Search Unity

4.3.0 Missing Wrap Mode dropdown in Animation window

Discussion in 'Animation' started by OrbZ, Nov 20, 2013.

1. OrbZ

OrbZ

Am I the only one having this problem? Was this dropdown moved in 4.3? I just updated to 4.3 from 4.2 and its gone. I see the Dope Sheet and Curves buttons where it used to be. Anyone know?

2. Matt1122

Matt1122

You are not the only one...When you click on the animation file in project pane, either wrap mode can show up in inspector
    ... or a new set of animation options with something called loop time..The only problem is that when the new animation options show up inspector , i do not see wrap mode options any more(default, loop, ping pong etc)

mbkfa123 likes this.
  3. OrbZ

OrbZ

Not following your Matt1122. I wasn't clear before, I'm actually talking about seeing an animation clip in the animation window. I think you may be talking about an animation file like from an .fbx or something. Please confirm.

Also note, in the the Curve View, that would typically show the selected Wrap Mode with white lines outside the time range, no longer does this for the animation clip. For example, some previous animations clips I created that were set to 'loop' still loop, but there isn't a preview of this in the Curve View to let you know it has been set.

4. Joniz

Joniz

I am having exactly the same problem, no dropdown for Wrap Mode. Is this broken? Or moved somewhere? I don't see anything about it in the Release Notes.

Ah! Finally found it in the Inspector pane for the animation file.

Though I also can't tell what GameObject I am working with in the Animation window. It does not list the name. Maybe I am missing something here?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  5. Deleted User

Deleted User

i still cant find a wrap mode drop down. not in the animation window or the inspector of the anim file

6. mechanicum

mechanicum

Set the inspector to Debug mode (rightclick on the tab), and doubleclick the animation. Then WrapMode can be set again.

7. infine

infine

it doesn't work (( nothing happens when i change wrap mode in the edit mode. i tried to save project and then i'll see in play mode. nothing changes. Unity team!!!! return wrap mode where it was before!!!! what a silly thing to change. who made it up

8. xCyborg

xCyborg

I concur: suggested workaround ineffective, I filed a regression report: (Case 581306) Regression: No WrapMode list in the Animation Window.
    This has to be fixed in the nearest minor point release before 4.3.2.
    -real silly.

9. amigo

amigo

Well, it has not been fixed in 4.3.2f1, which is ludicrous, because this option has been in the Animation Window for a long time.

I've looked and looked, and if I did not find this thread, I would not have known where to change the Wrap Mode setting (Inspector->Debug Mode on the animation file)

EDIT: And just to add, it does not work. Even after changing the Wrap Mode to PingPong I still get the default looping action. :(

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  10. infine

infine

does anybody know when they are gonna fix this stupid bug?!

11. pierrepaul

pierrepaul

Unity Technologies

Hi.

The reason why you don"t see the dropdown is because the Animation is of Mecanim type.

In 4.3 we have made it so that by default, newly created animations are Mecanim.

To have the dropdown appear, you need to create a Legacy animation.

To do that, simply make sure that when you add an Animation on a GameObject you have an Animation (not Animator) component on the object. You need to add the Animation component manually, otherwise an Animator component will be created.

Hope this helps.

pp

12. infine

infine

Hi!

Thank you for your reply!

I've just made sure I've added an Animation component, but I've not found wrap mode drop down list. Please see my screenshot http://clip2net.com/s/6s1XyC. What do I do wrong?

13. tmathis

tmathis

Just an update on this issue. I sent a repro to Unity QA and they confirmed it is in fact a bug and replied back to me saying that the repro has been sent to the Unity developers. I was not informed that a legacy animation should be created (my repro is creating an animation and not an animator) but that it was in fact a bug (perhaps the old behavior is to be defaulted back?).

That said, they also stated that they can't say which public release the fix will be in though. I imagine this should make it into one of the minor builds. In the interim, my workaround is to mirror the animation along the timeline (making the animation twice as long for PingPong, etc).

Cheers,

-t

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  14. xCyborg

xCyborg

Please don't tell me you are gonna do nothing about it, even with your solution I can't preview the wraped animation until I enter play mode! not to mention the anim clip is unusable for Mecanim, why on earth would the mecanim wrapmodes be better than legacy? I don't even know how to make Pingpong loop in Mecanim, please port the lagacy modes to Mecanim or at least expose the legacy ones to the animation window so we can preview it in the scene.
    Anyway I assure you, leaving things at what they are now is just a mere regression for me.

15. PsychoPsam

PsychoPsam

Changing the Inspector to Debug reveals the wrap type for me, but will that go to a build? For example if Inspector is set to debug and I build to Android, will it go off again as the build is in release mode?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  16. alexman

alexman

Guys,

I faced the same issue as I am learning through the Stealth tutorial project - CCTV chapter. I am using Unity 4.3.2f1 at the moment.

I think the instructions in the tutorial video seems to be using an old version of Unity as the interfaces and behaviors are a bit different, and I cannot see the drop down box as well, i can only see the drop sheet and curves, not for the ping pong option.

