Search Unity

3DForge Exteriors

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by S4G4N, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Revelation_Jeff

Revelation_Jeff

Nice shots Cobus! =) Looking good!

S4G4N likes this.
  2. Whippets

Whippets

If you're building into assetbundles then only the dependencies you use will be added to the bundles; if not, it might be a case of checking materials and seeing if the prefabs you want use those materials.

S4G4N likes this.
  3. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hey there,

I dont think it is a problem if I understand you correctly.
    But make a back-up, make the change and test it ;)

Cheers
    Cobus

4. virror

virror

: )
    Btw, if i understand this correctly, this new update will both be nr 3, castles and cathedrals and half of nr 4 stone city walls (and not wooden one)?

S4G4N likes this.
  5. S4G4N

S4G4N

OK, "THAT" day has arrived.

All texture, Mesh & Prefab data is loaded and in Unity v5.1.0
    I am quickly doing one Example Scene with a bunch of "How To" examples.
    Edit included text document and then Upload to Unity

Cheers
    Cobus

6. S4G4N

S4G4N

Wooden as in Wooden floors and small wooden components as you have seen on screenshots.

7. virror

virror

Yeah, i was just looking at "the plan" on the first page : )

S4G4N likes this.
  8. S4G4N

S4G4N

No it is not like full-on wooden walls like a "western fort"
    Let me finish that that Demo scene so I can upload ;)

TeagansDad likes this.
  9. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

Yes, stop posting here and get that package uploaded! ;)

S4G4N and Whippets like this.
  10. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

My body is ready!

S4G4N likes this.
  11. S4G4N

S4G4N

THAT DAY HAVE REALLY ARRIVED JUST NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!
    The Castles/Cathedrals & City Walls Update is LIVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Thank you.

S4G4N likes this.
  13. S4G4N

S4G4N

14. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

1050 new meshes in a FREE update. You are insane, my friend. ;)

15. Knightmore

Knightmore

And the Interiors Kit is mine :D
    First GeNa now this. Time to get to work.

BackwoodsGaming and S4G4N like this.
  16. S4G4N

S4G4N

Yeah,

Some publishers release packages with 100-200 prefabs, nothing wrong with that at all
    Here the updates are 5 - 10 times that hehehe
    Thanks for the continued support ;)

Thanks for the continued support ;)

Enjoy.
    Come how what you have built

Cheers
    Cobus

17. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

Yeah, I've seen some environment sets where the author boasts "over 100 modular building pieces." How cute. :cool:

18. virror

virror

AWESOME : D

19. drorelith

drorelith

Cobus I really think your crazy. Awesome update and makes this a huge bargain. I'm buying ur treasure kit just cause of the fact that I feel you've earned alittle bonus from me. Not to get to work building that keep I been putting off for months now. (I should be finishing up the Dwarf building set I been working on damn distractions)

BackwoodsGaming, S4G4N and TeagansDad like this.
  20. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

I always say that the two village kits are hands down the best deal on the Asset Store (at full price). What is better than the best deal?

Downloading now. Had to be a responsible parent and get the kids off to school before sitting down to play with this update. :)

21. zelgo

zelgo

only thing that worries me about the village assets is that if they become too popular then the games that use them won't feel unique :oops:

22. Knightmore

Knightmore

As for me I wouldn't use them out of the box but change the textures so they fit the rest of my assets.
    Only using both Village Kits without some personal tweaks would lead to noticeable asset flipping.
    Interior and Exterior are good starting points if you can't/don't have the time to model them on your own, but it is easy to change them to use it for your own setting.

23. zelgo

zelgo

yeah i would probably retexture them. but I wonder if it would get to the point where even that isn't enough

24. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

Do keep in mind that the VAST majority of projects using these models will never see the light of day. That's not a knock against anyone; that's just the reality of game development -- and hobbyist/indie development in particular.

