Search Unity

4.2 crash problems

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by benlawdavis, Jul 23, 2013.

1. jake10122

jake10122

They would know if they tested JS

2. Sef

Sef

Case: 554208
    long time no update :mad: my work is stopped.

3. Kazimieras

Kazimieras

Hi guys,

there is a workaround for this issue. What you need to do is force Unity editor to use DX11 mode.

How to do it:
    1. right-click on Unity icon and go to properties;
    2. Find target field (ex. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Unity\Editor\Unity.exe");
    3. Append this text to target path " -force-d3d11" (ex. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Unity\Editor\Unity.exe" -force-d3d11);
    4. Try to open Unity.

4. ectogama

ectogama

sorry but this 4.2 is so bad it is sooooo slooooooow and crushing, also sometimes i cant open projects at all getting
    Fatal error
    Failed to initialize unity graphics
    its impossible to work

5. Kazimieras

Kazimieras

Hi, ectogama,
    can you describe reproduction steps to get a fatal error? Also, please check "Known issues in Unity" thread in unity support category. There you might find a workaround for your problem.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  6. Sef

Sef

I can not do it. I have windows xp.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  7. Kazimieras

Kazimieras

You should upgrade your hardware.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  8. Fliperamma

Fliperamma

I'm using Unity PRO 4.2.0f4 on a iMac OS X 10.8.3 (2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 / NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 512 MB) and it's crashing dozens times per day, specially on Android, when I click Build, Build and Run, when I click Browse Keystore etc, moments after the Finder screen pops out. I already sent some bug reports ... is there some workaround to get more stability on OS X?

9. BarbaricCo

BarbaricCo

4.2.1 crashing like crazy. The software that crushed once a year? Unworkable, besides that it also completly broken Rebel Hero project. Maybe to slow down development cycle little bit? (OSX 10.7.5)

10. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

I haven't used 4.2.1 enough to experience crashing yet but two days in a row when I load my project I got there errors where it can't load my saved view (NGUI widgets) and loads the default one. It seems to be having problems with NGUI as it doesn't load the NGUI editor menu and component selection menu. $bug.png

11. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

I found the problem. If at the end of a long day of coding you quit or save your project while there are still errors in a script that you intend to fix later, then the next time you fire up Unity and open that project you may have the same problem. Fixing the script errors also fixed the problem.

12. rizawerx

rizawerx

same here, 4.2.1 crashed so often...I can open the project, I can open the scene but when i pick an object (a native unity cube with a JS script in it ) bam! unity crashed...but other object seems ok also with a JS script in it...I revert back to 4.2.0f4 and everything normal again..
    win 8 pro x64

13. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

Notice how the stability of Unity is inversely proportional to the number of supported platforms that it adds. The code base is becoming more complex. This is starting to worry me.

14. pavlito

pavlito

Exactly. Tho, I hope by the time we get to 4.5 or something, it will be stable. Who knows, maybe they remove some of the platforms supported, much like Flash :)

Oh, ya.. mine crashes here and there, on various occasions. Opening or saving a scene, importing assets, opening a script etc.
    I'm using an iMac 24" with 10.8.3 OS X

Luckily, I'm not working on a large project, so even if I lose something, it's not a lot to bang my head against the wall for.

15. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

I'm on a 2009 iMac 27" running the latest version of Mountain Lion. I make at least 5 backups everyday. I duplicate the current project, rename it to a name like TOT-09-04-13_2100 (date time) then open that duplicated project, reimport all the assets, save it, then copy it to a USB, and then it's TimeMachined every night to my NAS RAID. I've been doing this since I started in January. I must have hundreds of backups at various stages of development in two-hour (or quicker) increments of progress. So I'm not too worried about losing work.

16. Kazimieras

Kazimieras

Hey guys,
    if you write what kind of computer do you have, please write what kind of graphic's card you have also. When you are experiencing a crash, please fill the bug report. With the bug report, we can see what caused the crash and then fix it.
    Cheers :)

17. eriihine2

eriihine2

I have similar issues with 4.2.1. When ever I select something on my scene unity crashes. Had to revert back to 4.2.0f4, which works OK.

I'm using MacBook Pro.

