Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

3DForge Exteriors

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by S4G4N, Apr 6, 2015.

1. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

Excellent, I just checked the roadmap...still lots to do, which is great for people like me.

With regards to rounded, I don't need them at first, it's actually the square that I was looking forward to early on. About the texture colour, I was going to ask for a really large favour (yes I know I could do it on myself), but is it possible you could create a stone texture colour for the exterior to match these pictures below? A grey colour similar to this below is a reasonably good match for the Motuproprio rock packs and with Gaia.

2. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hey there,

What I can do is provide two textures sheets, one as I planned and the others with such a lighter color, also I will adjust the other elements, wood, roof texture and so forth on the secondary sheet to be harmonious and fit with this requested lighter color :):)

Cheers
    Cobus

3. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

That would be great Cobus, thank you very much :)

Whippets likes this.
  4. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

Kia ora

I know this is maybe not the right place to ask but the model makers here are great, (looking at you Cobus <grin>)

I have brought a couple of tower assets and they got horrid steps my Char has to jump to get up, be a bummer making a spiral ramp if thats the fix. Is that the easiest way save re modeling the whole thing?. Jus a collision ramp thats not seen
    over the top of the stairways I mean

5. Whippets

Whippets

Making a spiral ramp is the only way, unless your step heights are below the threshold for the character controller to be able to walk over. Really for all stairs, a ramp collider is the best, and smoothest, option. Ask the model provider in their thread to add one to the pack.

TeagansDad and S4G4N like this.
  6. smada-luap

smada-luap

@S4G4N any pics yet to tease us with? :D

S4G4N likes this.
  7. S4G4N

S4G4N

I will show the moment I have to show :)

TeagansDad, Whippets and smada-luap like this.
  8. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

We need to clone @S4G4N. Maybe a couple of times.

9. S4G4N

S4G4N

I am looking into that :D

10. smada-luap

smada-luap

Agreed. We'd at least have a couple of kits on simultaneous development cycles :D

11. docsavage

docsavage

@S4G4N . Noticed that TAD sewer kit has an update. Not had time to check it out but thanks for the continued support :)

12. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi,

From the release notes

--- UPCOMING/Future Update V2.0.0 ---
    All textures DOUBLE the current resolution

v1.9.2 --- Extra Texture Maps
    - Materials now Unity 5 Standard shaders.
    - Added Normal maps
    - Added AO maps

Cheers
    Cobus

13. Whippets

Whippets

He does work non-stop XD

docsavage, S4G4N and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  14. montyfi

montyfi

Thanks a lot for that!

S4G4N likes this.
  15. smada-luap

smada-luap

Getting back into terrain building and town planning mode, and decided to start out by designing a small village square and then build on from that.

screen_1920x1080_2016-03-22_21-00-46.jpg

I used my fence builder asset to create the fence - even configuring it to put gaps at the 4 cardinal compass points rather than create the enclosure out of 4 L-shaped fences :)

Then, after adding some houses in today, I decided that they weren't rich enough to afford metal railings so I replaced the prefab used with one of the wooden railings that are part of the exterior kit.

screen_1920x1080_2016-03-23_20-27-57.jpg

Then I got to wondering what it would look like at night :D so I set Time Of Day to night and put in some streetlamps

screen_1920x1080_2016-03-23_21-30-07.jpg

Overall not a bad start - and yes, I "cheated" with the houses and used the pre-made ones that come with the kit :D

mwituni, Apolyon6k, docsavage and 9 others like this.
  16. Whippets

Whippets

Awesome work Paul, especially the top one - a great public space.

S4G4N likes this.
  17. S4G4N

S4G4N

Looking GREAT !!!

With the well placed in the middle ideal for a nice market place setup from the houses surrounding it.
    The upcoming canopies, barrels, crates and cages I see have a spot ready that they going to be placed ;)

Even more coolness will be in the update then expected :D:D:D
    ... and that is all I say about it ;)

Cheers
    Cobus

TeagansDad likes this.
  18. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

I'm curious as to what trees you used.

S4G4N likes this.
  19. smada-luap

smada-luap

American Elm, White Oak and the free speedtrees

S4G4N, TeagansDad and PhoenixRising1 like this.
  20. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

Cheers.

21. drorelith

drorelith

Hi all,

A quick question. I was finishing up a small tavern about to start work on the exterior when my lighting went all weird on me. Anyone know what I did and how to undo it? I've tried putting extra lights and deleting lights and no change as of yet. Odd walls are receiving light and others are getting none on the first floor as well. One wall has a light right on it yet is somehow still completely black.