BackwoodsGaming and Knightmore like this.
  25. zelgo

zelgo

yeah that is true, and some may just use them for prototyping

26. smada-luap

smada-luap

I doubt mine will ever ser the light of day but then again it's just a hobby for me

I also think it's also a matter of how you use and present the assets in your game. Two people could use the same assets but have completely different visuals

BackwoodsGaming, TeagansDad and S4G4N like this.
  27. S4G4N

S4G4N

I fully Agree,
    Lighting, Luts, filters, texture adjustments, gametype, the list goes one on how to make your game, final look & feel different

TeagansDad likes this.
  28. smada-luap

smada-luap

I've just downloaded the update and the amount of new content in this is just staggering. I think it's going to take a while before I'm as comfortable with knowing what bits work well with which other bits.

I think I'm going to be studying the example scene a lot to start out with :D

S4G4N likes this.
  29. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

Looking forward to getting some time to play around with this pack. Castle parts is exactly what I need. Thank you.

S4G4N likes this.
  30. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hey Luke

Can see you new to the forums, I would like to welcome you :)
    Please do come and show what you do.
    Thanks for supporting 3DForge packages, hope you have lots of fun with them.
    Come ask around here with regards to any questions you have or email me on info@3dforge.co.za

I am working on a quick mini Castles Update with a short list of some small & large, but important parts that missed the Update train :) . It should only be a few days for this mini update.

*Please don't forget the STAR rate any packages that you own.

Cheers
    Cobus

LukeDawn likes this.
  31. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

An update already, this has to be one of the most maintained packs on the asset store. Have you got plans for any other packs other than the interiors and exteriors?

S4G4N likes this.
  32. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

@S4G4N - Does your list include any wall pieces with arrow slits or cut-out windows (which match the cathedral interior walls)?

Could you also provide an example of how the castle pieces are intended to fit with the interior walls? Fitting them via grid snapping leaves a gap inside the door frame, so I'm not sure I'm doing it right. There are also "a" and "b" wall sides that are slightly different lengths and I'm not sure under which circumstances each is intended to be used. :)

I'm slowly working my way through the update. It's rather large in scope, so it definitely takes time.

S4G4N likes this.
  33. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Congrats Cobus! I can't wait to see what people put together using this update! I hope to get a chance to put some things together with it soon.. :)

S4G4N likes this.
  34. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Not to mention, the kit s fully modular. So at least as far as the buildings, you could create completely custom buildings that will be different than any other game. Plus once you add your plants, maybe decals for damage/wear on the buildings, etc, you could end up with something pretty much completely unique.

TeagansDad and S4G4N like this.
  35. S4G4N

S4G4N

HAHA, yeah !!!

The list was long of what I wanted in that I missed some small section.
    Concerning updates, yes, I will always do my best to make sure you get a good deal and add extra contents from aa roadmap or user feedback. I am after this mini update doing one or two standalone completely new packages before attending the roadmap further, just for sales reasons, with new packages always contributing more to income.

- You sure to get the Arrow Slid items, I am also giving them as small enterable towers as well like some of the WIP beginning screenshots showed.

- I will do come back with a example of the Interiors & Exteriors meeting at the door

- There are so many parts, concerning the "a & b" if you could point to a specific filename(s) then I can answer you on that

This is good feedback, the kind that I am looking for to further enhance the package.

Cheers
    Cobus

36. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

For example, fe_vil_cc_basewallside1X1a and fe_vil_cc_basewallside1X1b. The "a" piece is slightly longer than 2.5m, while the "b" piece is about 2.75m long.

Glad I could be of help!

The small enterable towers sounds very cool. I've been trying to build one myself. :)

S4G4N likes this.
  37. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hey,

Here is an image and the actual scene file of this image that explains why.
    Basically, that wall can accommodate a 1 unit wide small room and the Exterior walls then snaps on and make it 0.1 wider each side.

So it is to cap the side of that wall where the wall is maybe on a very uneven landscape and has steps in it
    Can add one of the narrow or wider staircases with half and full parapet parts to your flavor.

