Search Unity

Feature Request 4D variants of noise

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by KillHour, Apr 3, 2022.

1. KillHour

KillHour

Currently, VFX Graph has built in nodes for 1D, 2D and 3D noise, as well as a 3D turbulence option. If you want to animate this noise smoothly, you have to translate the noise in one of its dimensions. However, since the particles are in 3D space, it is easy to see the entire noise "field" move at once in the same direction. 4D variants of noise functions would give us an additional W axis to translate through, providing a realistic "morphing" that isn't obviously translating in a specific direction.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
    LooperVFX likes this.
  2. Qriva

Qriva

What? but shader graph does not have built in 2D and 3D noise (what is huge shame) or you meant Visual Effect Graph?

3. KillHour

KillHour

I did in fact mean VFX Graph. That's what I get for posting so late! That being said, I agree that it's a shame that there isn't parity between the two.

Edit: I guess it's also important to define "2D", 3D", etc. Shader Graph has noise functions that return 1D noise from 2D of UV input. VFX Graph has noise functions that return 1D of noise and 1/2/3D of derivatives from 1/2/3D of positional input, IIRC.

Unity supports 4 channels of UV input and 4 channels of RGBA output, so I think it would be good if built-in noise functions generally had support for up to 4 input channels, 4 output channels and (input x output) channels of derivatives. That being said, the 4 input channels is more important because you can get the 4 output channels (or more) by just having 4x noise blocks and using a combine block. Making noise that supports 4 input dimensions is much more difficult.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
    LooperVFX likes this.