Search Unity

4.2 is LIVE!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aurore, Jul 22, 2013.

1. scarpelius

scarpelius

If the your downloaded file doesn't have 833 MB (873,501,352 bytes) Size or 833 MB (873,504,768 bytes) Size on disk, then is incomplete.

2. Zeblote

Zeblote

Downloaded id a third time now it works.

3. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

it's good news for us but again new GUI system is not release.

4. MyIsaak

MyIsaak

There is always Ngui for us :)

5. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I'm using tens of thousands on machines with somewhat aged hardware.

6. Dan Fury

Dan Fury

Does no one else have this problem? I checked it over and over again and meanwhile I'm pretty sure it's a bug in Unity. The Navmesh works when I bake it in 4.1 and use it in 4.2, but when I bake it with 4.2 it uses ways across unwalkable areas.

7. Drakorian-Labs

Drakorian-Labs

Hi, after a quick check and a bug report i can say symbolic links are not working in OSX (10.7.x).
    The link appears in the editor as an unidentified, single asset, you can't access the content of the folder it points to.

If you put a symb link in your assets folder, and it references folder that contains editor scripts they show up right in the main menu, but when you click them Unity crashes (you can't see the scripts within the link btw).

8. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Omg... Re-importing a full project is such a pain :(

9. landon912

landon912

For all that talk of Q/A this has honestly been the worst upgrade for me. The project upgraded fine, but then I saved and made a back-up of the 4.2 project over-writing the 4.1 project and it's backup. When I opened it the next day half my files are corrupt and some others just disappeared. I found the same thing was in the back-up I saved earlier. Now instead of enjoying the new features, I'm redoing a month's work as I luckily found an old backup hidden. I just hope this is a one in a million thing, and justifiably slipped through Q/A.

10. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Why?

Whenever I see a case like this I have an extreme urge to expound on what you should and should not do with a backup in order to avoid losing work. It almost makes me want to cry.

A good backup should at the very least:
    1. Not be on the machine you work on, and (otherwise the machine dying kills your backup as well)
    2. Store historical data, not just a latest copy, and (so if you make a corrupted backup you haven't lost your backup)
    3. Be left alone! (because the more you touch it the more likely there is to be an error)

And ideally:
    4. Be in some kind of version control system. (This way updates add to data rather than replacing it, and all of the above can easily happen implicitly as you work at the same time as making your work easier.)

It doesn't matter how awesome and bug free Unity is, a project upgrade is always a high risk task. What if there's a power-break mid upgrade or your computer turns off or restarts?

11. Meltdown

Meltdown

Install Getright, you should only ever be downloading something once.

12. landon912

landon912

The back-up is on an external computer.(google drive)
    I back up the project every month and archive them, hence why I said I lost a month of work.

Also, I don't believe it was the upgrade that caused the error since it worked perfectly until it was reopened.

13. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

I'll join angrypenguin on the expounding. Expounding is fun! You really can't back up a project every month; that's just asking to lose a month's work. You need to be able to roll back every time you close the project at least. Nothing to do with Unity, that's just basic common sense. There should not be any excuse for losing work, even if Unity were deliberately programmed to nuke your entire system. (Note: regardless, don't use the UnityEngine.NukeEntireSystem() function....) If you have a Mac, at least use Time Machine. Some kind of sane backup strategy or version control is necessary. It's sort of understandable that the general public would typically not back up properly, but any developer really should know better.

--Eric

14. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

That's odd. In 10.8 it works just fine. Did it work for you before the 4.2 upgrade?

15. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Every month???? Every day sounds like a minimum to me!

16. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

I suggest you buy Noesis which just released, regardless of what the new GUI will be i'm sure it puts it to shame!

17. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Get a Bitbucket account, which is free. Download SourceTree or TortoiseGIT, which are also free.

Every time you finish a session working on your <anything>, commit and push. You will have every single session of your project's work backed up on a remote computer. It's cloud storage. It's a project log. It's a backup. It's infinite undo. It's a sharing tool. Hell, it'll even do your dishes*! And it's 100% free!

* Not really. But imagine how many dishes you could have done in the time it'll take you to re-do your last month's worth of work? ;)

Really, like Eric says, there's no excuse for a developer with an Internet connection to lose any significant amount of work these days.

18. Drakorian-Labs

Drakorian-Labs

Hi, nope, it didn't work either.
    Would you be so kind to explain how you make it work? i'm tired of copy/merge folders to share code (yeah, i'm not that good with version control to take that route ;) )
    Thanks!

19. Smooth-P

Smooth-P

I'm getting three dozen + "Fallback handler could not load library" messages on startup when running my standalone player project built in Unity 4.2 on OSX 10.8.4.

The game seems to run fine, but I'm wondering what these messages mean and how to get rid of them... And yes, I've already nuked the Unity directory and reinstalled.

20. vx4

vx4

Great work but they have to update physic engine in next version.

21. Dantus

Dantus

I don't think they will. Newer versions usually mean breaking compatibility and it is very likely that Unity doesn't want that in a minor release.

22. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

23. Smooth-P

Smooth-P

+1!

24. charmandermon

charmandermon

Thank you Team Unity! Keep up the amazing work!!! I really am loving the feel of this version so many little features that I already am in love with. (like color presets, and custom game window size...) Also big thanks for fixing the gyro issues with iOS!

25. MHD-Salka

MHD-Salka

Does this update fix the audio latency on the majority of Android devices? also changing audio DSP buffer size from a script was not working in android , the change log does not state if this issue was fixed or not?

Beside that, awesome update : )

26. Drakorian-Labs

Drakorian-Labs

27. Dan Fury

Dan Fury

After a week without feedback I rolled back to 4.1.5
    After all this talk about how great the new Unity QA team is, the last week without any reply about this issue is a huge slap in the face. A short feedback that would state my bug is known and will be fixed would've been great.
    Navmesh is pretty much the only pro feature I use in my current project and making it free and broken with 4.2 is just sad after the QA hype. I mean I still would need my pro license because I use off-mesh links, but since it doesn't work I'll just continue to use 4.1.5 until the next version comes out that hopefully fixes the problem.

28. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

Awesome. good news for us.

29. Neogene

Neogene

The new customizable game window size is nice but we need to set the Zoom of these reoslutions, in some cases (iPad retina ie or iphone 5 vertical) a zoom will allow to test also inside normal monitors, we are using a 17'' and the ipad retina is untestable while the iphone 5 vertical fills the screen.

A zoom will be the solution to test on EVERY monitor EVERY resolution without any need to test in the first phases on the real device and to increase developing times.

30. Jaimi

Jaimi

Did you create a bug report? Sometimes they post comments on those. They should have sent an email that let's you look it up in the bug db.

31. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

But how would you be able to play/test it if you are zoomed in to a small section of the screen?
    At least I assume that's what you mean since the game window scales maintaining the correct ratio based on the window size.

32. Trilusion

Trilusion

+1 for the zoom. Let's say you test for retina with a zoom setting of 0.5, then the game window should occupy 1024x768, but querrying Screen.width and Screen.height should return the true retina size (e.g. 2048x1536).

33. Neogene

Neogene

Yes this is how the iOS simulator works from the first versions, this allow to test high resolutions device on our laptop/normal LED screens, this feature will make the ratio option useless and will speed developing time.

34. Neogene

Neogene

I mean scale up/down the whole play area but keeping the Screen.width/height reporting the real values (and not the scaled ones), like in iOS simulator when testing Retina resolutions.

35. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Except in doing so it will break everyone's projects who have written dynamic screen scaling code, as it's imperative for them to get the actual size of the window.

I don't understand why you need it to work this way, it makes no sense as if the screen size is reporting the actual desired window size and not the actual size on screen then everything would break like mouse input position.

The only way what you are asking for makes sense is if the zoom is a proper zoom (like in Photoshop) so the physical screen is showing just a small area of the actual game screen. However though that sounds cool, and would enable you to visually confirm pixel perfect design, I don't see it being practical to interact with? Maybe interacting and playing the game/project isn't as important though, and it's the ability to see a 1:1 pixel resolution for aligning layout is the point?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  36. Neogene

Neogene

Have you ever used iOS simulator?

You can test iPad Retina applications scaled to smaller screens due to its huge resolution (2048*1536).

Not even the apple thunderbold display can handle the full iPad retina resolution (it's 2560*1440 pixels).

it's not so hard to find a benefit from scale the play area when working with these huge resolutions.