***opening this scene file
    You have to drop it inside unity and then double click on it - it's not a package that you can double click outside of unity

Just saw BaseParapetE has few items with normals facing wrong way, so fixing that as well.

Cheers
    Cobus

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    TeagansDad and Whippets like this.
  38. smada-luap

smada-luap

Starting to slowly get my head around the various pieces in the castle update.

Done this so far :)

screen_1920x1080_2016-11-12_19-21-14.jpg

The aim is to have a bustling town in the area surrounding the castle (basically from where the player is standing here and to the west and east)

39. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

I´ve said this about the asset store in general. If you get to a point where your players are picking out individual pieces of art and noting that they were in some other game... then your game has bigger problems than the artwork.... Edit- just to clarify what I mean. If your game is good and fun, people aren´t going to care if you use the same artwork as other games.

And just for comparison, and I believe this is true, didn´t the Witcher 3 use some of the buildings ( windmill ) directly from Michael O´s environment pack?.. and probably nobody except developers here knew it. I with with character models it might be an issue if they are a main part of your game, but even background animals wouldn´t get noticed.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    Acissathar and S4G4N like this.
  40. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi,

For me it is cool to see the art pop out in upcoming games.
    But what makes this package very different in that respect is that the the modular nature and the VAST selection of the parts you can easily create some great styles that will be unique to your own game.

With re-texturing the mainframes, walls and maybe roofs, you can have very different looking results
    Even just editing the hue values of the current ones you can multiply the results.

Cheers
    Cobus

TeagansDad and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  41. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hey everyone,

With the GREAT success of the Village Interiors Kit Daily Deal excitement all past now I have been hard at work with a Village Exteriors Kit Mini Update for the FREE Castles Update.
    With delivering the HUGE update in time for the Daily Deal of it's companion package, I missed a few items and have received a few suggestion from some users.

It should be done and live inside the next week

I have already fixed:

- C\... ...\Prefabs\CastleCathedral\Castles\BaseCastle\BaseParapet\BaseParapetF
    > insides normals facing wrong direction
    - C\... ...\Prefabs\CastleCathedral\Castles\BaseCastle\BaseStair\StraightStair
    > coliders on child colider meshes were not setup

NEW data:
    - C\... ...\Prefabs\CastleCathedral\Castles\BaseCastle\BaseWall\BaseWall07
    > 20 NEW prefabs double thickness walls to match double thickness entrances with wooden floor texture
    - C\... ...\Prefabs\CastleCathedral\Castles\BaseCastle\BaseWall\BaseWall07
    > 20 NEW prefabs double thickness walls to match double thickness entrances with no floor texture >> add own choice

Will come post what else is added once it is in Unity dev environment.

Cheers
    Cobus

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  42. virror

virror

Wow, this is really first class service : D
    Did not even have time to look at the new assets yet : p

43. smada-luap

smada-luap

Woohoo :) lol

S4G4N likes this.
  44. S4G4N

S4G4N

I did say MINI hey ;):D

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  45. virror

virror

40 new prefabs are mini? : p
    Says a lot about the major updates : D

46. S4G4N

S4G4N

Ughmm... , that is just the start
    Will be several 100 I imagine

I appreciate the feedback with suggestions, I just did not want to open the door for HUGE requests ;)

If there are any items that you want to suggest I will see what can be added

Cheers
    Cobus

47. virror

virror

Nope, im all good : D
    Just impressed, thats all : )

S4G4N likes this.
  48. smada-luap

smada-luap

Yeah, but you're a developer who admits it when bits are missing and rectifies it.

TeagansDad, BackwoodsGaming and S4G4N like this.
  49. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hey, It is more FREE stuff :)

50. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hey everyone,
    @AdamGoodrich just showed me a GeNa tutorial video he completed, spawning Village Exteriors Kit assets and it is SOOO NICE for asset placement
    Easy easy setup and HUGE time saving and FUN