Search Unity

3DForge Exteriors

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by S4G4N, Apr 6, 2015.

1. S4G4N

S4G4N

HAHA, the best !!!

INSTANT SATISFACTION !!!
    You ask for it, and an hour later you have it even without having to download/update anything

I do think I will add more when this update lasts as well, but with those you can have a nice long wooden, stone or combo bridge spanning across with many different wall railing options to add.

***please don't forget to STAR rate and maybe review your 3DForeg packages ;)

Cheers
    Cobus

2. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

The packages have already exceeded my expectations. It was only after seeing Exteriors in all of the Gaia screen shots that got my attention originally. Then Dungeon Architect screen shots/video was the one that sold me on the Interiors. The combo is very nice.

3. kerrmedia

kerrmedia

just starting, I'm a programmer and have worked in 3D animation with Maya and Max, but just getting into C# with Unity. Is there a simple example of a script to use to open a door so the first person controller can go in and out of the houses with interiors?

S4G4N likes this.
  4. smada-luap

smada-luap

TheSeawolf and S4G4N like this.
  5. kerrmedia

kerrmedia

S4G4N likes this.
  6. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

I could send you mine if you don't wanna write one.

7. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hey there,

:):) If you don't mind sharing, I think many users can benefit from such sharing :):)

Thanks
    Cobus

8. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

Thinking about selling it for a very cheap price on the store (like $2), but thought I could give it away for free to him. Need to flesh it out a bit first.

S4G4N likes this.
  9. S4G4N

S4G4N

There is nothing wrong with that thinking, if you can make small helpful packages then others could buy it for it saves them time or skills they do not have

TheSeawolf and PhoenixRising1 like this.
  10. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

Thanks. I won't make any money until I release my game in a few years so I wanna try to make some money on assets so I can keep doing what I do. :)

11. S4G4N

S4G4N

Many assets on the asset store is born that way :)

12. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

Yep :).

13. kerrmedia

kerrmedia

I know there are a ton of examples out there, I was just thinking there might be something specific that was drag and drop for 3DForge doors. I'll work with the exterior and interiors and see what it takes to make a drop in script to open and shut the door. Still getting to know Unity3D, but know C#.

S4G4N likes this.
  14. smada-luap

smada-luap

Hmm... it's a bit dark in here.

screen_1920x1080_2016-03-09_19-41-38.jpg

We need some light. What happens when we pull a lever?

screen_1920x1080_2016-03-09_19-36-52.jpg

That's better, but how come they're not all lit? There's two back there that aren't...

It's all part of a small puzzle I'm putting in. Once you get all 8 lit, the door will open. Of course, I still have to figure out a way to convey that to the player but I'm working on it :D lol

15. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

Ok, but if you change your mind I don't mind giving you the script. It's very versatile :).

S4G4N likes this.
  16. kerrmedia

kerrmedia

put it up for $2 like you said. I'll be your first customer. :)

PhoenixRising1 likes this.
  17. kerrmedia

kerrmedia

Was there a 1.2.2 coming soon? Still only seeing 1.2.1

18. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

It will take some time to just get the documentation right though. I'll send you the package by PM in a minute. And I insist that you get it for free ;).

S4G4N likes this.
  19. kerrmedia

kerrmedia

OK, great, thank you!

S4G4N and PhoenixRising1 like this.
  20. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

No problem :).

S4G4N likes this.
  21. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

@ephemeral life , that script would be so useful for me also. Seriously, if you go to the trouble of setting up an asset store selling small scripts like this for $5, with clear instruction I will purchase it and others such as pick up item, drop item etc.

Cobus mentioned that many assets start that way, and i agree, of you have the ability and the knowledge, exploit it and it will create a base income for your future company. Especially if you provide clear and concise instructions. How easy was it to create the animation?

If I PM you, will you send it to me please?

S4G4N likes this.
  22. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

Hey.
    I will definitely release some more tools but some things are harder to implement like picking up and dropping items, since that would require a full inventory system and there's already a bunch of those out there. And I'm not sure how I would make mine stand out enough to get approved. I'm all ears for suggestions though :).

