Search Unity

Core GameKit! Pooling / Spawning / Combat

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jerotas, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Neviah

Neviah

So I found out what was glitching, it was level of detail. It's not reading any of my lods after LoD_0. So, I don't think it was anyone's fault but my own. Kinda stuck, but i'll figure it out.

2. jerotas

jerotas

Ok, I haven't dealt with that before so I'll be of no help. I'm sure you'll get it!

Neviah likes this.
  3. jerotas

jerotas

Master Audio and Core Gamekit are both 30% off for two weeks starting today! Heads up to anyone waiting for a price break.

ocimpean likes this.
  4. jerotas

jerotas

V 3.2.7.8 changelog:
    • Fixed bug: Killable in the Scene that was a child game object would create the PoolableInfo script on itself, which would screw up Pool Boss. Only top-level objects should have that.
    • Fixed compile errors for Unity 2018 and possibly 2017 certain versions?
    • Added "Trigger Stay" and "Trigger Stay 2d" events to Triggered Spawner V2 with a "After Stay (seconds)" field.
    • Added "Wave Elim. Bonus Prefab" section to Syncro Spawners. Field for "Spawn on Wave Repeats" allows you to choose final repeat or all.
    • Added "Wave Elim. Bonus Prefab" section to Triggered Spawners V2. Only option is to use on all wave repeats.
    • Name of "Spawn Bonus Prefab" changed to "Wave Elimination Bonus Prefab" everywhere.
    • Fixed warning in Unity 2017.4.1
    • Fixed warnings in Unity 2018.2
    • Now compatible with Bolt Visual Scripting.

julianr likes this.
  5. enlite

enlite

Hi,

Is there a fast way to set the "Item Limit" of all items within a PoolBoss category to the same value instead of manually setting each item one-by-one? I have many items within a category which is quite painful to do by mouse and keyboard.

Many Thanks in advance.

6. jerotas

jerotas

If you expand all, you should be able to forgo the mouse and just hit tab a few times to get to the next Item Limit I think? No real easy way to do it though.

7. jerotas

jerotas

V 3.2.7.9 changelog:
    • Fixed bug: Triggered Spawner V2 tracking would sometimes trigger wave completed when things still unspawned.
    • Fixed bug: Triggered Spawner V2 "disable event after" did not wait for wave repeats before disabling, so repeats did not happen.
    • Fixed bug: Unity 2018 will crash when trying to select a Prefab Pool due to serialization changes.
    • Fixed bug: Restarting the game when you're still in the first Global Wave would not restart the incremental wave changes.
    • Fixed bug: Android will now save World Variable values when you press the home button to exit game.
    • Fixed bug: If you simultaneously restart the game (when not GameOver) and unpause the global wave, you would have an extra prefab spawn from your wave spawner.
    • Fixed bug: Restarting same wave would wait for the wave repeat time. Now will restart immediately.
    • Fixed bug: Small garbage collection in Pool Boss.
    • Fixed bug: Opening LevelWaveSettings prefab in Unity 2018.3 caused errors and the Create button was missing.
    • Now supports auto-destroy of LevelWaveSettings in the Scene you're loading if you already had a persistent LevelWaveSettings game object from a previous Scene.

8. enlite

enlite

Hi,

I have being getting this "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error, when I use "Timed" wave setup, Wave Settings->Repeat Wave->Timed Repeat Mode = "Elimination Style".

The error occur in this line:
    SpawnBonusPrefabIfSelected(_lastPrefabKilled.position);
    in the file: WaveSyncroPrefabSpawner.cs

The problem occurs in the example project as well.

Can anyone help?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  9. jerotas

jerotas

I'm not aware of this error. Which example scene is it happening in? And what version of unity are you using?

10. enlite

enlite

Hi,

The problem is in the 3.EnemyGetsTougher_ClickDamage example, where the "Timed" Wave Type is used.

I am using the latest version of the Core GameKit.

