Search Unity

4.2 crash problems

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by benlawdavis, Jul 23, 2013.

1. benlawdavis

benlawdavis

Hello,

I just upgrade to 4.2 from 4.1.5 and now I cannot get Unity to work at all. Every time it loads it crashes before the editor can come up.

Scenario:

This morning I went to the unity website and downloaded 4.2.0. Download came down fine. went to install it and just like every upgrade I've done before unity automatically removes previous version then installs the new version. Once install had completed it prompted to upgrade my project. I agreed then nothing happened. Checked task manager and there was no unity instance running. Started unity again and it says a problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Restarted computer, tried unity again, got same error. Uniinstall/Re-install, try again, same error. Un-install, restart computer, re-install, try again, same error. Un-install, remove all temp file traces and registry traces, restart, re-install, try again same error.

Computer:
    Lenovo Yoga 13 Core i7, 8GB RAM, 256 SSD, intel 4000hd graphics

I am not sure what to do. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

2. userTrav

userTrav

Seems like the same issue I'm having. I'm on Windows 8.1 x64 (4.1.5 was running fine previously).

4.2 stops responding on loading a .png asset. If I load a project with hardly any assets, it's fine.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  3. benlawdavis

benlawdavis

I am on windows 8 64bit I forgot to mention but 4.1.5 was working fine when I was using it before on windows 8 so I am kinda just scratching my head. Not sure what to try next

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  4. HelloKity1231

HelloKity1231

Hey guys, i want to start a small project this summer.

I decided to use last version of Unity (4.2) but i see too much posts with bugs-errors.
    What happens? is really 4.2 full buged? if yes then how they publish it without test it?

Maby i have to wait 4.2.1 version?

PS: i don't want to start with buged version and after update whole project.

Please someone from unity3d answer me.

5. VladimirTa

VladimirTa

Same problem here,
    Unity 4.2 crashes when I load my old project and even when loading angry bots.
    When I create a new empty project without packages unity seems to be working normal, but when I try to load any package it crashes.

Can someone from Unity3D tell when the fix will be available?
    Thank.

Edit:
    Windows 8 Pro x64

6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

It's no different than usual. With as many developers as Unity has, it's inevitable that a percentage will have some kind of problem with every update. You never hear from all the rest who have no issues.

That's not to say that 4.2 is bug-free, to be sure, but "they published it without testing" is very very wrong.

--Eric

7. HelloKity1231

HelloKity1231

Yes "they published it without testing" was my mistake, how it is possible. :p sorry for that.

About bugs, i just wanted to ask if there is any serious bug.

8. benlawdavis

benlawdavis

I think for those where it is up and running, I think its working fine, but this is especially frustrating for me because I know that Unity is a great tool and I am learning it in an indie capacity for my own projects but also to evaluate its viability for future projects at work.

9. CheeseGoat

CheeseGoat

My projects are loading okay but when I try to bring up the asset store window it crashes.

10. userTrav

userTrav

For those crashing on project load(with Windows 8 ), I found a fix in the Unity Gossip form. I'm unable to test it myself at the moment.

11. userTrav

userTrav

I agree, but "testing" is a pretty big gray area. And large bugs that effect a decent amount of people makes a product look shoddy.
    It would be nice to see releases like these be more like an open/public beta.

12. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

I hope Unity is not becoming like Sony. When Sony made only a few things (TVs) the quality of their products was very high. But when they started making every electronic device under the sun the product quality got VERY low. I noticed this with the 1st Walkman - always in need of repairs. I'd be more assured if Unity only supported Mac, PC, iOS, Web and Android, instead of supporting all the gaming devices it is trying to support now. I can't help to think that they are spreading themselves too thin.

13. benlawdavis

benlawdavis

I just tried the -force-d3d11 and it allowed unity to start up so I guess I will use that for now

14. Mozes

Mozes

Hello,
    I have installed unity 4.2,
    The app loadup fine, after few minutes the app freeze.

That never happend with 4.1.5/3

What would be the best way to revert to older version without lossing my work ?

Thank you and awesome day

15. VladimirTa

VladimirTa

Just uninstall unity 4.2 and install the old one, your projects folder should stay untouched.
    Make a backup of your project folder just in case.

But if you already have upgraded your project to unity 4.2 it probably wont open on older versions.

16. displaynamehere

displaynamehere

I'm running on a Surface Pro and the -force-d3d11 switch worked for me.

17. Mozes

Mozes

I switched back to 4.1.5, Unfortunately, all projects that was opened in 4.2 got corrupted :(

Live and learn.

18. VladimirTa

VladimirTa

Just hope they will release a fix for this bug soon, because we will be publishing our game soon and we really would like to publish it to windows 8 phone and market too.

19. lucky_luke

lucky_luke

Exactly the same here like in post #1 :(

20. VladimirTa

VladimirTa

They don't get corrupted, they just have been upgraded to 4.2 and you should be able to open them in unity 4.2 or higher when they fix the bug.
    And you should always make backups of your projects, always. no one can know what can happen, HDD crash e.t.c

21. Mozes

Mozes

backup is something i tend to forget lol,
    when i open projects that was opend in 4.2 in 4.1.5 the file loos script connection, materials etc ..
    may be the projects are not "corrupted" but they needs to be rebuild.

22. HeronHuang

HeronHuang

Same issue on my Windows7 sp1 x64.
    Just found to swich from HD4000 to Nvidia 650M ,it works.So this problem maybe relate to HD4000's drviver in D3d9 mode.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  23. Halgridsson

Halgridsson

Wow, man, it actually worked. Thank you.

24. userTrav

userTrav

Might be on to something, also using HD4000.