Edit: Ok so the floor had been switched to static and somehow was throwing off all the lighting. Least ways that's my guess as when I switched that off everything went back to what it had been before.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    S4G4N likes this.
  22. Whippets

Whippets

Hmmm, surely it should *all* be static as none of it is moving, and you want it to batch as much as possible?

S4G4N likes this.
  23. smada-luap

smada-luap

Looks like there are a few less trees around here now :)

screen_1920x1080_2016-03-24_18-24-55.jpg

24. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

Who chopped them down? :(

S4G4N likes this.
  25. docsavage

docsavage

I like the bright and open feel that scene has. It shows of the brighter side to the exteriors kit.

S4G4N likes this.
  26. drorelith

drorelith

It should be yes. However, something about the floor being static is causing it. I'm still investigating it though. Everything else is static and the lighting is fine. The second I switch the floor to static it causes a lot of odd problems.

Whippets and S4G4N like this.
  27. Whippets

Whippets

Another Unity wierdness... and that never happens

28. mwituni

mwituni

Castles ... perfect timing!
    That's exactly what I came back to check progress for!
    Remember the most important thing ... old and broken walls and parts!

Dirty would be nice too!
    You pack is too clean ... it looks new :)
    We need old villages too

oh, and we need it tomorrow.

S4G4N likes this.
  29. smada-luap

smada-luap

You're being generous - we usually ask for it yesterday :D lol

S4G4N likes this.
  30. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

C'mon guys.. I used to put this kind of pressure on him too. Then I realized as much as he is doing and putting into these packs, I'll get it when I get it and be happy about it. I know we are all just kidding around and Cobus knows it too. But I imagine it also put more pressure on him, even if we don't intend it that way.. :p

S4G4N, drorelith and Adrad like this.
  31. drorelith

drorelith

So true. I literally waiting on him so I can start on my castle town but until then I working on building an ai and enhance my coding skills. So to me it just encourages me to work on other things.

S4G4N likes this.
  32. S4G4N

S4G4N

HEHE, Yeah yeah :):):)
    There is an extremely large amount of things to keep in mind,
    Castles and Cathedrals, luckily many similarities but also lots of differences and what I provide has to work with the interiors as good as I can get it too, a new roof texture set and therefore models
    Stairs solution, bridge additions for lovely castle entrances, walkways behind city/castle walls
    Bringing in the wooden walls textures/components ...

It is a very complex for me to do update so that it is easy and fun for all the users update

The moment I have pics to show I promise, you all here will be the first ;)

Yip, I am going as fast as I can, but I am only one person, thanks for understanding as well:):):)

Cheers
    Cobus

TeagansDad and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  33. smada-luap

smada-luap

I've been thinking on this post now for a while and I think the time is about right for the discussion to come to the fore.

We're all thankful to get stuff for free - who isn't? - but there comes a time when we must sit back and ask ourselves, can we really just take and not be expected to give something back?

What does this have to do here? Quite simple - I feel that all future expansions that Cobus has planned for the exteriors kit (as can be seen on the first page of this thread), should be sold as standalone packs only and not given away free. Now this is entirely up to Cobus as it is his work and he's perfectly entitled to give away what he wants to, but he also needs to earn a living so that he can support himself and his family.

This might upset some who expect to get what he's put on the first page of this thread for free as he's stated, but let's face the realities of things here and put yourself into Cobus' shoes for a moment. Could you afford to put out an asset pack the size of the exteriors kit and then work effectively for free for a year (it was first published in May 2015, so it's nearly a year since v1.0 was released) adding in extra content and get no (effective) return?

If you're a fan of the 3DForge brand then I hope you would be willing to take a similar stand that I am here and would support the move and would buy the extra standalone kits when they are published rather than expect to get everything for free.

Also, look at it this way - if everything was packaged into one ever-increasing asset then you have to continually download an ever larger pack from the asset store with every update just to get new content - some of which may not be relevant for your project, whereas separate, smaller add-on packs priced accordingly for their contents would help support future endeavours from Cobus and would mean you have only what you [currently] require without any added 'bloat'.

34. Whippets

Whippets

Agreed. Happy to pay for smaller packs with a more realistic scope of updates. You know the quality of work when you buy 3DForge.

35. Teila

Teila

Absolutely! Especially since this is Cobus' income and he has given away so much for free already.

Also, it will keep the package from getting huge! I already have a tough time finding everything in the Exteriors and Interiors packages. I dread having to search through more stuff!

