Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want more efficiency in your development work? Sign up to receive weekly tech and creative know-how from Unity experts.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Build games and experiences that can load instantly and without install. Explore the Project Tiny Preview today!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

3DForge Exteriors

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by S4G4N, Apr 6, 2015.

1. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi,

Love to see on twitter and now here what you guys are up to.
    You doing great work.

I am busy with BLUEPRINTS and in the process seeing some small items that are Market Place related, with some nice kiosks, stalls and so forth as well as some Village Entrance stuff that I am sure your project will like to even use.
    It is a FREE Exteriors Kit Update that I will show images for soon. They will really add lots more to building Outposts, Fortifications, Small Villages and Community Markets, Harbours and Trade areas.

Thanks for showing your work, you most welcome :)

Cheers
    Cobus

Trungdv, mtornio, Juveburns11 and 5 others like this.
  2. InvertedCat

InvertedCat

That sounds amazing! really looking forward to the update, you're the best Cobus, as usual. You should post some previews when you can, I bet everyone in here would love to see those.

S4G4N likes this.
  3. InvertedCat

InvertedCat

Time to bump the thread!

We started adding our own custom meshes to go along the 3d forge exteriors. As you can see, they fit pretty well into the existing building components and make a nice early tier townhall.

upload_2018-6-2_20-48-53.png

Shawn67, kittik, smada-luap and 3 others like this.
  4. smada-luap

smada-luap

Very nice :cool:

S4G4N likes this.
  5. GrassWhooper

GrassWhooper

hey there quick question, i got, so recently, i got to start working with roofs,
    and i am trying to assemble my own buildings, so i am wondering how do roofs fit with everything?
    i noticed that,
    Floors, then interior walls stand on top (inside) of the floor tile, and the exterior walls, stand right outside of the floor.
    but for roofs, i am unsure, how to handle them.

upload_2018-7-13_10-30-15.png

i tried, combining the Extentions Roofs, along with the L/T Roofs, to assemble a full roof, but i always find, that i end up with empty spaces like that?
    note that, my house is 4x10, and the floors i am using at 2.5x and 2.5z
    any helpful, tips would be cool.
    i hoped to be able to figure it out myself, but i am apparently failing hard :D

another issue, i noticed that
    trying to use Object 2 Object snapping from Octave3D, on the L Roofs, and Extentions Roof, they just, never allign, not sure if this is an issue on my end (i am sure it is not Octave3D Fault, as the Object to Object Snapping works almost everywhere else).

(by the way, some level design videos, by your assets, would be really nice to watch, (especially if they're accompanied by Octave3D (which is the system i am using, for snapping and whatnot))

S4G4N likes this.
  6. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi,

Can you possibly give more images, just this top view seems very limited.

What does appear to be wrong looking at this for now is that the upright posts that are on the corner of the floor is inwards + - 1/3 of a tile
    If both the top and bottom ones are moved by that amount there is a fill segment gap that can then be filled with what is in the package.

Here is an image of what I am trying to explain with the limited images info I have :)

Cheers
    Cobus

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    GrassWhooper likes this.
  7. GrassWhooper

GrassWhooper

thanks, for the explanation, looking at the image, it totally made sense to me :)
    and yes, putting the pole, on top of the walls corner it does appear to line up without extra spaces like that.
    by the way, can you give some tips, on how to align, that roof pole to the wall corner using Octave3D?
    i found that, simply raising up the Grid into the same level, and using object to object snap, doesn't mesh out well with that(grid is 2.5x2.5)

S4G4N likes this.
  8. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi,

I am glad that helped :)
    Lots of the time you do not have to move stuff around at all.
    Try this > Lets build a 2x3 house

Here are the few basic steps as they would happen in order :)

Step1: VERY IMPORTANT for they have been exported to be 100% in the correct 3D space
    Drop items into the Hierarchy, not just into the scene.
    GREEN items already in correct 3D Space
    - Drag & drop 2X3 Plinth into Hierarchy
    - Drag & drop Core Blocks 2X3 into hierarchy
    - Drag & drop Core Blocks Roof 2X3 into hierarchy
    They now PERFECTLY aligned, no need to moving or snapping

