Search Unity

5.2 - UI response to the Controller thumbstick is unstable

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Max_Bol, Sep 28, 2015.

?

Were you able to make the UI to recognize the controller thumbsticks' movements?

1. Yes, it worked without lowering the input action per sec (below 10) and repeat delay (below 1)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, it worked, but we had to greatly lower the Input action per sec and/or the repeat delay.

100.0%
  3. No, we weren't able to make the thumbstick work at all. We had to find an alternative.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. N/A as we haven't tried yet to use the UI Input module for the menu controls via any controller.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Max_Bol

Max_Bol

I have been looking around, tested things and this is the result I'm on :

Currently, the UI axis based navigation is not stable when used with pressure based axis inputs.
    (Best example : the 360 controllers' thumbsticks)

There are some partial fixes like lowering the input action per sec (around 5) and repeat delay (around 0.1 or less), but it change the behavior with the keyboard and other input devices. Reducing the dead zone of the input also helps, but even with all those, the thumbstick will still have some issues now and then and doesn't register.

The only "safe" solution I have found is to make uses of buttons that doesn't involve any pressure sensitivity (like the D-Pad). This involve adding another set of input in the input manager which is not the best kind of thing.

A solution would be to change the Standalone Input Module to recognize as active when the axis is at a lower values than 1. For example, allowing the axis direction to be recognized as "true" whenever it's higher than the Dead zone (instead of 1) would make it a lot more reliable. Right now, by default, you have to press the thumbstick extremely fast and "maybe" you will get it recognized.

I'll add a poll so that everyone who tried it can vote if they were able or not to make it work correctly.

2. Artial

Artial

Same thing here.

I had to lower the repeat delay to 0.1 to get the analogue stick working. 0.5s is not usable, the behaviour is not predictable. It is platform independent (Vita stick has the same issue).