My goal is to make tools that are as easy as possible to use, while also being very performance friendly. It's very simple to create the animation - only takes a few seconds. I will try to make and upload a tutorial video today after adding some more stuff to it.

I'll send you a download link in a few minutes. I would very much appreciate an honest review once it's on the store if you don't mind :).

S4G4N likes this.
  23. smada-luap

smada-luap

Added a bit more light to the room so it's not completely dark :)

screen_1920x1080_2016-03-10_22-42-48.jpg

but once all of them are lit, the door opens for you to proceed (and it's a bit brighter :D lol)

screen_1920x1080_2016-03-10_22-50-25.jpg

24. MadnessGames

MadnessGames

Beautiful work guys!!! :) I might use this in my next game. As soon as i am done writing it :mad:

25. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

Thanks ephemeral life, I've just returned after working away this week.

I'll review the script tonight. Thank you. There are several other aspects of Cobus's material such as windows and drawbridges.

With the picking up and dropping items. I really only wanted the basic ability without the inventory at the moment, so that I could manipulate other things like logs, axes etc.

Cobus, thanks for allowing this small side topic, but it would be good if there was someone such as ephemeral life that was creating these scripts to enhance your assets. :)

PhoenixRising1 likes this.
  26. smada-luap

smada-luap

The problem then if there were scripts like this included with the kits then Cobus would start getting questions like "how does I configure this script" and "why doesn't this script work anymore". Cobus will (if he hasn't done so already in here) openly admit that he's not a coder.

I've got some scripts of my own that I've developed to take advantage of the assets - making doors open, etc. - but, while they're working and do what I want, they may not exactly fit in with the requirements of someone else, nor are they general purpose enough to cover all eventualities/requirements.

TheSeawolf likes this.
  27. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

It too bad we don't have something like visual studio code snippets for Unity3D. Something like this ...

http://visualstudiocodesnippets.com/

28. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

Do you mean picking up items and carrying them visually, and moving to a spot to drop it? Maybe it's best we continue discussing this in PM to not derail the thread anymore.

Edit: just found this tool on the store and I think that's what you're looking for, very cheap too:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/13714

However, if it doesn't do what you want it to do I guess I could make a bit more flexible tool. I have thought about using one myself for my game anyway :).

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    TheSeawolf likes this.
  29. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Tried yesterday a Small Farm featured on Gaia by Cobus; Thanks Mate :) going to have a lot of more fun within's

30. S4G4N

S4G4N

They looking great :)
    You becoming an expert at this

TheSeawolf likes this.
  31. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

With beautiful and well done Assets as yours (and i have only currently the parts provided in Gaia) we can have amazing results in projects/games creation...your last new Stuffs made me think still even more about TESIV & V^^

S4G4N likes this.
  32. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

@ephemeral life , thanks I will check that asset out, and reply via PM.

@smada luap , yep totally see your point old boy. The last thing Cobus needs is that, he already has a hard enough time replying to all our other queries like my next one. Basically all I was thinking, was if there was another asset creator like @ephemeral life or yourself for that matter, that had the ability and know how to create mini scripts like what was pointed out above, and discussed; then these could be sold separately and marketed alongside the 3D Forge brand/Village Kits in much the same way other assets are working alongside with Gaia et al.

It's so easy in theory :)

@S4G4N , now I know I have read this somewhere in the forum or in the documents somewhere but for the life of me I cannot locate it. When I have created a building joining all the prefabs together, how do I then save and export them as one prefab into another scene? Help Obi Wan, you're my only hope,

PhoenixRising1 and S4G4N like this.
  33. S4G4N

S4G4N

"Help on the way it is hopefully"

I have not done so myself, but I am sure several users have been.
    There are several tools that use the MeshCombine functions
    You can either use one of them, or if you a coder can call those functions.

I am an artist only so have none of those skills.

