Search Unity

4.5 Release

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Aurore, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -chris

-chris

Switch to Sublime Text, no more sluggish lag! And errors jump to the correct files and lines :D
    Quite a few packages/plugins you can add to Sublime as well that help out with Unity code.
    I haven't touched MonoDevelop in ages, Sublime is just that much faster.

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

oh... that really is sublime! If you don't mind me asking, did u use a package to get it to jump to the correct line for errors?

3. Hicsy

Hicsy

!!!404 error!!! when trying to Download Windows version from Australia (Brisbane)

When I click your download link, and press "Download Unity 4.5", it auto directs to a 404 for the address:
    http://download.unity3d.com/download_unity/UnitySetup-4.5..exe
    note the extra dot

BTW if i then click "downloads" again from there, i get taken to:
    http://download-cdn.unity3d.com/unity/download/
    This only offers Unity 4.2.1

In order to download Unity 4.5 where I am (ip address: 58.96.51.216) I must follow your link (not the CDN redirect), and choose
    "Looking for an older version?"
    which displays all the direct-download links from your archive server:
    http://netstorage.unity3d.com/unity/UnitySetup-4.5.0.exe

@Aurore :
    You need to update your Content Delivery Network as it is broken, and out of date for some of your customers

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  4. Saxi

Saxi

I love Sublime, use it daily, but I couldn't switch without full code insight. Right now it is really bad with Sublime.

5. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

It's not just Australia, we're looking into this now.

6. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

download page is now fixed

7. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/Preferences.html

You just need to put this at Edit -> Preferences -> "External Script Editor Args":
    “$(File)”:$(Line)

8. -chris

-chris

For me, within Unity I set Sublime to be the default script editor. Double-clicking on an error opens up the file and jumps to the line without any extra work. Don't think it was any plugin I added.

I'm using:

• BracketHighlighter – helps you see matching brackets
    • BufferScroll – Lets you scroll past the bottom line without having to type extra lines
    • Colorsublime – Theme manager and browser
    • Function Name Display – On the status bar, says which function you're currently in
    • Sublime Bookmarks – Better highlighting when adding bookmark
    • Unity Completions – Pretty decent drop-down completion list shows as you type, not perfect but good
    • Unity3D
    • WhoCalled Function Finder –*I actually can't remember if I use this or not lol

Apart from Unity Completions, you should be able to search for and install the other packages from within Sublime by pressing Cmd + Shift + P, then type Install Package, then search for a package and press Return. If a package doesn't show, do a Google search instead or whatever.

I also made a MonoDevelop-based colour theme, and tweaked the display prefs a little to make it all easy to read... ZIP file here that includes my theme, Sublime prefs (to my liking), and Unity Completions package.

(I think Unity Completions would always time out or something for me. I believe I downloaded it from here if there's a newer version)

I've only been using Sublime for a few weeks, and while its autocomplete isn't always perfect, it gives me what I want if the var or function exists in my current script. There is no lag like MonoDevelop, it is instant and quick. I used to get so frustrated at how slow MonoDevelop would become, even having to close and re-open the app to just get things going again, ugh. But Sublime is heavenly compared to that; there's no slowness ever.

Common shortcuts I use:
    • Cmd + F – Find on page
    • Cmd + Shift + F – Find in files; just have to add your script path the first time you use this
    • Cmd + R, then type "function" – Lets you see and jump to any function on your pageand you can see all the functions in your script

Hope this helps.

9. Saxi

Saxi

I use Visual Studio which works great, but I'd love to use Sublime, but sublime is really poor for auto completes. and the unity ones are very minimal and incomplete. Being fairly new to unity, full code insight is a huge huge time saver.

10. SteveJ

SteveJ

Any practical reason? How about because it makes the most sense? :) That and the fact that it's always worked that way. I'm so used to that workflow - I want to see how many Trapdoors I have in a scene, so I shoot the mouse over to the Hierarchy and scroll right to the bottom. It's just instinct. When I first hit this new sorting thing it was a real WTF? moment. I now have my hundreds of environment pieces sitting under their root object in completely random order. I can use the filter, but that doesn't make for a very smooth workflow.

Anyway, there's a workaround. It's all good. I just think alphabetical should have remained the default.

11. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

In what way? I can't honestly see why a list of objects in the scene should be ordered alphabetically; that's just arbitrary and it would make more sense to be able to put them in an order that works better for whatever it is you're currently working on. People have been hacking the hierarchy list for ages by prepending object names with various characters; at last we can put them where we want by just putting them where we want, instead of messing with object names.

I would type "Trapdoor" in the search box, personally; if you have a large hierarchy it's faster.

Indeed. ;) "It's always worked that way", however, is never a good reason to keep doing something that way when you can do it in a better way.

--Eric

12. SteveJ

SteveJ

Booooo!

:)

13. goat

goat

I think there are too many levels of API now that Unity 4.5 is untangling things. My Lion Intel GMA 950 and Windows Intel HD Graphics machines used to run let's call it a 'Standard Test' of a somewhat rigorous combination of scripts and graphics created by the UMA team in their Example/Scenes/Scene01 with 4x4 Random generated avatars at 22 - 28 FPS in Unity 4.3.4.

Now with Unity 4.5 they both have slowed down substantially and the Mac Mini unusually so. There is not an error in the Editor log, at Game 'play' or on the os consoles. And the graphics on the GMA 950 used to look like the graphics on the Intel HD Graphics but now look bad as if several iterations of refinement in the lighting are missing? Is this CPU/GPU horse power detection and load lessoning for weaker / older models of HW to keep FPS and responsiveness up? In that case I expect an increase in FPS.

Attached Files:

14. RC-1290

RC-1290

Can you show what the profiler says about both of those?

15. Deleted User

Deleted User

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks Chris for all the info and links, its really helpful. Think I must have downloaded the old version by mistake. v3 jumps straight to the correct line just like you said. Now time to have a look at those packages...

17. Nazarick

Nazarick

Hello,

I encounter some problems with version 4.5. Two to be honest.

The first is that the asset store window opens but does not load, and when I reload the window it shows me several errors in the console of the editor.

Another concern noticed since installing version 4.5, the Vram displayed in the panel "Statistics" is 32MB. While I should be 2GB normally.

I reinstalled, check the permissions in the firewall, I tried disabling the firewall and antivirus, but nothing works. I'm not behind a proxy.

I installed parallel version 4.3.7 it works perfectly but I find it very damaging to 4.5.

Would you know why this happens to me?

Cordially
    LudlowFx

18. Moonjump

Moonjump

Because we know the alphabet so well. It is easy to find something without thinking "where have I put it?"

19. RC-1290

RC-1290

Does that include all possible UTF-8 values? Where would you expect 'å' to be?
    Also, that only helps if you can remember what name you used for something.

With manual sorting, you can organise the scene in any way you remember best. And because you now have control over the sorting algorithm, you can sort in any way you like.

20. WilliamBNewton

WilliamBNewton

There's a mistake in the current Docs I discovered in EditorGUILayout.BeginFadeGroup.

Code (csharp):
    1. void OnEnable(){
    3.     m_ShowExtraFields = new AnimBool(true);
    5.     m_ShowExtraFields.valueChanged = Repaint;
    7. }
    This doesn't work. It seems to be because the AnimBool constructor is actually where you place the valueChanged event, so it should read:

Code (csharp):
    1. void OnEnable(){
    3.     m_ShowExtraFields = new AnimBool(true, Repaint);
    5. }
    This is also not documented in any of the UnityEditor.AnimatedValue pages, which all seem to allow this through the constructor.

21. goat

goat

This is Unity Free 4.5 so I have no profiler. I forget if osX has something like Solaris truss but if it does I will post the results here.

I believe if it were Unity 4.5 Pro the degradation wouldn't have been near as bad. The best measure as a profiler is those pictures and the 'Unity Stats' window. Also that the frames could be seen changing and that I could count to 10 and more as a new frame was being paint from start to finish (Mac Mini only) was a good indicator.

22. goat

goat

I'm weird but my sorting method if custom or manually arranging was allowed would be to put the longest named object at the top and the shortest named object at the bottom and I'd wind up doing that everywhere within reason, I wouldn't sort the skeleton rigs like that for example.

23. goat

goat

While I gather a dtruss trace from os X I came unto another bug.

