Search Unity

5.1 is here

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Aurore, Jun 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dantus

Dantus

What is not working for you? I am still using a release candidate and might delay the update.

2. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Everything is broken in this release. WTF.
    What's going on. Previous update never throw this much exception errors.... all my extensions are now throwing namespace error and stopped loading.

3. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

Oh you are talking about the legacy animation system, this one still work as expected, nothing has changed on this side.

Teku-Studios likes this.
  4. Teku-Studios

Teku-Studios

Yeah, sorry, I should have explicitly mentioned Legacy. My bad.

5. SteveJ

SteveJ

Couldn't reproduce the issue in a clean project. Not sure what's going on, but it's not that the hardware cursor in general is broken.

I've figured out that the cursor only freezes and resets to the centre of the screen in my game when I move around. It's not my code doing it though as I don't actively "do" anything with the cursor. Specifically, if I "tap" W A S or D then everything is fine. If I hold down one of those keys, the problem occurs. I suppress key-repeats in my code though so the code essentially acts as though the player is tapping the key once every second or so if they hold it down. It's almost like the act of holding down a key is the problem, in itself.

Anyway, it's weird and game breaking and a pain in the butt. Definitely a bug of some kind though as it all worked fine in Unity 4.x and 5.0.x. Will try to get to the bottom of it over the weekend.

6. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

No, no... :D Not all at the same time, I wish! :) I mean't 500 players online at once! the races themselves will be 10 players max. :)

7. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I have that issue on my laptop, only in my case it's a driver issue with the dell keyboards... :D (Tends to happen for me outside of unity) And I find so long as I tap "A" or one of the others while holding down the key, I can use both the mouse and keyboard; Worth a try, no? :) Not sure if macs have had similar driver issues, I don't own one.

8. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Ohhh okay much more reasonable. I'd sure hope there is no max concurrent players - I had been planning on using the service as well, but that'll be a deal breaker for me too...

9. larku

larku

It is standard practice to now delete the Library and Temp folders.

In fact they should never be added/commited to version management/source control systems. This is by design and we do it many times a week.

10. SteveJ

SteveJ

So what is the result of that? If I delete the Library and Temp folders on my project right now and then open the project, what does it need to "rebuild"?

11. SteveJ

SteveJ

And I guess the next question is, if it's "standard practice", why isn't it common knowledge (e.g. I didn't know) and why doesn't the product automatically clean up that folder? Manually deleting it seems odd. And what are the consequences is I never delete it manually? So many questions :)

Teku-Studios likes this.
  12. larku

larku

NOTE: It seems the Unity documentation strongly disagrees. I'm sure that the documentation is just very out-of-date and needs to be amended. See: http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/BehindtheScenes.html

But as I understand, this was from the days before .meta files were kept with the assets in the asset folder (which need to be version managed). You can ensure these are turned on by checking Edit->Project Settings->Editor and make sure that Version Control:Mode=Visible Meta Files, Asset Serialization:Mode=Force Text (for version control sanity)

I'm not going to claim to know exactly what's in the Library folder, but I can say with confidence that it's safe to delete if you have Visible Meta Files turned on (which I believe is the default these days?? I've always had it on so I can't be certain here). I essentially do it all the time since every time I clone a new copy of my project from my source repo (git) it needs to 'rebuild' the Library folder. See this common template .gitignore file ( https://github.com/github/gitignore/blob/master/Unity.gitignore ) note that it excludes Library & Temp folders since these are generated files and should never be committed (as per standard VCS policies which typically enforce "no generated files").

What does it rebuild? I'll take some guesses at that - the textures, you import source images and it converts them to the size and format you have specified in your project settings and import settings. Likewise, audio files, meshes, rigs, etc all need to be converted to the format required for the target platform and for use in the editor.

I assume there is also the compiled (IL code) for all your scripts, etc.

Looking at the content of the Library folder gives some clues:

ScriptAssemblies: compiled source files (as DLLs)
    ShaderCache: compiled shaders I assume.
    UnityAssemblies: libraries/runtime stuff for unity (?)

I'm sure some of what I've put here is incorrect - I'm just trying to give an idea of what might be generated in that Library folder. The important point though is, the content of the Library folder is generated from the Unity install, your assets, your project settings, etc.

I can't answer that, it's like anything with a large evolving product, if you never looked into it you may not be aware of it! I'd have thought that anyone who used any VCS would be aware since you'd typically investigate which files are required, which are generated, etc to know what should be committed to the repo and what should not.

