Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

5.3.2p4 and now 5.3.3f1 are unusable

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by artysta, Feb 23, 2016.

1. artysta

artysta

The GUI layers glitch so bad I can't use these updates. This mess is suppose to the a TEXT object in a Canvas. It glitches almost animated and then will pop back on its own. Playing the scene will snap it back, but then will go right back to glitches. Im back on 5.3.2p3

2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Have you filed a bug report? Is this only affecting text or all UI components?

holliebuckets likes this.
  3. greg-harding

greg-harding

No bug report yet but I can also confirm that 5.3.3f1 (like the rest of the 5.3.x series) has flickering UI textures (both fonts and other graphics) and flickering line renderers on OSX, along with other more general performance decreases. The last stable release for us is 5.2.4f1.

4. KB73

KB73

5.3.2p1 was fine for me. 5.3.3f1 has glitching UI + other visual glitches later in our game.

Is it related to this fix in p3?
    • (none) - Graphics: Reduced framerate spikes where culling system could sometimes stall for several ms while waiting for jobs.
    On OSX 10.11.3, iOS mode in editor.

5. artysta

artysta

Yes I have a Case # -
    Case 773377
    It happens to ALL GUI objects, with TEXT, they glitch out, with IMAGES, they randomly pick another image and also glitch out, also when they are animated, which mine are, they wildly flicker all over the screen. This is in both the EDITOR and the GAME WINDOW. Also different objects will glitch at different time, but when animating, the whole screen goes crazy. I just tried re-importing my project and let it rebuild everything. No Go. Its not usable. For me the last stable version for my project is 5.3.2p3

6. artysta

artysta

Sorry, yes it does, I added my reply to the bottom. Case 773377

7. stylophone

stylophone

Having exactly the same problem with 5.3.2p4, upgraded from 5.3.2p2 btw

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  8. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Can someone share a project that has the issue in 5.3.2p4? I have not been able to recreate it. Submit a bug report with the project and post the number here and I will take a look.

9. stylophone

stylophone

Case number #773684. It's a project has the issue created with 5.3.3f1. 5.3.2p4 should has the same effect.

10. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Thanks. It does not seem to recreate on Windows. I have asked QA to look at it, could be something specific to Mac.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  11. gg_michael

gg_michael

Happening to me on OS X as well. Flickering UI is driving me insane.

12. Spacew00t

Spacew00t

Yeah, I'm having this problem as well, it's pretty headache inducing.

Edit:

Forgot to mention, I'm on OS X v10.11.3, Unity 5.3.3f1. My Graphics are NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB. Let me know if you need any other information.

13. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

The issue has been confirmed as an OSX issue. The UI team are now aware and looking into it.

KB73, zombiegorilla and holliebuckets like this.
  14. greg-harding

greg-harding

Karl, probably unrelated to the Unity UI issue but the standard line renderer has been flickering for us on OS X for the whole 5.3.x series as well. We have not filed a bug+repo but can do if one has not been submitted already.

Without starting another 5.3 quality and QA thread, I'll just quietly say that it has been a bit frustrating how an issue like the UI texture flickering has existed for pretty much the whole 5.3.x release series so far. There have been several bug reports that I've seen that mention the issue, it was 'fixed' and noted in release notes in some 5.3.x patch and main releases, but the flickering UI issue remains on OS X. If there's a magic tickbox somewhere for 'please test OS X stuff a bit more' then please +1 it from me :)

artysta and gg_michael like this.
  15. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

I'm not aware of any issues with the line renderer flickering. Could you file a bug report please.

16. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

There must be some other contributing factor to the flickering issue or certain combination of elements that causes it. I (and most of my team) use 5.3 on OS X / iOS and haven't encountered this issue. But I am very curious what is causing it. Should we encounter it, it'll be nice to have a solution.

17. greg-harding

greg-harding

hi Karl - yep, sure. I'll file one later and quote the case here.
    Update: Bug Report + repo: Case #774093 Trail Renderer flickering in all Unity 5.3.x releases.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  18. nasos_333

nasos_333

19. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

20. greg-harding

greg-harding

21. fishg

fishg

Also have a big problem that crash on UI::CanvasRenderer::SyncDirtyElements -> Unity::GameObject::IsActive()

22. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

The UI team think they have fixed this issue in next weeks patch(5.3.3p1). If it still happens then please file a bug report.

23. fishg

fishg

Oh, 5.3.3p1 is out today,but not fixed.Maybe next weeks 5.3.3p2?

24. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Yes wait till next week. If it is not fixed file a bug report with a project that shows the issue please.

25. fishg

fishg

Ok.

26. artysta

artysta

Here's is what Im seeing when I run the GUI animation (simple intro scene) The real GUI in the game does the same thing over the 3D game scene.

27. Gametyme

Gametyme

I was having the same issue on osx ios with 5.3.2p4. Went back to p3 and the issue is gone. Downloaded but haven't tried 5.3.3.

28. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Looks like we have found the problem. The fix is on the way to the next patch.

holliebuckets and KB73 like this.
  29. greg-harding

greg-harding

Great - thanks again for the followup, Karl. Hopefully the UI flickering gets fixed on OS X too so we can try 5.3 before 5.4 comes out :)

30. Bradamante

Bradamante

Flickering on Mac OS X reminds me of this problem I had.

Have you guys compared OpenGL 2 vs Core vs Metal?

31. artysta

artysta

It doesn't matter on my end what the preferences are set to, and its completely in the Editor/Game Windows, and not carried to the Devices with a build. At least in my few tests. But it makes editing your GUI layers almost impossible because every time you move a object all the objects in the editor wig out. I await the next patch, it sounds like they found the issue. Meantime Im back on 5.3.2p3 which works for me.

32. coshea

coshea

33. Lionious

Lionious

i still have problem with that Case 769758 , been w8ting from 5.3.2p2 to 5.3.3 and still not fixed notice developer say they will look about it since month and not single fix yet.

34. Lionious

Lionious

that video show the bug with selection . as you can see i can't select objects when water is on .

35. Player7

Player7

I just went from Unity 5.3.2p2 to Unity 5.3.3p1

So never tried the patches inbetween, but now I've getting the exact same issue of gui screwups in windows build... even a earlier reported issue which I had worked around has popped up with a new issue.. like not even loading up its image now (bottom right corner)...

Everything about the Unity gui pisses me off, poor layout methods for something which should really be better. And then the bugs..

Positioning a Rect Transform for layout...
    Pos X ...input: 0 ... get: 3.051758e-05 ..umm ok

Weirdest issue was when I had upgraded project to 5.3.3p1 the viewport camera had become messed up, rotating around objects was causing the camera to tilt which it never does normally.... (might have been caused by ruler2d asset which had bunch of errors and I removed it wasn't that good anyway.. so camera issue is fixed, but the rest isn't)

36. artysta

artysta

Well I have done some research and found something that actually works. My iMac has an NVIDIA GTX 780M 4096MB Video system
    Running in OpenGL4.1 seems to have issues with 5.3.3 (and 5.3.2p4)
    If I open Unity normally, the header text in the Unity Window states that it is running <OpenGL 4.1>.
    If I run /Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/MacOS/Unity -force-opengl from the Command Line, the Unity Window states that it is running <OpenGL 2.1 (deprecated)> Now the flashes and glitches have gone away, at least in the last 20 min of testing. At least for me the error seems to be in the OpenGL prefs and my video system.

37. artysta

artysta

Side Note, when I forced OpenGL to 4.0 or 3.3 it still glitches, only going back to 2.1 did it clear up

38. Gametyme

Gametyme

Osx is having problems with gl core.

39. Player7

Player7

hmm was hoping to see a patch this week to fix this issue.. but still no weekly patch out?

slumtrimpet likes this.
  40. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

== UPDATE ==
    I checked in with the UI team just now. Patch is scheduled for next Wednesday.

ccing @karl.jones just so we are all on the same page ^_^

karl_jones likes this.
  41. lastlevel

lastlevel

Yeah. Can't select objects in any scene that has Unity Water in it anymore. Problematic as we use it in all our scenes.

42. artysta

artysta

5.3.3p2 didn't solve my UI glitches, so Im back to force loading OpenGL to 2.1 to be able to edit and play with GUI. From the above message from holliebuckets, it looks like maybe a patch for this issue next week.

43. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

Yep, this isn't the correct patch. See above/below :)

StefanoCecere and KB73 like this.
  44. Player7

Player7

damn next wednesday... this weeks patch does seem to have some minor improvement for builds.. the text actually shows up in the ui ... and the button backgrounds aswel.... just not all used images used do.. ie it still look messed up

45. coshea

coshea

46. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

@coshea I'll respond on the other thread :)

47. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

48. artysta

artysta

I've been running it for about 30 minutes so far in OpenGL4.1 mode, and so far so good. My text blinks out to black randomly but then comes back on when I touch anything, so a little scary but nothing lost, but Im moving forward. I did have one strange issue where I was editing in Mono and my scripts wouldn't update in the Editor with my new Public objects, I had to quit Unity and reload for them to appear own the side panel. But happened only once and wasn't a crash to send report, it was almost like my saved script in Mono wasn't being updated back to Unity when I saved it and only when I reloaded Unity did it see I updated a script. Thats a new one for me.

49. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

Long exhale. I'll keep an eye here just to confirm with everyone else. Thank you so much, folks, for your patience and for working with me to collect bugs and feedback. I really appreciate it.

I've had more MonoDevelop disconnecting issues lately too. Not 100% sure if its us or them, but I'm taking notes. It's oddly reassuring I'm not the only one lol but deleting all the Mono project files is a pain.

and super super thanks to @karl.jones for all the grunt work <3!!

karl_jones likes this.
  50. artysta

artysta

Great way of putting it, thats what Im seeing, my editing sessions in Mono get disconnected. I was doing reboots, you mention deleting the project files, what are you doing when you do that? Does it help?