Unity 4.5, Lion, GMA 950 GPU, UMA 1.1 loaded attempted to run Game window in editor to generate 16 random avatars as usual but instead only 1 black silohouette avatar is generated and no more avatars.

Then I do a ps searching for Unity processes and although by now I have stopped the game (UMA) from running in the editor I see that Unity is running (no surprise) but also a shader compiler process is running.

I think this is the bug. Unity is slower on my PC Mac (OK, people scoff out my non-Alien HW but it is capable enough) and it must be (besides the extra API layers that must be there) because since each avatar is procedurally generated the shaders for the avatars don't get compiled til run time making things much slower. Were I to publish, the JIT compiling wouldn't be done. It be compiled pre-use.

It may be there are a handful of folk that develop with Unity and GMA 950 GPUs and Unity is not supporting GMA 950. When it does create textures on my Mac GMA 950 they look cruddy where as before they looked like my Windows INtel HD Graphics. If this is the case I would like to know.

I'm pretty sure most complaints in this thread have to be with JIT shader compiling with procedurally generated objects that require shaders.

The 'hung' process:

ps -ef | grep Unity
    501 2093 127 0 12:57PM ?? 1:21.58 /Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/MacOS/Unity -psn_0_1532278
    501 2122 2093 0 1:01PM ?? 0:00.74 /Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/Tools/UnityShaderCompiler /Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents ./Library/shadercompiler-1.log \\.\pipe\UnityShaderCompiler-1--1392311616

The contents of the shader compiler log file give no diagnostics:

/Users/goat/Documents/Design/Unity/UMA/Library/shadercompiler-1.log:

Base path: /Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents
    Pipe name: \\.\pipe\UnityShaderCompiler-1--1392311616
    Cmd: getPlatforms

+++++

I know that this process was not running before I started UMA in the Unity Game Player window so it must be invoked when the procedurally generated avatar was created and needed shaders.

I will restart Unity 4.5 run again see if 16 avatars are generated and if a shader compiler process is invoked for each of them. I think previously the shaders were precompiled. If the shaders are being compiled 16 times I think this is a mistake because the UMA characters all use the same shaders. There needs to be recognition that these avatars are all using the same set of shaders and textures but I think because the textures and colors applied to the textures can be varied it seems like that shaders are 'different' but they are not.

+++++

OK, I restarted Unity and this time it did create all 16 avatars instead of getting stuck on the first one. It took about 19 minutes. It did create textures for the avatars this time.

It creates only one shader compiler and this continues running throughout the creation of the 16 avatars. Even after I stop the Game Player window the UnityShaderCompiler continues to run. It does not exit until I exit Unity. It did not start until I started the UMA in the Game Player window.

The shader compiler log say the same thing as the previous run of Unity.

I think the UnityShaderCompiler then is only compiling those shaders once and while that is slow there is something else going on to make UMA so slow now.

I will gather up a dtruss trace now.

+++++

OK, I have a truss, actually several. The first couple of times the UMA avatars were black silhouettes and the last Unity create the textures, although they still look not too good.

I make the mistake of including the stack trace with was unneeded unless the bug was outside Unity (Unity said Apple has several like this) but in this case I think it's Unity.

I don't think the stack trace is needed so I made another trace….

And looking through the systems calls i don't see anything that stands out except a lot of semaphores being used and a lot of timeouts waiting on those semaphores. Reams of __semwait_signal with occasional recvfrom…that may be user input i/o ctrl.

I don't even know that that is a bug, it is an gaming and gui are event driven systems I know nothing about that design of those internals.

I won't bother attaching the truss logs…I've scrolled through a lot of it and not a lot of information other than you'd expect, just handle i/o.

There is a 'psych_mutex[wait|drop] that I instinctively distrust in the traces though, pseudo-parallel processing maybe…I'm guess maybe that's where the avatars are being generated.

Oh, I don't now it been somewhat interesting looking at this…maybe the __semwaits are Unity managing it's interaction with the OS and the psyncs Unity managing the Game interactions…

Finally paged down to where the UMA scripts are opening the pieces of the UMA mesh and assembling and opening the shaders…and it looks normal.

I've seen GC run 3 or so times…

i did get this error on closing Unity:

2388/0x3e60a: write_nocancel(0x1, "Error: Can't assign requested address\n\0", 0x26) = 38 0

Oh, well I didn't get too much details about the actual problem but I did learn a bit.

and and all those semwait_signals are osX Windows System interacting with Unity.

