Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

4.6 iOS 64-bit beta

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by jonas-echterhoff, Jan 12, 2015.

1. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@Lintz

Thanks for reporting this, we will definitely need to get it corrected. Can you submit a bug with this project?

2. Lintz

Lintz

@JoshPeterson

You want me to use "Report a Bug" in Unity Editor. right? I'd like to know why you need this. Because if you need whole project source files, I'm now allowed to send it out of the company. Please let me know what else I can do.

3. myzeru

myzeru

I have a question about WebRequest class. Was it added in Unity 4.6.3? I feel it seems still unsupported.

Code (CSharp):
    1. NotSupportedException: http://...............
    2.   at System.Net.Sockets.SocketException..ctor (Int32 error) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    3.   at System.Net.WebRequest.GetCreator (System.String prefix) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    4.   at System.Net.WebRequest.Create (System.Uri requestUri) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    5.   at System.Net.WebRequest.Create (System.String requestUriString) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    6. [I]  at ........... ellipsis ............[/I]
    7.   at Replacements.RemotingServices.CreateClientProxy (System.Type objectType, System.String url, System.Object[] activationAttributes) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    8.   at UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour.StartCoroutine_Auto (IEnumerator routine) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    9.   at UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour.StartCoroutine (IEnumerator routine) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    10.   at test.OnGUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    11.   at Replacements.RemotingServices.CreateClientProxy (System.Type objectType, System.String url, System.Object[] activationAttributes) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    12. Replacements.RemotingServices:CreateClientProxy(Type, String, Object[])
    13. UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine_Auto(IEnumerator)
    14. UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
    15. test:OnGUI()
    16. Replacements.RemotingServices:CreateClientProxy(Type, String, Object[])
    18. (Filename: currently not available on il2cpp Line: -1)

4. AGaming

AGaming

Thank you for your response and your help. I only get these errors in conjunction UFPS + UFPS Mobile.

Thank you for your response and your help. I only get these errors in conjunction UFPS + UFPS Mobile.

Then I'll look forward to updates :)

5. Anozireth

Anozireth

They definitely still have some WebRequest issues that they're aware of. Never hurts to file a bug, especially if you can make a simple project that reproduces the issue.

6. cojo71

cojo71

@JoshPeterson is there any update you can give us on the progress / remaining work / ETA of MakeGenericType support? For build size, build time, and Parse this seems to be the one remaining massive blocker across a lot of boards. Would love some additional clarity here.

Thanks for your hard work and that of the rest of the team!

7. JKyx

JKyx

8. Catacomber

Catacomber

@JoshPeterson

Any updates on my bug report?

Case 675213

My game's not really stable on 32 and 64 bit devices.

I read another Unity dev's thread from here at TouchArcade which is the forum to go to for iOS games.

He said on Touch Arcade in the thread for his game "Unity is in a mini crisis".

I hope that's not really true.

Am waiting hopefully that my game will be stable on iOS. I'd like to release it in the next few months.

Thanks for all your help. I can update to 5.0. If that would help me, please let me know. I will update once I see it's stable.

My PRO iOS subscription expires in April or May--I want to keep it up-- but have to be able to have a reason to want to do it. Right now, not sure. I wouldn't post my doubts about this outside of here---but hoping things will work out soon.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  9. loveli

loveli

What is the status on this one? We have the same problem but I can't find that case/issue (667481)?

10. cwaspfst

cwaspfst

@JoshPeterson

With 4.6.3p2 still have the same problems on iPod4:

The LogInAsync method in the ParseSDK worked correctly on iPhone 5s, but not login on iPod4 (and I think on other 32-bit devices too).
    (4.6.3p1 From the release notes, these are the fixes for iOS and iOS 64-bit issues:
    • (669983) - iOS/IL2CPP: Allow the LogInAsync method in the ParseSDK to work correctly.
    )
    Also I can't get data from Parse on iPod without any login, but on iPhone 5s it works since 4.6.3f1 version.

Сan you specify what time it is necessary to correct problems with the Parse SDK, this will be done within a month or need a longer period?

11. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@Lintz

Actually, we just need the inputs to IL2CPP, so we don't need all of the source files, just the assemblies that IL2CPP will convert. Often the entire project is an easy way to send these. However, I completely understand that you cannot send the entire project. If possible, can you send only those assemblies? They should be the Temp/StagingArea/Data/Managed directory in your project after the IL2CPP error.

