Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[5.2.1p3] Mono.Cecil.AssemblyResolutionException UnityEngine.UI.dll

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by AlienMe, Oct 17, 2015.

1. AlienMe

AlienMe

Hi,

I am getting this error on Unity 5.2.1p3. Basically, Unity is failing to resolve UnityEngine.UI.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks.

2. jrdmellow

jrdmellow

Getting this as well on two DLLs built with Visual Studio after updating to Unity 5.2.1f1.

Doesn't seem to be causing a problem. I can still run and debug just fine (I had an issue where the debugger froze until reattached, but I'm not sure if it's related yet).

3. Shonen

Shonen

Same here causing my cloud builds to fail

4. AdrianoVerona_Unity

AdrianoVerona_Unity

Unity Technologies

@AlienMe Can you post the full editor log?

Thanks

Adriano

5. AlienMe

AlienMe

@Vagaus This is the editor log. We use VS 2013 + UnityVS.

The error occurs when our game DLLs are built in VS, And Unity regains focus, and 'reimports' them.

6. AdrianoVerona_Unity

AdrianoVerona_Unity

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the log.

This issue has already been fixed and should land in the next beta

Adriano

7. AlienMe

AlienMe

Great! Thanks.

8. Max.Unity

Max.Unity

This issue still occurs in version 5.2.2f1 Personal.
    Is that expected or should have it been fixed in that version?
    Are there any workaround solutions or should we wait until 5.3 or 5.2.3?

Thank you!

9. AdrianoVerona_Unity

AdrianoVerona_Unity

Unity Technologies

The fix is being back ported to 5.2. Don't know if it will make 5.2.3 though.

Adriano

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  10. ciathyza

ciathyza

I'm still getting this error in Unity 5.2.2f1 so I cannot build plugin DLLs from my asset.

11. AdrianoVerona_Unity

AdrianoVerona_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi. This should be fixed in 5.2.2p4

12. DomDom

DomDom

Is there a workaround? (or would going back to 5.2.0f fix it?)
    Because I'm getting that error in every project and I'm not able to test anything in Unity since I can't go into Playmode.

13. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

It also happens with 5.3. Like jrdmellow said, it doesn't seem to cause any actual problems for me, but I'd really prefer not to have errors generated.

--Eric

14. AdrianoVerona_Unity

AdrianoVerona_Unity

Unity Technologies

@DomDom

Hi
    Yes, there're some possible workarounds.

You could try to copy the assembly that we are failing to resolve to the same place as UnityEngine.dll but I am not sure whether this would not cause other issues.

There's another option that consist in replacing AssemblyUpdater.exe with a fake executable that just returns 1, but you need to understand that by doing this you are effectively disabling the updating mechanism for assemblies and you may get other errors @ build/runtime.

I only recommend taking this approach as a last resort (which looks to be your case since it is blocking you); also, if you go through this route, consider updating to a newer version ASAP

Adriano

15. AdrianoVerona_Unity

AdrianoVerona_Unity

Unity Technologies

@Eric5h5
    I think my changes only fixes this issue on Windows (QA reported today they can still reproduce this issue on OSX).

I am investigating it now

Adriano

16. Demigiant

Demigiant

@Vagaus I can confirm that sadly this issue still happens even on Windows, using Unity 5.2.3f1

P.S. the problem seems to be related only to DLLs that reference UnityEngine.UI

17. AdrianoVerona_Unity

AdrianoVerona_Unity

Unity Technologies

@lzitmee

The issue is related to *any* assembly in UnityExtensions being referenced in the project.

Unfortunately the fix did not make its way into 5.2.3f1 but it is included in 5.2.3p1

BTW: I've found the the problem on OSX. It is fixed and should land in the next patches.

Adriano

18. Demigiant

Demigiant

Great! Thanks Adriano

19. Roman-Ilyin

Roman-Ilyin

Hello. Same problem with 5.3.0f4

20. AdrianoVerona_Unity

AdrianoVerona_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi. The patch is not included in 5.3.0f4. It will be include in a patch release in the near future (can't precise which patch release though, sorry)

Adriano

21. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Hi Adriano, Tested on 5.3.1f1 and the problem still persists. And worse is that in our case the assembly doesn't work and it's not functional at all. We are releasing a new product and planned its availability a week before January, now suddenly this happens which was nonexistent in 4.x versions.