I'm pretty sure it's been this way since about Unity 3.5 or so (with visible meta files turned on).

Well, not exactly deleting them, but if you were to commit these to your VCS then you'd have a lot of generated binary files and lots of unnecessary file changes being committed to your repo. Your repo would grow to be huge and it'd be an absolute pain to maintain.

So that's not deleting them but the actual result is the same in that you clone your repo and start without a Library folder each time (same as being deleted).

Edit: Give it a shot yourself, take a copy of your project, delete the Library folder in that copy and open it in unity and see that all is ok! First ensure you have visible meta files turned on (I expect you would anyway)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  13. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

That was how I was going to upload my fx pack at some stage when 4.6 was new. :) (uploading the meta data along with the .zip file so the client computers could reconstruct the dependencies without needing to import a .unitypackage to do so)

14. AlanLadd

AlanLadd

Does any one know when Unity will release with builtin SSR? Will it be this year?

15. jcarpay

jcarpay

Thanks for the info, makes sense.
    Nevertheless, since deleting the library folder can be considered as a drastic measure, I still would like to hear an official word about this.

16. PedroGV

PedroGV

Still waiting for an official response to my question above regarding "_EmissionScaleUI" :(

MrEsquire likes this.
  17. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

The "Current Brightness" is just the max component of the emission color and you can use it as a multiplier in the color picker UI. To adjust emission scaling from script, you just set the _EmissionColor to an HDR color (RGB values higher than 1)

18. tbg10101_

tbg10101_

Performance increases! Yaaaay!

Keep up the good work Unity devs, we appreciate it.

19. larku

larku

jcarpay likes this.
  20. jcarpay

jcarpay

21. PedroGV

PedroGV

Understood. Thanks!

22. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Really? Which platforms? :)

MrEsquire likes this.
  23. kittik

kittik

Are Unity 5.0.1f1 saves compatible with 5.1? I have not yet upgraded in the fear that I may lose progress on my current project.

24. Kiritsu-Games

Kiritsu-Games

Sound import is broken, FSBTool crashes. AVpro quicktime plugin also broke with this release, fortunately the authors released a fix.

To anyone considering upgrading to 5.1, be careful. Looks very shaky so far.

25. CKahler

CKahler

Hi Aurore, I really like that you and the rest of the unity dev team are pushing and improving unity further, however I have massive problems with the new shader compiler with compute shaders (they take much longer to compile and it often crashes with compute shaders that were working in unity5.0)
    Do you know if the compiler will stay that way? Is there any chance to use the old compiler and still have 5.1 running? Cheers,Chris
    @kittik: You have to let unity rebuild your project, but my code wasn't changed at all... I also could go back to 5.0 (but of course had to rebuild it again.) But I think it really depends on your project.

26. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Aras has blogged about it. It's mostly CPU optimisations, ie the code does less work so it must be faster on all platforms. Hopefully.

27. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You would, naturally, be using version control or at least have a backup of your project, so there's no risk in trying 5.1. If something goes wrong you just revert. If you only have one copy of your project, that means your workflow is broken, and fixing it is really not optional.

--Eric

28. nintari

nintari

Yes, I was on the beta. It hasn't happened since. If I disconnect completely from the Internet, I see a No Connection screen with an option to work offline (see attachment). So the issue is really if something is wrong with the login server, it doesn't give you that "Work Offline" button that the no connection screen gives you to bypass that step and get into your work.

Attached Files:

29. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

The regular problem we see with FSBTool recently is not having the correct MSVC Runtime installed. Can you try running it on the command line to see if it even runs? (Perchance did you copy in the install instead of actually using our installer?)

30. Zenix

Zenix

31. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

SHOW ME PROOF! - As for Mobile Development, all I see is degrade in performance..Since 5x

32. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Heh, heh... I can help in that department! :) I have upgraded a mobile project to Unity 5.0, I am yet to test 5.1 with it.

And in such case, I can present proof if it shows up... ;)

MrEsquire likes this.
  33. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Have you created a separate thread about this? It would be easier to get devs to look at the issue.

34. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

@Aurore

Ok, so regarding the upload size limit thing for packages destined to the asset store. I managed to get a hold of the Asset Store's Lead Developer. And here is his statement (which is not the official Unity statement):
    "
    Hi
    As of Unity 5.1 there is no technical maximum size for packages submitted to the Asset Store. We do however encourage publishers not to go beyond the 1GB size. A package larger than 1GB is very huge to download for both our vetting team and for end customers.There is no official statement yet. This needs to be thoroughly tested by our QA department.