It appears that it causes exception after a period of time after game starts, mainly due to the function:
    private void CheckForWaveRepeat()
    {
    MaybeRepeatWave()
    }

Within the
    private void MaybeRepeatWave()
    {
    } else if (LevelSettings.PreviousWaveInfo.waveType == LevelSettings.WaveType.Timed) {
    switch (_currentWave.curTimedRepeatWaveMode) {
    case WaveSpecifics.TimedRepeatWaveMode.EliminationStyle:
    SpawnBonusPrefabIfSelected(_lastPrefabKilled.position);
    WaveRepeat();
    break;​
    }

the _lastPrefabKilled == null, when running breakpoint is set.

EDIT: ticking "End When All Destroyed" causes the null exception to occur.

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  11. jerotas

jerotas

Yeah, I found it and fixed for next update.

If you want to fix, just add a null check around that line:
    Code (csharp):
    2. if (_lastPrefabKilled != null) {
    3.     SpawnBonusPrefabIfSelected(_lastPrefabKilled.position);
    4. }

12. enlite

enlite

Thanks for your help. With so many features packed into the asset, I understand it is difficult to test all the possible configurations and execution paths.So far really happy that I purchased this asset. Keep up the great work.

13. jerotas

jerotas

Thanks enlite, I don't have as much time as before to work on this product, but I can at least keep it working.

14. jerotas

jerotas

V 3.2.8.0 changelog:
    • Fixed bug with Pool Boss getting cleared out after persistent LevelSettings going to a new Scene with another LevelSettings that gets destroyed.
    • Fixed bug spamming the Console on example Scene 3 having to do with BonusPrefab setting.
    • Fixed bug: feature added on October 2018 caused Strict Time Style repeating on a spawner to not work (required killing all).
    • Fixed bug: Killable Inspector broken if no prefab assigned to Death Prefab and that section expanded in Unity 2018.3
    • Fixed bug: RestartGame did not set IsGameOver to false, but it should have.
    • Fixed Unity 2018.3 extra warnings for non-prefabbed Game Object.
    • Triggered Despawners now have a min/max pause time before repeating a wave, just like Syncro Spawners. It was just a fixed value. Now it's random between the 2.
    • There's now a "Local / Global" (defaults to Global) dropdown on Triggered Spawner V2 and Syncro Spawner that you can set to Local to apply the randomization / incremental / offset settings taking into account the spawner's rotation.
    • "Disable Colliders Also" option for Composite Killables now disable all colliders on the Game Object instead of just the first.

15. jerotas

jerotas

V 3.2.8.1 changelog:

• Fixed bug in SyncroSpawner on repeats in non-bonus prefab waves. Logged to console.
    • Inspector now shows at runtime with Unity 2018.3.

16. CF-Games

CF-Games

Hello,

I have a few issues I wasn't able to figure out how to do just from looking at documentation, past forum posts, and videos (most of the videos are years old):

1.) My game has 1 level but I want to be able to spawn infinite waves of increasing difficulty such as more enemy hp, faster movement, large scale, etc). I could set up 10 different waves and set it to "Repeat all levels from beginning", but that just pretty much starts the game over without making the enemies harder. How could I set up an endless type level where the waves increase in difficulty every time it restarts from the beginning after winning?

2.) How would I go about saving what wave the player left off on so that when the player quits and decides to play again, they can resume at the wave they left off on? This would also be useful for replaying previous waves. If I just have it start on a specific wave, it would start it with the settings from the Level Wave Settings. But what if they player is on wave 45 and I only have 10 waves set up in the settings? By wave 45 I mean I had 10 waves set up, and the player has beaten all 10 waves 4 times. It restarted from wave 1 again and they are currently on wave 5, but a much more difficult version of the default wave 5.

3.) Is there an option to turn off the triangle for the spawners when in Play mode, or do I just have to turn off the mesh renderer?

17. jerotas

jerotas

#1, you would increase a World Variable or two that you use in your spawners when they win. This is the key.
    #2, you will need to handle that with your own code by saving the level in a PlayerPref when they quit, then call LevelSettings.GotoWave when the game starts to reach that level. Now if you don't actually have that many waves, you will need to set some World Variables to simulate what "level 45" should be - this goes in conjunction with the approach used in my answer to #1.
    #3, yes - and this is shown in one of the first videos I did - you turn off the particular layer that the spawners are in, in the layer mask for the main camera. You can create a new layer and put the entire LevelSettings game object in that layer if you need to.

