Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

3D Tower Defense Starter Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Baroni, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Baroni

Baroni

Hi @Kaemalux, the feature list for this version is complete. Currently this asset is in a bug fixing phase. I won't go away - so if you experience any bugs or issues in using it, I will make sure to fix them in a timely manner. There is a plan for a major overhaul (version 2) once the new navmesh system is introduced.

Kaemalux likes this.
  2. Kaemalux

Kaemalux

Thanks a lot for clarifications, i appreciated the answer!

I have just one more question: do you think the plugin could be fully functional in 2D environment or it would be too limited? I am playing with demo scenes at the moment and i was wondering if a XY setting could work.
    Thanks again, have a nice day!

3. Baroni

Baroni

Having a top-down view (X-Z) is basically nothing more than just positioning your camera to look straight down on the terrain/surface. That's obviously something supported right out the box, as it doesn't come with any changes to orientation axes. If you would like to have a sidescroller perspective, then that's something that would require adjustment of the tower placement grids to work or spawn a tower on that axis. The asset has not been built as a 2D sidescroller in mind, but that very much depends on your exact requirements and game design. All of the current scenes make use of game objects in 3D.

4. Budgieboy

Budgieboy

Hey, does this kit support enemies attacking the towers yet? Is there no way to just make them fire at the nearest tower withing range as they pass?

5. Baroni

Baroni

Hi @Budgieboy, development of that feature (or any new features for this kit) has stopped for the meantime. I have a version in development with a working prove of concept for it, but it is nowhere near release due to asset support and other projects in development taking up most of my time already.

I'm still here for fixing bugs, if you find any, or give advices on how to implement something like this for yourself. So for that "enemy attacks tower" feature specifically, first you need to declare a health variable for the tower. The enemy then needs a bigger collider detecting towers in range, similar to what towers do with enemies, and store them in a list. As for projectiles, you could simply reuse the existing projectiles but specify a tower as target. On hit, they would decrease tower health, until the tower get removed from the scene ( <= 0 health).

Actually it is not "a lot" of work to implement this, although I've wanted to integrate the new navigation system along with this and that's what caused a lot of dependencies in code.

6. EvolutionOfWar

EvolutionOfWar

Hello Baroni,
    I'm trying to change WaveManager settings through script while the editor is running, (i.e. Changing Gamemode, WaveStart option, Wave Settings), and all that does seem to change but the waves never seem to start coming.
    Any work around or do I need to make a new scene with these settings in place?

7. Baroni

Baroni

Hi @EvolutionOfWar, you mean changing the WaveManager settings while the game is running? If "autoStart" is enabled on the WaveManager, the waves will start automatically when its Start() method got processed. If you disabled this, or do your changes afterwards (after Start()), then you can call StartWaves() on the WaveManager manually.

EvolutionOfWar likes this.
  8. Baroni

Baroni

With the release of Unity 2019.1 this week, we have deprecated our asset "3D Tower Defense Starter Kit" on the Unity Asset Store, effectively removing it from sale.

Existing customers can still download it via their purchased assets overview. Also, we are going to provide support for as long as possible. However, please note that there won't be further updates, in the cases of feature requests, bugs or Unity incompatibility errors.

3D Tower Defense Starter Kit was our first Unity asset released on the Unity Asset Store mid 2012. We have gained much experience over its lifetime, and actually created another asset out of it as well - our most popular Simple Waypoint System asset. Unfortunately in the last few years, there has not been much interest in our asset, or maybe the Tower Defense genre in general. With more and more competitors showing up on the Unity Asset Store and Unity releasing their own tower defense template for free, sales on our asset nearly dropped to zero. Switching Unity versions for such a complete project is difficult and to keep up with the pace at which Unity releases new features (scriptable rendering pipeline, LWRP/HDRP, DOTS, shader graph and soon visual scripting), a lot of work would need to be invested, without being profitable at all. Because of this, we decided to deprecate this kit, so we are able to put more energy and focus on our other assets.

Thank you for your understanding.