Search Unity

3DS CAT Animation root motion (applied twice)

Discussion in 'Animation' started by fjhamming_CleVR, Jul 23, 2015.

1. fjhamming_CleVR

fjhamming_CleVR

Hi,

I've created a walking cycle in CAT using a cat motion layer. And I've configured an additional bone that is the root motion for the character. However the root motion is applied correctly, the character also moves the same amount forward again (moving twice as fast as a result).

Does anyone have an idea of how to use CAT animation (motion) in combination with root motion? An approach that has acceptable results for me is to create a separate root motion dummy that is not linked to the root motion. Animate the dummy over time to follow the original root motion and then check the walk in place function on the cat motion layer before I export. But this beats the advantage of root motion animation and interaction with other objects.

By the way i'm quite new with cat animation.

IgorAherne likes this.
  2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Sounds like you animated the root - then parented the root to a null and animated the new root .
    If so - don't do that.
    If not - remove the root motion from the original root then animate the new root and export. That should work. If you are still getting multiplied locomotion in Unity something is setup incorrectly in Unity.

Might want to also do a text export out of Max then back into Max to see if it works properly before putting it into Unity. If it works properly in Max then there is something in Unity setup incorrectly.
    If the multiplying effect is still on the character, the problem still lies in the rig.

There should not be any transformation keys on the original root - that is now not the root.

3. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

Thank you for answer,
    But, I though we must keyframe the root, otherwise there will be no root motion?

I have the same issue and bashing my head for several days already

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  4. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

Holy f*ck!! I've solved it.

Basically it's all to do with an avatar that your animator is using.

For example, I've set the CatRig's exported model to use Hub001 (its pelvis) as a root bone. I was getting root motion working, but as OP said, the animation would be applied sort-of-twice, resulting in the character being "pushed out" from its "carrying-game object that appeared to be correctly root-motion-driven".

Issue was with me that I've exported the CAT rig in T-pose, and used its avatar in an animator.
    Instead, we must use an avatar from a file that was exported with an animation already playing. (perhaps it has something to do with Rig-setup and Animation mode of CAT)

I should have used avatar from @myCharacterIdle.fbx instead.

Never use avatars from a model that was exported while being in the Rig-Setup mode.

So just drag-and-drop avatar from one of the animation-fbx into your animator, and you are good.

So, to sum-up, check:
    1) avatar (both in fbx and the animator component on your prefab) are good
    2) your prefab uses correct skeleton, and such a skeleton does not come from a Rig-Setup-Mode T-pose fbx, but from a legit animation-fbx
    3) that the skeletons of your animation-fbx assets have identical names and hierarchy order.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  5. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Glad you found the solution.
    Might be something with CAT rig. With custom rigs and biped avatars from Tpose and anim fbx file are exactly the same - as far as I can tell without looking at the binary information.

6. Trecool182

Trecool182

Holy sh*t THANK YOU

I've been hitting my head on the wall for the past 48h. Can't believe the solution was that simple and weird, as both avatar should indeed technically be the same.

IgorAherne likes this.
  7. IgorAherne

IgorAherne