Step2: Drop items into the Hierarchy, not just into the scene.
    This will ensure that they already at the correct height at least.
    - Drag & drop the desired Wall parts and move them close the correct spot
    - Drag & drop the desired Tries parts and move them close the correct spot
    - Using Vertex Snapping snap them easily into place onto the CORE BLOCKS
    These core blocks serve as guide/snapping items and will be deleted at the end
    They now PERFECTLY aligned

Step3: VERY IMPORTANT for they have been exported to be 100% in the correct 3D space
    Drop items into the Hierarchy, not just into the scene.
    GREEN items already in correct 3D Space
    - Drag & drop the desired Frame part 2X3 into the Hierarchy.
    - Drag & drop the desired Roof style part 2X3 into the Hierarchy.
    - Using Vertex Snapping snap them easily into place onto the CORE BLOCKS

Using one of the blank templates to help keep things organized just neatens up the project.
    Now save and make you own prefab of this new design for later reuse

Please let me know if this helped ;) ?

Cheers
    Cobus

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  9. smada-luap

smada-luap

Also I find it very handy to use ProGrids and set the snap settings to 0.5m and everything can them snap together in the correct places.

Yes, 0.5m can seem very small when the walls are 2.5m wide and 3m tall, and thus there's going to be lots of manual movement/positioning but with a bit of practice you'll hardly notice this :)

Shawn67, TeagansDad and S4G4N like this.
  10. mishappp

mishappp

Hey I was looking around all the prefabs and went into the canopies and they are all black, am I suppose to do something with them to change the color or is this an error?

Edit : Looks like an import error, reimporting the canopies solves this

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    S4G4N likes this.
  11. S4G4N

S4G4N

Yeah, It is great to get HUGE packages that explode with prefabs as always, but some odd few times the software is as overwhelmed as the users ;) and in the excitement unpacks them wrong :D

GrassWhooper and mishappp like this.
  12. GrassWhooper

GrassWhooper

thanks, that was super helpful, now it makes much more sense on how to actually build houses. when it comes to exteriors :)
    thanks for the great support.

13. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hey everyone,
    I have started up a 3DForge Discord Channel as a hangout spot to ask for help, share ideas, showcase your work and getting to know each other. https://discord.gg/ugN2CHr
    Everyone is welcome, lets build a community.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  14. Censureret

Censureret

Hello 3Dforge (and community)

We have been putting a lot of hours into remapping the UV's on all of the assets from 3DForge so that they can be used with megascan (https://megascans.se) assets.

if anyone is interested in this please let me know :)

Hope everyone is doing well

Shawn67, InvertedCat and S4G4N like this.
  15. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi,

Please come show some results here and also come join the Discord channel https://discord.gg/ugN2CHr

Cheers
    Cobus

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    Shawn67 and Duffer123 like this.
  16. MrG

MrG

Suggest you update your forum signature and your asset store profile and product descriptions to include a permanent Discord link!

S4G4N likes this.
  17. S4G4N

S4G4N

Thanks
    Busy with that as we speak, the Signature already has it for few days, can you test please :)

18. InvertedCat

InvertedCat

That sounds interesting, please do upload some pictures!

19. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hey everyone,

That cool time again
    First new shots of the next FREE content update for the Village Exteriors Kit http://bit.ly/2dvm4NM
    First shots of market stalls for marketplaces, harbors, shopping district, city entrances, slums areas Going for a rough, used, broken, uneven look where I can so that they dont look like they were build yesterday Will show some rough tables, chairs, shelves and display type items that goes with that to show wares tomorrow as well as some other non market place stuff

These will be items used in the upcoming BLUEPRINTS

Cheers
    Cobus

Shawn67, AndreasO, docsavage and 6 others like this.
  20. virror

virror

Yay, update! : D

S4G4N likes this.
  21. smada-luap

smada-luap

#ComingSoon :)

Duffer123 likes this.
  22. Nitrox32

Nitrox32

I'm have a lot of objects in the scene getting overlapping UV warnings (829 to be exact). Why am I getting these and how should I go about fixing them?

