Search Unity

4.1 is here!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aurore, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Jerware

Jerware

+1

2. ZJP

ZJP

:D
    My dream....

3. Pheck

Pheck

GPU profile doesnt work for me either.

Nvidia GTX 580 with the newest drivers... :(

4. pvloon

pvloon

Indeed having GPU profiler issues.

Other than that, thanks unity! :) Don't let all complaints about the new GUI get you down, I love the short cycle development! Rather have unity 4.1 now (with sweet sweet shader stuff!) than having to wait ages just so it contains the new GUI. Keep em coming!

5. BigB

BigB

Anything on the avoidance obstacles for 4.2 ?
    I have seen in a blog post that you guys have it working carving directly from the navmesh.
    The ones that we have now are useless, agents just slide around them, looks horrible.

Thanks

6. BBRome

BBRome

Sorry but:
    - Back to 4.0xx (stable for us)
    - Deleted 4.1
    - 2 hours about 10 crash
    - Waiting Again importing assets...
    - We need to make money producing games not waste time...
    - U PRO Android PRO IOS PRO 4.500 $ + Upgrade
    - We were expecting a 4.1 release very different and well tested

However Unity is the best

7. KyleStaves

KyleStaves

Not disappointed about the lack of GUI - not expecting that until 4.5 to be honest. However, I am pretty disappointed we didn't get any sort of Mecanim event system outside of animation curves in 4.1

Heck, a simple "set this parameter when this transition starts / completes" would be super useful until we can get something more robust. It seems like Unity is very reliant on polling still as opposed to event driven systems, which is a real shame. I really, really don't hope they go the route of "Well, there's a $30 asset store plugin that kinda handles events - let's drop the priority of this and get to it... eventually..."

8. rextr09

rextr09

Thanks, now waiting for Windows Phone 8 support :)

9. SteveJ

SteveJ

Is anyone else having problems downloading the MacOS version? I got the Windows one without issues, but I've tried the MacOS version three times and it always cuts off at about 200MB.

10. Dantus

Dantus

Is this really true? I asked that question in the past, and the official answer from developers was always that bugs should only be reported once...

11. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

I don't have a problem with a short release. I have a BIG problem with small features, and hey it's time to upgrade to 5.0. New GUI coming soon!!

12. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

My guess is: internally they only want to have one copy of a bug, but the bug might have gotten lost in the system somewhere, or they might think they've already fixed it when really they haven't, or they might think it no longer affects the present codebase, or whatever. So instead of reporting nothing and just hoping that the bug is still on their radar, report it again and make sure it's on their radar. The worst that will happen is that the QA team will close your new report as a duplicate.

13. jwinn

jwinn

I did a Ctrl-F through the full release notes just to be sure.
    [Another squeaky wheel in support]

14. Teeleton

Teeleton

Git Integration with MonoDevelop is borked. Throws an exception on load if you use msysgit for revision control on your project. Submitted the bug.

EDIT: Went and upgraded git from 1.7.8 to 1.8.1 and forced a commit. Now it all seems to be working again. *shrug*

Replied to the bug email and told them what I did and that they can close it.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  15. goldbug

goldbug

16. Amon

Amon

So far its crashed 7 times for me, 80% of the crashes are during exiting/shutdown of Unity! The rest are just random.

This never happened with 4.01!

17. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Are folks who are having GPU profiler not working all using DX11 on Windows? I think I found a bug that accidentally disabled GPU profiling, but only when using DX11. "whoops".

18. Tiles

Tiles

/me smells a 4.1.1 update soon ...

Some bugs you can report a thousand times. And they go on to last since 2.6 ...

19. Metron

Metron

Yepp... confirmed... when I disable DX11 rendering, the profiler works...

20. Tiles

Tiles

Like the one with the lightmap packing. Any chance that the formerly reported bug about broken lightmap packing will be fixed? I didn`t report it, but i remember a discussion about this issue. There`s lots of wasted space at the moment.

Curious enough not at all levels. But at this one here it`s extreme.

EDIT, found an even extremer example, and added a shot. What was 3 lightmaps in Unity 3.5 is now 10 lightmaps, with 7 completely black lightmaps.

I think i will have a look if i can manage to create a bug report for that one. Unfortunately the project is about 2 gigs now ..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  21. Bluestrike

Bluestrike

hmm it broke loadlevel when its in a GUI or something?
    Can't load any levels after my main menu level ...
    No errors in console and I can't upload a 7 gig project...

