Search Unity

4.3 Standalone Builds Really Poor Performance

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by boone188, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Arowx

Arowx

2. roxIndie

roxIndie

We have the same problem here, Windows standalone builds runs painfully slow.

3. olivierva

olivierva

Do you have a bug report number of this issue?

4. Arowx

Arowx

5. V_E_N_C_I

V_E_N_C_I

vote 10 in the tracker... but one thing i want to know... should we wait 3-4 months for the next release of unity to get the problem fixed or unity is preparing a patch... does anyone succeed to contact unity and get information about the problem and when is going to be fixed because this is not an issue but major problem... the only answer we got from the support was that we need to provide a bug report number or something (i cannot call this just a bug) and nobody gives us information... building and testing a game with such a performance 15 fps (about 100 in 4.2.x) is not possible... but waste of time and this concerns everyone... :D hope we wont have to wait much time :)

6. Arowx

Arowx

You can roll back to 4.2, and build from there, otherwise it's just waiting for UT to find fix and re-test and release an update.

7. Xenome

Xenome

usually pre-made public scripts in my experience always have errors on the run-time, those errors decrease your frame-rate.

8. lcambiaghi

lcambiaghi

I also voted 10/10 :(

9. Alabatross

Alabatross

I'm having the same issue, ive been tearing apart my entire project trying to figure out what magically ruined my performance :(

I then remembered the only major thing I did was update to 4.3

10. tynew

tynew

Just tried this.

16k cubes at 60fps on build 4.2
    4k cubes at 60fps on build 4.3

So Unity 4.3 is a 4x performance drop.

11. Alabatross

Alabatross

This was wonderful and gave me a big sigh of relief. Ill have to halt my public alpha tests until 4.3.1 :\

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  12. sh0v0r

sh0v0r

Awesome thank you for posting this, I just used all of my 10 votes for this issue as well. Seems there are a few of us that got caught out making the assumption everything was fine because it runs fine in the editor. Everyone please go and vote on this issue to bring it to the top, it's current priority is only a 7 I hope that is an actual indexed queue and not a scale of severity because IMO this is a show stopper.

13. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the feedback. We have found fixed the issue. It will be fixed in 4.3.1 very soon.

14. V_E_N_C_I

V_E_N_C_I

good news : ) thanks..... : )

15. Alabatross

Alabatross

Great to hear! nearly 80% of my testing base is unable to run the 4.3 builds at a playable rate, everyone is looking forward to it :)

16. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

~20k on 4.2
    ~20k on 4.3
    No difference.

But my real project runs 10 times faster in editor than as a build, like 190fps vs 19fps.

17. Alabatross

Alabatross

Are you on nvidia or ati?

All of my testers with ati reported severe fps issues compared to the last build, nvidia users also reported a hit but it wasnt as bad

18. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

Radeon HD6950, Catalyst 13.9, Windows 7 x64

19. tynew

tynew

I also have a HD6950 on Catalyst 13.1, Windows 7 x64. On the 4.2 build that we have I was getting 40fps and then 3fps in a 4.3 version.
    Well the devs found a fix so it'll solve our problems.

20. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

The bug is marked as fixed already, but I haven't got my 10 votes back. Maybe I should send a bug report about the bug tracker.
    :)

21. NTDC-DEV

NTDC-DEV

22. Murkas

Murkas

I can confirm, the bug is solved in 4.3.1. Just tested it.

23. Arowx

Arowx

24. DigitalAperture

DigitalAperture

Same for me. 4.3.1 Windows builds are back to normal.

25. rdelossantos

rdelossantos

I'm experiencing low frames per second with the project "Unity Projects 02: 2D Platformer", compiling for android with version 4.3.1 and the fps is very low . when running in OUYA. The movements looks jerky. Please help anybody with this issues.

26. foobar

foobar

My android project is performing terribly on 4.3.1 as well. Practically no batching is being performed whatsoever. The same project on iOS does not seem to be experiencing the same issues.

