Search Unity

4.6 iOS 64-bit beta

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by jonas-echterhoff, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Check your project for Newtonsoft.Json.Dll. Looks to me like one of your 3rd party assets / plugins might be using the official Newtonsoft release which isn't going to work with WebGL. Specifically look at Kiloo (whatever that is), as it looks like it is using Json.Net to serialize Web requests.

2. Lars-Blaabjerg

Lars-Blaabjerg

The http request code is written by me and does not serialize anything using json.

I AM using the Newtonsoft json serializer though. But the adapted one from the asset store. Serialization happens BEFORE the http request code is called. It shouldn't be in this stack trace. And btw it works fine :) (Edit: just realized, that's your work)

WebGL?

BTW. Kiloo is my company, so that is not suspicious. Any line that has Kiloo in the namespace is my code.

3. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Yep, it's my work. :) I wanted to make sure you weren't planning to use WebGL, but if you're already using my asset you should be fine. Could you do me a favor? There is a readme.txt file in the JsonDotNet folder that has my email address in it. Could you shoot me the stack trace? I have a feeling that the stack trace is just out of order for some reason, but this looks like the error is being thrown in my asset. There are still a lot of IL2CPP issues that are causing problems with deserialization on 64-bit iOS. Unity have been fixing them pretty quickly (some of them aren't bugs but just features that are not yet completely supported such as MakeGenericType<T>).

Also, could you email me the code you're using for serialization? I want try to figure out exactly where the Schema bits are being used so I can try to trace down exactly what's causing the problem and I may be able to put in a workaround (best case) if the problem is with serialization.

4. Lars-Blaabjerg

Lars-Blaabjerg

As I am saying. Even though it looks like it from the trace, json serialization is NOT part of that call.... like at all.

I mean. How would json serialization call my code? How would it know about it?

5. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

You're correct, and I don't think it's the cause of the problem. Don't be alarmed to see that call or the Level2Map call though... the actually web request is an async call, so there is other code that is happening at the same time. This is why you see the Json .NET call and the Level2Map call... they are actually happening in parallel by some other process at the same time. I'm not sure why they are showing up in that stack trace... I think the stack trace is incorrect... it is showing method calls that are happening on a separate thread.

6. Lars-Blaabjerg

Lars-Blaabjerg

I'm not so sure in this case. It's not like I have a lot of threads I don't know what going on in. In this example I'm very sure that the main thread was doing nothing but waiting for the response. But threading still might have something to with it.

Also, it is reproducible with the exact same stack trace.

7. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

I wanted to provide a brief update about our plans for upcoming releases related to IL2CPP.

Following our normal release schedule, we're expecting to have 4.6.3 available near the end of this week. We have decided to include all of the IL2CPP bug fixes and improvements that we have internally in the 4.6.3 release. This is not our normal procedure, as a dot-release usually only contains the previous patch releases rolled together. However, given the number of bugs we have fixed with IL2CPP, and the need many of you have for fixes, we did not want to delay them.

I won't mention all of the fixes in 4.6.3 here (they will be in the release notes), but I do want to highlight a few that will likely have a positive impact on many projects:
    • Support for WebRequest
    • Support for ThreadPool
    • Support for p/invoke in dynamic libraries, like sqlite3
    • Better support for the Parse SDK (although we still have a few outstanding bugs to fix)
    Note that with this new working code, we will likely see new bugs in code paths that were previously blocked, so please continue to submit bugs as you find them.

As we correct bugs, we've been trying to respond to the submitter with details. If you have submitted a bug and we have not responded, then it might be that we just have not seen your bug report yet, but we may have corrected the bug based on a different report. So I would encourage everyone who is blocked to try 4.6.3 when it is ready, and ping us via your existing bug report if the bug is not corrected.

We are expecting 4.6.3p1 to be ready the end of the next week, with another round of fixes.

As always, these releases can slip if our QA team feels they are not ready, but we're hoping to hits the dates.

On a personal note, I want to extend my sincere thanks to everyone in the community here. This is my first interaction as a developer with a community of users like this. You have been incredible by providing feedback and help us work through problems. We will continue to push for more bug fixes and stability, so keep the bug reports coming in!

8. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@Lars Blaabjerg

Have you submitted a bug yet on the SslStream problem? I just searched out bug repository, and I don't see one, but I might be missing something. If you have not submitted one, can you do so please? This problem may have been corrected with the changes for WebRequest and asynchronous IO that we have coming in 4.6.3, but we can't be sure. Thanks.

9. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

@lars:

which Unity version are you on? Did you try checking the stacktrace in xcode debugger, to see whether it's off as well?

10. sharkyx

sharkyx

Any updates on fixing the SLINQ template recursion problem? I thought it would be fixed with p2 but it isn't.

In any case, I created a bug report with a project for that: case number 673014

11. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

We reduced the depth at which IL2CPP will inflate generic types, but the core of the problem was not addressed just yet. With the fix, previous bug that was reported for Smooth plugin was solved, however, I suppose it highly depends on its usage. We're working hard on solving this, as part of runtime generated generics, but it's not done in 4.6.2p2.

12. Lars-Blaabjerg

Lars-Blaabjerg

Hmm, I assumed, maybe incorrectly, that this was the sockets problem that has been mentioned earlier in this thread... Feel kind of stupid now for not making sure and not reporting It myself.
    I am off work now, but I will be sure to make a report tommorrow with an example to back it up.

13. Ajr_1

Ajr_1

@JoshPeterson
    Have done - case 673033.

14. cojo71

cojo71

Thanks for this update - either now or when the time comes, can you provide a specific list of the known outstanding bugs with Parse so that we can plan accordingly / don't re-submit things you already know about?

15. ArjunN

ArjunN

@JoshPeterson, Thanks for the update on the IL2CPP schedule and also to the Unity team for their efforts in getting the bugs resolved in quick time!

16. Lotti

Lotti

Have you found any solution? Actually i've to work on another project.. i can't spend time on IL2CPP bugs and i need to deploy the game on the app store :\

17. Ajr_1

Ajr_1

No, not had any luck fixing it yet. Will let you know if I do.

18. BestHTTP

BestHTTP

First of all, thank you for the update.

Is this WebRequest support includes Socket support too?

19. Lars-Blaabjerg

Lars-Blaabjerg

I have now submitted a proper bug report. The case number is 673233.
    Good luck :)

20. Lars-Blaabjerg

Lars-Blaabjerg

I have also submitted a bug report on the stack trace corruption thing. Case number is 673249

21. GabrieleUnity

GabrieleUnity

Unity Technologies

Yes, Sockets should work fine now. After you try with the new build, which is going to be released in the following few days, if you have any issue please report a bug as usual and we are going to fix it ASAP ;)

ZimM, Lars-Blaabjerg and BestHTTP like this.
  22. texdata

texdata

il2cpp ThreadPool still not ok. it stalls everything. :( app works but everything associated with thread pool stalls

23. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@texdata

Improvements to our ThreadPool implementation will be out in 4.6.3. Can you try again in 4.6.3 and report bugs you find against that version? Thanks.

24. texdata

texdata

25. SirIntruder

SirIntruder

Is there a chance these thread/socket fixes will apply to the next WebGL release?

26. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@SirIntruder

Unfortunately no, thread and socket support is not available in WebGL. Browsers support neither from JavaScript, so until (or if) they do, the WebGL platform is the limitation here, not IL2CPP.

27. Lucas-Meijer

Lucas-Meijer

Unity Technologies

Thanks to many of you in this thread, 4.6.3 is out with a ton of fixes for problems reported here:
    http://blogs.unity3d.com/2015/02/19...ndering-support-and-update-of-il2cpp-for-ios/

Thanks for the reports, keep 'm coming should you run into any problem!

IL2CPP relevant releasenotes:
    IOS 64 BIT / IL2CPP FIXES
    A whole bunch of fixes were done for initial iOS 64 bit support (released in 4.6.2):