18. CF-Games

CF-Games

Thanks for the quick reply. I also ran into some other issues:

1.) I was also wondering if there's a way to put in specific paths for each spawner. I currently have four spawners set up and four paths set up using Simple Waypoint System. Each spawner spawns enemies that follow a path. I currently have a script on each enemy prefab that has a path assigned to them, but in order to use the same prefab for a different spawner, I would need to create a copy of that enemy prefab and set it up with a different path. But this means I would need to have four different prefabs for each enemy, with the only difference being the path they are assigned to. I'm currently using a custom subclass for WaveSyncroSpawnerListener and then in the ItemSpawned method, I'm checking for the name of the spawner, getting the script component of my spawned enemies and adjusting the assigned path based on the name of the spawner. Is this the best way to do this, or is there a more simple way?

2.) For PoolBoss, I need to reset my enemies to their starting states after they despawn so that they can spawn again with default values. Do I also do this through a subclass of the PoolBoss listener with the ItemDespawned method, or is there a better way? In some older posts, I see you say to add the reset code to the OnDespawned event, but I don't see that anywhere in the API.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  19. jerotas

jerotas

#1, you're going to have to build that. There are some things that will make it easy. If there's a Killable script on the things you spawn, they have a SpawnedFromObject property that will return the spawner, in case you want to put pathing-generating scripts for that spawner on the spawner. You can call that from your KillableListener subclass.

#2, Think of OnDespawned as a MonoBehaviour event like Start, Update, etc. Add the OnDespawned method to any script that you have on the game object that gets spawned and it will be called just before it despawns. It's not "in the API" or a method on any class in Core GameKit, but it gets called by Pool Boss.

20. CF-Games

CF-Games

Hello,

1.) I'm not sure if it's a bug or if I have it set up wrong, but the Delay Wave setting in the Syncro Spawners don't seem to work when I have the Pause Global Waves checked in the Wave Completion Options in the Level Wave Settings. It works if that's the wave it starts with, but not if the wave starts paused from completing the previous wave. Like I have a wave that has 2 spawners. One starts spawning right away, but I want the 2nd spawner to start spawning after a certain delay. The delayed spawner starts paused after completing the previous wave and then when the player is ready to continue with the next wave, they can press a button that calls LevelSettings.UnpauseWave(). It works fine if the button is pressed right away, but if the player waits, it seems the delay timer is already ticking and if I wait long enough before clicking the button, the delayed spawner starts spawning right after unpausing the wave..

2.) I'm currently using the WaveItemsRemainingChanged method to show the number of enemies remaining, but I was wondering if there's a way to show the number of enemies that are suppose to spawn instead. Like if I have a wave of 10 enemies, I'd like to have the number of enemies say 10 instead of the number increasing only when they spawn.

21. jerotas

jerotas

#1 sounds like a bug, and probably easily fixable. I'll try and get that into the next update after the one I'm working on now.

#2, That's a tough one. You can have any number of spawners spawning things during a wave, so you'd need to the total number they're all going to spawn, right? Plus, any of the waves on the spawners for that Level/Wave picks a random number between Min to Spawn and Max to Spawn, which is not known at the time the wave "starts" via in the Listener. I could probably add something to WaveStarted to get you that info, but that's pretty random in my opinion and there might be tons of other spawner-aggregate info you'd want later.

How many spawners do you use in a wave?

22. CF-Games

CF-Games

I'm going to have a max of 9 spawners (1 for each path of my tower defense type game). But it's going to vary from 1 to 9 depending on the level/wave. Each spawner's min and max to spawn are set to the same number because it shouldn't be random in this type of game. So I just need a way to get that number (either Min to Spawn, or Max to Spawn) at the beginning of each wave from each active spawner and then add them up to get the total number of enemies.

23. jerotas

jerotas

Ok, I'll if I can add that sometime next week. I'll post back here soon.