S4G4N likes this.
  23. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi,

I use atlassing a lot and therefore many items use the same UV space, but that is good, not bad.
    Don't understand what you referring too when you say "overlapping UV warnings"
    Are you having z-fighting?

I have no idea what scene you referring to ?
    Can you give a screenshot ?

It might also be inside buildings, things that does not get seen at all, so they will not get rendered and therefore should not effect anything.
    How are you obtaining a number that tells you that such anomalies actually are present and then tell you how many ?

Feel welcome to also join us on Discord https://discord.gg/ugN2CHr and interact with others that use the same assets ;)

Cheers
    Cobus

24. Nitrox32

Nitrox32

This may be a dumb question, but has there been any problem with the new High Definition Rendering Pipeline?

25. Nitrox32

Nitrox32

I just bought the TaD Kit from the asset store. I have all of your products but I have to say that this one is my favorite. That said, I do have a few questions. First is there a reason why many of the prefabs have holes in them? Second, in the Deeper Down demo scene the wall pieces in the center column are producing artifacts along the seems. I created a similar wall in a scene that I'm working on and am getting the same artifacts.

Attached Files:

S4G4N likes this.
  26. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi,

Thanks for your support of 3DForge assets.

The package was at the start developed as a Top Down game type art package having the result that bottom non visible plygons were no added to give you best performance and smallest data and resource footprint contents.
    Very soon after launch it was clear that by just adding those parts and adding those prefabs to the package in a separate FPS folder, players could then use us a great FPS. game type package.
    Please just check and grab the prefabs from the correct subfolder section, then you will not have those holes.

27. Nitrox32

Nitrox32

Thanks again for the response. I was using the FPS models there were just a few accidentally used the wrong ones. The other picture with the artifacts running along the seems had to do with me also accidentally rotating some tiles by a couple hundredths then duplicating them all over the scene. I have fixed all of the problems in my above pictures. However during runtime I am still getting artifacts moving between the joints. This picture does really do it justice as the artifacts seen are constantly moving. This only happens when scene lighting is on. When the lighting is off the room is completely black. All of the seems are tight between the parts. I'm using realtime lighting if that helps. asdaDS.PNG

28. S4G4N

S4G4N

I can not think why this is happening.
    An easy fix is to make the camera background colour black or dark at least

29. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

@Nitrox32 - try dropping the Normal Bias on your light down to 0. IIRC, it's not uncommon to see this issue with modular assets.

30. Nitrox32

Nitrox32

Perfect! Thanks! Your products are amazing and your support matches!

31. Nitrox32

Nitrox32

And another question......what does this mean in the picture? qqqqqqqqqq.PNG

S4G4N likes this.
  32. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi,

I am taking a wild guess here, would appreciate if anyone that knows more can contribute.

Because of atlassing the textures, more then one item grabs/uses a texture from the same spot on the texture file.
    As example, if you look at the main wall texture, I have a strip of texture and I placed several items on that strip area when I did the UVmapping. This would mean that using it Realtime Lightmap the different items could come out different, some correct and some not as intended. Baking the lightmap should let this not be a problem and each area be correct as always has been.

33. Nitrox32

Nitrox32

It really doesn't seem to be a problem. I just don't like warnings. Would enabling "Generate Lightmap UV's" solve the problem, if so, how do I do that?

S4G4N likes this.
  34. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi,
    That is quite easy, it is something I always do check when importing meshes
    I might have missed it with some items, will check that I do it next time that the Tile A Dungeon Sewer Kit gets the HD texture update.

Go to the meshes folder, can select a whole bunch and do at the same time if it is moire then one that needs this attention and import them again

Cheers
    Cobus

Shawn67 likes this.
  35. Nitrox32

Nitrox32

Hmmmmm..strange, looks like the model already has that checked. I went ahead and unchecked and gggggggggg.PNG checked it again and hit apply...nothing changed. Also my import screen looks different that yours. I'm using Unity 2018.2. Could this be the problem?

