Search Unity

3DForge Exteriors

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by S4G4N, Apr 6, 2015.

1. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi,

I specifically gotten a hold of LAM to use when the Castles Update comes I can build nice showcase screenshots. So I just shared the test results :);)

I am hard at work to get it out soon yes :)

Cheers
    Cobus

TeagansDad and docsavage like this.
  2. virror

virror

yay : D

S4G4N likes this.
  3. Whippets

Whippets

LMAO

S4G4N likes this.
  4. docsavage

docsavage

I have looked at 3dforge store page a fair few times and for some reason never really noticed the towers kit????

Probably because I have not been looking for towers but still.

S4G4N likes this.
  5. S4G4N

S4G4N

With the current update, many tower type options will be available :)

6. docsavage

docsavage

For some reason didn't see it. Glad you posted it on this thread.

7. Tom163

Tom163

In that video, what are the assets of the people in the inn, the barkeeper, kitchen staff, etc? They are really cool, too.

S4G4N likes this.
  8. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi @.Tom.

I agree, they very nice characters
    One of my very cool users @tango9jeff made the clip, I am tagging him here, then he can maybe come answer that

Cheers
    Cobus

9. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

Not to be rude, but I was going to say the same thing. I get alerts on this thread because I want to get news about this product. I understand you guys must cross-promote a little bit, but it is starting to get out of hand.

S4G4N likes this.
  10. virror

virror

Yes, its not as exciting to see an alert here as it used to be : p

S4G4N likes this.
  11. S4G4N

S4G4N

Cool,
    I will from my side keep them more on topic ;)
    Cheers
    Cobus

12. Acissathar

Acissathar

FWIW I personally think it is nice to occasionally see assets that compliment your kits.

Say JohnDoe released an upgraded Standard Shader. That may not be an update to the Village kit, but it still has relevance because it's like "Hey guys look how much prettier this makes the kit" or even (hopefully not) "Avoid this because it makes the kit look gross!"

John-G, TeagansDad, Whippets and 2 others like this.
  13. docsavage

docsavage

Just had a quick play with some 3dforge stuff and gaia. Playing about with the nice little towers pack. A small amount of material and texture adjustment for experimentation. I think these towers go well with the exteriors buildings. Don't think they look out of place.

Tower.png

14. S4G4N

S4G4N

those tow
    Those towers were made for top down, so that one roof you see there need the roof adjusted, one of the TO DO items when it is getting an update.
    But with the Castles and City walls update soon to drop, you will also have MANY tower type assets to choose and even build yourself to your taste.

Thanks for showing ;)

15. Whippets

Whippets

Anticipation is killing me - "soon to drop" is excellent news Cobus :)

S4G4N, docsavage and Acissathar like this.
  16. docsavage

docsavage

The towers still do look good.

Really looking forward to the castles and city walls update. 3dforge packs = Comprehensive coverage of all eventualities :)

S4G4N likes this.
  17. docsavage

docsavage

Some promo pics?

S4G4N likes this.
  18. smada-luap

smada-luap

Not seen a snifter of any castle kit pics yet :(

S4G4N likes this.
  19. Revelation_Jeff

Revelation_Jeff

Hey Tom, They're just various dexsoft characters you can find on the AS or on their site. =)

20. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

I built a quick proof-of-concept demo level using Gaia and both Village kits for trying out a couple of third-person controllers, and I was quite pleased with the results, so I thought I'd share them here: (The pictures are from running the game in the editor because I couldn't get the Distingo shaders to work in my build and the terrain textures looked off.)

You can't see it in the image, but the crate full of onions is interactive; when you approach the crate, ORK Framework displays an interaction prompt, which will then display a GUI for taking items (onions) out of the crate.

I just love this stone bridge and I seem to use it over and over again...

Looking out at the same house on the island as in the first screenshot.

If you don't have city walls models, then improvise... I quite like the way this came out, actually.

I guess the majestic city of Conceptia doesn't want me to enter...

Watch out for floating damage numbers!

kerrmedia, docsavage, kittik and 5 others like this.
  21. smada-luap

smada-luap

I like your improvisation for city walls. I must admit that it never occurred to me to use those in an exterior setting :) Nice to have other ideas of how these kits can be used out of what were their original intended use.

