Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

VR 5.1.0f1 Windowed mode resolution changes in build, stays stuck at 640x480

Discussion in '5.1 Beta' started by Todd-Wasson, May 18, 2015.

1. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

I first ran my build from the launcher in windowed mode 1920x1080 for the Rift and everything was fine. The window showed up the correct size. I then tried running it in full screen mode. On the monitor it showed up in a window, but was size 640x480. This would be fine if it means it can render faster in the Rift, except the water reflections in my lake scene went to an extremely low resolution too and didn't look good anymore. Everything else in the scene was fine except the water.

I then tried running it in Windowed mode again at 1920x1080. At first the window opens up at the correct resolution, but when the monitors blink as it switches everything over to the Rift, the window resizes to 640x480 again. I can now no longer run the build in anything except 640x480 if the Rift is attached.

To reproduce, this will probably work:

1) Start a "virtual reality supported" built project in Windowed mode 1920x1080 with Rift attached and water4example in the scene somewhere.

2) Observe that the window is the correct size and the Rift display is correct. Close the program.

3) Restart the program again, this time choosing "full screen" @ 1920x1080 res. Observe that a window still opens that is of size 640x480. Close the program.

4) Restart the program again, this time choosing "windowed" @ 1920x1080 res. Observe that the window appears briefly at the correct size, then resizes back to 640x480.

5) Restart the program again. The screen resolution in the configuration screen is still at 640x480.

2. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

@Todd Wasson , could you file a bug report with this same info and post the bug report number so that we can track the issue and it's progress easier. Thanks.

3. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

(Case 697857) Resolution Bug with Oculus Rift in Builds 5.1.0f1 beta

4. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

Does anyone know if this has been fixed in 5.1.0f2? With 5.1.0f1 I'm not able to run a build in full screen at all or change resolution now. No matter what I do it's stuck in a 640x480 window.

5. JonDadley

JonDadley

If it's the same thing I'm experiencing, it's still occuring in 5.1.0f2. It seems to be triggered for me by adjusting settings in the quality settings such as anti aliasing options or vsynch options or the windowed / fullscreen options.

This can also 'fix' it. When the issue occurs for me:
    1. Change the above settings back and forth
    2. Do a new build
    3. Hold down 'ctrl' when launching the build to bring up the quality menu.
    4. Make sure the resolution is set to my monitor resolution and uncheck 'windowed'
    5. Launch.
    Sometimes this fixes it. But changing those options and doing a fresh build can make the issue re-occur.

6. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

@Todd Wasson @JonDadley I have been unable to reproduce the issue thus far. I have tried with the repro project that Todd sent and I have tested changing the Quality settings. I am using the latest version of the beta, so this issue may have been related to standalone in general and fixed. I've passed the case on to our QA staff in order for them to try reproducing the issue as well. If either of you find a specific setting that causes this, please let us know so that we can test.

7. williamj

williamj

Unity Technologies

@Todd Wasson @JonDadley I was able to reproduce a similar issue based on Jon's feedback. I enabled v-sync, checked full screen and set the resolution to 1920x1080. I pressed play and the project crashed after flashing a 640x480 window. After launching again the Unity Configuration screen was set to 640x480 resolution and windowed mode was on. Pressing play resulted in another crash after a 640x480 window was displayed. Then I disabled v-sync and the projects built and ran just fine. I know that this isn't exactly what happens with your project but there are some striking similarities.

Anyway, disabling v-sync may be the solution to your problem (NOTE: the fact that the above happens when v-sync is enabled is a bug and we will sort that out). If v-sync is not your issue, we will keep digging around until we can reproduce this issue another way.

-wj

8. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

I don't run v-synch.

9. williamj

williamj

Unity Technologies

Okay, how about anti-aliasing? That can cause issues running VR projects as well.

10. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

Yes, sometimes I run AA and sometimes I don't. I'm not sure how I had it set when I first posted this.

11. MS80

MS80

did you try to delete the project folder in the registry (where player prefs are saved)? After deleting this folder changing the resolution should work again! You also could change the keys in there (Screenmanager Resolution decimal), but deleting is the fastest way, it will be recreated after you start your build for the first time.

=> run regedit => HKEY_CURRENT_USER => Software => "company name" => "project name"

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  12. Chrarc

Chrarc

As far as I can gather this is tied to a more general (and persistent since before 4.6) problem of Player settings, PlayerPrefs and cli arguments not playing together well if at all.

It would be massively helpful if someone from Unity could clarify the priority of these settings and inputs in the Player.