Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug 5.3 - Black Canvas in Scene View

Discussion in 'Linux' started by buronix, Dec 28, 2015.

1. buronix

buronix

Hi all,

I have an error in the Scene View, my Canvas is shown as Black, so its little difficult to use it.

Is this a known Error ? Any Solutions?

Thanks in Advance.
    Screenshot from 2015-12-28 21:42:20.png

2. Wulfara

Wulfara

This also happens to me sometimes on my desktop computer with Nvidia GTX 950 graphic card (with 358.16 propietary driver).

Curiously it never happened to me on my laptop with Nvidia 710M graphics (with propietary driver too).

I also get some graphical artifacts in KDE/Plasma on the desktop computer while everythings works just fine on the laptop so I guess that Nvidia drivers are not very polished for the GTX 950 yet and it may have something to do with this issue.

I tried configuring my card like this (/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf) and I have the feeling that the black-canvas issue happens less often than before but I cannot be 100% sure.

Code (csharp):
    1. Section "Device"
    2.         Identifier "Nvidia Card"
    3.         Driver "nvidia"
    4.         VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
    5.         Option "NoLogo" "true"
    6.         Option "ConstrainCursor" "off"
    7.         Option "UseEditDpi" "False"
    8.         Option "DPI" "96 x 96"
    9. EndSection

Be careful when editting Xorg configuration and make backups because you can get a system with broken graphics and you will need to fix it in console if that happens. Also don't try my config at all if you don't have a Nvidia graphic card (sorry if all of this sounds obvious but there is never enough security).

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  3. buronix

buronix

Thanks I will try to investigate with some similar values in the xorg file, but I have a Amd Radeon HD 6950 Family card.

I have a Linux Mint cinnamon 17.3 with propietary drivers.

4. Wulfara

Wulfara

I had very bad experiences with AMD cards on Linux (that's why I bought the GTX 950. I had a Radeon HD 6870 which was driving me crazy).

Most of the device options I posted won't work for AMD cards but you may find some useful tips for configuring your device here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMD_Catalyst

Edit: I forgot to mention that you can try to launch Unity with -force-opengl parameter. Much easier than configuring Xorg but it dind't solve anything in my case.

5. lefterisjp

lefterisjp

I am getting the same exact issue and am also seeing this black box along with other glitches in the executable I am producing. Simply trying to follow the "Roll a Ball" tutorial.

6. buronix

buronix

Its sad, I was trying to develop my game in Linux cause I love it, but I ended in windows again, the Editor is not ready for development, not only this kind of error or problems, the cpu is mad in idle, and there is a lot of glitches, the actions take almost 2 times... T_T its sad, maybe one day. at least it will be usefull to test Linux versioning, but not for main development.

7. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

It's labelled as experimental, so issues should be expected. The Linux editor does not claim to be stable. It is not intended for regular development in the current state, but rather for testing. Eventually all the major bugs will be sorted out and the editor will move to a more stable beta stage, then an official release will follow.

Edit: The canvas works for me in 5.3.1.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  8. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

[EDIT] - After reading in another forum thread about needing to reinstal nvidia drivers after installing Unity, I did that and it's working now.

I too am experiencing this.

Not sometimes, always.

Even with 5.3.1

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016