S4G4N and TeagansDad like this.
  22. S4G4N

S4G4N

WOW,

Same here.
    Those walls and stone railings were all done as part of the Castles & Cathedrals FREE update for the Village Interiors Kit, but they work perfectly for exteriors usage as well with some normal realistic staircase usage.
    I must commend you on the idea and the execution.
    That is one of the coolest things I have seen when adding assets to the Asset Store.
    When users use them for things I did not even think of.

The very tall legs for the stone bridge as well, because they modular you can just keep stacking them.
    The walls I can see in the one pick that has the arches on them looks interesting as well;)
    Very nice to see the use of the walls to create the flat terraces to build the dwellings on to of, all working together to create a believable world.

Please show more as you build more, they very inspirational, love the schots

Cheers
    Cobus

TeagansDad and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  23. docsavage

docsavage

These are really nice. That viaduct has given me an idea for a railway bridge in one of my scenes. May even have an aquaduct as well

What are you using for lighting and fog?.

TeagansDad and S4G4N like this.
  24. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Ditto! I love what you did with the walls @TeagansDad! I was wondering where those were from and which kit. There is so much in these kits I am always discovering something new! Thanks for finding, using, and showing us! heheh

25. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

Thanks for the kind words! I didn't really have a plan in mind when I built that, I just looked at my terrain and started trying out different things. At first I thought it might just be a small keep or something, but as I started building it up the side of the mountain, I thought that this could be the "rear entrance" of a city... What you see at the top of the stairs is essentially the edge of the terrain... I put in another high wall at the back and used the three-story building prefabs to create the illusion that a city is beyond the walls. There is a gate which I have blocked off and I arranged some buildings behind it to look like there are narrow city streets beyond. :)

@docsavage, I'm using Tenkoku for the skies, lighting, and fog. The water is AQUAS.

I swear if I ever make a full game, people will complain that EVERYTHING is built on mountains and there are gorges with bridges everywhere. ;-) What can I say, I don't like designing flat levels/areas...

26. S4G4N

S4G4N

Keep up with it, I love the bridges and very uneven terrain.
    Makes for very interesting exploration scenes

BackwoodsGaming and TeagansDad like this.
  27. docsavage

docsavage

Just like minecraft - "will just have play and build a hut here". Ends up being like an upscaled helms deep:)

BackwoodsGaming, S4G4N and TeagansDad like this.
  28. smada-luap

smada-luap

I've started building houses with the exterior kit and had to delete them as they just got on some really odd shapes and sizes that would never structurally exist in real life (present house excluded of course for those of you who have seen my current one on previous pages of this thread :D lol)

BackwoodsGaming, docsavage and S4G4N like this.
  29. S4G4N

S4G4N

That is actually one of the big reasons for the "CORE" blocks, to assist in the building process, but also kind of to block out what you could possible end up when you done shape wise.
    I almost always end with something slightly different at the end, but they do assist in the concepting stage.
    You could even make some simple block houses with them, and move then around and play with how they sit next to each other and interact before going all the way to flesh them out.

30. neason080

neason080

Screenshot (1).jpg Screenshot (3).jpg Screenshot (4).jpg Screenshot (5).jpg Screenshot (9).jpg Alright after some tinkering around I think I have a pretty good rough in of a small dungeon for demo purposes and testing. Didn't really know where else to post them but I wanted to share. I thought it might give a bit more of an idea to the developer as to the kind of usage I had in mind.

Not EVERYTHING is from his kits I had to improvise a bit so a few minor assets come from other products on the store and a couple are hand made by me. However all the major stuff comes from his set or his texture sets. With the exception of the secondary texture and normal for the walls and floors to add a bit of a grimy look. That came from a free terrain asset package including the detail mask. It's got some minor flaws and it needs some extra touches but all of those won't include this kit so I figured this was a good point to post.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
    TeagansDad, S4G4N and docsavage like this.
  31. neason080

neason080

Screenshot (6).jpg Screenshot (7).jpg Screenshot (8).jpg Screenshot (11).jpg Screenshot (12).jpg and a few more

32. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

S4G4N likes this.
  33. neason080

neason080

Thank you Shawn your right about the kits. There is really a lot of room to be creative. The way the kits all work together as well as the fact they are made to be very easy work is just awesome. This really should be the go to kits or gold standard for kits for medieval themes. A little research into how graphics work really just expands the options to whatever you can dream up. Situation specific things of course you'll have to do yourself like banners custom decals and such but no kits going to cover all that.

The only suggestion I put forward and was a gradient of sorts. Some things should have an abandoned/improvished , then say middle of the road like it is now and finally some bling for a more rich/royal feel. Some basic secondary textures with normal and detail masks would probably be all that's needed to give a base to work from. With maybe 40 or so to choose from people could mix and match or create their own normal and detail masks and the options would be completely off the charts. He's got something along those lines on the Roadmap #8 on the list I think but I wanted to get my thoughts in for his consideration early.

34. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Definitely agree on the "go to kits/standard".. Cobus really takes a lot of time to make sure things are right and as close to perfect out of the box. I have never had problems with scale or really, anything that I can think of... With any of his stuff. I know a lot of people are anxious about the next update release. But from experience in working with Cobus for a while, what he delivers will be well worth the wait!

35. Arganth

Arganth

is there any way to "reverse" the texture atlas?

consider you have a level and want to add some flavour to some parts
    but painting the that part changes it in all other parts too because of the atlas

same "problem" with different shaders

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
    S4G4N likes this.
  36. smada-luap

smada-luap

You can't do that as they're uv mapped.

What you will need to do is duplicate the texture, change the bits you need and create a new material with the new texture. Then duplicate the prefab and tell the new prefab to use the new material.

I've done this to have extra texture options for house exteriors

TeagansDad, Arganth and S4G4N like this.
  37. Arganth

Arganth

do you do this procedure in unity or external programs?

38. smada-luap

smada-luap

Duplicate the texture file and then open this up. In an image editor and make the changes you want -such as cchanging the texture for a wall.

Back in unity duplicate the original material file and edit this to use the new texture you've just edited.

Then find the prefab that you're wanting a new texture on and tell it to use the new material with the new texture. Duplicate the prefab if you're wanting to use both texture designs

S4G4N, TeagansDad and Arganth like this.
  39. Arganth

Arganth

thx ;) very much appreciated ;)

S4G4N likes this.
  40. S4G4N

S4G4N

TeagansDad likes this.
  41. Multithreaded_Games

Multithreaded_Games

Thanks for the shout-out and the great and affordable assets!

S4G4N likes this.
  42. docsavage

docsavage

Great to see games using these packs:)

43. smada-luap

smada-luap

Added a bridge so you don't have to run all the way around the water's edge (even if it is a relatively long bridge :D )

screen_1920x1080_2016-06-25_15-02-11.jpg

44. smada-luap

smada-luap

A slightly idyllic spot. Wonder how long this will last? :)

screen_1920x1080_2016-06-26_12-59-52.jpg

They seem to be fairly well stocked though. They've even had a large delivery of supplies...
    screen_1920x1080_2016-06-26_12-25-21.jpg

45. docsavage

docsavage

Nice.

S4G4N likes this.
  46. smada-luap

smada-luap

A quick flight around some construction using the exteriors kit :)

47. S4G4N

S4G4N

Nice to see the buildings in environments
    Using the canopies in this way is very nice, like a large Outdoor P
    ub / Market place kind of setup

TheSeawolf and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  48. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi everyone,

A cool video done by @Malbers , the publisher of Horse Animset Pro

He had horse pulling animations on his roadmap as far as I understand, so when I saw this I contacted him because the Village Exteriors Kit has that nice large selection of wagons & carts all ready and exported and setup in parts to use in this manner, so it all just made sense :):):)

He used the included Viking Village scene to test it.
    Cool to see that the pathways was even correct, that was just a happy accident.

Cheers
    Cobus

49. docsavage

docsavage

That's brilliant!! I was going to need something like this for the next project. Looks excellent. Probably just needs a bit of collider adjustment around the horses hind area and the cart arms to stop the arms going through the horse mesh and there you go - job done!

S4G4N likes this.
  50. S4G4N

S4G4N

I fully agree.

This is just first time tests and they look very promising
    Town to Town races here we come ;););)

Can set up nice slow moving carts with trade routes between villages and settlements, will add such nice realism.
    Add some goods, maybe one horseman to guard and ride with the trader and you have some cool elements to weave in with your story and events.

What is really nice is to see how accurate the wheels interact with the terrain, not just a smooth "fake" slide along the surface. check the shadows of the wheels how they meet the terrain accurately, very impressive results.
    Obviously with some cool fine-tuning he did with the tests, the speed the wheels are turning and the distance covered looks very real in relation to each other.