• Break IL instruction is now a no-op instead of a crash.
    • Don't allow to select ARM64 architecture when using Mono scripting backend.
    • Don't include .NET metadata into the binary.
    • Ensure that the HideInInspector and ResourceRequest types are not stripped so they can be used if necessary.
    • Fixed an issue with Socket.Poll, where socket instances where not removed from the list if inactive.
    • Fixed Application.RequestUserAuthorization not working.
    • Fixed a problem with generic classes where the generic type argument lives in a different assembly from the type definition.
    • Fixed array of interfaces also being marked as interfaces.
    • Fixed Attribute.GetCustomAttribute crash.
    • Fixed C++ compile error for marshaled types.
    • Fixed C++ compile error for methods with two or more generic arguments of the same type.
    • Fixed C++ compile error when there's a struct array field in a marshalable struct that is marshaled as ByValArray.
    • Fixed C++ compile error when using Interlocked.CompareExchange/Exchange with null.
    • Fixed code generation for arrays of System.IntPtr, as well as IntPtr passed by reference.
    • Fixed code generation for generic methods with generic instance type constraints.
    • Fixed code generation for leave instructions jumping out of multiple exception handlers; fixes crash in Parse libraries.
    • Fixed code generation for unsafe structs with fixed fields.
    • Fixed crash in some cases when using ILeaderboard.
    • Fixed crash when calling GetCustomAttributes() and one of the methods happened to have a [DllImport] attribute.
    • Fixed CustomAttributes on constructors and method parameters.
    • Fixed deserialization of Dictionary<string,string>.
    • Fixed Enum.IsDefined.
    • Fixed incorrect stripping in some cases when inheriting classes with interfaces.
    • Fixed issue with two dimensional arrays.
    • Fixed lock statement code generation when wrapping a try/catch statement.
    • Fixed memory corruption when using AssemblyName.
    • Fixed MethodInfo.ReturnParameter.
    • Fixed multiple Cryprography library issues.
    • Fixed RakNet being unavailable on IL2CPP, causing linker errors.
    • Fixed some race conditions in the low level threading primitives.
    • Fixed Type.GetNestedTypes() crash.
    • Fixed unsigned storage types for CustomAttributes.
    • Get the correct method to invoke via a delegate that points to an interface method.
    • Handle LdToken IL instruction correctly.
    • Handle non-ASCII characters in names.
    • Implemented dynamic library loading.
    • Implemented FieldInfo.GetRawConstantValue.
    • Implemented marshaling of fixed size strings as fields of structs and classes.
    • Implemented support for StructLayout and FieldOffset attributes in managed code, when not using for PInvoke.
    • iOS Internal profiler is now working on IL2CPP.
    • Make JsonFX library work with stripping.
    • Make reflection on constant fields work (with the exception of string, for which support is pending).
    • Never use microcorlib for iOS/IL2CPP.
    • Nullable now works correctly when being cast to/from object or T.
    • Prevented a duplicate symbol linker error for projects that use zlib in a static library by renaming the zlib symbols exported from the iOS/IL2CPP version of zlib.
    • Prevent the error "Cannot get stack type for Item" when "Item" is a type nested in a generic type.
    • Reduced the maximum depth to which IL2CPP tries to inflate generics. This fixed an issue which caused IL2CPP to never finish on certain C# patterns.
    • Runtime now attaches to native thread automatically if it's being called into from native code through reverse P/Invoke.
    • Support attributes that have arrays of System.Type arguments.
    and:

• iOS/IL2CPP: Added support for async delegates (BeginInvoke/EndInvoke).
    • iOS/IL2CPP: Disabled Script Debugging option when building iOS projects with IL2CPP scripting backend.
    • iOS/IL2CPP: Implemented .NET classes: for ThreadPool, Asynchronous Sockets, WebRequest.
    • iOS/IL2CPP: Optimize methods that use string literals and memory used for string literals.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  28. JJC1138

JJC1138

Hi. Thanks again for all your hard work. Most of my bugs are fixed in 4.6.3f1, but receiving RPCs is still broken (case 670887). I can't work around that one so it's a showstopper for me.

29. Namal

Namal

Hi,
    A bug I had to track/fix in previous version, doesn't seem to be fixed in 4.6.3 :

C# code :
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     uint test = 100;
    2.     float test2 = 10.0f;
    3.     Debug.Log ( "-(2* " + test + ") + " + test2 + " =? " + ( -(2*test) + test2) );
    will output on iPhone 6 :
    -(2* 100) + 10 =? 1.844674E+19

Culprit seems to be in the series of casts that happen in C++ code (it seems there is one lacking before applying the minus operator), code was edited for shortness
    Code (CSharp):
    2.        uint32_t V_1 = ((int32_t)100);
    3.        float V_2 = (10.0f);
    4.        float L_40 = ((float)((((float)((-(((uint64_t)(((uint32_t)((int32_t)(2*V_1))))))))))+V_2));
    Of course forcing the cast in C#, or multiplying by 2.0f instead of 2 will solve the case, but that may lead to a nightmare in debug over existing code that is working outside il2cpp ...

Cheers,
    Philippe

30. RalphH

RalphH

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the test, I'll have a look.

31. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

Just tried building with 4.6.3 and it fails the build with the humble comment:
    I submitted a bug: 673787

32. iTris666

iTris666

Hi, I've just downloaded Unity 4.6.3 and tested our project which uses unity network RPCs. I generated a universal xcode with il2cpp.

The client connects to the server but the first RPC call ( from client to server )displays :
    "Internal RPC error. Invalid RPC index, function not registered."

I've tested with the same result:
    Unity Editor <-> Unity iOS 64 bits
    Unity iOS 32 bits <-> Unity iOS 64 bits
    Unity iOS 32 bits <-> Unity iOS 32 bits

the first RPC signature is :
    [RPC]
    void RegisterPlayer(int localID, string name, NetworkMessageInfo info)

Should RPC work in 4.6.3? Should I try to reproduce the bug in a smaller project so I can file a bug ?

Thanks.

33. JJC1138

JJC1138

I have the same problem and it seems to happen with any RPC at all. I've filed a bug with a minimal test project.

34. iTris666

iTris666

Thanks for saving me the trouble, it is also good to know we're not the only ones using unity network on iOS ;)

JJC1138 likes this.
  35. Alkimio

Alkimio

@RalphH @Lucas Meijer @JoshPeterson

Hey Guys,
    Building with 4.6.3 today brings a new problem (now on unity generating IL2CPP Xcode project), before it didn't work during runtime.

Code (CSharp):
    1. IL2CPP error for type 'Community.CsharpSqlite.SQLiteClient.SqliteConnectionStringBuilder' in assembly '/Users/damiantrimboli/Documents/Projects/vostu/mfm 4.5.5/dev/client/Temp/StagingArea/Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp.dll'
    2. Additional information: Build a development build for more information. Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    (Building a development build doesn't bring more information).

Here's a look to the class failing:

https://code.google.com/r/stewartad...cs?r=627a562b6da95083d2c9d7a8b2daf8414f71b50b

36. mhalttu

mhalttu

When using IL2CPP, the compilation gets stuck at the end and Unity consumes 100% of CPU forever. The message in the progress bar is “Executing prime[31] post processor”.

The editor log says:

Code (CSharp):
    1. /Users/mhalttu/Desktop/TestBuild/Unity-iPhone.xcodeproj/project.pbxproj: Property List error: Unexpected character / at line 1 / JSON error: JSON text did not start with array or object and option to allow fragments not set.
    2. UnityEngine.Debug:Internal_Log(Int32, String, Object)
    3. UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    4. Prime31Editor.MenuItem:runLegacyPostProcessor(BuildTarget, String)
    5. Prime31Editor.MenuItem:eek:nPostProcessBuildPlayer(BuildTarget, String)
    6. UnityEditor.BuildPipeline:BuildPlayerInternalNoCheck(String[], String, BuildTarget, BuildOptions, Boolean, UInt32&)
    7. UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow:BuildPlayerWithDefaultSettings(Boolean, BuildOptions, Boolean)
    8. UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow:BuildPlayerWithDefaultSettings(Boolean, BuildOptions)
    9. UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow:GUIBuildButtons(Boolean, Boolean, Boolean, BuildPlatform)
    10. UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow:ShowBuildTargetSettings()
    11. UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow:OnGUI()
    12. System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke(Object, Object[], Exception&)
    13. System.Reflection.MonoMethod:Invoke(Object, BindingFlags, Binder, Object[], CultureInfo) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    14. System.Reflection.MethodBase:Invoke(Object, Object[]) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    15. UnityEditor.HostView:Invoke(String, Object)
    16. UnityEditor.HostView:Invoke(String)
    17. UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()
    18. (Filename: /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs Line: 222)
    The generated project.pbxproj file starts with the following lines:

Code (CSharp):
    1. // !$*UTF8*$!
    2. {
    3.         archiveVersion = 1;
    4.         classes = {
    5.         };
    6.         objectVersion = 46;
    Please advice.

37. EddieCam

EddieCam

Just tested with 4.6.3. Still getting the same crash when using Parse, and the same compile error from dup int definitions.
    #671630 & #671616

38. charmandermon

charmandermon

Screen Shot 2015-02-19 at 1.36.27 PM.png
    I have a new problem after building the project with 4.6.3, App loads, I then press a button in the scene to load another level and it crashes with this error that I am not sure how to debug.

