Search Unity

3D Tower Defense Starter Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Baroni, Mar 30, 2012.

1. johnnydj

johnnydj

thanks, since you replied I added a ton of new stuff: loading screens, level select menu with draggable UI, enemy hp increases every stage and every wave, able to buy skills before you play to permanently increase tower damage or radius with currency etc.
    However, I'm stuck at something totally stupid... When I make my own tower and make a prefab out of it, everything is cool, I can place the tower (with tower rotation script) but the problem is even tho the tower follows the enemies, it doesn't shoot at all... then after a good 15 seconds, starts shooting randomly...

the only way I was able to make it work, was to clone of your towers and change the model on them, but it's still bugging me why I can't make a new tower at all.
    the only thing I noticed is after placing the tower I went back into the editor and if I select the tower, there are 3 raycast lines (green) which I suppose is the field of view for the shooting, they are not positioned on the ground. they are positioned at the level that the turret is.
    Is that a problem? even if I move the turret down, the tower still won't shoot.

2. Baroni

Baroni

Wow, that's a great list of additions! It's nice to hear back from you.

Well, since you're able to switch the model of one of my towers, the prefab config obviously has something to do with it. I suggest checking the important inspector values of TowerBase such as shotAngle (0 by default, but has to be greater than 0 when using a turret!) and those in the Upgrade script (range, delay etc.).

You're right, the green raycast lines form the field of view for your tower. The lines are just there for a visual representation - the turret does not need to be placed on the ground. It will use the range that you've specified in the Upgrade script. In case it's not a problem, you can also send me your model and I'll try to set up a prefab for you.

Regards

3. johnnydj

johnnydj

sure, I can send you a model. it's just something simple I made for testing how to make my own turrets :)

4. Mr. Supriono

Mr. Supriono

Hi Baroni, can u tell me how to call mainmenu and cancel gui without press esc button ? Now I developing for mobile, but how to call the gui (I mean pause screen) on mobile with touchscreen control ?
    :neutral:

5. Baroni

Baroni

Hi Mr. Supriono, welcome to the forums :)

On mobile devices, the ESC key is simulated by the "back" key. Have you tried it on a mobile device yet?

Or do you mean that you want a separate GUI button for calling that functionality? In this case I would like to refer to the tutorials on the NGUI homepage, for creating a GUI button and linking it to the CheckESC() method in GUIImpl.cs.

6. Mr. Supriono

Mr. Supriono

Hmmm, yes I want use separate GUI button for calling that function, I never try it for real mobile device, I still using emulator cz I dont have much money for buy android device that can run 3D games, :(

but thanks for reply, nice one starter kit :)

7. johnnydj

johnnydj

Baroni, 1 thing I noticed is that when I run around 60 enemies, in Profiler HOTween.Update gets pretty high because it's running 60 tweens.
    I heard that with iTween it's possible to use the same tween so we could end up with only 1-2 tween calls?

How would be possible to modify, or create a script for the enemies to use iTween?
    I tried to do something, but failed at the attempt, cause WaveManager is assigning the path to the enemy, while TweenMove is another separate script and converting paths all over :)

8. Baroni

Baroni

I haven't heard of reusable tweens in iTween. An earlier version of the kit utilized iTween as a tweening library, until I switched over to HOTween for performance reasons. iTween produces notable hickups during initialization, which basically means at every waypoint, also it does not include the option for curved paths. I wouldn't use iTween again. HOTween has a setting for reusing tweens that are set to AutoKill = false, but you won't achieve 1-2 tweens, unless your enemies have the same height and move on the same path. I'm no expert in HOTween's reuse functionality though, so I can only ask you to repost your HOTween.Update / reuse question in the official HOTween thread here:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/118515-HOTween-a-fast-and-powerful-Unity-tween-engine

9. Art1511

Art1511

Hi, I have some questions about the kit:
    1.the kit have bonus support? Like bombing, 1 more chance...
    2. If i make a multplatform mobile, is better make for ios or android (and after convert)?
    3. I can add new paths by difficult of level?

10. Baroni

Baroni

Hi Art1511, welcome to the forums.

Could you please explain your first point a little more? I don't get what you mean there.
    Regarding multiplatform development, Unity does a great job on converting the files for you, so it doesn't really matter what platform you develop for in the first place. iOS has more paying users than android, though.
    You can set up a new level (scene) for each difficulty and specify your paths in the level, or you could code a script that detects the difficulty setting and adds new paths at runtime. The second variant is obviously more complicated.

Regards,
    B.

11. johnnydj

johnnydj

hi Baroni, thanks for the support you gave me and everyone else :)
    well I have about 4 paths on a level, and most of the enemies have the same height.
    where can I disable that Autokill function?

Also, since we last talked I made some more additions: draggable spells on the battlefield with cooldown, upgrade menu to upgrade the spells with coins, upgrade cooldown on spells, towers etc :D
    I will also want to be able to plant bombs on the ground in the future :D

I will have to check into that Hotween thing more, because it's the only one killing performance a bit.

UPDATE: I found the following in your TweenMove file:

I changed that to false, but the Tweens still disappear :p

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  12. Baroni

Baroni

Hey again, it's been a pleasure :)

Umm.. right, in Properties.cs the tween gets also killed in OnDeath() when the enemy dies, so it stops moving. I read the reply from Izitmee on the HOTween.Update issue, it's sad that one tween for different tweens is not possible.. however I hope this super friendly guy can help you.

These are really nice features, it's great to see that you spend that much time in my kit :) Actually, some of your features are on my list to integrate in the coming months too. May I ask you if I could have a look at them? Please respond to me via private messages for any details.

13. johnnydj

johnnydj

yeah there might be a different issue, since he used more than 60 tweens on a much older phone.
    I will have to dig deeper and see what's causing the lag for me.
    PS: check your inbox :)

14. Mr. Supriono

Mr. Supriono

Hi Baroni, I have some question to you, are u using some script for object tag ?
    I want change the ground tag into my (Indonesia) language such as "ground / darat", "air / udara", and "both / keduanya"
    I know the tag named "ground" ,"air" and "both" will affect the tower functionality, I just change every script and tag related to "ground" and "air",

here changed script : towerbase.cs (at line 40, 41, 42, 45) , selfcontrol.cs (at line 203, 204)
    I also edit tag name at tag manager: ground tag change into darat, air tag change into udara, both tag change into keduanya.

After I change script and tag I found problem on my tower, the tower doesn't work if targets is only "darat" (ground in your language) or only "udara" (air in your language), enemy in range but the tower not attacking, the tower only work if targets is "keduanya" (both)...

How can I solve this problem ? I just want modify ur tower defense kit into Indonesia language
    Please help me :(

15. Baroni

Baroni

Hi Supriono,

you nearly did all of the work already, the last two references are in SelfControl.cs line 190 and EnemySetup.cs line 29 (optional). Also, please change line 37 in RangeTrigger.cs to the new "Both" enum. Verify that this if-check of the tower detects enemies correctly, maybe put a Debug.Log in there. Tags are case sensitive, you may want to check that too.

Regards

16. Mr. Supriono

Mr. Supriono

Ok, thanks for quick reply... :) , I'll try ...

17. Mr. Supriono

Mr. Supriono

Hi Baroni, still doesn't work .....
    I check and change all enemy prefabs tag at project via inspector.. I check all script that you suggested...
    and I also check tower properties,

The Tag "Ground" and "Air" suddenly appear if I press play button, when I press start at game I check enemy properties...
    curiously... the enemy tag still "ground" not changed into "darat", I see the tag "ground" and "air" added automaticly at tags manager

$ss2.jpg

I hope u can help me to solve this problem :(

18. Baroni

Baroni

Whew, that was a complicated one. The "Ground" and "Air" tags get automatically added if a reference to them is still present in the game. Even if you change the tag in the TagManager, the enemy prefabs will still have the "Ground" tag assigned, even if you think it was overwritten and displays as "Darat" in the editor! That's the tricky part. You have to select each enemy prefab and assign the new tag again.

I used this code to find more references to the "Ground" tag:
    Code (csharp):
    1. GameObject[] objs = GameObject.FindGameObjectsWithTag("Ground");
    2. for (int i = 0; i < objs.Length; i++)
    3.   Debug.Log(objs[i].name);
    Using this code, I found out that the "Terrain" and "Gate" gameobject in the scene also have the "Ground" tag assigned.
    Please change their tag too. Hope this helps!

19. Mr. Supriono

Mr. Supriono

Hi Baroni, thx again for quick reply :)
    Now I can solve the problem, firstly.... create new scene, then make sure all "prefabs" in project are not using "ground" or "air" tags, then I remove the "ground" and "air" tags from tags manager, thenn save the project and restart the unity ... and taadaa, all tower are working back !! all tower can detect tags "darat", "udara", and also "keduanya"

thxx very much for greatt starter kit baroni, u rocckkk man !! :D

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  20. Baroni

Baroni

Haha, I'm glad to hear that you got it working, thank you :)

21. Baroni

Baroni

Hello to all,

I want to give you a quick overview of the features I'm working on and things you can expect in the future.

For the next release, version 1.4, two features are not ready yet:
    - one of them is the endless mode, especially endless options. The endless mode spawns enemies until the player stops or loses the game. Now, endless options allow you to gradually increase the difficulty per iteration or wave. The increase can be set as a fixed or percentual value. I don't want to reveal too much here, imagine a +20% enemy health or number increase after every iteration would be possible!
    - the second feature are the (long awaited) power ups for towers. Similiar to tower upgrades, this option boosts one of the main abilities of a tower, but only for limited time. Power ups for a specific property can be easily set in the editor, along with a particle effect that shows up right at the tower. Power ups have a cooldown before they can be used again.

The first feature is nearly done, I'll submit the new update when both features are ready. I expect this to happen in July. Version 1.4 also contains a few smaller features as well as performance improvements to existing prefabs and various fixes. You'll find more information in the official release notes once they are ready.

In the long run, this kit will improve in many areas I haven't mentioned anywhere yet. There will be improvements and new additions in flexibility, while providing the same easy-to-use interface as before. Version 1.5 and maybe other 1.x releases will be out this year too. For version 2.0 you can expect groundbreaking features that no comparable tower defense kit supports (at the time of writing). I won't mention these features in the near future, but I do have an internal roadmap for them. In case you've bought our kit and would like to get a few snippets of information, please send me your invoice no. at info@rebound-games.com. We would like to discuss with you!

See you soon,
    B.

22. Mr. Supriono

Mr. Supriono

hi baroni,, can you help me ?? :(
    how to count total of enemy in one wave? I want to change enemy alive info mechanism from increment per spawn into once (total of enemy in one wave)
    I just want to count all enemy at once per wave...,

srry for my bad english .... :(

23. Baroni

Baroni

Hi,

the WaveManager class stores a list of wave information at the top of the file, named "options". Each wave (option) has a list of integers for the amount of enemies per type in this wave, named "enemyCount", scroll down to the bottom of the file to find the wave properties.

When a wave starts, you would want to iterate over each enemyCount integer in that wave, and sum it up, then store this value as the enemy alive info. Also, make sure to remove the increment call per spawn in WaveManager's method "SpawnEnemy".

24. EskemaGames

EskemaGames

oh my god, 1.4 and my last version is 1.1, I have to find my download links to update this :p

25. Baroni

Baroni

If you've lost the email, just send me a message from the email adress that you've used for your purchase, then I'll resend the download confirmation. Endless options are done by now, still integrating the final steps for power ups. Let me know what you think of these features :)

26. galent

galent

Hey Baroni,

I know I'm waiting for those new features :) I was working on power ups when I saw you are implementing it :D

27. B2F

B2F

I see in the manual there is a "Shot Effect" option on the TowerBase script but mine doesn't seem to have that option. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

28. Baroni

Baroni

There is no such option. I commented that out a while ago, seems like the manual has an old image of the TowerBase script. Thank you for pointing this out, I'll update the image (or implement a shot effect option, finally).

29. B2F

B2F

Okay. Thanks for the quick reply! That would be a nice addition.

30. B2F

B2F

My friend was playing around with my project and now for some reason when i start the game my towers wont shoot the enemies. They are able to be placed and upgraded fine, but they just don't shoot the enemy. Any idea what is causing this? The range indicator shows they are in range.

31. Baroni

Baroni

Enemies "collide" with the tower if they are in range, so the tower can see and shoot them. You can test this behavior with a tower that has a turret. If the turret does not rotate to the enemy, then something is incorrectly set up on either the enemy layers, colliders, or tower upgrade settings (shot delay, field of view, target amount etc.). That's only a presumption. If you haven't changed anything else, your best bet would be to delete and reimport the kit.

32. B2F

B2F

It was an enemy layer issue. All fixed now. Thanks!!!

33. Art1511

Art1511

The kit have something already done to put bonus in a game? Like, you win 500 exp. you can use a repair kit in your towers.

34. Baroni

Baroni

No, there aren't any bonus items / settings included. There will be passive power ups in a future release, which will require an amount of ressources for the initial purchase and then enhance a portion of the game permanently. But I do not think that these come close to a "bonus" feature.

35. Mr. Supriono

Mr. Supriono

Hi Baroni, I just test your TD kit in my motorola XOOM MZ601, run nicely.. but I found something like bug,
    some of projectile from arrow tower hit the enemy but do not deal damage ..., in the game I see so many arrow projectile with no damage (hit the enemy but not deal any damage), can u help me to fix it ? :(

36. Baroni

Baroni

Can you confirm that the projectile actually hit the enemy? Please insert a Debug.Log(damage) at the very beginning of the Hit() method of Properties.cs and tell me the result. If the projectile hits the enemy, the damage should be logged to the console. If no log appears, there is a collision problem we have to investigate then.

37. Mr. Supriono

Mr. Supriono

hmmm..., curiously while I play in editor I not found that bug, all projectile hit with damage
    there the debug log from properties :
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    Properties:Hit(Single) (at Assets/3D Tower Defense/Scripts/Enemy/Properties.cs:94)
    <OnTriggerEnter>c__Iterator20:MoveNext() (at Assets/3D Tower Defense/Scripts/Projectile/Projectile.cs:209)

it just happen while play in my motorola mz601 .... x__x

oh yeh, I also found other error log :
    ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
    System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.Int32,ProgressMapObject].Add (Int32 key, .ProgressMapObject value) (at /Applications/buildAgent/work/b59ae78cff80e584/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/Dictionary.cs:404)
    ProgressMap.AddToMap (UnityEngine.GameObject mapObjectPrefab, Int32 objID) (at Assets/3D Tower Defense/Scripts/GUI/ProgressMap.cs:50)
    TweenMove+<OnSpawn>c__IteratorB.MoveNext () (at Assets/3D Tower Defense/Scripts/Enemy/TweenMove.cs:92)

what is that ? can u explain it to me ? :(

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  38. Baroni

Baroni

I don't have that phone, but I'll look over my code and try to find the reason for that to happen.

This error occurs if an enemy object, that uses the progress map, wants to use a slot on the progress map that was already taken by another enemy object. This happens due to despawning and re-spawning of the same enemy. I fixed this error in my development build, which will go live next week. You can ignore this for now. If you need the fix urgently please pm me your invoice number.

39. Mr. Supriono

Mr. Supriono

Hi Baroni, still about bug...
    I found hit() bug while I speed up the game by twice using Time.timeScale=2

projectile hit the enemy.... but some of them were not hit, I see that from the console... some hit() method from properties.cs not send log to console...

I think (maybe) timescale and framerate is responsible for this all, the script related to hit() can't handle large amount of projectile that works at same time, I also found same bug if I set the arrow tower shoot delay faster than 1sec (in this case I set the tower shoot delay into 0.4sec) :(

I visually found more than 20 projectile with no damage while play with my Motorola XOOM MZ601, the framerate is 11-18fps.

$bug.png

how to fix it ? can u help me ? :(

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  40. Baroni

Baroni

Hey Mr. Supriono,

oh, I see. Thanks for the additional screenshot.

Speeding up the game in combination with fast projectiles and low framerate really is a bad mix. There isn't much I can do about Unity's collision system at the point where it just skips collisions, but I will investigate it and let you know the result this week. 0.4 seconds shot delay shouldn't be a problem at all, however with a timescale twice as fast as normal the same restriction applies.

Edit: Found a useful hint/script here: http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/55179/cheapest-way-to-catch-collisions-on-very-fast-movi.html.
    Hopefully this goes into the next release.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  41. Mr. Supriono

Mr. Supriono

hmmm, sounds bad ....,
    seems complicated :(

42. Baroni

Baroni

For now, the only thing you can do is to make sure that your game runs smooth and to not use projectiles at the speed of light. If they're moving too fast, they "teleport" from one position to the next, thus don't collide with an enemy between these two positions. I'm on it :)

43. Baroni

Baroni

Hi all,

in this post I explained the features I'm working on for version 1.4. Good news! It's done.

You can playtest the new version and all of the scenes here:

Mentionable additions are the power ups in the desktop version, which are just a selection of a many options possible. You can specify many more different power ups than that. In the mobile version there's the endless mode, that increases the amount of enemies and their health. The third endless option (not showcased here) is an increase of the enemy's shield, that is also a new addition by itself.

I have to prepare the release notes and update the documentation before packaging it up for our store / the Asset Store. Let me know what you think :)

44. Mr. Supriono

Mr. Supriono

waw, pretty cool features, nice work baroni

hmmm... I have a question..., how to change enemy flying level ? I want to increase that ...

45. Baroni

Baroni

Thanks!
    Change the "sizeToAdd" value in the inspector for TweenMove on your enemy.

46. Baroni

Baroni

Version 1.4 is pending review.

A lot of work has gone into this one, making it the biggest release yet. Endless waves, power-ups and more! As we made a few changes to existing components and renamed some variables for better understanding, please prepare a backup before updating. If you experience any issues in the update process, please let me know. You can have a look at the following release notes to preview the upcoming changes. Also, we uploaded our documentation online for everyone to see, here:

Online Documentation

And here's a link to the new web player.​

Finally, prepare yourself for the release notes (which can be found in the documentation too):

V1.4

Fixes Changes
    • WaveManager.cs: wave spawning is aborted if player already lost the game
    • TowerBase.cs: when placing a tower, turret rotation affected shot position
    • TowerBase.cs: improved enemy detection for turrets, now checks in intervals
    • TowerBase.cs: “damageMultiplier” renamed to “controlMultiplier”
    • Adv_GUIImpl.cs, GUIImpl.cs: refreshes upgrade tooltip values in intervals
    • GUIImpl.cs: health/shield bar do not twist when at the edge of the screen
    • GUIImpl.cs: label “towerName” renamed to “headerName”
    • GUIImpl.cs: now has an upgrade effect for towers too, updated scenes
    • Pool.cs: fixed DestroyAllInactive(true) for inactive amount less than preload
    • Pool.cs: limiting enemies works correctly, fixed null reference error
    • Projectile.cs: added checkbox for toggling continuous collision detection
      for fast moving projectiles that could possibly skip collision on their trajectory.
      Credits to http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=DontGoThroughThings
    • AudioManager.cs: does not overwrite background music if it is playing already
    • ProgressMap.cs: fixed rare reuse error with more than many enemies
    • MainMenu.cs: “sceneIndex” int variable changed to “sceneName” string value
    • Project: various other fixes and small adjustments in other scripts
    • Project: re-created tower and enemy prefabs based on new additions
    • Project: scenes and NGUI atlases updated with new UI changes and symbols
    • Project: new main selection scene “Intro” for all scenes available in this kit
    • Project: “About” window added, located under Window > TD Starter Kit
    • Project: the kit is no longer compatible with the free version of NGUI
    • updated Models.zip, Unity4_Files.zip and documentation accordingly
    Features
    • PowerUpManager.cs, PowerUpEditor.cs, PowerUps.cs: offensive and defensive power-ups added for use in the game (see the web player!). Offensive power-ups affect enemies and have many different options to choose from, e.g. explosion damage, slow, damage over time or weakening effects. Defensive power-ups boost your towers and increase properties over a fixed duration. The PowerUpEditor window makes it a breeze to add new power-ups.
    • Properties.cs: damage absorption added (shield). A shield absorbs a damage value before passing the damage left to the enemy’s health points. It will start its regeneration after a custom delay in custom intervals.
    • Project, Properties.cs: enemies now use NGUI UISliders for their health and shield bar. This allows the drawing of all HUD bars through one UIPanel, thus resulting in one draw call. Also, enemies now use a flat, textured plane as shadow visualization instead of a projector. Shadows with the same size are getting batched into one draw call as well – increased performance!
    • Project: added more than a few new particle effects and “CircularEmission.cs”
    • GUIImpl.cs: visible improvements in the upgrade tooltip before upgrading a tower. The labels “stats” and “upgradeInfo” were added to the “lbl” class
    • WaveManager.cs, WaveEditor.cs: endless options added. Increase health points, shield values or amount of enemies in a fixed or percentual way per wave iteration. The EndlessMode regulates the spawning of endless waves. You can choose between normal, endless (loop over all waves, start from the beginning) and randomEndless (pick a random wave after each wave). Along with endless waves, fields for overwriting health points and shield values of an enemy in the WaveEditor settings were added per wave.
    • WaveManager.cs: added checkbox for automatically cleaning up unused instances of all Pools before spawning the next wave. Useful for endless waves, where otherwise memory gets eaten up quickly.

I will let you all know when the new version is published and available on the stores. Thanks!

Regards,
    B.

47. Baroni

Baroni

Version 1.4 has gone live! Save big bucks with our

1.4 LAUNCH SALE --- 30% OFF!

Get it here

48. B2F

B2F

I'm having this same issue of projectiles going too fast and not colliding with the enemy,

49. Baroni

Baroni

Did you toggle the new "continuousCollision" variable for your projectile? I successfully tested it with high speed projectiles.

50. John-Sandrey

John-Sandrey

Just downloaded the newer version and it has been a while, but i remember a zip file i needed to unzip and replace to get the game to work. the newer one does not have that zip file any more and I cant target anything. Still using 3.5 pro on a mac if that helps.