After a few hours trying, I found the following work around ( base on the chapter ) :

- change to debug mode
    - select the prop_cctvCam_joint, please press (F) to make sure you are looking at the one you're changing, i didn't, and wasted me half an hour
    - in the inspector window, click add component -> misc -> create an Animation object, don't change any values in the component
    - open up the Animation window
    - click "Add Curve", and type a name to create a new Animation object
    - you will now see a window appear next to the "Add Curve" button in the Animation window, choose "Transform", and then click the little + next to Rotation ( if this window disappear, delete the new animation object you created, in the project folder, and create it again )
    - now make sure you are looking at the drop sheet option
    - you will see 2 sets of diamonds, one set at 0:00, one set at 1:00
    - pull the TOP diamond at 1:00 to 2:00, the whole set of diamonds will move to 2:00, and that set of diamonds will be blue in color ( if you are using the default color scheme )
    - click the 0 next to the Rotation.y and change to 60, you should now see the CCTV in the Scene view rotated
    - make sure you are still highlighting the prop_cctvCam_joint in Hierarchy window, and the inspector is showing the details of that instance, in the Animation component, you will see an Animations option which you can expand, it should be expanded and with the new script linked, however the Animation field is still showing none
    - pull your new Animation object from the Project window to the inspector window, now you will see the Animation field populated with your new Animation object
    - change the wrap mode here to ping pong

and it should finally work ..... please share if you got another work around, thanks...

Regards,
    Alex

17. Eyeofgod

Eyeofgod

The wrapmode isn't the only thing broken. The new mecanim animations always sample all parameters of the animation clip, even if you haven't add any curve to those parameters. If mecanim doesn't find a paramter it takes the original value of it (the value that the gameobject had before pressing play). The result of this is, as an example, if you have two animations, one is just a fade from 0-1, and the other is a movement from posA to posB, if you play first the fade animation and then the movement one the fade state of the object will return to the original value when playing the movement animation. In the old legacy system you cold "stack" animations like, first a fade, then a movement, later a rotation... in the new system that is not possible.

18. Companella

Companella

Always happen!!!

19. alundra56

alundra56

Thank you so much Alex!! I have been stuck for hours trying to toy with Unity and figure out how to make this PingPong work. Your explanation was SPOT ON!

jfhopkin likes this.
  20. diegoossa

diegoossa

Thanks man!

jfhopkin likes this.
  21. Yangstein

Yangstein

$animation_wrap_mode0203.jpg
    I had the same problem when I was doing the tutorial project Stealth. I couldn't find the "Wrap Mode" setting in the Animation window.

After adding curve, I clicked back to the project tab, the "Wrap Mode" setting is shown on the Inspector.

22. jiri-vyc

jiri-vyc

Thank you man! I'm working on it right now and you probably saved me another hour of trouble.

23. parnar

parnar

thank you ! awesome post :)

24. Remludar

Remludar

Click on the ANIMATION FILE ITSELF in the project pane. You will then see the wrap mode in the inspector. Took me forever to figure this out.

25. Ax_hD

Ax_hD

Click on the prefab in the assets folder.,,there a 3 tabs Model Rig and Animations scroll down there is an option for loopig animations

26. Gaugeforever

Gaugeforever

Sorry to resurrect this thread.

I am a new user to Unity, and while I find most of the newer changes people have issues with really nice for me as a new user, this one is not. Why should I have to go to the project view to change this setting? I'm in the animation editor, this intuitively seems like a setting I should be able to change in there?

I'm ok with adding the legacy animation manually, but honestly I think you could add the Wrap mode back into the animation editor, it would make a lot more sense there.

Also thank you to Yangstein, I would have never thought to look there for the setting. You have saved me hours of fiddling I'm sure.

27. Epican

Epican

Thanks a million for sharing this saved me alot of hassle, cheers!

28. Isaacg

Isaacg

Hi guys, I'm with th Steatlh tutorial. I have made what Alex said, but it unity keeps me warning and the camera doesn't move. It says this: The AnimationClip 'CCTVSweep' used by the Animation component 'prop_cctvCam_body' must be marked as Legacy. How can I do that?

EDIT: I finally got it, I select the animation file and in the debug mode change the type from 2 to 1, and it works

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  29. demiankz

demiankz

Brilliant. Thanks, mate.

30. 3Martinis

3Martinis

This was all still broken for me. Easiest solution was to just setup a standard cycling animation rather than fighting with ping ponging it... same result, a 60 degree sweep in Y over 4 seconds. Set 0 keys at 0:00 and 4:00. Set a 60 key at 2:00 Set all the tangents to flat (select the key, right click, toggle "flat"). Select the cctv animation in Project, and toggle-on "loop time" in the inspector (normal mode). Hit play.
    Unity Version 4.3.4f1

31. gordeszkakerek

gordeszkakerek

Here my tutorial video so it's work for me:

32. Fixe

Fixe

still not work for me.

Is anyone aware wich was the most recent unity release that does not have this bug? I'm probably going to install that

33. dpcamp

dpcamp

anyone having this issue in this tutorial may save some time and headache by instead of trying to get pingpong to work, simply adding another keyframe at 4 seconds setting the y rotation back to 0. if you want a smoother transition, you can set all 3 keyframes (0s,2s,4s) to a flat curve in your curve view. obviously this isn't a production fix since it would waste a lot of time, but you can keep moving forward in the stealth tutorial with out too much tinkering.

34. pavlito

pavlito

For those who still can't get it right. Here are the easy steps.

1. Select game object
    2. Add animation component
    3. command (ctrl) + 6 (default for animation window)
    4. Create animation inside animation window (Do not create the animation through the project view as it will auto-create a Mechanim clip)
    5. add curves -> stop recording
    6. select the animation asset in project view and change wrap mode in inspector.
    7. Check animation component and ensure that all fields are correct (e.g. animation and size of animations set to 1 or more and link those as well.)

wmadwand likes this.
  35. wmadwand

wmadwand

Thanks for your advice. It works!

36. wmadwand

wmadwand

Thanks for your advice. It works!

37. ThunderfoxPro

ThunderfoxPro

38. mfatihbarut

mfatihbarut

And the most primitive solution to save the day is.
    Using the same animation prepare 2 states.
    upload_2021-7-1_13-2-22.png

Make one's speed 1 (normal) and the other -1 (reverse). Make a transition between them it also behaves like pingpon
    upload_2021-7-1_13-3-45.png