I think there are a lot of other developers releasing their packages bundled in DLL assemblies, with all being said, I really wonder: it is going to be a high priority subject for Unity 5 which is released for some months now...! Especially for the ones who need their code & stuff to be encoded & obfuscated like us.

22. AdrianoVerona_Unity

AdrianoVerona_Unity

Unity Technologies

@TerraUnity

that is strange. The fix looks to be included in this version.

Maybe you are experiencing a different (but similar) issue.

Can you send me a Editor.log of one of those failures?

Regarding being high priority to fix this, you can be sure it is.

Adriano

23. Sposito

Sposito

@Vagaus
    I am maybe having a similar problem, here is my log:

My Unity Version: 5.3.0f4(Mac OSX)
    I updated Unity to 5.3.1f1 and the problem continues...
    Dll compiled from Mono Develop 5.9.6(Unity), I referenced UnityEditor and UnityEngine directly from Unity directory, as usual.

[/S][/S]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  24. AdrianoVerona_Unity

AdrianoVerona_Unity

Unity Technologies

@Sposito

It looks like to me that your case is a different error; if possible create a small repro case and fill in a bug so I can investigate.

Adriano

25. Sposito

Sposito

26. AdrianoVerona_Unity

AdrianoVerona_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Sposito

Sorry taking to long go get back to you.

Your C# project (csproj) is specifying .Net 4.5 as the target which is not supported. Try changing it to 3.5 and this error should not happen anymore.

Also this error looks to be happening when Unity tries to compile your (Unity) project. Can you post your Editor.log with the error for your real project? (You can send it directly to me if you don't want to post it here)

Best

Adriano

27. SideShowBobMS

SideShowBobMS

Hi @Sposito and @Vagaus

having the same issue here targeting .NET 3.5
    Same Error-Message on 5.3.0 (OSX)
    No Error-Message on 5.2.0 (OSX)
    No Error-Message on 5.3.3 (Win)

Everything works fine, though the ErrorMessage, but that isn't a good start for someone with 5.3.0 opening our Asset the first time...
    So any updates about the workaround?

Christian

28. MikeEnoch

MikeEnoch

29. MikeEnoch

MikeEnoch

... and it's still broken with 5.3.2f1 :(

Completely fresh install this time, just to be sure it wasn't an update/upgrade problem.

30. JoelAtMoodkie

JoelAtMoodkie

@Vagaus, I'm the creator of the asset which is triggering Mike's import error above. Strangely, I'm unable to reproduce it at my end on Mac or PC on 5.3.1f1, and we've not had any other customers complaining of the issue (yet!).

It's very similar to the error in the original post of this thread, except the missing assembly is System.Windows rather than UnityEngine.UI. The DLL which is triggering it is a WSA/WP8 DLL compiled in VS 2015, and it is correctly set as a plugin at Mike's end in the import settings (I've checked this myself). As far as I was aware, the Assembly Upgrader shouldn't be trying to upgrade platform-specific plugins.

If you need any more information regarding the DLLs, let me know!

31. AdrianoVerona_Unity

AdrianoVerona_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @MikeEnoch

This is a known issue that has been reported in a different thread: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/un...ns-while-using-portable-class-library.366532/

Notice that if the assemblies (.dll) in your project does not use any obsolete APIs (from Unity), this error is innocuous (it only means that the application that checks that failed, but since your assemblies does not have any obsolete API there's nothing to be updated)

Note also that we don't have an ETA for the fix; all I can say is that it will be back ported to 5.3 and 5.4

Best

Adriano

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  32. AdrianoVerona_Unity

AdrianoVerona_Unity

Unity Technologies

@joeltebbett

As commented in the other thread (the one I mentioned int he previous answer) I have a fix for this issue that will be pushed to 5.3 and 5.4 soon (don't have specific versions though)

Best

Adriano

33. prabushan

prabushan

I am new to Unity, I have an existing project that I was able to open it Unity 5.3.3f and compile it. But since the web player doesn't work on browser, I was trying to build the project using the WebGL Settings.

I am getting the following errors. Please some could take a look at it and help me out.