I vote for a separate pack at a price that is fair for the size of the package. :)

BackwoodsGaming and S4G4N like this.
  36. mwituni

mwituni

I get what you are saying, and many would agree. But I think to be realistic you would upset too many existing customers, and the blow-back would do more damage than good. Probably you want to do that on a future product, not existing.

As crazy as it seems, it is a really good business plan. Probably where Cobus is slipping up is by not increasing the price as the package grows. The idea (should be) to introduce a new product and get early investment - and that is more successful when you have a history like he does, then to build the product incrementally but at the same time increase the price - perhaps with a notice. But then, pricing too high alienates the mass-market and most new Unity users.

At the end of the day, each has their own business plan, and adapts it to suit their market.

Re: huge imports. A well structured folder structure is useful. So users can simply select which folders to import.

37. Teila

Teila

Hmm, I think that we have gotten our $60 worth from Cobus already and I really believe most existing customers would understand this. That doesn't mean he can't add a few free things like he has been doing, but he doesn't have to add a full new pack to this asset. That is suicide for an asset developer.

The vast majority of us happily pay for stuff and don't beg others for free stuff. We know that if the Developer is going to continue to develop, continue to support us all the way Cobus does, that he will need income for his time. You and I both know the time and the passion that goes into Cobus' work. He goes above and beyond for us.

To be upset because you don't get more free assets when this pack is worth well more than the cost now is really thinking more one's self, than the people who make the assets that we can buy...for a fraction of what it costs to hire an artist to do custom work for us.

Do you own this pack? I am curious. Because if you do, you know it is packed full already...and the small updates he has made over the years have really been rather huge...at least $20-$40's worth of assets with each update...if you compare to other similar items on sale on the asset store.

Edit: Plus, might get new customers who want castles but not houses too. :)

S4G4N likes this.
  38. mwituni

mwituni

I've not being watching all going on here, but am not aware of a full new pack. I thought he was adding the stuff on the roadmap - which some customers were waiting on (we are on castle walls and parts)

Yes I do. I've had it for long, but never used it. I bought it based on the roadmap, for the castle walls etc. That said I've seen his smalls items like wagons, tools etc and will def use some of those too, and actually that's why I opened the thread - to see pics of tools etc that were added so I can download the pack.

But certainly, if you feel you have used a lot of it and got more value than you expected, then contribute to the developer. Just send him a Paypal donation - I'm sure he'll appreciate it.

Perhaps if he decides to continue selling assets this way - that may be the way to solve this dilemma : Cobus ... Please add a "Gooi Mielies" / "Donate" button on your website - for those who would like to thank you.

39. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

It may sound like a good business plan, but it's not really. Maybe for a hobby income but not as a main income. The months of work that go into the updates is crazy for the amount we pay for it. I think Cobus' goal is probably to keep the packs affordable and at a price point that people at all income levels can afford and find value in. In my opinion, the exteriors kit is already there and already includes way more than what it is priced at.

In the end it is up to Cobus where to go with this. I'm totally fine with whatever he decides. Even if he keeps it as it is but delays free updates to put out some other paid packs to keep his family fed, I'm fine with whatever. :)

EDIT: Agree with the donate button on your website Cobus.. I think that is a must with your business model... heheh

Teila and S4G4N like this.
  40. Teila

Teila

Donations for work? No..this is his job. Ridiculous to expect a developer to work for donations. Geesh! He has a wife and kids. Plus, developers have to deal with losing income from pirates and competitors, so wow....I know you appreciate his work or you would not have bought it. Why not give him what is due to him?

I am sure he will add a few castles to the free pack to make people happy, but I do not expect a full pack added to what is already a HUGE overflowing pack.

We are losing so many developers here on the Unity Asset store due to customers not wanting to pay or waiting for sales...or even complaining that they don't get free stuff or deep discounts anymore. Not sure why this started happening recently but a culture of "cheap" has erupted these days.

We have already lost people like Michael O. and Phillip Schmidt...plus numerous others. Do we want to lose Cobus to Unreal or Turbosquid?

We need to support our favorite asset developers the best we can. That does not mean giving donations, that means paying a fair price for the work they put into the items we want. Donations only mean that half their work goes to people who won't donate. It also means that some of us will be paying for people who refuse to pay.

Sorry...that doesn't cut it. Donations are for charity, and Cobus deserves to be paid, not charity.