27. J_P_

J_P_

Editor feels really choppy in 4.3.1 on OSX Mavericks -- unity's framerate counter says 100+ but it feels like 15-20

edit: might be a photoshop problem. Noticed 4.2 didn't feel any better and was worried it was Mavericks. Closed everything else, then slowly opened stuff -- photoshop (CS6 sub) made a big difference.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  28. ev3d

ev3d

I ran head long into this one as well.. :( Unity team, i think you rushed 4.3 out!

29. NTDC-DEV

NTDC-DEV

Wrong thread for your problems @rdelossantos, @foobar , @JTown; submit a bug report.

@ev3d; it should be fixed in 4.3.1.

30. mrKaizen

mrKaizen

New version out ;)

31. botroidal

botroidal

My android project is performing terribly on 4.3.1 as well. Its impossible to run in nexus 7 more slow build.

32. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Be aware that the terrain max mesh tree setting does not work: all trees will be displayed as meshes (only the billboard start setting works)

33. Xanthius

Xanthius

Our project is also performing horribly on Android 4.3.1. Our fps on Nvidia SHIELD is substantially slower than our 4.2.2 builds.

34. TriplePAF

TriplePAF

Hello,

I solved the error message Mismatched serialization in the builtin class 'Mesh' due changing the ProjectSettings | Editor | Asset Serialization | Mode force Binary. it only happens again if I convert back to text or mixed.

kind regards,

Peter Fonk.
    Unity Pro 4.3.2

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  35. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Ugh, having this issue myself and only just came across this thread. I've got an AMD graphics card running on latest drivers and a 144hz monitor, not sure if that might play a part, but the latest AMD drivers seemed to completely destroy everything for me (f.lux doesn't work anymore, second cursor on my monitor at the top left...)

Disabled OC and tried dynamic/no batching, both with little gain. Editor still runs a lot faster :|

36. Bibi-Maghoo

Bibi-Maghoo

Just to chip in, even though I am a basic user, I have been trying to figure this out today. In my gameview when running the game is 60fps, with drops to 30fps when things get really heavy. If I build the game, I get 40fps dropping to 12fps when things get heavy. I cannot through any adjustment seem to mitigate this issue. I tried reducing the clipping planes to be really low and moved relevant things closer to the camera, but to no avail. It is quite a basic scene as well, that only involves some spinning rocks and a couple of missiles. I cannot view the scene in build without an unplayable fps.

EDIT: Updating Unity fixed this issue for me. I was not on the latest build, so some bug with an older version. If you have this problem just update Unity.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  37. Arowx

Arowx

I've seen this kind of frame drop in the IDE but it tends to happen when I hit an obscure repeating error showing up in the console window, when I was playing with procedural geometry.

38. yourHost

yourHost

If I change to Force Text, it gets rid of the errors for me. Thank you for your help. I've had this error hanging over me for days.

39. johnb2

johnb2

I've been having the same issue as the rest of you guys but I have found something that works for me that seems to fix it, but is far from ideal. And this may only be relative to myself, and it is quite obscure fix - but it may help elude to the real issue.

When I start seeing performance issues, I open NVidia GeForce Experience program.
    While this is open, my issues disappear.
    The second I close it, the issue reappear.

This wasn't happening at all during 4.2x and since this also has shown up in AMD cards, I'm not sure what to think.
    Perhaps there is some settings in Player, Quality, or otherwise that isn't actually saving and is being freed/hampered by these types of enhancing programs when working with Unity.

40. silentslack

silentslack

I'm running 4.5.3f3 and seem to running into this problem. Is this def fixed in this release?

41. Arowx

Arowx

Check out the Unity Mark thread, I've been building standalone PC and Web versions of the benchmark with each release of Unity. It looks like the 4.5.4 release has dropped in performance for me at least from 70k to 64k Cube Marks. But download and run the benchmark to test for yourself.

Note the benchmark only tests 3d cubes and quads, not sprites.

42. silentslack

silentslack

Interesting, looks like I will be running this each release before upgrading my project. Cheers

43. Arowx

Arowx

OK Just give me a nudge if I haven't got the latest release built.