Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

3DSMax to Unity Import Issue

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by zumwalt, Jun 27, 2015.

1. zumwalt

zumwalt

So, I have a model that is done in Max 2016, i simply try to let Unity do the work for importing, that at least keeps the textures, or i try to do the FBX export then import into unity but in both cases, unity dorks up the model very badly. See the two attached images, if you have any possible way to let me know what I need to do from Max to Unity to get it to come into Unity the way it exists in Max, that would be great! Top image is Unity's representation of what is in the bottom image which is what is in Max.
    IMG_UNITY.JPG IMG_MAX.JPG

2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Try reset xform on your model in 3ds max.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  3. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Yep and you'll probably have to unify the normals after xform has been reset.
    All static assets should be clean on the modifier stack also - collapsed down to an editable mesh or editable poly prior to export.

OllyNicholson likes this.
  4. zumwalt

zumwalt

Thanks, about half the model is flipped on the X axis, a few on the Y axis also, from what I can tell none on the Z though.
    Not sure at the moment how to do what you are asking but thankfully I have Google :) will see what I can see.

5. zumwalt

zumwalt

Ya that is a problem, the xform reset wouldn't let me grab the entire model worth of sub parts and reset it, to many child objects error. So, next thing was to simply flip the X axis on all the sub parts that was flipped wrong. Then downscale to fit the scene. Created a new prefab, broke it off the other, applied it to the new prefab, that means that if I have work done to the original model, I have to repeat the process, *shrugs* at least I got the model to look right and I finally am getting the scene the way I need it. Thanks for the pointers.

6. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

A sane and streamlined workflow is surely something you want to consider going forward.
    Especially with complex models and scenes.

I personally prefer to make all changes to assets outside of Unity - so there are no discrepancies between original and imported assets, beyond the Unity specific setups which are unavoidable.

A small suggestion - if assets are going to be static - imo combining them together before import is optimal.

OllyNicholson likes this.