Search Unity

3DSMax Physique causes tearing in model

Discussion in 'Animation' started by victorkhugo, Feb 4, 2015.

1. victorkhugo

victorkhugo

I made a Physique rigged character in 3DSMax. He plays fine in 3DSMax, but when I import him into Unity the preview animation shows the bones deforming only some of the mesh. It looks like it does in Max when you don't have your Physique envelopes adjusted properly and some of the mesh stays behind while the rest moves.

Are there bone envelopes I need to adjust in Unity? I tried an earlier version of the FBX exporter, but that didn't help.

Thanks.

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

There are a couple reasons the deformations might not be working as they should. One may be there are too many bones influencing areas of your mesh.
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/Preparingacharacterfromscratch.html
    Sticking to a maximum of four influences when using a soft bind, since this is the maximum number that Unity will handle. If more than four influences affect part of the mesh then at least some information will be lost when playing the animation in Unity.

Another reason is Physique is an outdated skin binding modifier which hasn't been updated for a long - long time (Max 6 or possibly earlier).

Best option forward is to use the skin modifier instead of physique. Personal opinion -> it's best not to attempt fixes in Unity when the initial problem can be fixed in the original animation package.

Skin is your best option to get the proper deformations in Unity.

There are a couple tools/plugins (not sure if they are current) around the web that can convert the physique modifier to a skin modifier.

The skin modifier has a lot of advanced skinning tools which are far superior to physique.

One temporary workaround you may consider is to set all your skin weights to rigid in physique. This will cause some pretty ulgy deformations in most bendy areas, but it could work if you have a character that is a rigid type character (mech, box man, metal guy) as opposed to a fleshy meat bag that requires soft deformations over the joint areas.

Good luck. I switched to the skin modifier when they updated the bone tools in Max 4 and I'm glad I decided to make the switch even though I was very good at setting up skin weights in physique.