Search Unity

3DForge Exteriors

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by S4G4N, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Whippets

Whippets

A couple of planks should see it?

Wagon canvas tops or apex stall-type canvas covers would also be cool

S4G4N and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  2. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

Lol, love the prisoner carts...."A man has a thirst..."-Game of thrones reference.

3. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hey everyone,

More o the FREE contents that is completed for this update
    3 Bark textures
    3 Grain textures
    Chopped wood
    Piles of shorter sawed ones
    Stacks of longer ones
    Saw Horses
    Trucks to add to wagons, carts ...

Birch

Elm

Pine

Small selection closer

CLOSE UP

Should still get small parts, broken wagons, wheels and all that exported, then just the Well parts that was asked for then the AS package will be updates, so very close now

Cheers
    Cobus

4. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi,

All of these are In the Unity project space.
    Was not happy with the saw horses, so added some cross braces and they look much nicer.
    And added several more then the initial ones shows per wood type
    Just two shots with the Elm Tree Trunk textures

Just a quick Crag & Crop test in the Inn Demos scene

Doing the small wagon parts and static prefabs, since all the first ones was the setup for proper physics usage one

Cheers
    Cobus

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  5. Archania

Archania

Holy crap they all look amazing! Beautifully done!

S4G4N likes this.
  6. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi,
    Some of the static models, cool for quests, fix the wheel type things or just nice drag & drop props

Closer up

More soon
    Cheers
    Cobus

7. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi,

And here is a selection of single axle carts, several designs, with a tilted and a broken down version
    You will notice that they are also in 3 different wood textures.

Wood type "a"

Wood type "b"

Wood type "c"

Closer up

Cheers
    Cobus

8. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi,

The double axle "Wagons" all have version that has a chest/seat/wooden-box at the front with lid set up with pivot at right place for open and closing.

Cheers
    Cobus

9. smada-luap

smada-luap

Excellent pics

S4G4N likes this.
  10. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

Wow, the quality of this stuff is so good. I ´wasted´ so much time making houses it isn´t funny.

I through this request everywhere, so might as well beg here. One thing I really need is just a handful of stretched/drying hide props or things like skinned deer hanging.

S4G4N likes this.
  11. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I think he plans to eventually get to those as part of the props he sprinkles between major updates.. Here is that section of the props list on the roadmap:

S4G4N likes this.
  12. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

sadly, I missed the part I was looking for haha thank you.

S4G4N likes this.
  13. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

heheh... there is so much... when I've talked to Cobus, I've compared searching through his kits is like being lost in Warehouse 13 (for those of you who ever watched that TV series you can probably relate!) lol

S4G4N and Acissathar like this.
  14. Acissathar

Acissathar

I miss Warehouse 13, it was a very cool show.

15. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hey there,

Def coming, it is on the road map somewhere

Please dont forget to rate and review the package ;)

Cheers
    Cobus

TeagansDad likes this.
  16. S4G4N

S4G4N

test shot ;)

Updated the road-map on first post as well

Cheers
    Cobus

TeagansDad, Archania, Olander and 5 others like this.
  17. smada-luap

smada-luap

I thought you would have tidied up a bit before you took the camera out :p lol

S4G4N likes this.
  18. OHG777

OHG777

Just awesome!

S4G4N likes this.
  19. S4G4N

S4G4N

yeah, I found them lying around after giving a 3DForge user excess to them:);)
    He had to test them

smada-luap and Whippets like this.
  20. smada-luap

smada-luap

3DForge users - they're an untidy lot :D lol

S4G4N likes this.
  21. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Really really nice Cobus!!

S4G4N likes this.
  22. mwituni

mwituni

Thats because theres too many toys to pick them all up and put them back in the box

AdamGoodrich and S4G4N like this.
  23. docsavage

docsavage

Hi @Cobus,

Really nice carts and props there. Great work again!

One question. Will it be possible to swap out some of the buildings wood textures for the ones on the props? I really like the look colours of some of the timbers and their colours and would like to use them on the main building structures and other existing props. They could really brighten up a scene.

In fact they would look really nice in the village interiors kit!