Failed running C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\Tools/UnusedByteCodeStripper2/UnusedBytecodeStripper2.exe -out "C:\EBS_Original\EBS Unity\Temp\StagingArea\Data\Managed\tempStrip" -l none -c link -b False -x "C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\WebGLSupport\Whitelists\Core.xml" -f "C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\il2cpp\LinkerDescriptors" -x "C:\EBS_Original\EBS Unity/Temp/StagingArea/Data/methods_pointedto_by_uievents.xml" -x "C:\EBS_Original\EBS Unity\Temp\StagingArea\Data\preserved_derived_types.xml" -d "C:\EBS_Original\EBS Unity\Temp\StagingArea\Data\Managed" -a "C:\EBS_Original\EBS Unity\Temp\StagingArea\Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll" -a "C:\EBS_Original\EBS Unity\Temp\StagingArea\Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll" -a "C:\EBS_Original\EBS Unity\Temp\StagingArea\Data\Managed\Assembly-UnityScript-firstpass.dll" -a "C:\EBS_Original\EBS Unity\Temp\StagingArea\Data\Managed\Bluedrop.EPSS3D.Common.dll" -a "C:\EBS_Original\EBS Unity\Temp\StagingArea\Data\Managed\Bluedrop.EPSS3D.Runtime.dll" -a "C:\EBS_Original\EBS Unity\Temp\StagingArea\Data\Managed\HighlightingSystem.dll" -a "C:\EBS_Original\EBS Unity\Temp\StagingArea\Data\Managed\NGUI.dll"

stdout:
    Fatal error in Mono CIL Linker
    System.Exception: Error processing method: 'System.Void HighlightableObject::InitMaterials()' in assembly: 'HighlightingSystem.dll' ---> Mono.Cecil.ResolutionException: Failed to resolve UnityEngine.ClothRenderer
    at Mono.Linker.Steps.MarkStep.MarkType(TypeReference reference)
    at Mono.Linker.Steps.MarkStep.MarkMethodBody(MethodBody body)
    at Mono.Linker.Steps.MarkStep.ProcessMethod(MethodDefinition method)
    at Mono.Linker.Steps.MarkStep.ProcessQueue()
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at Mono.Linker.Steps.MarkStep.ProcessQueue()
    at Mono.Linker.Steps.MarkStep.Process()
    at Mono.Linker.Pipeline.Process(LinkContext context)
    at Mono.Linker.Driver.RunDriver(Driver driver)
    stderr:

UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    UnityEditorInternal.Runner:RunManagedProgram(String, String, String, CompilerOutputParserBase) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/Il2Cpp/IL2CPPUtils.cs:94)
    UnityEditorInternal.AssemblyStripper:RunAssemblyLinker(IEnumerable`1, String&, String&, String, String) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/AssemblyStripper.cs:107)
    UnityEditorInternal.AssemblyStripper:StripAssembliesTo(String[], String[], String, String, String&, String&, String, IIl2CppPlatformProvider, IEnumerable`1, Boolean) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/AssemblyStripper.cs:100)
    UnityEditorInternal.AssemblyStripper:RunAssemblyStripper(String, IEnumerable, String, String[], String[], String, IIl2CppPlatformProvider, RuntimeClassRegistry, Boolean) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/AssemblyStripper.cs:204)
    UnityEditorInternal.AssemblyStripper:StripAssemblies(String, IIl2CppPlatformProvider, RuntimeClassRegistry, Boolean) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/AssemblyStripper.cs:131)
    UnityEditorInternal.IL2CPPBuilder:Run() (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/Il2Cpp/IL2CPPUtils.cs:201)
    UnityEditorInternal.IL2CPPUtils:RunIl2Cpp(String, IIl2CppPlatformProvider, Action`1, RuntimeClassRegistry, Boolean) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/Il2Cpp/IL2CPPUtils.cs:135)
    UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