Edit: bug report done :)

18. ectogama

ectogama

I had some issues with unity 4.2 crushing too but i solve them. If you using git or svn it creates hidden folder inside unity project just delete that hidden folder and load your project and it should be fine.

19. CronGM

CronGM

Total Unity noob here. Downloaded it to learn during the weekend, but I had the same issue stated in this thread. Just letting others know that adding the -force-d3d11 parameter to the launcher loads the project, but I don't know if it's the "right" fix for the issue.

I have a GeForce GT 735M with a Core i7 processor.

20. Fliperamma

Fliperamma

Yeah... this is terrible .. Crash after crash .. now I've just lost a important prefab (Unity Crashed, Reopened, I click on the Prefab and Inspector doesn't show anything at all, it seems to be empty) .. 30 min of work in the trash.

Please guys, give us a stable 4.X ASAP. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of bug reports but I'll keep reporting anyway.

Thanks

21. Fliperamma

Fliperamma

Seems that my prayers have been heard!

No crashing with the brand new launched version (4.2.1f4)! I'll keep reporting if anything strange happens but for now its running perfectly again.

Thank you guys! :D

22. KeithT

KeithT

Just upgraded to 4.2.1 on Win7-64. If you put monodevelop into debug it repeatedly crashes, unity then hangs and you have to kill it with the task manager. Bug reporting is not picking it up :eek:(

Just did a bit more testing on this, if you put mono develop into debug (attach to the editor) even without running the game, and then look at the process with the task manager it just gobbles more and more memory till it crashes.

$MonoDevMemCrash.jpg

Even does it with a new empty project. Have raised a bug report.

Must be said last few releases have cost us a lot of dev time with crashes and project corruptions. Doing many backups a day, which is not a good way to work!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  23. totsboy

totsboy

I updated today to 4.2.1f4 and it crashes all the time!
    Same thing for mac mini and for a macbook pro.
    Graphic cards are Intel HD Graphics 4000 and 3000 respectively.

(already submited bug report)

24. VladimirTa

VladimirTa

4.2.1f4 crashes the same on Intel HD4000 graphics.
    Should we make a bug report again?

25. KeithT

KeithT

I tried installing 4.2.1f4 on a new machine and it was a lot more stable, so uninstalled it on the Win 7 machine with the above problem, then deleted everything I could find about monodevelop mainly in the users/username/appdata/..... folders plus Program Files... (this is really poor that monodevelop leaves all this) and then reinstalled and it does seem a lot better.

Looks like maybe the upgrade option does not do something it should

26. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm so glad i googled this before i upgraded to 4.2 because i thought i was good to go. Just to make sure i just installed 4.2 as a seperate build and made a back up for my current beefy project. Ran 4.2 and it asked me to upgrade my project so i told it to go away because its not worth it xD

im sticking to Unity 4.1.5 until another stable release is made , i have 0 problems with my current Unity version on Windows 8 64-Bit.

27. kleinfb

kleinfb

This is ridiculous! I have wasted a FORTUNE on this engine, and it is completely not possible to get work done in this way! I swear, I am keeping a log of all of the crashes I am getting, and the timespan between them, and the amount of work I am having to get redone because of those crashes.

I am at the verge of going for my rights! I dont freaking care if I am in another country or so, I will look for my rights. Dont come f-ing ask me for my computer specs, I have already sent a dozen reports! This is crap!

Go get that ridiculous work you have delivered fixed, instead of promising new features! Go work on the lame features and changes you made on this new version. Your ambition will be your ruin, I tell you! You should be ashamed of this lame product you have shoved down your clients throats!

28. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

I wish this forum had an up vote mechanism like Reddit so this thread could be up voted.

29. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

Today, instead of Unity making me a happy developer it is turning me into a stark raving mad homicidal maniac. It hangs about a thousand times a day. I loved it when I first got it but over the course of 9 months it has become the most expensive piece of S*** I've ever bought!!!!!

30. kleinfb

kleinfb

I agree, Dan...
    This is crap! This developers/producers should be ashamed of delivering such a product into the market... I will say it again.. instead of being greedy, and announcing new features and so, they should check if they have any morality in them, and fix the features that already exist, so this crappy expensive Unity Pro can work properly...

31. kleinfb

kleinfb

I mean, really.. can't anyone from this company come here and tell me "yes, we are aware of a huge number of users reporting crashes... we intend to deliver a fix to this crap we have released, in aprox. 'x' days"...

