Search Unity

[5.3] Crashing on play

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Kettlewell, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Kettlewell

Kettlewell

In previous versions I've not had any issue but now my editor is crashing when I press play, could anyone assist?

I've been told to post my editor.log from AppData so here it is, http://pastebin.com/uiVvCwTB.
    This is the crash.log that was attached to the bug reporter, http://pastebin.com/HauJYmRn.
    Finally the crash.dmp file, http://www.mediafire.com/download/1vn6d6pr13dz2e2/crash.dmp.

If someone can help me I would be eternally grateful and even if I have to send you my project then I will since my project is at the end and needs finishing off.

Thank you very much for your time.

2. RecursiveRuby

RecursiveRuby

I've been getting this as well. Driving me absolutely mad! How large is your project? Are you using many other plugins? It only happens to me in a project I have which is very large so it's making it very difficult to debug.

3. Pharan

Pharan

Same here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/5-3-keeps-crashing-on-entering-play-mode.372963/
    But that was a write access violation. Yours is a read.
    I had no problems with the previous builds. But 5.3.0 crashes a lot. Not always, but REALLY often.

Maybe we can narrow down the cause by comparing what we have in common.

I have a sneaking suspicion it's DOTween or some other DLL plugin.
    My project's not that big but it's not tiny either. Quite a number of scripts though.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  4. rebelincontrol

rebelincontrol

I too am using DOTween - also various P31 plugins, StoreKit, Admob, Etcetera. Mine is a large project, iOS, running on mac 10.11.1.

Trying to find any common denominators between us all experiencing this.

5. timr

timr

I am running mac 10.10 with GooglePlayGame services, Unity Ads, and Unity Analytics. I'm getting the same thing. I seemed to have stabilized things by removing GPGS, I then updated with the latest version (0.9.27 patch A) and things are still stable. I had Admob but I just deleted it as I am currently not using it. I think GPGS is installed in Admob so if there is a fix in GPGS, this may be something useful to try.

6. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Did you hit 'send' on the bug reporter already, and if so, what's the case number? With crash bugs, it's always helpful to submit a crash, even if you decide you don't want to attach the project (though please do, if you can!) because we have crash analysis systems that will process the report and help us deal with it faster - e.g. matching it up with similar crashes from other users so we can identify patterns.

7. Kettlewell

Kettlewell

I sent mine off just now (753859). This problem has persisted since 5.1 if I recall correctly and has prevented me from using Unity fully. I did search around for 5.2 issues like this and I found a few threads but no fixes.

As for my project, it's a small one for Android platforms and I use only one asset which is an anticheat one.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  8. Pharan

Pharan

@superpig Already sent a bunch. Every other time it crashes, I send the report. latest were 753828 and 753835

I figured it doesn't help if I send the same crash over and over again in frequent succession — ie. when it crashes again and again and again. On the other hand, not sending it enough may not represent how pissed off I am (and I assume other people are) about this.

Just out of curiosity, when is the soonest patch release?

Also, is anyone else calling Application.LoadLevel or SceneManager.LoadScene on Awake like this guy? http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/5-3-crash-when-application-loadlevel-is-called-on-awake.373607/

I was. I just moved it to Start. So far so good, but I'll keep an eye on it and see if it still crashes.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  9. Kettlewell

Kettlewell

Seems to have fixed my issue there, now to deal with all the listed other issues I've received since upgrading... wish I stayed on 5.1 to be honest.

10. rebelincontrol

rebelincontrol

Shortly after posting last night I also found calling SceneManager.LoadScene on Awake caused it - moving to Start fixed for me. Actually I've temporarily put a .1second yield before calling it, to be safe. I haven't had the crash since. Forgot to post in here - but that seems to be a solid temporary fix as others have reported as well.

11. Art-Leaping

Art-Leaping

Moving from Awake to Start also fixed it for me, but I'd like to be allowed to move it back to Awake, so hopefully this gets fixed in a patch and/or 5.3.1.