Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[5.2.1] Images with source image set to NONE reneder with random texture

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by andrei_filip, Sep 24, 2015.

1. andrei_filip

andrei_filip

Hello,

I updated to Unity 5.2.1 today and all my UI Images that I used with NONE in the source image render with a random texture from our project when I play the scene (is the same texture every time). In the image component though the source image is still none.
    The work around for now is to use the default background which is a 9patch and on fullscreen panels have a transparent margin all around.

Anyone encountered this issue?

JoRouss likes this.
  2. andrei_filip

andrei_filip

More digging
    This happens only if canvas component is attached to the object that contains the Image.

3. IntDev

IntDev

4. andrei_filip

andrei_filip

yup, same

5. TheDelhiDuck

TheDelhiDuck

Same issue here.

6. sao

sao

Hi there, same problem. My conclusion was that it basically happens when an Image without SourceImage attached is displayed above other Image object (like when neasting GameObjects etc.).

I've made a bug report on this, hope it'll be sorted out quickly because our UI looks terrible now displaying all those random sprites and there's just to much of it to change it manually.

Bug no. 729882
    https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?729882_09lntu4dh5hp877s

7. unklebooey1

unklebooey1

Yes, I am getting the same thing here. On my slider the fill and the background of the slider are set to no source image. In 5.2.1 a random 9-slice image is populating the slider bar. Top image is 5.1.1, bottom image is 5.2.1.

Thanks!

health_bar_5.1.1.png health_bar_5.2.1.png

jpthek9 and shkar-noori like this.
  8. dCoding

dCoding

Same here, even in the 5.2.1p1 patch released today.

9. greg-harding

greg-harding

Unity 5.2.1f1 was ok for us but the latest Unity 5.2.1p1 patch release totally messed up our UI and beachballs on OS X when picking the affected UI elements in the scene to try to fix them. (We had updated to use fixes for some other 5.2.1f1 bugs but have now rolled back as the patch release is totally broken for us.)

(Cross-post from http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-ui-bug-5-2-1f1.357177/)

edit: @karl.jones mentioned the UI team is looking at this problem (https://twitter.com/karljamesjones/status/647647132153958400)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  10. GXMark

GXMark

What is worrying for me is how such a trivial error got through unity's quality check process. Don't they do such simple tests on their releases?

JoRouss likes this.
  11. evuslu

evuslu

ok, rollback to older version, uppps, that's has also another problem. Now i can't work. Nice work unity team, nice work. It's a classic

12. CG_Echtzeitschmiede

CG_Echtzeitschmiede

I have severe problems with UI images in 5.2.1p1.
    I have trouble when the sprite is set to none as described. But I also have some images that are using the "Filled" image type, these cause all sorts of strange display glitches.

13. phil-Unity

phil-Unity

Unity UI Lead Developer

filled images should also be fixed for p3

jpthek9 likes this.
  14. drussilla

drussilla

For a temp workaround you can install 5.1.2 to other folder, then copy and replace everything except ivy.xml from Editor\Data\UnityExtensions\Unity\GUISystem to the same folder in 5.2.1 version

jpthek9 and gregory_igromatic like this.
  15. jpthek9

jpthek9

About when will it be released? I'm deciding whether or not to revert to a previous Unity.

16. unisip

unisip

This issue also happens on UI elements that are supposed to render "nothing" (that Is, UI elements that override OnFillVBO method with nothing in the method body).

17. phil-Unity

phil-Unity

Unity UI Lead Developer

Should be later this week. Cant say exact day as they might have a delay due for one reason or another.

If you override the OnFillVBO and you want to render nothing you should be clearing the data. otherwise you need to at least set the material and such.

unklebooey1 and jpthek9 like this.
  18. DarkCooker

DarkCooker

Hi Unity Dev,

Does this issue got fixed in 5.2.1 p4?
    And May I know if 5.2.1 p4 covers all bug fixes in 5.2.1 p3,p2,p1?
    Thanks

19. heritagedevelopment

heritagedevelopment

It is fixed since p3. Its ok in p4 also.

20. BusyRobot

BusyRobot

I've got the same problem, for now I'm having to set any images that I want to be blank to 0 alpha to hide the texture being shown.

Does anyone know when this is going to be fixed for the personal edition? as I can't access any beta builds.

21. rywh

rywh

I've noticed that placing a Mask component on either the parent UI element of the elements that have the issue or the element that has no sprite will get rid of the issue. The Mask doesn't seem to have to be enabled either it just has to be a component of the sprite-less element.

I've also noticed that having an enabled element lower in the hierarchy with a Mask can have the same effect, even if the Mask is on a different GameObject, just lower in the hierarchy.

If this is fixed in the newer updates (I'm still on 5.2.1f1) then that's great!

22. Emperor

Emperor

I'm using 5.4.1f1 and this still happens. I don't know if this intentional but setting a material is a workaround.

23. sajberek

sajberek

I ran into this issue in 2017.1.f03
    What happends is, when I play webcamtexture and then load new scene, where I have image component with no sprite attached, the webcamtexture frame is rendered instead of color selected in the image component.
    Does anybody run into this issue? Looks like a bug to me.