Thanks You

34. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

AssemblyResolutionException: Failed to resolve assembly: 'System.Runtime, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'
    Mono.Cecil.BaseAssemblyResolver.Resolve (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyNameReference name, Mono.Cecil.ReaderParameters parameters)
    Mono.Cecil.BaseAssemblyResolver.Resolve (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyNameReference name)
    Mono.Cecil.DefaultAssemblyResolver.Resolve (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyNameReference name)
    UnityEditor.MonoAssemblyStripping+<CollectAssembliesRecursive>c__AnonStorey1.<>m__0 (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyNameReference a) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/MonoAssemblyStripping.cs:291)
    System.Linq.Enumerable+<CreateSelectIterator>c__Iterator10`2[Mono.Cecil.AssemblyNameReference,Mono.Cecil.AssemblyDefinition].MoveNext ()
    System.Linq.Enumerable+<CreateSelectManyIterator>c__Iterator12`2[Mono.Cecil.AssemblyDefinition,Mono.Cecil.AssemblyDefinition].MoveNext ()
    System.Collections.Generic.HashSet`1[Mono.Cecil.AssemblyDefinition].UnionWith (IEnumerable`1 other)
    UnityEditor.MonoAssemblyStripping.CollectAssembliesRecursive (IEnumerable`1 assemblies) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/MonoAssemblyStripping.cs:290)
    UnityEditor.MonoAssemblyStripping.GenerateLinkXmlToPreserveDerivedTypes (System.String stagingArea, System.String librariesFolder, UnityEditor.RuntimeClassRegistry usedClasses) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/MonoAssemblyStripping.cs:258)
    UnityEditorInternal.AssemblyStripper.RunAssemblyStripper (System.String stagingAreaData, IEnumerable assemblies, System.String managedAssemblyFolderPath, System.String[] assembliesToStrip, System.String[] searchDirs, System.String monoLinkerPath, IIl2CppPlatformProvider platformProvider, UnityEditor.RuntimeClassRegistry rcr, Boolean developmentBuild) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/AssemblyStripper.cs:176)
    UnityEditorInternal.AssemblyStripper.StripAssemblies (System.String stagingAreaData, IIl2CppPlatformProvider platformProvider, UnityEditor.RuntimeClassRegistry rcr, Boolean developmentBuild) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/AssemblyStripper.cs:128)
    UnityEditorInternal.IL2CPPBuilder.Run () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/Il2Cpp/IL2CPPUtils.cs:118)
    UnityEditorInternal.IL2CPPUtils.RunIl2Cpp (System.String tempFolder, System.String stagingAreaData, IIl2CppPlatformProvider platformProvider, System.Action`1 modifyOutputBeforeCompile, UnityEditor.RuntimeClassRegistry runtimeClassRegistry, Boolean developmentBuild) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/Il2Cpp/IL2CPPUtils.cs:32)
    PostProcessUAPIl2Cpp.RunIL2CPP () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/MetroPlayer/Extensions/Managed/PostProcessUAPIl2Cpp.cs:92)
    PostProcessWinRT.Process () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/WinRT/SharedSources/CSharp/PostProcessWinRT.cs:135)
    UnityEditor.WSA.BuildPostprocessor.PostProcess (BuildPostProcessArgs args) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/MetroPlayer/Extensions/Managed/ExtensionModule.cs:155)
    UnityEditor.PostprocessBuildPlayer.Postprocess (BuildTarget target, System.String installPath, System.String companyName, System.String productName, Int32 width, Int32 height, System.String downloadWebplayerUrl, System.String manualDownloadWebplayerUrl, BuildOptions options, UnityEditor.RuntimeClassRegistry usedClassRegistry, UnityEditor.BuildReporting.BuildReport report) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/PostprocessBuildPlayer.cs:186)

35. castor76

castor76

I get similar errors : Unity 5.5

Failed running C:\Program Files\Unity5.5\Editor\Data\il2cpp/build/il2cpp.exe --convert-to-cpp --emit-null-checks --enable-array-bounds-check --enable-symbol-loading --extra-types.file="C:\Program Files\Unity5.5\Editor\Data\il2cpp\il2cpp_default_extra_types.txt" --assembly="D:\SubUWP\trunk\Temp\StagingArea\Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll" --assembly="D:\SubUWP\trunk\Temp\StagingArea\Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll" --assembly="D:\SubUWP\trunk\Temp\StagingArea\Data\Managed\Assembly-UnityScript-firstpass.dll" --assembly="D:\SubUWP\trunk\Temp\StagingArea\Data\Managed\Assembly-UnityScript.dll" --assembly="D:\SubUWP\trunk\Temp\StagingArea\Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll" --assembly="D:\SubUWP\trunk\Temp\StagingArea\Data\Managed\DOTween.dll" --assembly="D:\SubUWP\trunk\Temp\StagingArea\Data\Managed\PlayMaker.dll" --assembly="D:\SubUWP\trunk\Temp\StagingArea\Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll" --assembly="D:\SubUWP\trunk\Temp\StagingArea\Data\Managed\System.dll" --generatedcppdir="D:\SubUWP\trunk\Temp\StagingArea\Il2CppOutputProject\il2cppOutput"

