Search Unity

5.3 Android SG6 Framerate Dropped Significantly

Discussion in 'Android' started by sh0v0r, Dec 9, 2015.

1. sh0v0r

sh0v0r

My game is very low poly, all vertex colored, one shader, averages about 50 draw calls.

With 5.2.3 my Galaxy S6 would get a very high frame rate 60+, now I'm getting 15 FPS on average?

The Profiler tells me Camera.Render takes 2ms on average, so what on earth has made the performance tank so much?

2. Azmar

Azmar

I had 5.1.3f with Samsung S4, and I just upgraded to 5.3.0 with low poly. We were averaging around 33 fps, now we are also getting 15 fps on average too! No changes were done, I just upgraded and ran and huge fps drop, some serious regression going on here!

3. bitter

bitter

Unity Technologies

Can someone with a good repro please file a bug on this? And if possible include both projects, one 5.2 version and one for 5.3? Or just the 5.2 version if the project upgrades cleanly to 5.3.

4. jacknorrisuk

jacknorrisuk

Spending all my time trying to get round this issue at the moment; so will try to put in some decent bug reports asap.

5. bitter

bitter

Unity Technologies

Awesome! Thank you!

6. Brickush

Brickush

We had a similar problem with the 5.3 version. What worked was to uncheck Auto Graphics API from Android player settings and just leave OpenGLES2 and OpenGLES3 in the Graphics APIs list. Nice FPS and no pink screens.

7. bitter

bitter

Unity Technologies

@Brickush how did you order the graphic apis? Did you put ES 2.0 before ES 3.0?

8. Azmar

Azmar

I also submitted a bug report just now. I tried the Graphics API thing on an earlier version 5.1.3f and that didn't change anything so I left it. I literally removed the ES 3.0 option and it fps stayed the same on my device.

9. jacknorrisuk

jacknorrisuk

I submitted a bug report too. Have tried just about everything! Some settings changes simply make a different item on the profiler take up 40%-80% of the CPU. Usually SpriteRenderer.Render, Device.Present, or Present.BlitToCurrentFB, whatever that means...
    Either way, the exact same setup gives me a rock solid 60fps on an iPhone 5, whereas I am hilariously getting as low as 1fps on a Samsung S6!

Attached Files:

10. robertsze

robertsze

Same here. Nexus 7, stable 60fps with Unity 5.1, 5.2, 5.2.3p2. Now 30-45 fps with drops to as low as 15 fps. Nothing changed. Just opened project with 5.3 and downloaded.

11. sh0v0r

sh0v0r

From another thread:

"Our android build was 60 FPS using Unity 5.3.0f2, but we dropped below 30 after updating to the official release 5.3.0f4.
    After some testing we've managed to get back to our original frame rate by disabling the OpenGL ES3 so only OpenGL ES2 is being used"

12. robertsze

robertsze

This indeed did also fix our framerate problem, back to stable 60 fps.

13. Section-One

Section-One

I am also experiencing this issue. (haven't tried the workarounds suggested here yet).
    on 5.2 my game was running around 50fps. on 5.3 its around 20-30. (Android 5.1, Meizu MX4)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  14. Brickush

Brickush

I did not know that mattered! We have ES2 then ES3.

15. bitter

bitter

Unity Technologies

We have identified one performance regression that hits some GPUs. One thing that is affected is dynamic batching among other things. Switching to ES 2 could help on some devices because the GL extension that is causing the regression is not present on all devices. We have a fix for the problem which is being tested by QA now.

If any of you have submitted bugs with repro cases please post the case number here so we can confirm there is not some other issue that is also causing regressions.

16. Azmar

Azmar

Case 752206

17. actraiser3

actraiser3

Just to add one more post to the crowd. I also experienced a massive frame drop down on Kindle and Samsung devices and by removing ES3 support in the Player Settings, it went back to normal (60fps).

-act

18. mrm83

mrm83

unchecked Auto Graphics API from Android player settings as suggested above and it improved framerates for me on galaxy s5. 5.2 is still faster however.

19. jacknorrisuk

jacknorrisuk

The case number I submitted with this issue is 752100.
    Unfortunately, removing ES3 doesn't seem to make much of a difference to my project.

20. florianpenzkofer

florianpenzkofer

Unity Technologies

If I read the case description correctly this is not about a performance regression since Unity 5.3 but general bad performance, e.g. compared to iOS, right?

21. jacknorrisuk

jacknorrisuk

It would seem that it is the same performance regression since 5.3 that everyone else here is describing; I am only comparing it to iOS performance because we've just switched back to Android after everything went smooth on iOS, and are lost for why performance is so bad!

22. florianpenzkofer

florianpenzkofer

Unity Technologies

The case description says "We are seeing this occur across Unity 5.1, 5.2 and now 5.3 too.". That's why I was asking. :).

23. florianpenzkofer

florianpenzkofer

Unity Technologies

@jacknorrisuk I cannot reproduce the bad performance with the repro project of case 752100 on my SGS6, always hitting 60fps. So I'll be waiting for QA to handle this case. It would be good if you could add detailed software version of your device to the case ("adb shell getprop ro.build.fingerprint").

FYI, I'm using a version of Unity 5.3 that's closer to the yet unreleased 5.3.0p1 and that already includes the regression fixes for dynamic batching.

24. Section-One

Section-One

for me it is about performance regression since Unity 5.3 on android
    removing ES3 resolves it

25. jacknorrisuk

jacknorrisuk

Ah, my apologies! Yes, where it gets really confusing is that we can't seem to return our project to the performance we were getting before with previous Unity builds.

26. jacknorrisuk

jacknorrisuk

Okay, thanks for trying it! I will try to create another demo project to see if you can reproduce.

27. florianpenzkofer

florianpenzkofer

Unity Technologies

I had a look at the repro project in the case. The regression fixes for dynamic batching that should hopefully be in Unity 5.3.0p1 significantly improve the performance on at least the Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900F). I only had a short look, so I will leave this case open for QA.
    Can you please list at least some of the devices you used for testing to the case? Performance cases are already kind of complicated for QA because in many cases there is no clear "broken"/"fixed".

28. florianpenzkofer

florianpenzkofer

Unity Technologies

The fix for the performance regression in dynamic batching (that can also be workarounded by using OpenGL ES 2.0) will be in Unity 5.3.0p1.

29. bitter

bitter

Unity Technologies

Once Unity 5.3.0p1 is out please let us know if you are still seeing slowdowns compared to 5.2.

Gametyme likes this.
  30. Azmar

Azmar

Samsung S3 and Samsung S4

31. bitter

bitter

Unity Technologies

32. pixioco

pixioco

I'm having some performance issue on nexus 7 (1st and 2nd gen), and nexus 5 as well, using Unity 5.3.2p4. The game gets laggy when more ui stuff pop up, but pretty smooth on other android devices, e.g. the samsung ones. Is there any issue related to this? Any patch addressing this issue?

33. allenrobot

allenrobot

Just tested after unchecking the Graphics API using Samsung Note 3. No 3d graphics in app, just GUI and nothing too crazy either. Was running really great on earlier Unity version. It feels about 20% faster than it was before unchecking that but it is still acting laggy visually.

34. AbsoluteZero

AbsoluteZero

Thanks, this solved it for me also. I had a very simple scene and all of a sudden I was getting 20fps. Not things are back to 60+fps.

35. JDMulti

JDMulti

Had the same issue. Customer calling me that there S7 ran a GearVR app like cheese sjheet. I hope this helps me out, as the app runs still fine on Note 4 and S6, so S7 should run it with ease.