Best regards,

Thomas Kristiansen
    Lead Developer, Asset Store"

So if it's possible to have an official statement it'd be great.

thanks

35. Kiritsu-Games

Kiritsu-Games

I used your Unity Editor 32bit installer. Running FSBTool on the command line outputs FSBTool ERROR: No output file path provided.
    Which MSVC Runtime do I need?

Update: Still broken in 5.1.1, though FSBTool on the command line gives no error now.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  36. Aurore

Aurore

AH you beat me to it, well the word yet I think is key here.

37. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Ok, sounds like a different bug, but perhaps specific to the audio files you're importing. Could you please create a bug report and attach a small project with one of the audio files failing for you? (And then post the bug number) Though, this part of the thread probably should shift to the audio forum..

38. Teku-Studios

Teku-Studios

Are there any docs regarding the new 'Crunched' texture format? We are developing a 2D game with insanely huge textures and it would be nice to know more about that compression option (as well as its implications in, say, performance due to decompression).

39. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-TextureImporter.html

The line from that page (pretty far down):

Teku-Studios likes this.
  40. Teku-Studios

Teku-Studios

Nice, thanks a lot. Also, I've faced an uncomfortable bug (already filled a bug report, Case 705649): Unity v5.1.1 can't find TKDiff installed in my computer (I have the latest v4.2), so it does not enable file merging.

I've created a dedicated thread in the Editor & General Support forum:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-v5-1-1f1-unity-cant-find-tkdiff-in-my-computer.334565/

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  41. Kiritsu-Games

Kiritsu-Games

Done, it's case 705599. I'll keep an eye on that an the audio forums then. Thanks

MrEsquire likes this.
  42. chrismarch

chrismarch

Was there an announcement that 5.1.1 was released yesterday? I don't see it in the history of this thread, and this thread is too noisy for me to keep up with. What is the best way to get notifications when a new version of Unity is released? Is there an email notification or a mod. only forum thread?

43. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Just visit Unity3d.com from time to time is what I do.

Edit: and also I have a seventh sense that detects it in the wind. :p

Teku-Studios likes this.
  44. Teku-Studios

Teku-Studios

Just subscribe to ths thread:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-patch-releases.246198/

chrismarch likes this.
  45. Aurore

Aurore

That's for patch releases but we also announce minor releases here.

Teku-Studios likes this.
  46. CKahler

CKahler

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  47. Jog

Jog

Updating into Unity 5.1 gave us a big headache.
    I am not sure yet what exactly happens but I am sure its Unity 5.1 related as rollbacking to older version fixes it.

When in our game humanoid enemy starts animating (most of the time while he's dying) we are having 19203490213401 errors of infinite loop. It stops when its animator gets disabled (when entire object is disblaed, but doing it on animator stops that bug too).
    Its weird as it starts to cast those errors from almost every quaterion on project. Screenshots included:
    http://gyazo.com/d9040e7bdf9f36e872b224da9763c9c3

By the way, when I open any scene in Unity 5.1 it gives this error, which I think is related.
    IsFinite (m_CachedRange.first) && IsFinite (m_CachedRange.second)
    UnityEditorInternal.InternalEditorUtility:LoadSerializedFileAndForget(String)
    UnityEditor.WindowLayout:LoadWindowLayout(String, Boolean)

After googling looks like we are not the only one getting this error:
    https://twitter.com/SeithCG/status/608997594572931072

Once more - its not related with our code. Switching into older Unity version fixes it - rollbacking code from month ago doesnt!

Edit: Got more info about this problem. Its related to exact animations which were working for more than a year already. Now they make those errors.
    When you click on animation under the prefab you cant see a preview:
    http://gyazo.com/b9f21d4a313f49c438c494647f37602f

To fix that you need to remove clip and add it once more. Like that: http://gyazo.com/02d2ab6912debbcbf987b397bee3ec40

About half of animations in our project got damaged on Unity 5.1 - once more, its version bug as on previous it works!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    I am da bawss likes this.
  48. Dantus

Dantus

Did you submit a bug report? I couldn't find it in the issue tracker.

49. JRRReynolds

JRRReynolds

"Crunching" textures doesn't work for iOS yet from reading the docs, is there a plan to develop some sort version for iOS since I think the most benefit of crunching is keeping mobile builds small - if it doesn't apply for iOS it somewhat occludes a large market.

50. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Not possible.

DXT. So it's only for platforms where DXT is supported.

And even if it was possible, not sure if you would want it since pvr is very efficient on its own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.