stdout:
    IL2CPP error (no further information about what managed code was being converted is available)
    Additional information: Build a development build for more information. Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    il2cpp.exe didn't catch exception: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Unable to resolve [UnityEngine]UnityEngine.BitStream.
    at Unity.IL2CPP.Common.WindowsRuntimeAwareMetadataResolver.Resolve(TypeReference type)
    at Mono.Cecil.TypeReference.Resolve()
    at Unity.IL2CPP.Extensions.IsInterface(TypeReference type)
    at Unity.IL2CPP.GenericSharing.GenericSharingVisitor.Visit(Instruction instruction, Context context)
    at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit(MethodBody methodBody, Context context)
    at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit(MethodDefinition methodDefinition, Context context)
    at Unity.IL2CPP.GenericSharing.GenericSharingVisitor.Visit(MethodDefinition methodDefinition, Context context)
    at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit(TypeDefinition typeDefinition, Context context)
    at Unity.IL2CPP.GenericSharing.GenericSharingVisitor.Visit(TypeDefinition typeDefinition, Context context)
    at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit(ModuleDefinition moduleDefinition, Context context)
    at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit(AssemblyDefinition assemblyDefinition, Context context)
    at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
    at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
    at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
    at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit[T](T node, Context context)
    at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Extensions.DoAccept[T](T definition, Visitor visitor)
    at Unity.IL2CPP.AssemblyConverter.PreProcessStage(InflatedCollectionCollector& genericsCollectionCollector, TypeDefinition[]& allTypeDefinitions)
    at Unity.IL2CPP.AssemblyConverter.Apply()
    at Unity.IL2CPP.AssemblyConverter.ConvertAssemblies(NPath[] assemblies, NPath outputDir, NPath dataFolder)
    at Unity.IL2CPP.AssemblyConverter.ConvertAssemblies(IEnumerable`1 assemblyDirectories, IEnumerable`1 explicitAssemblies, NPath outputDir, NPath dataFolder)
    at il2cpp.Program.DoRun(String[] args)
    at il2cpp.Program.Run(String[] args)
    at il2cpp.Program.Main(String[] args)
    stderr:

Unhandled Exception: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Unable to resolve [UnityEngine]UnityEngine.BitStream.
    at Unity.IL2CPP.Common.WindowsRuntimeAwareMetadataResolver.Resolve(TypeReference type)
    at Mono.Cecil.TypeReference.Resolve()
    at Unity.IL2CPP.Extensions.IsInterface(TypeReference type)
    at Unity.IL2CPP.GenericSharing.GenericSharingVisitor.Visit(Instruction instruction, Context context)
    at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit(MethodBody methodBody, Context context)
    at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit(MethodDefinition methodDefinition, Context context)
    at Unity.IL2CPP.GenericSharing.GenericSharingVisitor.Visit(MethodDefinition methodDefinition, Context context)
    at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit(TypeDefinition typeDefinition, Context context)
    at Unity.IL2CPP.GenericSharing.GenericSharingVisitor.Visit(TypeDefinition typeDefinition, Context context)
    at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit(ModuleDefinition moduleDefinition, Context context)
    at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit(AssemblyDefinition assemblyDefinition, Context context)
    at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
    at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
    at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
    at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit[T](T node, Context context)
    at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Extensions.DoAccept[T](T definition, Visitor visitor)
    at Unity.IL2CPP.AssemblyConverter.PreProcessStage(InflatedCollectionCollector& genericsCollectionCollector, TypeDefinition[]& allTypeDefinitions)
    at Unity.IL2CPP.AssemblyConverter.Apply()
    at Unity.IL2CPP.AssemblyConverter.ConvertAssemblies(NPath[] assemblies, NPath outputDir, NPath dataFolder)
    at Unity.IL2CPP.AssemblyConverter.ConvertAssemblies(IEnumerable`1 assemblyDirectories, IEnumerable`1 explicitAssemblies, NPath outputDir, NPath dataFolder)
    at il2cpp.Program.DoRun(String[] args)
    at il2cpp.Program.Run(String[] args)
    at il2cpp.Program.Main(String[] args)

UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    UnityEditorInternal.Runner:RunManagedProgram(String, String, String, CompilerOutputParserBase, Action`1) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/BuildUtils.cs:96)
    UnityEditorInternal.IL2CPPBuilder:RunIl2CppWithArguments(List`1, Action`1, String) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/Il2Cpp/IL2CPPUtils.cs:281)
    UnityEditorInternal.IL2CPPBuilder:ConvertPlayerDlltoCpp(ICollection`1, String, String) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/Il2Cpp/IL2CPPUtils.cs:272)
    UnityEditorInternal.IL2CPPBuilder:Run() (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/Il2Cpp/IL2CPPUtils.cs:126)
    UnityEditorInternal.IL2CPPUtils:RunIl2Cpp(String, String, IIl2CppPlatformProvider, Action`1, RuntimeClassRegistry, Boolean) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/Il2Cpp/IL2CPPUtils.cs:32)
    PostProcessUAPIl2Cpp:RunIL2CPP() (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/MetroPlayer/Extensions/Managed/PostProcessUAPIl2Cpp.cs:92)
    PostProcessWinRT:process() (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/WinRT/SharedSources/CSharp/PostProcessWinRT.cs:135)

36. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@castor76

This looks like a bug on the Unity side. Can you submit a bug report and let me know the bug number? We will correct it.

37. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

38. developersice

developersice

We are having the exact same issue in our cloud build, there have been non-stop errors and considering we are paying for a subscription to use this feature that doesn't work, we aren't too chuffed. Our app builds perfectly on Windows 64 bit standalone from our computers, just cloud build has two of these errors which aren't even highlighted in red as errors on our build logs.
    18704: [Unity] System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> Mono.Cecil.AssemblyResolutionException: Failed to resolve assembly: 'System.Runtime, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'

39. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@developersice

There are actually a few different errors discussed in this thread, I think.

Your error message indicates that the System.Runtime.dll assembly cannot be located. This error actually makes sense, as System.Runtime.dll is not support by Unity yet, as it is a part of the .Net Standard API. We're actively working on support for that, but it has not been released.

So, which version of Unity are you using? Also, have you done anything special to the Unity installation on your computers to make this work properly? I'm surprised that it works at all!

40. developersice

developersice

Within a app we are developing, we are making use of System.Runtime.dll to communicate with a database that runs in a Windows Service, which has run perfectly fine in builds of the app on the majority of Unity 5.0 versions up until 5.6.2f1.

Does the cloud build consciously exclude it as it is not part of the .Net Standard API and why do the standard installations of Unity we have on 5 computers have the ability to build and run the app from the same repository/engine version that the cloud build service uses?

I would be interested in finding a way for cloud build to allow us to continue pushing our changes to a cloud based build of the app rather than us exporting it locally from our office computers.

41. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@developersice

Interesting, I'm surprised that System.Runtime.dll or any other assemblies from .Net Standard work with Unity 5.6.2f1.

I don't believe that could build consciously excludes this. However, Unity 5.6.2f1 does not support building with any assemblies from .Net Standard. So I'm unsure how this works even on your local machines. Does the project include an mcs.rsp file to indicate to the C# compiler that it should reference System.Runtime.dll? If so, where is the System.Runtime.dll file located?

42. developersice

developersice

Just had a quick search and could find no such mcs.rsp file as such or anything similar, shall we reproduce with a simple script created with a reference to the System.Runtime.dll and build?

We have not got the system.runtime.dll file included within our project, I believe it just calls out for it?

Do you think including said system.runtime.dll file in our build would maybe alleviate the cloud build issue we are having or is it simply written off in cloud build specifically?

43. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

That might fix the cloud build issue, as it will only build what is in your project, and nothing on cloud build will find System.Runtime.dll elsewhere. But I don't think that is necessarily a good idea. I'd instead like to determine where the System.Runtime.dll is coming from, and why it works. The Mono runtime used in Unity at 5.6 should not be able to execute code in System.Runtime.dll!

This is the key question to answer. I don't believe that the C# compiler should be looking elsewhere for this assembly.

We can take a look at this project in a bug report if you are able to submit it to us.

44. developersice

developersice

We are going to try adding the System.Runtime.dll to the build branch of our repo and see if it fixes the cloud build errors we are having.

We had another issue with an error stating
    37949: [Unity] System.Windows.Forms.dll assembly is referenced by user code, but is not supported on StandaloneWindows64 platform. Various failures might follow.

^Despite us not referencing it in code anywhere at all.. I removed it from our 'References' for the project in Visual Studio under the project .sln file but I realised we weren't pushing that into the repository anyway - a new one would be generated when the unity project is opened for the first time on any machine. But anyway, back to the system.runtime issue..

Would be able to provide the read only branch of our repository to you as part of a support case, would you be able to contact us directly through our account email so that we can arrange an investigation into the issue? Ultimately we need to be able to use cloud build as it is going to be of importance to this project and as we are using a subscription for the cloud build, we would really like it to work!

Rob

45. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Yes, if you submit a bug report, we can communicate about getting the project via the email associated with your account. If you work with a Unity support representative for other issues, it might be better to communicate via that person instead of a bug report.

If you do submit a bug report, ping me privately on the forums with the bug report number, and I'll be able to route it properly.

46. aidesigner

aidesigner

The code segments in this post have references to NLog.dll (Just search), which from another post had a dependency issue with System.Windows.Forms.dll. This post diverges in a few places, but I suspect a dependency chain starting with a user included dll (i.e. NLog.dll) is leading to the unexpected dll requirement.

47. gonzalezc9999

gonzalezc9999

I got this blank error in the newest version.

48. AdrianoVerona_Unity

AdrianoVerona_Unity

Unity Technologies

49. e-sollinger

e-sollinger

Attaching my log ... having trouble and just downloaded the latest of everything today, then rebooted computer, but still getting this error.

UNetWeaver error: Exception :Mono.Cecil.AssemblyResolutionException: Failed to resolve assembly: 'LuminUnity, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'
    at Mono.Cecil.BaseAssemblyResolver.Resolve (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyNameReference name, Mono.Cecil.ReaderParameters parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.Cecil.BaseAssemblyResolver.Resolve (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyNameReference name) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.Cecil.DefaultAssemblyResolver.Resolve (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyNameReference name) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.Cecil.MetadataResolver.Resolve (Mono.Cecil.TypeReference type) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.Resolve (Mono.Cecil.TypeReference type) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.Cecil.TypeReference.Resolve () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Unity.UNetWeaver.NetworkBehaviourProcessor.ProcessSyncVars () [0x003cc] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Extensions\Networking\Weaver\UNetBehaviourProcessor.cs:2258
    at Unity.UNetWeaver.NetworkBehaviourProcessor.Process () [0x00059] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Extensions\Networking\Weaver\UNetBehaviourProcessor.cs:55
    at Unity.UNetWeaver.Weaver.ProcessNetworkBehaviourType (Mono.Cecil.TypeDefinition td) [0x00093] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Extensions\Networking\Weaver\UNetWeaver.cs:1142
    at Unity.UNetWeaver.Weaver.CheckNetworkBehaviour (Mono.Cecil.TypeDefinition td) [0x000a0] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Extensions\Networking\Weaver\UNetWeaver.cs:1681
    at Unity.UNetWeaver.Weaver.Weave (System.String assName, IEnumerable`1 dependencies, IAssemblyResolver assemblyResolver, System.String unityEngineDLLPath, System.String unityUNetDLLPath, System.String outputDir) [0x000ab] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Extensions\Networking\Weaver\UNetWeaver.cs:1791

Attached Files:

50. e-sollinger

e-sollinger

RESOLVED:
    Problem was I had LuminSDK unitypackage 0.13.0 in the project from before, and just overwrote it with 0.16.0 ... so needless to say, just wiping out the MagicLeap directory, and re-importing the 0.16.0 fixed the problem.