Also you guys should already have my example project to test this.

39. cojo71

cojo71

Hi guys,
    Thanks for the work so far - unfortunately while Parse no longer hard-crashes the app, it is still completely non-functional (can't even get through ParseFacebookUtils.LogInAsync):
    You should be able to use my existing bug project submitted w/ ticket 670080 to reproduce.

Also, a new major bug has been introduced in your codegen of mscorlib's System.IO.BinaryReader::ReadUInt32() - the function with this signature:
    Uses improper casting in its return line:
    Not only are the (uint8_t) casts of the three higher bytes unnecessary, but they actually break BinaryReader::ReadUInt32 since the higher bytes are zero'd out and only the lowest byte is correct.

An example of how this breaks is in the ExcelDataReader C# project, which expects to eventually load this:
    Instead, it enters an infinite loop when the uints it reads wrap around from 255 back to 0, hemhorraging memory until the app exhausts the device and is killed by the OS. I imagine other projects / dependencies will be affected as well.

I have verified that removing the casts and using this line instead in the C++ allows our project to run fine (other than the aforementioned Parse issue):

40. maxthecat

maxthecat

Updated to latest 4.6.3

ILCPP works fine in Debug, but keep getting NullReferenceExeception in Release. If I turn optimizations off in Release it works fine.

I've submitted bug Case 673834

Thanks

41. Nadan

Nadan

Hi!

The problems I mentioned with the SQLite in this thread are now working with the 4.6.3.Thank you for the fast fix! You are the best.

But I have a new problem now.. In all of my games I have used "Server Side Highscores" explaind here:

http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=Server_Side_Highscores#JavaScript_-_HSController.js

Now with the latest the 4.6.3 version the highscores are not working anymore. I released 64bit version of one of my games with the previous 4.6.2. version in the AppStore and everything was ok, but not anymore with 4.6.3. I can see in my server logs that nothing is been send from the game to the server when I test the game with my iPad.

42. ArcticHorse

ArcticHorse

I rebuilt my project to try to get the file size down and with smaller levels that I was hoping would load more easily and just now I tried to build it and run it on my device--trying to run it on a 32 bit device--using 6.2 and mono--not even IL2CPP and I lost the connection to my device and I don't see how I can restore it in Xcode. It will play for awhile and then it just closes down.

This is getting very frustrating.

43. Lars-Blaabjerg

Lars-Blaabjerg

Thanks for the new version. My problem with SslStream has changed a bit. Now it fails a bit further down the road with a System.Net.Security.SslStream.AuthenticateAsClient throws System.IO.IOException: The authentication or decryption has failed. ---> System.NotSupportedException: Unsupported security protocol type.

Of course only with IL2CPP.

I filed a new bug report since the nature of the error has changed (Case 673970)

44. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@Alkimio

Nothing in the source code for this class jumps out at me as problematic. Can you please submit a bug with a project that causes this issue? Since this looks like a regression in behavior from 4.6.2p2, we would like to get this fixed quickly. Thanks.

45. arkon

arkon

I think you should know Unity 4.6.3 isn't working with either SecuredPlayerPrefs or Anti Cheat Toolkit, both on the asset store. SecuredPlayerPrefs gives this output at Xcode compile (IL2CPP):- (the error isn't anything to do with EchoPoolManager, the error just throws that one up too)

Replacements.MSCompatUnicodeTable:get_IsReady()

(Filename: /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/iPhonePlayer-armv7-il2cppGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

NullReferenceException: A null value was found where an object instance was required.

at EchoPoolManager.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at SecuredPlayerPrefs.SetBool (System.String key, Boolean newValue) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at test.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Replacements.MSCompatUnicodeTable.get_IsReady () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Replacements.MSCompatUnicodeTable:get_IsReady()

(Filename: currently not available on il2cpp Line: -1)

46. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@mhalttu

My best advice is to submit a bug so that we can have a look. This is not something that we have seen before. In addition, you may want to ask about this via Prime31 support.

47. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@EddieCam

Thanks for mentioning this, we will investigate these bugs.

48. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@charmandermon

Could you please submit a new bug for this issue so that we can track it? There is no need to upload the project again, just mention the bug number where you previously uploaded the project, and we will grab the project from it. Thanks!

49. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@maxthecat

Thanks for reporting this, we will have a look at it.

50. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@Lars Blaabjerg

Thanks, we will have a look at this.

unityunity