24. jerotas

jerotas

V 3.2.8.2
    • Added "Spawn Scale Mode" to both types of Spawners. Choices are: Use Prefab Scale (default), Use Spawner Scale, Percent of Spawner Scale, and Custom Scale.
    • Added CategoryItemsDespawnedList mode to PoolBoss, to get a list of things unspawned and available to spawn.

25. jerotas

jerotas

Core GameKit is now on sale for only $20! Normal price is $50. If you need some more licenses, it's not gonna get any cheaper.

26. jerotas

jerotas

I've completed this code, and there's a new parameter passed to WaveStarted that has what you want. It will be in the next update.

You can email us with your Asset Store invoice PDF for the beta any time though.

27. CF-Games

CF-Games

Thanks for adding the new feature. I'll wait until the new version is released since I still have a lot of other parts to work on for my game.

jerotas likes this.
  28. CF-Games

CF-Games

Hello,

I just realized that I didn't see any additional mention of it, but will the bug with the delay setting in the spawners also be fixed in the next update?

29. jerotas

jerotas

I don't think I've fixed that. Please send me details in an email again so I can see if I can reproduce it.

30. CF-Games

CF-Games

31. jerotas

jerotas

32. jerotas

jerotas

33. dKaiser20

dKaiser20

Hello!

I`m a beginner for coding and I just bought core game kit for that, but I don` t see any tutorial on how to use events, custom events and listeners in particular. Though I see some examples in the example scenes but due to my limited amount of knowledge I can barely understand how to use it. I especially need help more guidance in creating a custom scripts using these events/listeners and how to implement them.

You may ask me what kind of functionality in particular i am looking for, the answer is in general, the use of it and how to fully utilize that functionality.

Thank you

Kind regards,
    dK

34. jerotas

jerotas

There are no tutorials but there is documentation to read.

http://www.dtdevtools.com/docs/coregamekit/Listeners.htm

35. dark_tonic

dark_tonic

if you're just starting out, you may also want to watch our series of vid tutorials on youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW6fMWQDKB24osBmTuJd0IG8R5tOim6eV

There are quite a few for Core GameKit that can help get you up to speed quickly.

36. dKaiser20

dKaiser20

Hello,

Before posting I`ve already read the documentation and watched the videos however I still cannot do it though I have a little idea an additional tutorial would be a really great help.

Another thing, just a quick question hope you`ll help the humble me about this. How do I set a killable object [missile] to be despawned when colliding to a certain object(killable [player])? The killable [missile] will be destroyed when damaged by a certain amount and the player will get a score when he destroys it, however if the player[obj 2] misses and got hit by it the [missile] will just despawn and doesn`t get destroyed(die) so the player will not get a score and still damages the player as they collide. How should I set it up so that the player will just lose HP but not gain a score if hit by a missile[despawn and not die]?

Looking forward for your kind and expert reply about this . Thank you.

Best regards,
    Jayson

37. jerotas

jerotas

Studying the example Scenes included in the plugin might have revealed this, but here goes:

First you will need to put the Player game object in its own Layer that has nothing else except the Player.
    Then on the Missile Killable, you set Layer Filter to the Player Layer only. This will mean that only the Player will "fight" with the Missile when they collider.

If you also have projectiles that the player shoots to destroy the missile, then you will also put that project in its own layer. Make sure to add the projectile layer to the layer filter for the missile. Also put the Missile layer into the layer filter for the projectile so they will fight each other if they collide.

You probably got all this set up.

The hard part is how to get score only when the Missile dies by projectile and not colliding with the player.
    There are Death World Variable Modifier Scenarios that you can use for different sets of modifying World Variables based on how they died, and that is what you would need to use to accomplish it.

Read about that on this page: http://www.dtdevtools.com/docs/coregamekit/Killables.htm

Relevant portion below:

upload_2019-7-25_15-53-27.png

Attached Files:

38. dKaiser20

dKaiser20

Hello,

You are right about the layering part, I was able to implement it already before posting. Regarding Death World variable modifier scenario, thank you for the reference I kinda got to understand it a little. However i was not able to use it, instead I used "Use Death Distance" to despawn the killable upon reaching the not moving player(much like a castle/fortress).