I trust someone that does have experience with that will pop in and give some assistance as well :):):)

34. smada-luap

smada-luap

Are you wanting them as a single mesh? If so then you'll need meshcombine tools as Cobus mentioned

If not then you could just make a prefab out of the whole building as you would for anything else - just have all the various items under a single parent game object

35. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi, just to add.

If you loo at any of the buildings that has been included or the BLUEPRINTS that you can download, you will see I always kept thing very well organized so that it is easy to change later or swap out and not have this parent object with a LOOOOOONG list of child objects inside.

If you look inside Assets\3DForge\FantasyExteriors\Village & Towns\Prefabs\Base\Templates you will see I provided some templates for different possible house configs to get any started quick and have the same nice organized finish result

Cheers
    Cobus

TheSeawolf and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  36. S4G4N

S4G4N

Just a small, EXTREMELY handy trick with Unity

Try it quickly for you will use it for MANY things in future.

Say you made a house and have a roof design that you want to swop out for another, or a specific wall design that you want a different wall time, or one of the other texture types.
    You might have this house already in a scene, rotated and nicely placed where you want it, but you dont want to disturb it. there is a very easy way

1. Click on the items that you want to swop out in the scene, then in the Hierarchy you will see that one item highlighted.
    2. Now go to your prefabs and find the part that you want to replace it with.
    3. Drag and drop that replacement item/prefab on the item that you do not want anymore, not just anywhere in the hierarchy.
    4. It will then be a child object and the one that you want to delete the parent.
    5. Drag that newly added child object out from the parent one and place right next to it.
    6. The both parent object now without children.
    7. Delete the unwanted one.

What this method has done, it has forced the newly placed one to take on the orientation and exact placement of that deleted parent item.

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  37. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

Lot's to think about and try, thanks Cobua and smada luap, I'll try these few things out and report back tomorrow.

By the way, I have just added your fast travel asset to my wishlist. Is it likely that any object can have the fast travel script added to it? Such as if I wanted a notice board or road sign to start the fast travel, then this will be possible?

S4G4N likes this.
  38. smada-luap

smada-luap

It's been a while since I looked at this but I think the script gets attached to a trigger collider to activate the fast travel.

39. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Yes.. Like @smada luap stated, you just need to add a trigger collider to whatever object you want to use. With some script modifications, you could even set it to on click probably. That way they would have to click the bulletin board to trigger the portal. But it should work. I have this package as well and it is a great addition if you are going to have any type of portals to whisk players off to a different area of your game. :)

Personally for something like a notice board or sign, I'd probably put something like @TonyLi's Dialogue System on it to have some interaction and then send them off using the teleport script based on responses. But that is just me. :p

If I can ever get my brain fog issues worked out to get back into heavier coding, I started developing a full featured portal system back in September that dealt with keys, runes, multiple portal options, etc which was being developed as a companion script for Cobus' system. But with health issues I started having problems following all the logic. So I had to table it for now. But hope to get to a point where I can finish it some day. Working on the Gaia stamp packs seems to have helped with some of the cognitive functions a bit.. Hopefully they will help clear the cobwebs and get things firing on all cylinders again... lol

40. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

I'm in the same spot as you - my brain is only working at a small percentage of what it used to before I hit the wall, but I'm just happy I can use it at all. I know that programming takes a bit longer than it should because of that but it'll pass one day and I can't wait for that to happen :). Funnily enough I'm having the most trouble with the very simple logic, dunno how that works, haha. May you have a fast recovery.

TheSeawolf, BackwoodsGaming and S4G4N like this.
  41. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

Good news, it seems the simplest way was the best. As mentioned by @smada luap , I simply highlighted all the parts and created a new object, then added all those parts to the new object. Then I was simply able to copy and paste into the new scene. By doing this I could still remove and add pieces to the object :)

Thanks for a the suggestions. I'll look at the fast travel aspect later on.