41. mwituni

mwituni

Well, it his chosen business plan. If it doesn't work for him, I'm sure he'll look at changing it.
    It's not for us to say if its good or bad. If there's 10 customers, its bad. If 10 thousand, excellent, that's all we know. At some point in-between is his sweet-spot .. only Cobus knows that.

Yes, but you're in the same boat as some others posting ... you've been a big user of the houses and first things in the package. Not all customers bought for those. I've never even loaded one of them into any scene. I did load up his free pack way back - before I purchased to check quality etc. And I loaded some of his wall stuff once - just to see how he builds "modular" units as I was building some waterfront bridges etc and thinking of using compatible sizes in case i ever sold them.

But really some of us bought "on faith" the roadmap stuff would come. So not got that "value" yet.

But maybe we are agreeing? ... I'm saying he might want to increase price as he expands. Which is similar to what you are saying. But Cobus may be thinking "I'll rather keep price down to keep sales numbers up" ... his choice.

42. Acissathar

Acissathar

I get what @mwituni is saying though. He bought the pack because of the items that were listed on the roadmap, which were listed in the description in being free for the pack. I doubt he is the only one who has done this, so for him to buy a product expecting what he was initially told only to be given a small sample and told "No you need to buy this now, I changed it" can cause some pretty negative feelings.

Mwituni didn't say he was totally opposed to this, he even mentioned trying it for future products, but to do it to a product late after customers have already bought in on an initial promise doesn't seem right.

On the other hand, I don't think there is one person who can say Cobus doesn't deserve every penny. He works really hard, and provides a ridiculously feature rich pack that keeps improving. Since most of us are indie or hobby devs, I'm sure we also understand that working for free doesn't pay any bills.

Overall though I'm not sure how I feel. I personally bought the pack based off of what was already released, with the roadmap as just additional goodies so charging for the updates isn't a big deal to me. I do see though that some people bought based off the roadmap, and charging them doesn't seem right.

mwituni and S4G4N like this.
  43. Teila

Teila

This is valid..up to a point. But Cobus does not need to add completely new packs to the Village Exterior pack to still meet the roadmap. The name is Village Exteriors, so he could add some castle parts, like walls, gates, etc., enough to build a walled Village Manor with keep.

Then he could sell additional castle parts, like fancy stuff, tons of towers, different shaped modular parts, etc. as a separate pack.

He would still be keeping his word without doing a lot of work for no pay. Remember, the original Village Pack was much simpler, not as much detail, much lower poly, etc. Today, with PBR and higher poly for desktop, the work is much more than expected. Plus, he goes a little crazy and makes way to much stuff. lol

Cobus is one of the sweetest guys I have ever met and he wants to do right. But I think those of us who own this pack need to do right by him as well.

Anyone who bought this thinking it would continue to add forever is being unrealistic. Things do need to change. Unity going free attracted more and more beginners, more of us without a lot of funds to buy Unity Pro. So...when that happened, there were fewer people buying assets and more waiting for sales and piracy increased as well.

We all have to move forward with changing conditions. If we want to use items in our games, games that many of us will want to sell on Steam or wherever, then we owe the developers who make items for much less than custom work and need to pay them according to their worth.

Those who bought the pack due to the roadmap will still probably get something from the roadmap. If not, then they need to realize that this is a business decision. Right now, he is only making money off of new purchases and since so many already own is products, that leaves much much less of a market for him.

If he makes add-ons that focus on individual themes, such as castles, markets, docks, etc., then he can make money off of us that have already bought is products. It expands the market. Losing those who won't pay will have no impact at all on him, since they are paying nothing anyway.

I do agree that the roadmap was overly ambitious. Danger there is that overly ambitious road maps often lead to burn out, especially when there is no reward. :) We need to all be adults and realize that sometimes, things have to change.

TeagansDad likes this.
  44. Teila

Teila

This won't work. Had he done it from the beginning yeah. But now future sales are depressed due to the fact that so many own his packs already.

45. mwituni

mwituni

Trolling is cheap
    If you aren't interested enough to click a donate button to "give what is due to him", then why abuse me about it?

You've got loads of value from this pack. I've seen your posts.
    But I've not used it. <- Please re-read that because it seems you are not understanding it.
    So how do you justify forcing me to pay more for something I've not used but been patiently waiting for? If anything I should pay less than you ... because I've had to wait for it (and still waiting). Yet you've already had loads of use from the pack.

The irony is ... some of us purchased this in good faith that what we were purchasing would come (on roadmap), and additionally - not even knowing what it would look like - but based on deliverables to date had a good idea. Not like you who could "see" the stuff you were buying to use. Yet you now try to make us feel bad that we had faith in a good developer.