Another question, sorry if this bothers you in any case coz again im just beginning to learn c#, that`s why I purchased CGK and MasterAudio. I just can`t find any guide in implementing addhitpoints,

I added addhitpoints(int) to a button to do some repair for the damaged player/fortress,

upload_2019-7-27_12-48-33.png

Im using world variable listener to update the health in my UI, and it does so update the health but
    whenever the player gets damaged the health gets updated from the previous health when it was last damaged.

actual scenario: player HP 100 => damaged => HP 80 => button(addhitpoints +20) #the error below occurs => HP (back to 100) => damaged by 1 => HP 79 => button(addhitpoints) => HP 99 => damaged by 1 => HP 78.

what do you think am I missing? I`ve been trying to make hitpoints value be equal to the World variable Health so that whenever I want to heal the player via button click I want to update and heal the player, I just dont know how to make it that way.

many thanks for the reply.

Cannot set KillerInt with source of: Variable
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    DarkTonic.CoreGameKit.LevelSettings:LogIfNew(String, Boolean) (at Assets/Plugins/DarkTonic/CoreGameKit/Scripts/Level/LevelSettings.cs:1339)
    DarkTonic.CoreGameKit.KillerInt:set_Value(Int32)
    (at Assets/Plugins/DarkTonic/CoreGameKit/Scripts/Settings/KillerInt.cs:88)
    DarkTonic.CoreGameKit.Killable:AddHitPoints(Int32) (at Assets/Plugins/DarkTonic/CoreGameKit/Scripts/Combat/Killable.cs:604)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()

39. dKaiser20

dKaiser20

Ok, finally found some solution for this. Please let me know if im doing it right.

I just added a button and a killable to a gameobject.
    button so I can do onClick addHitpoints function
    killable so that I can update the World Variable Health everytime its destroyed
    example: if addHitpoints +20, if killable is destroyed(through mouse down event) it will add 20 Health
    then I just respawn the killable.

what do you think?

thanks

40. jerotas

jerotas

I believe you will not want to use a world variable for this. You can set a world variable to the current health by using a killable listener would be appropriate event when the killable gets damaged or modified hit points. Then your world variable listener will update the UI.

Alternatively, you can try keeping the World Variable sync and calling DamageKillable(int damage) with a negative number to boost health. It may work where AddHitPoints doesn't.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  41. dKaiser20

dKaiser20

Thank you, looks like it still doesn`t work and I can`t seem to find the method DamageKillable(int damage).
    So, I have decided to change the design of my game and ended up with just the player taking damge and if the HP turns to 0 I`ll just deduct 1 life(from world variable lives) .

42. jerotas

jerotas

Sorry, it's TakeDamage(int damage). The list of methods is on the API here:

http://www.dtdevtools.com/API/coregamekit/class_dark_tonic_1_1_core_game_kit_1_1_killable.html

dKaiser20 likes this.
  43. dKaiser20

dKaiser20

Hello,

Just to put an end to my concern. I`d like to thank you for your constant support, now I am able to solve most of my problems with the code below and healing the player using TakeDamage(int damage) as this updates the health W.variable as well.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using DarkTonic.CoreGameKit;
    3. public class MyKillableListenerSubclass : KillableListener
    4. {
    6.     public override void TakingDamage(int pointsDamage, Killable enemyHitBy)
    7.     {
    8.         base.TakingDamage(pointsDamage, enemyHitBy);
    10.         var playerHP = GetComponent<Killable>().CurrentHitPoints;
    12.         var healthWorldVariable = WorldVariableTracker.GetWorldVariable("Health");
    15.         playerHP -= pointsDamage;
    17.         healthWorldVariable.CurrentIntValue = playerHP;
    20.         if (enemyHitBy != null)
    21.         {
    22.             PoolBoss.Despawn(enemyHitBy.Trans);
    23.         }
    24.     }
    25. }

hopeful likes this.
  44. jerotas

jerotas

Cool. The Listeners can do almost anything. That's the point of them.

45. chrisk

chrisk

Hi, there is one feature that makes me really exciting for 2019.3, that is, fast "Enter-To-Play" mode.
    It will let you enter the play almost instantly and I think it will be a game-changer for those who are having issues with the long wait.
    More information is available here. https://docs.google.com/document/d/...j-Pd9M71Uz9dc-dg4/edit#heading=h.2gazcsgmxkub

I just downloaded and tested various Assets, but unfortunately, CGK is not compatible with it, but many other assets that work without a problem.

