Search Unity

3rd Person Character Controller and Terrain

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Dave3of5, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Dave3of5

Dave3of5

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked a few times before but for some reason my third person character isn't able to walk properly over my terrain. He walks over the flat part of the terrain with no problem but he can't walk over any edited height parts of my terrain. He walks as if the terrain is completely flat. Anyone seen this before.

I am using all the standard unity asset (unity 5). So that's the standard unity terrain, standard 3rd person controller ... etc. My model is from mixamo don't know if that makes any difference but I'll check after this.

Here is a screenshot of the effect.

Thanks again for the help.

David

Attached Files:

2. Dave3of5

Dave3of5

Anybody got any idea on this I'm struggling a bit here :-(

David

3. Dave3of5

Dave3of5

Found out what was wrong.

It seemed that unity had not properly applied the collided for the terrain when I modified it. I seen that after I modified the terrain there was a few jobs down the bottom right running (system something or other). After this ran I still had the problem. I restarted unity and seen a flash of some job running (couldn't tell what it was) and then the collider for the terrain updated and my character could walk/run correctly on the terrain.

So the old saying turn it off and on again really does work ;-)

David

UltraRad likes this.
  4. yuanxing_cai

yuanxing_cai

Unity Technologies

Hi! This bug has been fixed in the latest release (5.0.1).

5. Dave3of5

Dave3of5

EDIT: Nevermind my editor has been complaining about this update for me but never letting me download it guess I will have to download this manually.

David

6. bhoffman67

bhoffman67

Same exact situation here, using 2020.3.9f1