22. Dantus

Dantus

My point of view is usually that I don't want to spam them with duplicates and waste their time. But in the same way, I expect that Unity doesn't waste my time by forgetting my open bug reports. I don't want to be annoying to be heard. If they close a report and I find out that it is still happening, I open it again, by replying and explaining what is still wrong.
    I still don't understand how Unity handles bugs internally. I actually stopped to make reproductions of bugs that take me more than a few minutes, just because I have the impression that they don't work on them anyway. The important word here is "impression", I don't say that this is actually the case, but it feels like that.

23. Tiles

Tiles

The only weapon that we have is indeed to bug and spam the Unity folks. That`s unfortunately how they want it to be.

24. Dantus

Dantus

I fear that's true. Not too long ago I had the impression that they are improving the overall process, but beside some positive signals at first, I didn't have the impression that anything really positive happened. I just don't get it.
    I have a bug which is more than 1.5 years old now. It actually took me days to figure out what is going on and instead of submitting Unity a huge project and wasting their time, I made the mistake to create the smallest possible reproduction. Status open, was closed once, even if the problem still existed. So I opened it again and I send them mails from time to time to ask about the status which is that a programmer is responsible for it. Even if the bug is probably not easy to solve, this kind of communication is ridiculous. Tell me that it is not planned to resolve the bug in the coming releases or something like that.
    Even worse is a documentation bug that I submitted about 8 months ago. It would take them a few minutes to get rid of it, but the status is still open. I am very sorry, but this is not professional!

I love Unity! It is an amazing piece of software and I wouldn't want to miss it. I make a living by producing applications with Unity. But the way they handle bug reports is a shame!

25. Metron

Metron

Or they start and have a public bug list where we can actually see what has already been reported and what is open...

26. Tiles

Tiles

Lucky you. I have bugs from 2.6 that are still marked as open :)

They will not do that. This would put them under the pressure that they would have to fix all reported bugs. For a company there are important bugs, and not so important bugs. Fixing bugs costs money and manpower. And a company has to care about not to waste this.

Of course this is very nearsighted. The more bugs are in the software, the more user are unhappy with it. And ideally the bug count is against zero from the user side. But i`ve seen this too often. It seems to pay off to ignore bugs.

27. UnityCoder

UnityCoder

I dont know much about substances but in 4.1 now its available for mobile devices. I also saw some videos on youtube. But i dont know how to make substances. So anybody having any link for that?

28. Dantus

Dantus

I don't care that there are still open bugs. What's not acceptable from my point of view is the communication.

29. Moonjump

Moonjump

I like the idea of more regular updates that push out stuff when they are ready, but it amplifies the need to make the default project optional. I have never used a default project, but I have used a lot of bandwidth downloading them every time over the last few years, and had space taken up on my drive.

30. pkid

pkid

You have to buy a separate program called substance designer to make your own. Most people buy pre-made substances on the asset store or turbosquid.

31. Dantus

Dantus

Beside the substance designer, there is also Bitmap2Material in the Asset Store. I don't have it yet, but it looks very impressing.

32. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Nice update.
    It would be very beneficial for all if in the following days we see more examples on how to use the new features, the two new blog posts are very interesting.

33. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Yeah i'd like to see this too, especially as Unity itself keeps growing, plus the Mac versions are 30% bigger than Windows.

34. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Fantastic update, Great work Unity Team.

The new improved profiler is really awesome. Airplay is also great. New substance engine for mobile textures is wonderful. Mecanim recording API and improved features is also Fantastic.

We are doing lots of animations and Migrating to Mecanim has been quite a journey mixed with quite a bit of pain but also joys. One small request that will help us tremendously, can the Mecanim team add an animation Event System. The work around mecanim event script on the asset store seems like a duct-tape fix stuck on a very elegant Mecanim Rolex. Please do Mecanim justice.

35. TerrainBuilder

TerrainBuilder

Yeah, awesome :)

36. haggis

haggis

Just updated to 4.1 and having problems opening the profiler. As soon as I do Unity grinds to a halt, taking approximately 30-60 seconds to react to a mouse click. When I close the profiler everything is back to normal again.

I'm running Mac OS 10.8.3 on a 2009 Macbook pro. Any advice?