If you can report a bug from the editor, then later zip up that directory and attach it to an email with the bug report, that will help us investigate the cause of the problem. Thanks.

12. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@myzeru

Yes, WebRequest support was added in 4.6.3, but we have a few outstanding bugs related to this issue. We will release a fix as soon as it is ready. Unfortunately, that's the best information I can provide now.

13. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@cojo71

Unfortunately we don't have an ETA yet. We are continuing to push for this, and we're looking for work arounds in the mean time. We have MakeGenericMethod working in 4.6.3p2, with at least one bug fix yesterday that will be coming in 4.6.3p3.

I suspect that we are a few weeks away from full MakeGenericType support, but that is a guess at best. We are hoping to ship a work around sooner if possible though. We will give you more information when we have it though. Thanks.

14. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@JKyx

This issue is related to the lack of support for MakeGenericType, so we don't have a fix yet, but we are working on it. Note that we do have a work around possible in some cases. We will investigate this case and let you know if there is a work around possible. Thanks.

15. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@catacomber

This issue looks like it is not IL2CPP specific, but is instead an iOS issue. I've pinged our iOS team about it, and they will investigate more.

For Unity question about Unity 5. An iOS team developer did mention that it might help. This bug looks like it might be hitting an out of memory issue. Our developer mentioned that with Unity 5, we are using ARC for Objective C code, which will often lower the memory usage. I'm not sure that it will work, but it might be worth a try.

Although it may look like "Unity is in a mini crisis" from the outside (and I can understand that feeling) I can assure you that we are not in a crisis at all internally. We are working very hard to ship stable 64-bit iOS support to more and more users. Do we make mistakes at times? Yes, I think that is unavoidable with non-trivial software development.

However, we know what issues we need to fix, and we are working on correcting them as quickly as we can, while still shipping a stable product. We fully expect to ship iOS 64-bit support using IL2CPP on par with the Mono scripting backend soon. We will get there incrementally, but we will get there.

I'll say again what a pleasure it has been working with this community as well. Personally I really, really don't like buggy software, so I appreciate your patience and bug reports.

16. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@loveli

I just looked at case 667481 in our system. It looks like it was corrected, and both the original submitter and our QA team verified the fix. It seems like the fix was made in 4.6.2f1. Are you still seeing it in a later version? If so, we may need to open a new bug or re-open this one. Thanks.

17. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@cwaspfst

Unfortunately I can't specify a time frame on a fix. Based on our past history for correctly issues like this, I certainly think it is likely that we will have it fixed within a month, but until it is corrected, I don't want to give a definite time for fear of misleading anyone.

I suspect that we can correct the specific issue related to 32-bit devices sooner, as that is likely simpler than the more general issues we have related to the Parse SDK. I wish I could provide more information now, but that is the best I can do.

18. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

I have some positive news to report about WebRequest - we have found a work around for some problems in 4.6.3p2, and we should have a fix in 4.6.3p3.

If you are seeing a NotSupportedException thrown from WebRequest.GetCreator, we have tracked down the cause of that problem.

In 4.6.3p2 the problem occurs when the Api Compatibility Level is set to a value of ".NET 2.0". If you change the setting to ".NET 2.0 Subset" then the problem will not occur. I'm aware that some projects need to use ".NET 2.0", so unfortunately this work around will not apply.

However, we have a fix ready internally that should be available in 4.6.3p3, so that This exception will not occur with the ".NET 2.0" setting as well.

Note that this work around and fix only impact this specific exception. We likely still have other WebRequest bugs outstanding. If you have submitted a WebRequest bug that is still open, I'll be responding to it soon. I'm going to run through them and see how they perform with this fix.

big_march and Simie like this.
  19. JJC1138

JJC1138

The test case I posted is still working fine for me in 4.6.3p2, so I guess it's a slightly different issue that you're seeing @loveli.

20. FSpark

FSpark

I'm also seeing the BaseVideoTexture.ReleaseVideoMemory error with Mono only builds on 4.3.1p1 :(

21. BlackLotus

BlackLotus

Please I could really, really use a status on Photon Networking plug-in working with IL2CPP, issue is below, it's a problem with your Sockets implementation most likely.

