Search Unity

4.1 is here!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aurore, Mar 14, 2013.

1. _Max_

_Max_

As this program is getting popular each day I'm sure more and more people are starting to use it and constant bug fixing going on.
    I agree that there should be feature releases and smaller bug releases.
    Maybe a new update mechanism in place could improve things.

We got to understand especially with mobile devices they are evolving all the time and high demand is on mobile.
    Therefore fixing mobile issues is a priority.

As Im starting a new project on Mac and from scratch I probably will not notice the effects or issues as reported by some, it seems to me the main issue is people upgrading quickly and finding things in projects have broken..

2. OmarAlhaddad

OmarAlhaddad

I love you

3. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

4. Amon

Amon

5. Arowx

Arowx

Wow that was fast, Good work Unity!

Is there any way you could look into using a patch based installer, 659Mb is a bit much for a micro release?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  6. taumel

taumel

Doesn't change anything, Unity still freezes/hangs.

7. Amon

Amon

Where? When you're doing what?

You do moan a lot, don't you? You seem, with every release, to rain down your dissatisfaction with unity like a monsoon that never ends. Why?

Are you still using Unity for commercial purposes?

You strike me as a person who is never satisfied and never happy no matter what Unity do!

8. Dantus

Dantus

9. Aurore

Aurore

Amon cool your socks :p but there is a point in there, taumel did you bug it, please post a bug number. If it's broken we can't fix it if it's not reported.

10. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

I didn't use the previous version much (haven't had time) but i just updated to this one, created a new project, switched to DX11 to see if asset store still wasn't working for me under DX11 (it still isn't) , went afk a couple minuts, and came back finding unity had crashed which pretty much never happened to me before (only happened when importing VERY large models before, like a 18million face model i have), so definately a new crash there and it was doing nothing on an empty project!

11. taumel

taumel

@Amon
    I could write something reasonable but it wouldn't change a thing about that you have no idea what you're talking about, so there is no reason to bother.

It's interesting to see how someone employed by Unity reacts to critical issues which prevent the usage of Unity.

12. Aurore

Aurore

@taumel If you don't tell us the problem, there is nothing we can do about it and that's that.

13. taumel

taumel

14. Aurore

Aurore

Thanks for the report

15. WarbladerToo

WarbladerToo

Well I downloaded 4.1.1 and installed that just to see if the switching platform on a "bigish" old project was fixed. But as soon as I clicked on the "Switch Platform" button the new version crashed just as bad as 4.1.0 version. I created a new empty project to test. Switching platform was working on an empty project. I then imported the 2D Toolkit from the store and added in some png files and made a new sprite atlas. Placed a sprite on the screen and switching platform was still ok. I then opened up the store again and selected NGUI, clicked on import and it started downloading and then unity crashed. The bug reporter appeared and I filled in some info and included the test project, clicked on submit and now the uploading of the files is stuck at half way. Unzipped size of test project is 78 MB, so I recon the file it's sending is about half that size. hey!! it just completed... went from 50% to 100% in one go.... nice

EDIT: The main app (unity) was still hanging and had to be force quit.

EDIT 2 : Started 4.1.1 again and it seem to be continuing installing NGUI. Tested platform switching again and it seem to be OK.

Then I opened up the asset store again and selected Easy Save 2 (as this was another plugin I had in my main game project) and as soon as clicked on import unity crashed again. Bug rapport sent again.

EDIT 3 : Easy Save 2 plugin seem to be impossible to use with v4.1.1. unity crashes each time.

EDIT 4: unity 4.1.1 is crashing on every import of assets from the asset store. When restarting it will continue import and the plugin seem to be ok. This can be done over and over and unity 4.1.1 crashes every time.

16. Gargi

Gargi

17. agentsmith

agentsmith

18. jashan

jashan

Whooops, that's interesting. I filed a bug report today using Unity 3.5.7. It crashed when I updated NGUI from the Asset Store.

Is there maybe a problem with the Asset Store?

(Case 533911) -e Updated NGUI then Unity crashed

... btw ... the bug reporter adds "-e" to the title. I didn't do that ;-)

19. Metron

Metron

Ok... @Unity: Now please do a favor to everyone and separate the demo project from Unity itself. I think I'm not the only one who's requesting this...

20. onevcat

onevcat

+1 Me too, the same. Mac OSX 10.8.3 and 2010 MacBookPro. And I tried format my Mac and reinstalled everything but with no luck. Also tried Unity4.0, the same. Now I can not use profiler at all. Some one please help...

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  21. Cecilie

Cecilie

Unity Technologies

Hi all

For those of you who are experiencing profiler related issues to OSX and Unity 4.1 see below:

Our developers have looked at this issue and they say that it is related to the GPU timer queries. This means that it is something that only Apple can fix. We will report this to Apple, but we can not guarantee that the issue will be solved. If the issue will affect many users, what we can do is to disable the GPU profiling with specific graphic cards/OS X.

The graphic card in question seems to be:
    -NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR3 memory on 2.4GHz and 2.53GHz configurations; or 512MB of GDDR3 memory on 2.66GHz configuration
    - Intel HD Graphics with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory5

If you have this issue based on the above mentioned graphic cards please submit a bug and PM me the case number so we can get a better idea of how many users are experiencing this issue.

Thanks!

Cecilie,
    QA

22. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

For my knowledge (i'm not affected by this bug being on windows) , what's a gpu timer query?

23. Cecilie

Cecilie

Unity Technologies

GPU timer queries are (simply said) for determining how long it takes for the GPU to execute a command made by the CPU. This, as you've might have guessed, is used in the profiling feature in Unity.

24. more

more

I'm experiencing profiler hangs/crashes,
    Macbook Pro OsX with GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

So perhaps you are underestimating the number of cards affected. Reading this thread has been discouraging - I'm starting to worry about the tone coming from Unity - shouldn't this be fixed even if it is affecting only one user? and even if apple has something to change, shouldn't Unity make it work in the meantime? Profiler was working fine on 3.5.7

25. squared55

squared55

you're not. :)

I'm on a bandwidth limit, and I'd really appreciate it if the download sizes were kept to a minimum.

26. Myhijim

Myhijim

+1

I only got 6GB :S

27. Cecilie

Cecilie

Unity Technologies

We do have a temporary 'fix' on the way which should be released soon on the website.

28. Kunani

Kunani

I have the same issues and the same card as more: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB