Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

4.5 Release

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Aurore, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

That's not a bug, it's the way it's always worked. Why don't you just turn on "always show project wizard" in the preferences?

--Eric

2. arkon

arkon

Well it doesn't do that when I swap between Unity3 and 4. 3 remembers it's project and 4 remembers its own.

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Yes, since Unity 4 has a different project format. The last-used project from any Unity 4.x version will be automatically loaded when you use any version of Unity 4, unless you turn the project wizard on. Same for Unity 3.x and earlier. Only the 3.5 -> 4.0 upgrade switched to a different set of editor prefs; they are otherwise always shared.

--Eric

4. Yukichu

Yukichu

I posted this in another thread but had no reply. Tried PMing a few devs, no reply. So... is the new 2D Collider 'rotatability' a feature or a bug?

When you rotate a gameobject on X/Y axis with a Collider2D attached, the collider will now 'rotate' however since it only exists on the Z plane and can't actually rotate in 3D, it changes its shape to accomodate. At 90 degrees X or Y, it effectively is not there. This is new behavior with Unity 4.5.

Knowing if I need rework everything or not would be nice, because I surely do not want to rework a bunch of stuff only to have to undo it after a patch is released. I don't know if I should put in a bug report because I don't know if it's a bug. Just need to know if this is the new standard or not.

5. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Well, I will complain about one thing: How come GrabPass is enabled in the editor? This is VERY MISLEADING as GrabPass is pro-only, am i right? (or did you guys add it in... :/)

6. Ricks

Ricks

Unity 4.5 ...

It feels somehow cleaner and more performant than my previously installed 4.2 (aside from the hierarchy order issue), so it was well worth the upgrade :)

7. Waz

Waz

Please try a few things like Duplicate (adds item to end not below original), applying changed prefabs (reorders some way I don't understand), and any other places where your code adds or removes children in the Transform, to make sure they all make sense now that the order is meaningful. It currently looks like it is entirely tuned for what the new GUI needs and not tested for general use.

8. SL_RU

SL_RU

I've got bug.
    Asset store is not loading at all. When I open it from menu or redirecting to store from web opening just gray window/

9. Dantus

Dantus

To everyone who finds bugs, please don't report them. In the worst case, Unity is going to resolve them!
    [/sarcasm]

10. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Well, Somehow the grabpass prob fixed itself, but it's still something you guys should look into. I actually thought UT weaved more magic... :(

11. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

All I wish to know is why issues that are marked as FIXED still exist in 4.5?
    I also have mixed feelings about demands for Repos/Demos/Projects for the smallest bug.

12. Dantus

Dantus

Unity has besides the "Fixed" a "Fixed in a future release". Unfortunately they aren't using it consequently yet. But keep in mind that the issue tracker is still pretty new.

The smallest bugs can also have various causes. If it is such a small bug, it doesn't take a lot of time to create a reproduction. On the other hand if you try to reproduce a bug, it is pretty complex to do it based on a description. If you are able to open a reproduction and you see more or less directly the issue, it makes it directly clear. Those kinds of bugs can be caused by project settings or any other settings. If you submit a reproduction, it is usually directly clear.

pumpkinszwan likes this.
  13. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Cool, nice reply - but now my worry is how many user issues Unity receives each day, these being issues where users don't know how to setup project or do false bug reports because they cannot debug or poor code. I really hope this is not killing time from actual real bug fixing work.

14. Dantus

Dantus

According to an official Unity blog post, the overall quality of the reports is not that high. Having an actual reproduction allows the to decide faster whether something is a bug or not. It means for Unity, they can handle more bugs. They have a team that is responsible to check the bug reports and only forwards them to the developers if they are able to reproduce them, maybe in some other cases too. No time is lost on actual bug fixing and especially you don't waste your time with back and forth emails, because they are not able to reproduce the bug.

15. goat

goat

Well Unity 4.5 contrary to some reports isn't faster than Unity 4.3.4p7 and seeing how a better is mostly thought of as a subjective measure with the long list of bug fixes I think it qualifies as objectively better although the slow down in speed is spoiling most of that.

So Unity 4.5 is better bug wise. Unity 4.5 is slower. Those are objective measures.

Oh, I just see Unity 4.5.1f1 is out. Hope it fixes os X Lion 10.7.5 and Unity crawling with UMA Asset.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  16. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  17. goat

goat

OK, just downloaded as tested Unity 4.5.1f2 on osX Lion 10.7.5 and it's a slow as before. UMA 1.1 with one generated avatar drops from 55 FPS to 27 FPS and when I change it to 4x4 (16) random avatars it drops from 55 FPS to 2.5 FPS.

The rendering of textures now looks awful!

It seems as if important functionality has been removed from Free in order to make Pro more desirable but it has the effect of making Pro less desirable.