Right now we basically cannot ship a game to iOS that's using Photon Networking, which is a great networking plug-in.

http://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?677305_lql424noo0e631b9

Also, will any of these patches to 4.6 be replicated into 5.0 automagically or will we have to wait for a specific 5.0 patch?

drawcode likes this.
  22. Catacomber

Catacomber

Thanks for looking into it. With a team like yours working on these problems I'm happy to wait and feel confident things will iron out. I'll try Unity 5 and sit tight.

23. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@BlackLotus

We have not yet investigated this specific bug, although we are looking at some socket issues in other bugs, so we may end up fixing this one as well. In any case, I've made sure that it is in our queue to investigate.

Any changes in 4.6 patch releases will make it to Unity 5 patch releases via a similar process. Internally we have one IL2CPP code base that we develop, and we handle getting to to each version for release. Our goal is to continue to push the latest IL2CPP fixes with each patch release on a weekly basis.

24. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

@JoshPeterson Just an FYI, I think it has been reported but I'm not sure bug number... People have been having issues with JSON .NET and IL2CPP when trying to deserialize Arrays. Even arrays of primitive types are an issue and when deserialized, the array gets created but just as an empty array. Switching the collection type to List<T> fixes the issue so I have a workaround but it's not convenient for everyone. Do you know if this has been reported? If not, I'll make sure to get a bug report in.

25. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

For anyone seeing deadlocks or timeouts with WebRequests on iOS devices, we have identified an issue in our ThreadPool code with work items that are queued from within other work items when the pool is already at max capacity. This happens frequently with the WebRequest code. A fix will be available shortly. To work around the issue, manually force the pool to greater capacity using ThreadPool.SetMaxThreads.

26. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@Dustin Horne

After a quick look, I don't see a bug like this. Would you mind submitting one? That will definitely help us out. Thanks.

27. GuillaumeZAHRA

GuillaumeZAHRA

I don't know if it's a regression, but my splash screen is not shown when the game is launched, instead i have the default "Unity" splash screen. Only the "Shared Mobile" logo is set on my project, but it's normally sufficient.

Did i do something wrong, or is it a regression ?
    Using 4.6.3p2

28. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Thanks Josh, I thought it had been submitted by one of my customers. I'll jump in and get one submitted. I need to check back at my product forums quick because one of my customers actually found a workaround so I can actually even tell you exactly what reflection method is failing.

29. EddieCam

EddieCam

Getting a new issue, I think was reported by clients since at least 4.6.1, but I only noticed after p2.
    Crashes after a few minutes from within a OnAudioFilterRead function (possibly related to the lock statement?)
    Screen Shot 2015-03-06 at 3.10.38 pm.png
    Could only manage to reproduce with the whole project, included with case #678104

Please let me know if you're aware of this issue, I have clients waiting on release. Thanks!

30. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@Paam

I've not heard about this yet, but it also might a bit outside of my knowledge (which is somewhat limited to IL2CPP). Does the same thing happen with the Mono scripting backend? If so, then I'll get our iOS team involved.

31. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@EddieCam

Since this issue may have happened in 4.6.1 (before IL2CPP was released), can you try it with the Mono scripting backend as well? I would like to know if it happens there as well. That will help us determine what might be causing the problem. Thanks.

32. GuillaumeZAHRA

GuillaumeZAHRA

I will take a look about that.

33. InsomniakDev

InsomniakDev

Same thing here, I use the webcamTexture to take a picture then I destroy the webcamTexture and this is where I get this crash.
    Using Unity 4.6.3f1 (with il2cpp compiler), this didn't happen before with unity 4.6.1.
    screenshot_crash.png

34. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Guys are you working on performance fixes?, right now I cannot tell if performance issues are related to use of il2cpp or metal support, on iphone 6 the smoothness of game play is not great (not taking into dynamic text issues) for fast pace games. Not posted any bug reports as not seen anyone mention anything yet. Using built 4.6.3p2

35. EddieCam

EddieCam

Sorry, I meant 4.6.2. Been getting reports since I first sent IL2CPP builds out, though I only saw the crash from 4.6.3p2.
    I just double checked with a mono build, and I'm not getting any crashes.

36. GuillaumeZAHRA

GuillaumeZAHRA

Hi Unity Team !

PlayerIO Backend is not working perfectly with IL2CPP.
    I have opened a ticket with all information and a repro-project !

Ticket 678318

Thanks in advance !

