Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

4 million polygon terrain...

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Richard_B, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Richard_B

Richard_B

This is a scrren snap of a 2K by 2K vertex terrain ... still needs some work before it is production ready though.

Richard.

Attached Files:

2. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Eeek! Very nice.

Do you use any LOD or it's good old brute-force (I'd guess it's bruteforce from the topic name)? How fast does this run?

3. Richard_B

Richard_B

Brute force at the moment - the meshes are just tiled with boundary normals matched. The next step is a simple LOD. The above is waaay bigger than I need but I thought I would just push the envelope :) The response to a fly around is still good on my machine ( GeForce 68000 ultra) but there is no collision detection. If I add the mesh collision component the physics engine takes so long to pre-process you could go for a long walk. Since the terrain is generated from a height map there is no real need for mesh collision detection as you can just read the height from the map, however, the FP controller etc would need re-writing to take this into account :-(

Richard.

4. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

I have been trying to create tiled terrains for a while but have had trouble with the normals not matching up at the edges. How did you make them match up? What program are you using?

5. Richard_B

Richard_B

I cheated! I made the meshes so that the vertices along the edges of adjacent meshes coincide. Then I just used the mesh.ReCalculateNormals to intialise the normals on the first mesh, then copied those along the edge onto the vertices along the adjacent edge of the next tile - type of thing. This doesn't give quite the correct normals on the edge (since I assume ReCalculateNormals is only using half the triangles) but seems to work visually.

I still need to fix the uv assignments, the tangents and then implement a simple LOD. When the script is production ready I'll post it.

Richard.