I remember my computer graphics professor making us write everything at a low level to build up a computer graphics library by the end of the semester by creating our our data structures and using XDrawPoint to render when of course we could have used the higher level X System graphics calls but we wouldn't have learned the low level things. Of course, Unity doesn't have this problem, it makes the promise we don't have to learn this type of arcana but Unity Free 4.5.1f2 is comparing comparatively analogically worse than than old CS545G computer graphics course SW.

Like the phone company that I recently canceled service to for making be buy unlimited telephone service before I could buy internet (afraid of Skype I think) for $90 a month and then not even coming close to delivering internet at the mbps they promised, bad phone service, and selling my call activity to 3rd party telemarketers that cold call me despite me paying $3 a month extra for an unlisted phone number (can you tell I live in the USA with that last doozy?); I simply am paying $10 a month telephone and $15 a month 1.5 mbps internet ala cart and getting service at a level I was promised too.

Even the above doesn't explain all the slowness in Unity 4.5.x. It's like a new extremely verbose interpreter has replaced the old Unity Engine and doesn't even perform as well as the script code the Asset Store uses.

18. goat

goat

It's in the 'Announcements' in this Forum Section and reading the improvement list mostly about 2D getting botched up.

A lot more than 2D has been affected. Graphics rendering is atrociously slower now and looks worse in Free as if functionality has been removed.

They are depending on people have the latest Alienware Desktops and still be in denial about the graphics slowdown as many undoubtably do for this to fly.

19. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

They didn't remove anything from Free. If you have a repro case that shows undesirable behavior then you should submit it as a bug. Everything I tested is the same speed in 4.3 and 4.5. I don't have the latest Alienware desktop...even if I did, I can objectively see that the speed is the same for me.

--Eric

20. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Can you let us know what specifically you think has been removed, from the best of my knowledge, we haven't removed Free features to make them Pro.

21. Moonjump

Moonjump

I've just used the new scripting documentation that came at the same time as 4.5 for the first time. While there looks to be potential there, could we have Search back please. I use that all the time. I think I will need that even more now that there is all the nesting, and less space in the API window, and the API's are more spread out within that window.

The Switch To Manual option is nice, but Switch to Scripting didn't take me back to the same page I started (I rarely use GUI Texture now, but I am working on an old project and needed to check pixelInset. I did the swap and back and came to GUI Texture, not pixelInset).

22. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

It hasn't left.... (Plus all the sections are searchable now, not just scripting.)

--Eric

23. Moonjump

Moonjump

Sorry, I missed the search box in the new place. Assuming that the search box just searches scripting API, it isn't working for me at the moment. It just hangs.

24. goat

goat

Oh well. 4.5.1p1 still crawls on Windows 8.1 / os X Lion 10.7.5 and still unusable really on my Mac Mini. The slow down is ugh.

OK, I did a small check and it seems maybe the problem on the Mac Mini is Unity 4.5.1p1 uses the hardware accelerated driver which has 100% OpenGL 2.1 support but next to no openGL 3.x support.

+++++
    Intel GMA 950 OpenGL Engine
    OpenGL version 1.4 APPLE-7.4.1
    OpenCL 1.1 (2012.08.10)
    +++++

Did Unity 4.3.4.p7 use this Apple Software Renderer install which had much more openGL 3.x support (until 3.3 when it fails off the table)?

Apple Software Renderer
    OpenGL version: 2.1 Apple
    OpenCL platform: OpenCL 1.1 (2012.08.10)

Unfortunately the OpenGL Extension Viewer does not work on Windows 8.1 64 bit so I can't see what if Unity has the same choice between Intel HW Accelerated drivers and MS Software Renderer for openGL. Intel is turning out to be atrocious supporting their Graphics HW although I'm not sure if any of the OpenGL 3.x SW Rendering could be done in Intels HW Accelerated drivers.

Think maybe I'll buy a used Mac this winter.

+++++

Oh, second thought...

1) Trying to download assets is mostly failing on my MacMini but rarely fails on Windows
    2) On the MacMini often I get a 'Can't load offline asset store list' (or similar to that)
    3) Sometimes the UMA are still created as black silhouettes

These are not because of 'old hardware', these are bugs in Unity 4.5.x

++++++

4.5.1p1 is also often getting errors on asset package updates on Windows too, just not as consistently as on os X.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  25. andeeeee

andeeeee

The search system does work and as Eric said, it now searches either the manual or the script ref depending on which page you are currently viewing. As regards the search hanging when you attempt to use it, the reason is probably not that it has crashed but that it is slow. Currently, the online search box for the docs is using the same search system we have always used for the offline docs. This is based on JavaScript within the search page itself and so it could be slow (ie, ten seconds or more) on browsers that have poor JS performance in general.

For the online docs, a solution is simply to use the main search page:

http://unity3d.com/search

We will be changing the search box for the online docs to use this search page in the near future. However, the performance and functionality of the offline search are a concern to us and we are looking at other, better ways to implement it.

The Switch To Manual/Scripting links exist between the component pages and their equivalent class in the script ref. All properties and functions of the scripting page link to the same component page (ie, we don't have separate manual pages for each property and function like we do in the script ref). The page doesn't currently attempt to "remember" which property/function of the class you were on when you switched to the manual so switching from script ref to manual and back to script ref will always leave you on the page for the class itself.