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  37. midworld

midworld

I'm using Unity4.6.3p1. It said JsonFX is working now but it's not. And very very many problems are there.
    Is Unity some kind of free engine? What are you doing guys? We can not open our game because of you.
    Here is the log:
    2015-03-08 14:37:20.837 ProductName[8335:6817499] -> registered mono modules 0x101089060
    -> applicationDidFinishLaunching()
    -> applicationDidBecomeActive()
    Requesting Resolution: 750x1334
    Init: screen size 750x1334
    Initializing Metal device caps
    Initialize engine version: 4.6.3f1 (4753d8b6ef2b)
    InvalidOperationException: Unable to create an array of type 'System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary<System.String,System.Object>'. IL2CPP needs to know about the array type at compile time, so please define a private static field like this:

private static System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary<System.String,System.Object>[] _unused;

in any MonoBehaviour class, and this exception should go away.
    at System.Array.CreateInstanceImpl (System.Type elementType, System.Int32[] lengths, System.Int32[] bounds) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at System.Array.CreateInstance (System.Type elementType, System.Int32[] lengths) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at System.Array.CreateInstance (System.Type elementType, Int32 length) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at System.Collections.ArrayList.ToArray (System.Type type) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at JsonFx.Json.JsonIgnoreAttribute..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at JsonFx.Json.JsonReader.ReadArray (System.Type arrayType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at JsonFx.Json.JsonReader.Read (System.Type expectedType, Boolean typeIsHint) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at JsonFx.Json.JsonReader.ReadObject (System.Type objectType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at JsonFx.Json.JsonReader.Read (System.Type expectedType, Boolean typeIsHint) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at JsonFx.Json.JsonReader.ReadObject (System.Type objectType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at JsonFx.Json.JsonReader.Deserialize (Int32 start, System.Type type) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at JsonFx.Json.JsonReader.Deserialize (System.String value, Int32 start, System.Type type) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at JsonFx.Json.JsonReader.Deserialize (System.String value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at DLTest.OnGUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Replacements.MSCompatUnicodeTable.get_IsReady () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    Replacements.MSCompatUnicodeTable:get_IsReady()

(Filename: currently not available on il2cpp Line: 4294967295)

38. Gonggames_KYJ

Gonggames_KYJ

After I upgraded unity from 4.6.2 to 4.6.3 p1
    Building project always crashes when unity try to build additional resources

when I remove all resources in 'Resources' directory...building project was successful..
    but i cant find any problems in resource data..

It was completely fine when I use 4.6.2.. any ideas?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  39. jeremyburgesspp

jeremyburgesspp

Hi guys,

We've encountered a problem with IL2CPP and the new Amazon SDK for Mobile (Unity) & Mobile Analytics (http://docs.aws.amazon.com/mobile/sdkforunity/developerguide/).

Basically we now encounter an InvalidSignatureException when analytics are submitted to AWS where under the Mono runtime everything was OK. My best guess is that there's something malfunctioning with the HMAC-SHA256 algorithm being used to sign the request for Amazon V4 Signing (http://docs.aws.amazon.com/general/latest/gr/sigv4-calculate-signature.html). If you want to see the code in question which invokes the hasher, it can be found at this link: https://github.com/aws/aws-sdk-unit...re/Amazon.Runtime/Internal/Auth/AWS4Signer.cs.

I guess the issue in question could be related to the fact that it's a KeyedHashAlgorithm rather than a straight HashAlgorithm? Or vice versa? The code uses both!

I should note that I'm testing this with Unity 4.6.3p2 - uses of other hashing algorithms such as HMAC SHA1 in our own code work fine (they did not in 4.6.3f1).

A few questions:
    • Are you aware of any pending issues here?
    • Do you know if they're fixed in p3?
    • Is p3 coming soon?
    Edit: Probably also worth noting that the Hashers in question are created in the following ways:
    - _hashAlgorithm = HashAlgorithm.Create("SHA-256");
    - KeyedHashAlgorithm algorithm = KeyedHashAlgorithm.Create(algorithmName.ToString().ToUpper(CultureInfo.InvariantCulture));
    And the signing is done as follows:
    - _hashAlgorithm.ComputeHash(data);
    - algorithm.Key = key;
    byte[] bytes = algorithm.ComputeHash(data);
    returnbytes;
    In the file - https://github.com/aws/aws-sdk-unit...nitySDK/AWSCore/Amazon.Util/CryptoUtil.bcl.cs

Cheers,
    Jeremy

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  40. Lars-Blaabjerg

Lars-Blaabjerg

I did actually report this issue. It's case 675990. I also posted it in this thread.

41. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@MrEsquire

We don't have any known performance problems related to IL2CPP specifically. Everything we have seen from internal benchmarks and external reports indicates that the run-time performance using the IL2CPP backend is significantly better than using the Mono backend.

However, it is possible that you have found a case that we have not seen yet.

You may be able to narrow down the cause by looking at a few variations of Mono/IL2CPP and Metal/Non-metal rendering to help find a more specific cause.

42. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@Paam

Thanks for the bug report, we appreciate it! We will investigate.

43. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@midworld

We are currently working on support for creation of generic types are run-time, which JsonFx uses. We don't have it ready yet though.

However, you can likely work around this problem by following the instructions in the exception message. Can you attempt to define this private field in a class derived from MonoBehaviour?

private static System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary<System.String,System.Object>[] _unused;

This should let the AOT compiler see the type, and then MakeGenericType should be able to create it. Note that you might need to do this for a few different types. Once we know about all of the types ahead of time, JsonFX should work well.

Please let me know if you run into other errors though. Thanks.

44. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@jeremyburgesspp

Thanks for reporting this issue. We are not aware of any pending issues related to hashing algorithms after we corrected a number in the 4.6.3p1 release. Could you please submit a bug on this issue and respond here mentioning the bug number? That will allow us to feedback to you when the bug is corrected.

We plan to have 4.6.3p3 available near the end of this week (as always, the release could slip though). I doubt that this will be corrected in 4.6.3p3, unless we happen to fix it as part of another bug fix.

45. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@Lars Blaabjerg

Thanks for pointing this out. I missed this bug when I searched our system. It is in our queue to investigate though. Thanks again.

46. Lars-Blaabjerg

Lars-Blaabjerg

I actually just got around to checking this case with 4.6.3p2. My repro example works with that version.

47. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Thanks Lars! I was pretty sure you had reported it after we had discussed it before.

48. yiwunn

yiwunn

5.x version came out, whether it will continue to upgrade version 4.x?

49. mastermachines1

mastermachines1

Yes, they will continue to support 4.6.x for il2cpp.

50. dazc64

dazc64

Having some issues with SslStreams/TcpClient on 4.6.3p2 when using IL2CPP

Code (CSharp):
    2. Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.TlsException: Couldnt complete EndRead
    3.   at Mono.Math.BigInteger+Kernel.Multiply (System.UInt32[] x, UInt32 xOffset, UInt32 xLen, System.UInt32[] y, UInt32 yOffset, UInt32 yLen, System.UInt32[] d, UInt32 dOffset) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    4.   at Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.SslStreamBase.EndRead (IAsyncResult asyncResult) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    5.   at Mono.Globalization.Unicode.SimpleCollator+Context..ctor (CompareOptions opt, System.Byte* alwaysMatchFlags, System.Byte* neverMatchFlags, System.Byte* buffer1, System.Byte* buffer2, System.Byte* prev1, Boolean quickCheckPossible) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    6.   at System.Net.Security.SslStream.EndAuthenticateAsClient (IAsyncResult asyncResult) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    7.   at Mono.Globalization.Unicode.SimpleCollator+Context..ctor (CompareOptions opt, System.Byte* alwaysMatchFlags, System.Byte* neverMatchFlags, System.Byte* buffer1, System.Byte* buffer2, System.Byte* prev1, Boolean quickCheckPossible) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    8.   at System.Net.Security.SslStream.AuthenticateAsClient (System.String targetHost, System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates.X509CertificateCollection clientCertificates, SslProtocols sslProtocolType, Boolean checkCertificateRevocation) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    9.   at System.Net.FtpStatus.get_StatusDescription () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    10.   at System.Net.Security.SslStream.AuthenticateAsClient (System.String targetHost) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    11.   at EveryplayAnimatedThumbnail+<CrossfadeTransition>c__IteratorA.Reset () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    12.   at HTTP.Request.<Send>m__29 (System.Object t) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    13.   at Replacements.RemotingServices.CreateClientProxy (System.Type objectType, System.String url, System.Object[] activationAttributes) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0