25. bluecat

bluecat

i have win 7 64 and the intel HD4000 and Unity 4.2 crash, some solution?

26. Serapth

Serapth

Just logged in to report exactly the same thing.

Fresh install and it crashes on launch every time. Forced it to select the 765M instead of the HD4600 card and Bob's your uncle.

So my money says the crashing is due to Intel GPU.

27. userTrav

userTrav

Command line argument -force-d3d11 should fix your issue, mentioned earlier in the thread.

28. VladimirTa

VladimirTa

Yes, I am also using the Intel HD 4000 graphics, but the "-force-d3d11" workaround seems to be working good. :)

29. Code_Helix

Code_Helix

I can't get "-force-d3d11" to work for me as it says it doesn't recognize it in the command prompt or do I need a specific path for it. Unity crashes when opening the AngryBots project.

30. VladimirTa

VladimirTa

$1.JPG $2.JPG $3.JPG

Put it this way:p

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  31. Code_Helix

Code_Helix

Thanks! That worked!

32. CallMeViCtoR

CallMeViCtoR

im having an "unkown error" when i want to install unity 3d 4.2 on snow leopard i dont know if is has anything to do with the integrated gpu x3100 or something

33. alicemenezes

alicemenezes

Hello,

Yes this is working. Nice information i git.

Thanks

34. bluecat

bluecat

the command "-force-d3d11" work in a OS with directx 9?

35. Kuba

Kuba

Hey guys,

Could you please report bugs (Help > Report a Bug)? This will allow us to gather more detailed hardware stats and hopefully reproduce the issue here. Any repro projects would be helpful as well (vladimirta89 mentioned that it happens on AngryBots, but getting more won't hurt).

36. VladimirTa

VladimirTa

I have sent a bug report with detailed description how it happens and attached a little video showing the bug.
    Hope this helps fix it. :)

37. samosurface

samosurface

i've tried but even the app send bug is not even lauch anything... i'm not on Windows 8.1 i'm on windows 8 on surface pro 64 G.... the -force-d3d11 not working the unity is freezen just when i trie to make it full screen... i can t open any menus... i started just a new empty project... i'm going to try with the other one -force-opengl...

38. benlawdavis

benlawdavis

I also sent in a bug report when it first happened. I now have 2 different shortcuts one with the dx11 force and one without. The force dx11 always works but now instead of just crashing the regular link sometimes crashes and other times goes in and lets me play

39. PhobicVOid

PhobicVOid

everytime i add a model it crashes unity

40. Kuba

Kuba

@vladimirta89, @benlawdavis: Thanks for reporting the issue. Could you give us case numbers here? I can't seem to find your cases in the database.

@samosurface: we have a bug open on Unity having issues on Surface Pro, so we'll get to it soon.

41. benlawdavis

benlawdavis

case 553301

42. ozOracle

ozOracle

I faced the same issue when I upgraded to Unity 4.2 on Windows 7 64-bit.

I made a fresh installation of Windows 7 32-bit in my PC in a separate drive (dual boot) and installed Unity 4.2 on it. It worked perfectly.

I pray the next version of Unity won't force me to install Windows in a third drive :D

43. Afisicos

Afisicos

Hello.

I'm having the same issue with a Sony Vaio Duo 13 with an Intel HD 4200.

I though it was because I use windows 8, and I though install windows 7.

However, as I have seen that post, I will try the -forced execution.

Thanks.

44. VladimirTa

VladimirTa

Oh, I am so sorry, I missed that.
    Hope it is not too late. :rolleyes:

Case 554127

45. kingofasgard

kingofasgard

But Unity 4.2 is crashing daily 20 times, and it unpredictable when it will crash. sometimes saving a scene is making a crash. really most annoying bug is crashing randomly. And yeah but we should not publish it with so many crash issues! it is affect me big time.

46. pengo

pengo

Case 554923. same issue, -force-d3d11 fixes it and has been stable.

47. Sarudan

Sarudan

I've noticed that this crash occurs when loading textures which have dimensions that are non power of 2. Killing Unity, fixing the texture resolution, and reloading allows it to import correctly.

This may not work for all the import issues, but it solved mine.

48. DoktorAce

DoktorAce

I've also experienced these crashes ever since I updated to 4.2. (Case 555292)

I have the latest Mac Book Pro Retina 13", and Unity 4.1 was very fast and worked really well, but since I updated to 4.2, it crashes constantly. Trying to switch scenes, open textures, or edit scripts. It all seems a bit random though.
    It also takes 1-3 minutes to open up a script in MonoDevelop, where as this was done instantly in 4.1.

I'm running the free version of Unity. The macs at my work is running pro, and they don't seem to have this problem. Although none have the exact same specs as mine does.

It is impeding my work :(

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  49. dixitalgorismi

dixitalgorismi

Also on a Surface Pro with Windows 8 x64 here. 4.1.5f worked flawless, 4.2.0f crashed at startup. The -force-d3d11 option fixed it. At least it started to convert the project. Keeping you updated if it's a real fix. Thanks for your info userTrav!

EDIT: Could successfully import the project after applying the orce option. Had to remove it later though because of shader errors wth the dx11 option the surface pro gfx card.

Now works even without frce options.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  50. McMayhem

McMayhem

Case: 557207

I'm having the same issue as the first poster, and I even made a thread of my own about it. I've now been unable to access unity 4.2 for almost a week. I've tried everything documented in this thread with no luck. I understand "Unity is going to have bugs" and "Many people don't have issues with 4.2" but the fact is I'm a paying customer, and it's just not right to have a product out that doesn't work.

It wouldn't be such a big issue if so much of the Unity Assets store did not require Unity 4.2. I adore Unity and recommend it to everyone I know in this area, but this kind of stuff really bothers me.