We are aware that the separation between the script ref and manual is inconvenient and rather artificial - it is simply a consequence of the way the two sections have been generated in the past rather than any belief that this is a good way to organise the docs. It is on our roadmap to do away with the separation and get the manual and API pages integrated into a consistent format. With this in place, the whole problem of the "switch" links will no longer apply.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    Moonjump likes this.
  26. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

"Removed"
    Apparently i posted at the wrong thread, that's what i get for posting so late :p

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  27. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

Some preview of new up coming physics it is nice.

28. goat

goat

Your tests are woefully inadequate then or you are cherry picking. Saying you don't 'see' a slowdown is like telling a police officer you don't see the speed limit sign. It still doesn't change that you were driving too fast or to slow.

29. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

By "see" of course I mean by running benchmarks and using the profiler. I'm not just looking at the screen and saying "yarp, looks thuh same tuh me". Just because you may have a slowdown doesn't mean anybody else necessarily does. As I said, if you have a specific case where you have a performance degradation then submit it as a bug. The goal for every version has been to have the same speed or better.

--Eric

30. goat

goat

Yes, they would see the slow down if they were looking at the profiler because they'd see evidence of the API changes and the extra calls. So you haven't looked very hard at your profiler.

31. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Right, whatever you say. How silly of me, clearly 5ms in 4.5 is much slower than 5ms in 4.3. I see that now. :rolleyes:

--Eric

32. goat

goat

The guy hoping to be a Page Boy in Congress' misinformed opinion and eye rolling aside; I have and have submitted empirical evidence and will let them deal with it.

33. pKallv

pKallv

I have just upgraded and have a question regarding putting 2D prefabs/sprites on the scene in the editor. If i remember correctly in the previous release it was possible to put a prefab on to the scene manually and place it and move it, which is not possible now.

Is this something that have changed or is it me who do not remember correctly? ...when manually placing 2D object on the scene it is a bit complicated to place it with x & y rather than with the mouse when prototyping.

34. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

I don't know what you mean; I don't see anything that changed in regards to putting objects in the scene and moving them with the mouse.

--Eric

35. pKallv

pKallv

Uhhh you are so right, I am such an idiot. I changed the layout and was looking at the game board and not the scene :-(

36. goat

goat

look at West's Scatter or FreckleBits for more practical help placing objects. Costs nominal fee.

37. mrgohut

mrgohut

So is there something new for unity free or only for unity pro ?

38. andymads

andymads

Just updated from 4.3.4 to 4.5.1 today and ran into some bugs that seemed to be related to prefabs in the hierarchy.

Have been able to create basic reproducible test projects and have submitted bug reports.

(1) GameObject.FindWithTag failing in some cases. (Case 615622)

(2) A transform's parent was null even though the transform did have a parent in the Hierarchy view. (Case 615654)

39. msbranin

msbranin

I have submitted a bug report with an example project but can anyone else confirm for me.. Create a sprite... Any sprite will do.. And change the pivot point to anything but center. Bottom left for example.. Now drop in the scene and try to use vertex snapping.. The snap point for some reason jumps down and left of the actual sprite as if the sprite was actually double size.. This happens with all versions of 4.5 but works like normal in 4.3. It makes vertex snapping useless and building tiled levels a complete pain in the.. Oh look a butterfly

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  40. schmosef

schmosef

Thanks, this solved a problem for me.

alternativevisual likes this.
  41. Ravel

Ravel

The 4.3 version I previously had was nice. But this 4.5 version has basically very buggy visuals out of the box. All textures are compressed to ugly 16bit. Soft shadows dont work.

Gfx card is Nvidia 520mx.

Imo, dont upgrade to 4.5

Attached Files:

42. Dantus

Dantus

Did you submit a bug report? Don't forget to post the case number if someone from Unity passes by.

43. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Ravel: check if Graphics Emulation was turned on by default: that's what it looks like from the screenshot anyway. it's what is mean't to look like low-end mobile visuals. BTW, I still have original 4.5 release, and it works a charm on my school lappy. (which is actually crap, compared to your rig... ;))

BTW, check your drivers also: a driver bug could do this to you! :) and also, where did you get the nice skybox? :D

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  44. Ravel

Ravel

@FuzzyGuills thanks for the heads up! Just found out that I had the OpenGL ES 2.0 emulation on. And my rig is about 3 years old now, so it aint the best hopper, but it does its job. The skybox is a recapture from a spherical skybox. The sky itself is from http://www.cgskies.com/skies.php ;)

45. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Ravel: LOL, you put the G instead of the Q! Anyway... nice to hear I was of help! :)

BTW, thanks for the link! Most of my skies are patch-ups of photos I took, pretty... but too symmetrical for my liking! ;)

46. malteloris

malteloris

Great work guys, thanks for all your hard work!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.