Search Unity

3D Space Game Creation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deleted User, May 21, 2019.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello everyone

I wanted to know can I create a game that is a almost a mix of Space Engineers and Kerbal Space Programs. Any tutorial I find is too old .

Any Help is Thankful.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2019
  2. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Kiwasi likes this.
  3. Murgilod

Murgilod

This isn't the sort of thing you'll find tutorials for. Both those games rely a lot on custom systems that are very specific to themselves. I'd go so far as to say that if you need a tutorial, this is not the kind of project you should be doing.

4. Billy4184

Billy4184

What does 'almost' mean? What mix? Do you have a detailed set of features that will make up your game, or only a vague dream?

There's no such thing as a tutorial for these type of games that is 2D.

Any big project can be broken up into a set of smaller features. First define these features, and then you will know where to begin.

5. Antypodish

Antypodish

You can.

But proposal as you wrote, will take few good years, to get some alpha working, and that is putting quite chunk of time every week, to write code, prototype and study.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  6. Kondor0

Kondor0

Goddammit, man. Get out of my head, if I like all your posts I'm gonna start looking like a stalker. :D

On topic: OP, try to forget about big ideas for the moment. Maybe making a smaller space game could be a good alternative, start learning about movement and vectors and after that learn about Steering Behaviours and then you'll have a base for space ship movement.

7. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Yes that can be created in Unity. If you're asking for tutorials though, the problem is you're not yet up to the task.

You should work on much simpler projects as you're learning. If you've never built a car from scratch before, you start by building a go-cart, not a Ferrari. When you're ready to build a Ferrari you will know it, and you won't need a tutorial.

Antypodish likes this.
  8. Antypodish

Antypodish

Also, the thing such games are relatively few on game market, means that they are quite complex / difficult to make.
    At least in comparison to FPS, or generic mobile puzzle games.

And that is very true.

Once dev is up for the task, person may be asking for best approaches, or sometimes algorithms (i.e. path finding), but mostly directions, to find right way. Lots of thing are already there on the net.
    I always consider game devs, as integrators job. Basically getting bits of code, tools, reverse engineer to learn, adapt and integrate back to the project. Actually coding is often happening behind closed door, with lots of reading, testing and trial-error. With probably exception to open source, but then need some followers already.

So conclusion of every similar thread is, start small ;)

Joe-Censored likes this.
  9. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Check out the video, which shows some of the more major technical issues and how to beat them in KSP. The developer was also active on these forums for a while, so if you search back through the archives, you can find some interesting stuff on the two camera setup. And you can always decomplie the game to get a look at how the source code works.

Joe-Censored and Antypodish like this.
  10. Deleted User

Deleted User

I want to create a simple game almost how Space engineers was when it first came out. Not that complex or that realistic but has a simple gravity,oxygen system and ore and asteroid generations with the ability to create simple ships.All the realism and more complex blocks can come later in the development process.

Also I have created mods for both of these games.I just never created my own game that has the scripts that these games have.Cause creating a mod I can just use the vanilla file and edit it.

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

I might just create a Battle Royale game

12. ADNCG

ADNCG

Yeah, or a simple MMO, an easy RTS or a walk in the park JRPG.

Sorry, couldn't resist :rolleyes:

Ya' need perspective. Build something stupid simple and reevaluate from there.

13. Murgilod

Murgilod

I don't think you have a good frame of reference for complexity.

DaDonik, Joe-Censored and Ostwind like this.
  14. Antypodish

Antypodish

@CreatorOfWar Do you wonder, why there is so few such 3D space like engineers games at all?

ADNCG and Joe-Censored like this.
  15. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

What you described is fairly complex, measured in years of development time for an experienced developer. All the "realism" stuff is actually the easy part once you have the base game developed.

Now you're just trolling.

16. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Start small. Build a prototype of a tiny subset of what you described. Then expand from there. It will take a lot longer than you think.

Kiwasi and Antypodish like this.
  17. kdgalla

kdgalla

For reference, here's what an actually simple space game looks like:

18. Deleted User

Deleted User

Im not trolling

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

Let me Reevaluate my question.

I want to know how to create a voxel sandbox space game that has the elements from both space engineers and Minecraft(KSP too)? The reason why I had space engineers as the example in the Original question was it has Space in the base game while Minecraft has it by mods(Technically the Planets are just Dimensions). So I basically want to create a game that is literally just Minecraft with any of the Space Mods. Not like Space engineers is anywhere near realism anyways.

20. Murgilod

Murgilod

Realism isn't what makes things complex.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  21. Deleted User

Deleted User

I didn't say it was.

22. Murgilod

Murgilod

Then what part, out of anything you have described in any of this, is "simple?"

23. Antypodish

Antypodish

All best. Let us know on progress.

Joe-Censored and Deleted User like this.
  24. DaDonik

DaDonik

Deleted User and Antypodish like this.
  25. Arowx

Arowx

Have you considered building up to your ideal game?

I'm guessing you want to make a game with:
    • 3D first person perspective
    • Open world
    • Voxel Worlds/Planets
    • Crafting
    Start out working how to do the 3D first person perspective games, you should find tutorials on these in the learn section.

Then build up to shooting things/manipulating things as this will be where the crafting comes in later.

Now you have a basic character you will need to generate a voxel world, can I suggest you start with some simple cubes and build up.

Crafting is then just creating cubes in the world which is taking your raycasting/shooting and creating more cubes at that location.

By now you should have a very minimal version of what you need and you should also start to get an understanding of how much more is needed to get your game to where you want it to be...

Good Luck and have fun.

Joe-Censored and Deleted User like this.