S4G4N likes this.
  42. S4G4N

S4G4N

I love the forums, the community so very helpful :)

The Fast Travel Portal is a cool little asset.
    Also fully modular and has
    1. Alien
    2. Ancient
    3. Dwarven
    4. Elven
    5. Fantasy
    Sets of glowing runes included as well as a pile of particle effects as you can see on the two webdemos

Sample showing particles

FPS Forest test scene

It can be a fun package to use with MANY games

Cheers
    Cobus

TheSeawolf and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  43. Apolyon6k

Apolyon6k

I have been doing a bit of building construction and noticed that I am either missing a piece for the frames or do not know how to work with them. The problem is that I have a building with 8*12 walls and to build the frame for it I used the 4 strait frame pieces but is there a simple pillar piece for the connections? In the templates, there is a combined mesh that uses single pillars but it is part of a combined mesh... I am no artist (designer / programmer) but I tried to get one of the pillars and the result was a black one. I know that I can fix the Unwrap and get the right texture but I was surprised that such a piece was either missing or not in the same place as the rest of the assets.

To clearify, have a look at one of the templates with only single frame pillars in the corners: framePillar.jpg

And I noticed another thing, some of the fences are only usable in top down mode because they have missing faces but not only at the bottom:
    MissingFacesFences.jpg
    Sorry for the crude drawing ;)

S4G4N likes this.
  44. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hey there,

1. I do not understand the first part of the post ?
    Sorry could you try explain with another picture or two, would love to add parts that users would assist them in getting
    the most out the package.

2. The railing missing face was done on purpose since they meant to be placed on the ground or on a floor or balcony
    edge with that "hole" to be planted flat on something and never be able to see it.

Looking forward to your response so I can point out where the part is or make sure I add it :);)

Cheers
    Cobus

45. Apolyon6k

Apolyon6k

I worked on an "adventure toolkit" in Unity 4.3 - 4.5 that helped me make small point and click adventures relatively fast and easy. Now I want to use the same toolkit for first person games or even rpgs and some people told me to publish them but they worked fine for me and are kind of all over the place, so might not be good for all. I found a lot of other packages on the store that do the same mine does but are more up to date, so I have "given up" publishing them because the amount of work would be a lot to make them more accessable and document everything for easy use.

I will use the toolkit for my projects but I am not sure if someone would want to buy my toolkit over the ones that are there already...

S4G4N likes this.
  46. Apolyon6k

Apolyon6k

1. : There are frame pillars missing in the corners and between the 4 wall pieces:
    brewery-exterior.jpg
    The problem here might just be that I do not know how to build with the assets and there is a better way to do it with the provided assets that I do not know of. Or maybe my building is just too big ;P (the roof sure is... at least for what i had in mind.)

2.: fences.jpg
    The house is located on a hill and you can walk just below the fences. house.jpg

S4G4N likes this.
  47. smada-luap

smada-luap

There are individual prefab pieces (can't remember their exact location, sorry - might be inside Templates or a "Small parts" folder) for the uprights and horizontal pieces where you can put together your frames for buildings/walls that go beyond the size of the prefabs given in the kit.

48. S4G4N

S4G4N

That is a GIANT BUILDING :)

I can make roofs any size I want with the project files I have.
    The reason I have not included them is that you will end up having HUGE flat roofs looking at you
    PM me and I can custom out such specific ones for you :):):) for I do not want to add lots of data that very few users would need.

The parts @smada luap was referring to can be found in
    Assets\3DForge\FantasyExteriors\Village & Towns\Prefabs\Base\Small parts\ToolBox\Uprights

The fence, I will make a note and with the next update add a set that have faces there as well.

Thanks for the cool feedback ;)

Cheers
    Cobus

49. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

It's very hard to make any real money selling tools, unless you come up with a brilliant idea. I think that my see-through solution is the best one out there by far but I've sold 10 copies in a month, for $5 each... ahah.
    It's sad really but like the door opening tool I'm working on now, I need it for my own project too, and I think will continue to sell tools that are useful for my own game. Not for making money, but to help out the community.

Nateply and S4G4N like this.
  50. S4G4N

S4G4N

What is cool about this,even though low numbers.

You would have done it anyways for yourself, but now if that small amount of cash every month can allow you to but or ow two packages a moth that you other wise would not have, it helps you get other tools you then dont have to write yourself