I think the problem is basically, you cannot rely on Assembly reload domain initializations, meaning that "static" variables need to be reinitialized when the game begins. It's not difficult to fix it. There is a RuntimeInitializeOnLoadMethod Attribute that you can initialize the static variables.

If one asset does not support the fast enter-to-play mode, we cannot use the fast mode at all and I hope CGK is not such asset. And this is just a reminder that you should take a look if you haven't already.
    I know 2019.3 is in alpha stage and I don't expect you to do support it before it enters the beta stage, but it won't hurt to take a look early. It can also save you time while testing.

Personally, I would like to move to 2019.3 as early as possible because having to wait ~20seconds to enter the play mode is just too painful and right now CGK is stopping me from using it.

Many thanks for the support.

46. jerotas

jerotas

I generally do not touch pre-release builds unless there's a compile error. However this sounds really cool so I may download the alpha and see if this is easy to do. Thanks for the information.

47. chrisk

chrisk

Big thumbs up! Yeah, it's going to be a game changer for those who are working on large-scale games. Thanks.

48. jerotas

jerotas

That includes us too and we use all our plugins in our build so this is mandatory for us.

49. jerotas

jerotas

V 3.2.8.3 changelog:
    • Fixed spam error to Console for TriggeredSpawnerV2.
    • Fixed bug where a Global Wave that's set to Pause Global Waves on completion wouldn't respect Spawner's Delay Wave settings taking into account the pause time.
    • Fixed Inspector errors for editing Custom Event names and Category names in Pool Boss.
    • Fixed bug in Unity 2018.3 where editing a "visualized" Triggered Spawner from Project View would create Game Objects in the Scene during edit mode.
    • Fixed World Variable checking during startup so that only invalid World Variable selections that are visible (appropriate section is being used) are logged to the Console.
    • Fixed bug: "Spawn On Death Hit" for Damage and Deal Damage Prefab field should be visible even if you don't have a prefab selected, and now also controls the firing of any Custom Events defined as well on a death hit. Renamed to "Spawn/Fire On Death Hit".
    • Added new parameter to WaveStarted method of LevelSettingsListener, which contains the total number of items that will spawn from all spawners for the wave.
    • Added the ability for multiple separate Death Prefabs, all with their own settings, in Killable.
    • Added "Death / Damage Velocity" for Killables so you can choose a velocity that either kills or does damage to it, continuously checked or on valid collision.
    • Renamed "Deal Damage Prefab Settings & Events" section in Killable to "Deal Damage Settings".
    • Renamed "Deal Damage Prefab Type" to "Deal Damage Spawn Source" in Killable.
    • Added "Deal Damage Mode" choice which allows you to choose Attack Points (default) or Calculation. Choices for Calculation are: Fixed, Fixed Times Mass, Fixed Times Velocity, & Fixed Times Velocity Times Mass.
    • Added Spawn Limit section to Triggered Spawner V2, including what Syncro Spawner already had (Min Distance) and Spawn Cap.
    • Added "Spawn Cap" field under Spawn Limit Controls on Syncro Spawner to limit the amount of active spawns at any time from that wave to the number you specify.
    • Renamed "Spawn Outside Pool" for Triggered Spawner V2 to "Spawn Outside".
    • Moved "Spawn Outside", Spawn Layer / Tag Mode under new section "Spawn Settings" for Triggered SpawnerV2.
    • Added checkbox on Particle Despawner to "Wait On Child Object Particles". Defaults to false.
    • Added new controls for "Spawn Settings" in Triggered Spawner: Spawn Follows Spawner and Spawner Disabled Behavior (option to Stop All Particles). Option to stop child particles as well.
    • Added option for NavMeshAgent enable delay by X frames in Pool Boss after spawning, which solves a bug with NavMeshAgent.

50. jerotas

jerotas

V 3.2.8.4 changelog:
    • Fixed Project View bug when you no LevelSettings in Scene.