Thanks

doc

S4G4N likes this.
  24. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi,

I have the core texture in HD, o I can try that, it is a very good suggestion indeed.
    stating "lighter", I can presume the darker wooden frames ?

Cheers
    Cobus

montyfi likes this.
  25. docsavage

docsavage

Exactly what I was thinking. But extending it to floors/walls/ceilings/stairs. Then props like barrels/beds/fences etc from both exteriors and interiors kits. Doesnt have to be just lighter, as different is nice too.

I have no idea if this is an easy task or a massive one as texturing 3d models is still on my list of things to learn. If it's a nightmare then apologies.

doc

S4G4N likes this.
  26. S4G4N

S4G4N

Those that have experience with it can maybe comment on it, but I think that is something that could be easily done with tone-mapping if my understanding o tone-mapping is correct :)

docsavage likes this.
  27. Teila

Teila

Well, that is a lot of work for one customer. lol

But..you could take the atlas into a paint program, select with a box the texture you want changed, cut it out. Then take the atlas with the wood you want, select it with a box, copy, and then paste it into a layer over the 1st texture. Then merge. As long as you replace the wood in the same exact place, it should look nice on your models.

It is easy to do, you need little experience at all, and you can use any paint program, Paint.net is free.

One thing that happens with purchased assets is that you MUST be able to tweak them to fit them into your own game. The cost of these things is tiny compared to what you get, so while it doesn't hurt to ask, it is a LOT more work for the artist to redo everything, when you can easily fix the ones you need yourself. A year ago, I just used everything the way it came from the asset store. Today...I have self taught myself to do a lot of things. Chances are you are younger than me and if I can do it, so can you. ;)

PhoenixRising1 likes this.
  28. docsavage

docsavage

Just another thought. Sorry!

Will these logs and timbers be soon accompanied by the standing 'live' trees and forests that they are felled from? Are you branching out (pun intended). It would be nice to see more birch trees in terrains.

29. Teila

Teila

BTW, one thing I do with the houses is turn the atlas texture grayscale. It allows me to use lighter color on them. Just make sure you lighten the texture. I will admit, the houses are a bit dark. I rarely use the regular texture on them. So I get why you want them changed. :)

kittik and montyfi like this.
  30. docsavage

docsavage

Hi Telia,

I wasn't sure if it was an easy change or a monster one. I suspected the latter which you confirmed. Thanks for the advice. I will be experimenting getting some buildings made from those woods.

Thanks.

Teila likes this.
  31. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hey there,

I bought some Speedtrees myself for they are damn good looking
    I will be able to match that closely, so I picked a few textures that are similar to Speedtree models that have received in the Desktop package that they sell.

The blocks on the texture sheet for the bark is a basic rectangular area, so anyone can paste a new block onto that spot if they have something that closer match the desired look

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    docsavage, AdamGoodrich and Teila like this.
  32. docsavage

docsavage

This sounds like it should cover it:)

S4G4N likes this.
  33. montyfi

montyfi

Great idea Teila! Should try it myself. I was going to ask about matching textures from those new props to houses too, but grayscale may actually work.

34. montyfi

montyfi

@S4G4N as you started to add logs and such, is it possible to add several fallen and dry trees too, so the player will be able to cut it and bring home those beautiful logs you already created?

35. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hey there,

I have nor ventured into high quality trees yet, that is why I have spent the money on Speedtree trees for future demo scenes, and rather concentrate on that which I am good with for now :)

Regarding users customizing textures I have just now added a .png file to the project that will be part of the update that will show the exact position of the mesh data on the texture sheet.
    Here it is for those that can not wait for a day or two Village Exteriors UV-lines
    Take it, place it on the topmost layer of your paint program and easily edit the textures or add new ones to your hearts content.

Always wanted to do that candy, jelly beans and chocolate house, here is your chance ;):)
    Just a quick test/play

Here the texture is applied

Have fun

Cheers
    Cobus

TeagansDad, montyfi and kittik like this.
  36. kittik

kittik

Looks like you're making Hansel and Gretel the game.