Just a "yeah, please, send a report, we will do it"... REALLY? Is this team so inconsiderate? I choose this tool to work, to make a living of it... I have paid for it, and I am not the only one which has been DECEIVED by it... am I going to get any answer? Am I going to get any reimbursement from all the hours of wasted work, due to the lack of quality of this expensive product I bought? I would really like to have any sort of answer for this.. other then some stupid "yeah, tell us your specs, we will get that done"... like this lame team does not know what is happening already...

Is there ANY prediction on when this errors will get fixed? I might as well go into vacation, because there is NO WAY one can work with such a crappy tool...

32. QA-for-life

QA-for-life

Unity Technologies

Hey,

Like mentioned in the thread earlier, we have fixed some memory issues in 4.2.1, so if you haven't already done that, please go and get it from the website.

In general, we are very concerned about these problems and we have used a lot of time trying to chase them down. Unfortunately, they are very erratic, so what might crash one machine with a project does not necessarily reproduce on another machine or in our QA labs. That makes it very hard to track down. So yes, we are looking into it, we just need more information about each of the machines where this is happening in order for us to get a repro.

33. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

I'm running the latest Unity with the following Assets:
    NGUI
    Prime 31 GoKit
    Prime 31 Store Kit
    Prime 31 Game Center
    Prime 31 GameCenter TurnBased
    FingerGestures

Here is my iMac SysInfo

34. Fliperamma

Fliperamma

Well, after couple hours of happiness Unity started to crash a lot again.

This new version is crashing less than the last one but It keeps crashing constantly when dealing with Android plugins (Flurry and Google OBB Downloader ( in my case) ..... well, crashes a lot.

So, Its crashing for me when:

- Unity gaining focus again (probably when auto-importing things) after editing / changing plugins

- Hit "Build" or "Build and Run"

- Hit "Browse Keystore"

- Sometimes when I try to open a file (C# file) by double-clicking it in the "Project" window

I'm reporting almost every time but this is a little bit stressing, so sometimes I just "force quit" and try to keep working. We have a project which is launching probably this week so I think you guys will understand me ...

My specs

Unity PRO 4.2.1f4 + iOS PRO + Android "Basic"

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac13,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Boot ROM Version: IM131.010A.B05
    SMC Version (system): 2.9f5

NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 512 MB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0fd8
    Revision ID: 0x00a2
    ROM Revision: 3707
    Displays:
    iMac:
    Display Type: LCD
    Resolution: 1920 x 1080
    Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Built-In: Yes
    Connection Type: DisplayPort

35. VladimirTa

VladimirTa

After updating to the new intel HD 4000 driver (9.18.10.3257) unity don't crash anymore on both PCs.

36. BrunoReX

BrunoReX

Thanks for the tip, I updated my HD4000 drivers for Windows 7 x64 to version 15.31.17.64.3257 and Unity is not crashing anymore.

------

Edit: It crashed when I tried to import this 3D model the first time, but I was able to import it after I launched Unity again.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  37. pavlito

pavlito

For now, it's the same for me, finally. But trying to export a package still crashes the editor. The previous version (4.2) crashed on many various things like creating a new animation, opening a script from within the editor, saving a scene, opening a scene...

38. frozenpepper

frozenpepper

Just updated to 4.2.1, (mainly for Xcode 5 support and windows phone 8), well every time a load a scene with some graphics in it unity crashes.... We have 6 computers with unity installed and it is happening on all of them.

The bastard thing is that even if i deleted unity 4.2.1, old version which before was working now doesn't work anymore when building (4.1.3)... . so i'm stuck ... all this while we need to release an urgent update to our game since it is not working correctly with new iPhones and iOS 7.

I really love unity, been using it since version 1.x, BUT many times i don't understand them... Why the hell spend time adding BLACKBERRY instead of fixing some of the bugs in the infinite list of bugs they have ?
    Also, changes / fixes list of version 4.2 is huge, for future releases it might be better to split all the changes across smaller updates so that if new problems arise for some users it is easier to understand the cause (in this thread a unity guy said that it was difficult to track the cause of the problems....).

