, fullscreen and windowed.

I will try to strip it down to deliver a sample project for this but I don't know if the project will work with only the one GUI in question.

Thanks for caring!

38. Olipool

Olipool

Ok here comes a small condensed version of the project (sorry, cant upload, server says its too big...): http://we.tl/nxMtGk3jSJ
    You have to click in the input field from time to time, maybe input some text and wait a bit (this is not very deterministic...). Then from time to time the flickering will appear. In our actual project this is much more, I tried to play around a bit to make it flicker more often but to no avail.
    Hope this helps, if not, maybe I can get you access to our Bitbucket for the whole project.

karl_jones likes this.
  39. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Thanks we managed to repro with your project. We just had to put a 1000000 particles in to kill the framerate ;)
    Seems to be heavily linked to performance.

40. guzzo

guzzo

That makes sense. In my case UI flickering depends on the device in which I am testing:
    • In Editor (hundred of FPS): There is no noticeable flickering.
    • In my Moto G (60 FPS almost constantly): Flickering only occur when scrolling an HorizontalSnapScroller and it is really hard to notice (and most of the times works properly with no flickering).
    • Another device in which performance is about 30-50 FPS: Flickering appears always when scrolling and other UI actions.

41. Olipool

Olipool

Haha nice, glad to help, you are giving us such beautiful tools with Unity. It is anoying but unavoidable that there are bugs, I think no one hates them more than you ;)

p.s. by trying 1000000 particles my graphics driver crashed :D good olf intel HD

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    karl_jones likes this.
  42. MZaeemQ

MZaeemQ

Any Update about the problem guys ? It has been a long time now..

43. MZaeemQ

MZaeemQ

I am not having this problem in android builds, but in the editor and standalone(for windows).

44. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

No update. We are still looking into it. It will affect all platforms, the lower the frame rate the worse the problem gets which is why its less common on standalone and more on mobile.

shkar-noori and MZaeemQ like this.
  45. a-dogg

a-dogg

We're holding our breath on this one. Downgrading is problematic, and we've got a big pilot test in middle school computer labs in a few weeks (read: lower framerates are likely). Any movement, insight on the cause, or way to bestow some optimism?

Thanks Karl!

46. MZaeemQ

MZaeemQ

Thank you Karl for your reply. I hope the issue gets sorted out soon because many developers cant ship their games and are stuck at this point. As a-dogg said, We're holding our breath on this one..

User340 likes this.
  47. phil-Unity

phil-Unity

Unity UI Lead Developer

So we really are not sure what the cause is yet. Issue is according to our traces back to when the issue start it seems like it was near the start of the 5.3 cycle which means the change was over 4 months old. Pinpointing something wrong from that long ago is proving more difficult then expected but both me and Karl are working on it from different angles to try and find the issue asap. Once the issue is identified I hope it will be a simple fix and we can get something out to you guys.

To bestow some optimism why dont i just say we got our top men working on finding the solution. (also why I personally have been lacking on the forums as responding here is a luxury in time which i dont have atm).

48. Gizmmoo

Gizmmoo

I have a project that this problem replicates on all computers at my company no matter the OS its built on, which consists of 1 mac pro, 2 macbook pros, 2 Windows 8 machines, and a Windows 10 machine.

Its a standalone windows only game, and only glitches in the built version of the game. The menus in only 1 scene will have the same errors everyone lists above. And its very obvious when it does. The game runs on an extremely high end computer too. I don't have the specs in front of me, but if needed I can get them if it will help.

I'd love to share the project to you guys for debugging to help out, but I can't share it on this forum for company protocol reasons. I can share you guys a private message of a link to the project for download if you want! Let me know!

49. a-dogg

a-dogg

Hey Gizmmoo thanks for making the repro... check this out for instructions on getting it to them:
    http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/759081/how-can-i-create-a-minimal-reproducible.html

I would imagine you'd want to reference Issue ID # 753423 which is this bug (http://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/ui-images-and-static-texts-glitch-on-5-dot-3)

Gizmmoo and karl_jones like this.
  50. 2rusbekov

2rusbekov