S4G4N likes this.
  36. S4G4N

S4G4N

Mine was 5.1.0

37. smada-luap

smada-luap

I have a feeling that you could be more right than wrong there :D

38. Nitrox32

Nitrox32

Can this be looked into?

39. S4G4N

S4G4N

What specific are you referring to that you would like to be looked into ?

40. Nitrox32

Nitrox32

Whether the warnings are a result of changes made in 2018.2 vs 5.1

41. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi everyone,

More screenshots of some of the next FREE Update contents for the Village Exteriors Kit.
    These are larger and taller and very differently designed market stalls.
    Can very well see the size compared to a person and also a small 5m x 7,5m village house.
    Some cool ropes with pegs added as well.
    Canvas exported separate so that you can mix and match and create a nice variety with that and the wooden planks version.

More following :)

Cheers
    Cobus

TheSeawolf, Shawn67, camta005 and 4 others like this.
  42. S4G4N

S4G4N

More FREE update pics of Streetlamps
    Have seen many scenes where people had to use basic streetlamps from other publishers.
    Now the Village Exteriors Kit has it's own

Square Stone based, Round Stone based, Wooden Post, Rope hanging, Chain hanging & Wall Mounted

43. AndreasO

AndreasO

Really great stuff!
    Can't wait to get the update :D

TheSeawolf and S4G4N like this.
  44. S4G4N

S4G4N

45. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi everyone,
    Adding a selection of wooden and thatch watchtowers and ladders
    There will be 2 & 3 story high ones as well as different versions that has less parts and therefor less polycount

Adding last few things and pulling last items into Unity then release :)

Cheers
    Cobus

Shawn67, docsavage and Adrad like this.
  46. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi everyone.
    @AdamGoodrich just released a very cool, helpful package that many of you might have always wanted.
    Path Painter
    It is on SALE for the first 7 days, so grab it now.
    Go to the page and check the awesome video also showcasing the great demo scene using the Village Exteriors Kit

Several other tools was used as well
    Gaia Terrain building
    GeNa Object scatter and placement
    Pegasus Flythrough
    CTS Terrain Texturing
    Helios Ultra Smooth Video render and output

Cheers
    Cobus

magique and Shawn67 like this.
  47. magique

magique

I love your work @S4G4N, but I'm disappointed in one thing that has been bothering me lately. I was trying to put together a little village scene where a player could walk up to some of the buildings and go inside with a scene transition. However, even though there are some great interior demo scenes, there isn't a single one that matches a prefab exterior. Now, I can always create my own interiors from scratch or modify one to more closely match an exterior, but I'm not an artist/level designer and it's not that easy for me. But not only that, some of the interiors are very irregular and trying to get an exterior with proper roofing seems problematic at best. For example, the cathedral has an odd shape with some small protruding interior parts that I just can't see how you could roof it properly at all.

It would be really nice if a future upgrade had a one-to-one mapping of demo scene interiors to a prefab exterior so we could just plug and play.

TheSeawolf and S4G4N like this.
  48. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hey @magique

I can look into that, but there should not be a fitting problem regarding the Cathedral section :), not that I know of.
    I specifically designed the outside parts to match/fit the vaulted ceilings.

Will maybe do a Cathedral BLUEPRINT and share for all to test ;)

Here is one of the FREE BLUEPRINTS sections with several layouts that have Interiors & Exteriors combined to give some ready made and also to learn from. Grab some of them and see if they can assist in making the usage clearer.

The whole very simple backbone is the 2,5m x 2,5m x 3m core blocks. They 100% represent the Interiors modular system and the Exteriors snap 100% onto them.

Cheers
    Cobus

49. magique

magique

Perfect. Thanks for the link. I didn't realize there were a couple there that already work.

S4G4N likes this.
  50. S4G4N

S4G4N

Yup, they there mainly to have working examples. I can not include stuff from the one package in the other as part of Unity Asset Store contents, so I rather did it this way on my own site ;)

I will do and add a Church type building when I am done with this current FREE update to show how the interiors Vaulted ceilings and the outer structures work together. The method can then just be duplicated to produce larger or smaller versions.

Cheers
    Cobus

TheSeawolf, camta005 and magique like this.