Other examples :
    There is a huge bug with the italian keyboard layout which hasn't been fixed in the last 2 years and it affects a huge amount of players in italy.. we personally don't care much about it as we work on mobile, and for editor testing we use joysticks or remote, but many unity games for PC / Mac have bad reviews in italy due to it.

Asset server has been abandoned at the beginning of 3.x lifecycle with no notice for users, it has bugs, doesn't work well with ligthmaps or asset bundles shared in a team and much more... (but they continue making us pay for it).

And the list could go on for a long time.

Sorry for the rant it has been a long day importing, installing, de-installing, cursing......

EDIT : After further testing, I isolated our problem to "Scene view", if i have no scene view open i can work.... So now my workflow has Unity 4.1.3 and 4.2.1 opened together, i use old version for scene editing, create and export prefabs of modified stuff, import in Unity 4.2.1 and build from there.... (game view works)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  39. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

Yeah. I'm realy worried about the path Unity is going down by trying to support every platform. That is a breeding ground for bugs. They should pull every goddamn soul they got off further feature/platform development and have them work on fixing bugs.

40. kleinfb

kleinfb

That is because it has grown into them.. nastiest human "feature", greed... I really hope they take a hard blow on that... I am asking for my money back. Dont think I will get it, beacuse well.. I see they treat users like crap... but I will try... after a hard hard period, I finally finished up a project. Sure as hell I am not starting another one on this crap.

Hope you directors suffer the consequences. Really, really do.

41. kleinfb

kleinfb

wow, it is amazing!
    Still today I am getting new errors!

On a "stopped" scene.. not playing.. no GameObject selected:

transform.position assign attempt for 'SceneCamera' is not valid. Input position is { NaN, NaN, NaN }.
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

Just as I pass my mouse over the scene view, without even pressing anything I get that dozens of times...

*that is not the same project I was working on. It is a brand new project...

What a situation I put myself in by purchasing this crap... I am really going for more serious measures now.

42. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

You know, I'd sure like to know what percentage of Unity users are experiencing these constant crash / hangup problems. Or is it just us few who are posting about it here. I wonder if there is any way to run a survey.

43. kleinfb

kleinfb

My guess is that it is just us few users complaining in here... something really specific in our installed versions reacting to our hardwares, I am not sure... but it must be a really small number of users... just small enough not to require any respect or attention...

Sad but true.

44. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

I went and created a 10-question survey. Please fill it out and spread the word and hopefully we can get a better idea of the extent of this problem. And get some respect too.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/7SVJ8LJ

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  45. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

A few days ago I posted this survey to gather information on the crashing of Unity 4.x:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/7SVJ8LJ

There were 15 responses including mine. I think it is my duty to share the results with everybody. I wanted to do this as simply as possible by exporting the data as a PDF and linking to it. But it'd cost me 30 bucks to enable the export function (and I'm not about to pay that much). So I copied and pasted the data and because I didn't know where else to post it I put it on my old tumblr blog for all to see. And no this isn't a cheap trick of self promotion.

Here are the responses to the 10-question survey:

http://tokyodan.tumblr.com

46. Eron198200

Eron198200

Whenever I select something on my scene view unity crashes!

Unity 4.2.1
    Macbook Air i5
    Lion 10.8.4

47. frozenpepper

frozenpepper

Had the same problem, and thanks to the forum (another similar thread) i solved it (well not really, but at least i can work). Set graphic emulation to opengl 2.0 (if you are working for mobile), every time i set to 1.0 editor crashes when selecting objects in scene view.

Also, apparently they are abandoning OpenGL 1.0 in unity 4.3. (written in 4.2 release notes). This could be somehow connected.. What i know is that at the moment we are still using opengl 1

48. mulli

mulli

I have been having the same problem but Peppers fix worked and I think pepper is on the money!

This probably hasn't raised an eyebrow with the Unity people because it may only relate to opening an old unity project. When old projects are opened, OpenGL 1 emulation is likely to be on in the graphics emulation menu. However, new projects don't even give the option of choosing OpenGL 1. This could explain why it may be hard for others to replicate the bug when constructing new scenes.

If the dev team cannot replicate the bug based on my above advice please let us know and maybe one of us can provide you with a simple project that has the issue.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  49. AlexC4rter

AlexC4rter

how do you do the command prompt? please help

50. VladimirTa

VladimirTa

Read my instructions on page 2 :cool: