Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

3D TV

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by atmuc, Nov 18, 2018.

1. atmuc

atmuc

I will build a game for 3D TV. My TV resolution is 1920 x 1080. I will render side by side. I have Nvidia GTX 970 and 1080 on my computers. I have a few questions;

1. When rendering side by side, will frame resolution will 960 x 1080?
    2. Can I render sequentially like bluray to have 1920 x 1080 resolution?
    3. Do 4K 3D TVs support higher 3D resolution?
    4. Do the monitors that support 3D, support higher 3D resolution?
    5. Does Apple TV support 3D TV with side by side rendering?

2. bgolus

bgolus

Nope. It's two 1920x1080 images side by side usually.

As per question 1, you don't need to do that to get the full resolution. However if your TV supports that, it might work. Sequential rendering means you can never miss a frame or the eyes might flip.

Maybe? Doubtful though. No reason for TVs to support it officially since there aren't any 4k 3D Blu rays or streaming services that can do it.

Yes. They'll do 3D at what ever the native resolution of the screen is.

And here's the real question.

No. Apple TV does not support stereo 3D rendering at all. More over the device doesn't have the power to do real time 4k rendering of really anything. It barely does 1080p @ 30fps most things. You could certainly render out side by side into a 1920x1080 if your TV or monitor supports enabling stereo 3D on arbitrary inputs. But that brings us back to question 1. So I guess the real answer is yes, it will be at half resolution.

Note several 3D TVs before the 4k era couldn't actually display both eyes at 1920x1080, so they could only display at 960x1080 or 1920x540 per eye regardless of the content.

3. atmuc

atmuc

@bgolus Thanks for the answers

To do this graphics card should have 3840 x 1080 resolution. I should use Screen.SetResolution(3840, 1080, true); to force that resolution. I will check it.

I hope Unity directly support those monitors with side by side rendering. I don't know 3D monitors well. I have to check if they use active or passive 3D TV glasses or only Nvidia Vision glasses.

Actually, my real target is not Apple TV. I am developing an eye treatment system. There are very simple 3D objects in my application, so Apple TV processing power will be enough for my application. I don't think that Apple TV will support 3840 x 1080 resolution, so side by side rendering will be at the half resolution.

4. bgolus

bgolus

3D monitors work a bit differently than 3D TVs. I don't believe Unity has built in support for 3D TVs using side by side rendering. However 3D monitors are supported.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/StereoscopicRendering.html