S4G4N likes this.
  37. montyfi

montyfi

Probably you have misunderstood me. I have lots of Speedtrees too.
    What I asked for is just some trunks like this (which is just a longer, crooked version of logs, that you already have, maybe with a branch or two). Maybe I underestimated the complexity of that work, then just forget about my request.

S4G4N likes this.
  38. docsavage

docsavage

This is top quality. Just having that simple explanation and .png file opens up a world of possibilities. You should make that a sticky to show potential customers what they can do.

Thanks @Cobus

S4G4N likes this.
  39. docsavage

docsavage

@Cobus,

When choosing the textures is there a limit to the texture size to be swapped in? If targeting just hi end devices and systems then is putting higher res textures on a possibility?

40. S4G4N

S4G4N

Ahh, now I understand what you were asking.

Well, you will be pleased to know, I specifically when doing the Birch trunks observes what they look like, not just being normal straight one, so I did upstanding and laying down versions with forks, and twists in them and smaller thinner ones branching off.
    So yeah, you will have them, they already in the project space.

You see, that is what I meant that you get more then expected, I have nor shown everything that is in the update on the screenshots, you going to have to dive through and see what all is given :):):)

Like opening another late Christmas present;)

ps, there is one small one that is also included that is not in the screenshot.
    a small 1ft long stump that is basically a stump that can be used to show where a trunk has been chopped of when it was still a tree standing up

Cheers

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    TheSeawolf, Olander, Archania and 2 others like this.
  41. S4G4N

S4G4N

It is my pleasure, glad that the response is helping

Well, the whole texture sheet is 4096 in the package, if you going older or less powerful devices, then you could scale it down to 2048 or even smaller, all depends on what you aiming for.
    So the amount of texture space is whatever that small area for say one wall slot occupies on the whole 4096 sheet.
    So get the best, most crisp texture that you can, scale it down and edit and filter and whatever you need to do to give you the potential result that you are looking for.

That is the big texture job that the creators does that sometimes takes very long.
    Have to look at stuff like texture seams, like the roof texture block, you can not see the texture join easily.

Anways, glad I can help with my replies.

Cheers
    Cobus

42. docsavage

docsavage

That makes sense. When I finally finish the coding side of my game then graphics are next. So much to learn and so little time.

S4G4N likes this.
  43. montyfi

montyfi

Holy Cow! You are amazing! Thank you!

S4G4N likes this.
  44. Archania

Archania

I love Christmas presents. And every time you open one of Cobus packages it is Christmas morning (without having to clean up the paper!). There are so many things in all of his packages, you'll get a headache trying to see them all!

S4G4N likes this.
  45. Whippets

Whippets

Piles of sawdust?

S4G4N likes this.
  46. S4G4N

S4G4N

I am actually busy with this at this moment, but it will be slightly more chunky and be wood chips to fit with the axes that I also did, will show next of that, small chopping and larger double axe

Whippets likes this.
  47. smada-luap

smada-luap

For comedy effect, why not have a rather ornamental looking axe used for wood chopping that's embedded into a log :) or one that you would otherwise think would be a weapon :D

S4G4N likes this.
  48. Whippets

Whippets

Poor mans version of the sword in the stone?

kittik likes this.
  49. smada-luap

smada-luap

Maybe.....

:D

S4G4N likes this.
  50. Olander

Olander

@docsavage You can easily make lots of variety of Cobus' texture sheets. With a little practice can even mix and match your versions with just a few cuts and layering in GIMP 2.8 (Free) or Photoshop. Both of those I can verify with certainty that they work perfectly for layering these art assets. As @Teila stated a very nice technique is desaturating layers then adding color back. Personally I lean on HSL color sliders a lot more which is super easy to slide the RGB channels to get the color you want. There are no real numbers since HSL simply plays with your current color palette. You can apply HSL to each layer individually then mix and match to make endless texture maps. Then simply switch between them while in the Unity 5 Editor with an Editor Script or even at Runtime with the same Editor script.

@S4G4N The forests are eagerly awaiting to be chopped down with these new wonderful additions. The Merchants and Guards also have carts to use and are eagerly rubbing hands together to putting them to work. :)

S4G4N likes this.