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  24. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

It seems it is not safe to download version 4.5. Apparently have much problems. Guess I'll wait for 4.6. What attracts me the most in version 4.6 is the new GUI.
    And of course I hope to see the updated physics. At least in whee Collider, or Vehicle in general.

25. Seth-McCumber

Seth-McCumber

Ive downloaded 4.5 and had no problems, other than a view visual bugs

26. goat

goat

You are probably OK with new hardware or even my 2010 PC only slowed down 5 - 10 FPS but the MacMini is now 7 years old. :-(

The UMA asset can be more strenuous than the typical game and that it ran so well in older versions of Unity on my hardware was a testament to UnLogick's Fernado's work.

It would be nice to be able to pick shaders and tell the UnityShaderCompiler to compile them before you started the Game Play window in the editor.

27. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

me too, i had no problems, only one that when you double click an error and it shows the selected object, the text of the selected object goes like 2 points up and bypass the selection background.

28. Dave-Taylor

Dave-Taylor

My game runs, too, and I'm seeing a great frame rate both in editor and in an OSX player build. I also noticed the build time seemed faster. However, it did crash trying to import one of my mp3's (case 610583).

I also have at least one Substance that looks different (shinier) in 4.5, and two hand-coded Cg shaders look different in 4.5 for some reason. I don't have any idea where to begin in debugging this stuff. Advice welcome.

Does anyone know where the CacheServer for v4.5 is? I can't find a download link.

29. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

30. Dave-Taylor

Dave-Taylor

Thanks so much, 10Finger!

31. manu_nantes

manu_nantes

I have a very annoying problem with this 4.5 Unity version. Now when I import my prefabs in my scene by drag and drop them in the Hierarchy panel, it set the prefabs automatically at 0 - 0 - 0 world position. With the previous versions, Unity preserved the “import position”. Is it normal?

Thanks
    E.Durand

32. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

dragging directly into scene window or hierarchy panel?

33. manu_nantes

manu_nantes

It's happen when I'm dragging into the hierarchy panel. I just tested with the same asset (.C4D) with the 4.3.4 version on a different computer and eveything works fine...

34. Dave-Taylor

Dave-Taylor

Been using 4.5 all day. 7 ios/osx player builds, 0 crashes! My ratio on 4.3.4 used to be 7 player builds, ~5 crashes. I'm floating on air! Thank you! :) :) :)

35. Saxi

Saxi

4.5 seems to be a mixed bag. Lots of complaints about FPS, crashes, polygon collider issues, and many without.

36. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

There is a lot of poor coding out there, you cannot expect Unity to handle poor code 100% and poor projects people have tried to update.
    I dont see any complaints about the issues you mentioned, poor FPS? where is the thread on this?

37. Saxi

Saxi

Just look throughout this tread. Builds that work fine in 4.3 at 60+ fps but drop to 2 in 4.5. Issues seem to be tied to polygon colliders and center of mass where things rock on the ground.

38. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Ok I see, its related to 2D FPS (On my current project just updated it to 4.5 and it was running at 40-60+ fps in 2D and now it is quickly dropping to 20fps. It uses a lot of 2D physics anyone else seeing this?)

If it was a problem with fps in general then I be worried as to me it has improved project performance especially on iOS latest devices.
    But I would someone test on all mobile devices to see if there performance improvements.

39. Saxi

Saxi

Check out the posts from Chris for some really weird stuff:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/248268-4-5-Release/page4?p=1642491&viewfull=1#post1642491

40. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

41. Saxi

Saxi

The issues I have seen on the forums and myself, I haven't seen any Unity response to yet. But I suspect there will be a patch within the next week or two if they get on top of it.

42. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

I download the version 4.5 . Before installing the new version i uninstall the older version, and clean registry and folders etc....
    After installing i open my car project. Problems on start:

Engine cars sound not playing in all cars, some time i can hear the player car engine sounds and not the AI Cars, if remove some AI cars on scene i can hear the AI and not player.

Sounds problems:(

And the other is already here, unity crashes. The 1 ª was on car collision once, the 2 ª in the inspector of current audio settings once.

It seems the unity crashes in random situations.
    For me i stop here:(

43. goat

goat

This thread in fact. The UMA project, vanilla and code unaltered, imported into Unity 4.5 on both a PC running Windows 8.1 64 bit and a Mac running os X Lion 10.7.5 64 bit btw have significant FPS slowdown. In the same way the the customer isn't always right, the customer isn't always wrong either.
    +++++
    Ah, nevermind....should have finished reading this thread before responding.

At any rate, I've submitted my bug report which is strictly to the Unity user a slow down on both platforms and in the case of the Mac, it seems bugs are added. This is probably separate from the 2D bugs.

Case 610978

Now it seems it's time to mow the lawn. Again.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  44. -chris

-chris

Unity will be letting us use 4.3's physics. A fix is coming: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/24...my-game-gt-(?p=1644906&viewfull=1#post1644906
    This will make me happy again.

There are other performance issues that Unity 4.5 has changed from 4.3... I believe I've fixed most of them for my game, but things like:

• I had a grenade weapon with an OnCollisionEnter2D event, would always Play its AudioSource on collision. Was fine in 4.3. 4.5? Nope, massive framerate lag, too many collisions and poor performance for calling audio.Play. So I added a check to make it play less often (not on every collision), handles better now, but still!! :(

• Had an acid cloud trap that, upon collision, it would perform Destroy(GetComponent(Rigidbody2D)). Crashes were inconsistent, but I finally discovered that this was causing my game to crash. So now I use `rigidbody2d.simulated = false;` instead, and it's fixed the crashing. But again, it's just like, why...

• Instantiating prefabs really has taken a hit. I've begun using object pooling to try and alleviate the performance issues. It seems to help. I still have more pooling work to do but it really does feel like it's necessary now.

• GUIText lineSpacing has changed somewhat... I've had to adjust most of my pixelOffset.y values to compensate for how things are shown now. Not a big deal but yeah.

All in all, I will be sticking with 4.5, but it has left a sour taste in my mouth.

45. Saxi

Saxi

I read Unity's post regarding the inertia changes, but that's not going to fix any of these other issues will it? Have you reported all these, I would recommend setting up a unique thread for each issue and try to get them to confirm them. I would also send individual bug reports/projects for each of these issues referencing the individual threads.

46. -chris

-chris

Thanks, yeah I have submitted bug reports and scenes regarding my issues. I am confident (or at least hopeful) that the upcoming physics fix will solve my stuff.

Inertia + centerOfMass + angularDrag have helped me a lot, but I am still not completely satisfied, so will wait and see what the physics fix brings.

47. Saxi

Saxi

Are they all physics related? The sound thing doesn't sound like it is physics related at all.

48. -chris

-chris

My major physics complaints are having severed body parts that use PolygonCollider2D rock back and forth and/or roll over and over again in one direction, whereas in 4.3 they'd just hit the floor and more or less stop, unless they still had a large velocity in action.

I have mostly fixed this, but still, like, instantiating a body part just above the floor, then it drops to the floor and decides to roll and rock, hugely unrealistic. But with tweaking inertia, centerOfMass, and angularDrag, I have managed to *mostly* resolve these issues. But it still looks weird.

The sound thing, in 4.3 it was not an issue. I'd have 10 different grenades bouncing off each other, off the walls, no framerate drop. Then in 4.5, throw 10 together and when they collide, framerate would drop to near 0. Tried some changes, disabled playing their AudioSources on every collision, tada, no more framerate drop. So now I just call audio.Play less sparingly.

But still, this wasn't an issue in 4.3. Was fine and happy for months. Then suddenly here's 4.5, and it's like Unity can't handle things as well sometimes. Bit of a step back.

49. PrefabEvolution

PrefabEvolution

In 4.5 they are open access to create native reordarable list in your own GUI: Thread Link

50. arkon

arkon

I'm having problems with sprites in 4.5, sprite visible in the editor and missing on IOS build. Also all sprites being imported as 16bit with no way to change it.

And a whopper bug when you try and use Unity4.3 and 4.5 on the same machine, say you have a project that was last opened with 4.5 now need to use 4.3 to open a different project. When you run 4.3 it starts to upgrade the last opened 4.5 project! I now have to always use alt when I run unity to make sure it opens the right project.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.