Cobus, if this is a concern, then maybe consider breaking it up as people are suggesting ... at least for new customers going forward. Existing customers will be a problem.

Thank goodness Cobus is the dev and not you! ... you'd be quite happy to do something like that.

So ... what you are proposing is he should also remove 70% of the existing stuff in the pack and make those separate packs too, and force all existing users to purchase them if they want to use it. Because its called "Village Exteriors" not "village details" ... so maybe just a few low LOD houses, walls and fences. Oh wait - you use those ... so not that comfortable anymore ?!

46. psistalk

psistalk

Do as I do just buy all of his packs and that will assist him. He is as you said one of the nicest guys on here and his assets are incredible. I also look forward to any new packs he comes out with. What ever he chooses to do I'm supporting it.....and him

mwituni, S4G4N and Teila like this.
  47. Teila

Teila

I do...but after a while there are no more to buy! lol

S4G4N likes this.
  48. Olander

Olander

I have every one of the 3DForge assets. Some I have not even installed because they are too low poly to be used. This was my way of saying Thank You Cobus for....well....being Cobus. I do not post very often here but I do keep up the reading. I love what many of you have posted in and I will will state without a doubt that the 3DForge Interiors and Exteriors look much better in UE4.

I have spoken with Cobus privately about selling more small packages and people will gobble them up as well. Even though I disagree with his current policy, I do 'get it'. Cobus has stated clearly what is on the 'Roadmap' for exteriors. Also he has directly iterated to add a couple missing parts from the exteriors....not many but there are a couple. Cobus is doing what he stated he would do. None of us can argue about that. And I think we can all agree upon that.

If Cobus had a donate button on his web site....personally I think that would not look professional. That type of button is for Open Source type things where someone is coding/making things for the community. Any donations would be appreciative. I am of the opinion Cobus is doing this right. He is putting food on the table and doing what he absolutely loves to do. As soon as he places something on the Asset Store I will purchase it to support him and his family.

3DForge Castles and Cathedrals will be really nice once they come. I am sure of it. Whenever this happens. :)

I would like to say to Cobus.....thank for being a friend and thank you for being....Cobus.
    Cheers
    O

docsavage, S4G4N, mwituni and 2 others like this.
  49. mwituni

mwituni

I just want to clarify my earlier postings, as seems theres some misunderstanding.

In no way am I suggesting there's not value in the package as is - there is IMMENSE value and nothing similar exists. Its worth many times its price.

I was trying to explain that I (personally) am waiting for castles etc on roadmap. And purchased abt 6 months ago based on that, so have not put the package to use yet. Thats just the way we are building really. But that alone should be testament to the faith many customers have in him ... to purchase without thought for something on the roadmap.

That said, I saw some of the awesome prop updates a while back, and am pulling some of those into a scene.

But understand if Cobus wants to change his business model for whatever reason ... and that too would be fine as he would be fair about it.

S4G4N likes this.
  50. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hey everyone,

I have read through all of the comments and posts.
    I really appreciate all the compliments and the different perspectives shared by everyone :):):)

WOW, 1 year, did not realize that much time has passed.

A good bit of that time has gone into the very well received HD update for the Interiors Kit because I like to give back to the great community of users that support me.

I have always and will always do what I said I would do, that is part of who I am.
    When I give customer support and I have communications with users in private, the way I explain it, is simple
    I will treat each and every customer they way I would love to be treated if I was the customer.
    I have been here 4 years now and have become as close friends as you can via in the internet with many users and it is for them and all the new ones that have not discovered 3DForge or Unity yet that I am standing up and making something new every day :):):)

I am extremely fortunate that I can stand up every day and enjoy what I do so much, that I wish time would pass slower so I can do more.
    I have more then 60 NEW project down on paper so I keep track of them so there is NO shortage of ideas, many of them, stuff that is not on the Asset Store at all ( no matter how much you bribe me, I am not sharing the list :D )

Each and every item on the roadmap will be delivered ;)

I will after the Castles & Cathedrals and between some of the other roadmap items release some NEW packages that I am sure many of you would grab as well, for I do need the income stream flowing for me to keep doing what I love.

I am excited for when I am going to show first screenshots for the Castles & Cathedrals that is soon for I do think they will be great with the Interiors contents that was released of the same name and included in the Village Interiors Kit as well.

PS !!! I will most def have a bit of very cool news to post here inside the next 12 hours :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Cheers
    Cobus

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    TeagansDad, Whippets, mwituni and 2 others like this.