Otherwise everything else is running smoothly and current project built to Xcode 4.6.1 with no hiccups :)

37. GiusCo

GiusCo

I fully agree, please make the default prjoect optional... it's 1GB (Mac) + 700MB (Win), really too much, too long and extremely bandwidth consuming.

38. taumel

taumel

* release! * up the usage of old and new versions of Unity. Anyone doing beta testing anymore?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  39. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

Thanks for the feedback, although I sort of new. Just a look at the support threads show problems with numerous aspects of this release.

I, wrongly, normally update as soon as the 'new available release' box pops up.... I'm glad I missed this one until after I visited the forum.

- Matt.

40. tatoforever

tatoforever

Your ability to spot unity flaws, bugs and input feedback are beyond my imagination. Why don't you join the beta list and report bugs to make Unity better instead of complaining all the time? :rolleyes:

41. SevenBits

SevenBits

Absolutely brilliant idea! :eek:

42. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

Whilst not the most eloquently put from Taumel, I must admit that this release does seem a bit below par with some easy to find issues (like .exe crashing when quitting an app) getting through the net. Hopefully we will get a bug fix update v. shortly.

43. tatoforever

tatoforever

I have no doubts about it, Unity now is releasing smaller - shorter updates so people can get their bugs fixed faster instead of waiting for some huge major updates.

44. agentsmith

agentsmith

I'm also experiencing Unity (Pro) 4.1 crashing on platform switch. If I create a new (empty) project I can switch platforms; my project is 4.0 (converted?) to 4.1.

Windows 7 x64
    i7 2600k
    16GB RAM

@Unity - if you fix this problem we need a beta build asap, please!

UPDATE:

I found a workaround that worked for us:

1) Open your project

2) Create a new (empty) Scene (we didn't have to save it)

3) Goto Build Settings --> Switch Platforms

4) Open your original scene that was causing the crash

Update 2:

I should mention this "switch platform" bug doesn't happen on my Mac Mini (bought new a few weeks old whatever that hardware version is)
    i7 2.3 GHz
    OSX v10.8.2

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  45. Adrenaline-Crew

Adrenaline-Crew

Yeah, Unity crashes on my MAC when i switch to iOS. I can switch to Android fine, as well another project works in iOS fine... soooooo yeah...

46. taumel

taumel

@tatoforever
    Dude, i have no need to complain on this forum but not testing with the relevant OS versions, pushing out updates without testing them good enough and on top of that with serious issues which prevent you to continue to work properly is beyond what you're even used to from Unity. Aspects like the releases in which you step way too easy into bugs, the information policy when things don't work out as expected, the support how to get things running again or how to workaround in such scenarios is just on a mediocre level/non existent, despite all the success the software has.

Why is this so? Why do we, despite all the money Unity makes, still don't get properly tested&released software/support?

Changing machine and version really doesn't sound like the preferable way to go in this case to me. Therefore i'm upset.

[And the last thing i wanna hear is that it works on Brucey's machine.]

47. NTDC-DEV

NTDC-DEV

@taumel, &all

Does it means that the new webplayer break pre-4.1 projects? If so, I'm disapointed too.

If not, then you have a pre 4.1 backup of your project and can revert to 4.01 which is stable from last I heard. Let's not forget that you should never upgrade the engine during project production unless you absolutely need it.

48. taumel

taumel

In my case the old webplayer content still works, it's just that, at least on my primary machine, i can't use the IDE anymore, no matter if it's the latest version or if i return to an older one (v4.x) again - Apple's spinning wheel for seconds every few seconds and with each interaction, the system got simply unusable Unity related.

I know that you shouldn't update with an existing project which i did not but i thought after quite some time passed since the last release they finally took their time and things would be more reliable plus i didn't expect that going back to the predecessor wouldn't change a thing as well. It certainly was my fault that i didn't check the forum upfront though.

And all this after i was in a zen like mood with 4.0.1 for weeks, nay months, nay years ...

49. devbr

devbr

My Unity 4.1 (Pro) is crashing on platform switch to Web.

Environment: Mac.

*UPDATE:

I just switched to Standalone and now I can switch to any platform without crashing.

So odd...

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  50. tatoforever

tatoforever

I'm on the alpha/beta list but I can't open my mouth to calm down those people. Can any of Unity guys reply to this thread? :rolleyes: