Search Unity

3D Social Networking

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by tpelham42, Oct 19, 2008.

1. tpelham42

tpelham42

Finally have some early screenshots of 3D Social Networking project I've been working on for some time now. I had shown off some stuff on our 3D editor before that allows end users to submit new 3D environments/objects/attachments for other users to purchase in our online catalog.

The screenshots below show some of the features I've been working to implement into our 3d client. These include the ability to place and manipulate objects in an environment as well as some atmosphere control to effect lighting and fog and such.

Still under construction, but we have networking in place and users can connect to one another via their buddy list and interact in their environment.

To come is the ability to swap out your environment (mostly already in place), avatar customization UI and a bunch more.

2. gizzerd91

gizzerd91

Looks like Second Life. You should make cool twists and improvements. Is there a way you could leverage the Unity Engine so that users could upload Blender/Maya/3DS Max files and use them in their world? That seems like a big one. I guess bandwidth would be high, but if you could get around that you would be golden.

3. tpelham42

tpelham42

Actually users will be able to upload 3d content from 3dsmax and sketchup currently. We're using collada as the 3d format for getting 3D content into NuVera. Users are able to export into collada and bring it into our 3D viewer/submit program where they can add texture effects and upload the 3d content into our online catalog. The environment in the above screenshots is actually an environment being pulled from our servers loaded in based on the default layout of the user. All the content accept players and clothing are created by other users, however we have a 2D editor in the works that would allow users to create new clothing and avatar textures.

Users signed up as developers can charge an amount for their content and make virtual currency selling their 3D content to other users. We are also planning for an exchange program where developers could sell the virtual currency to other users for real world cash returns.

4. Alec

Alec

I'd love to see a user content thingy like second life (although I never really quite understood how to do stuff)

If you need anything model wise I'd be happy to help ;)

5. minevr

minevr

is myhome?

6. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Very nice. How are you converting the uploads?

7. tpelham42

tpelham42

The collada files are directly parsed and converted into Mesh objects inside our editor. From there once the user has finished tweaking textures and settings on their model they submit it. The submition process takes the already loaded mesh and converts it down to a custom xml format and uploads the xml file and the textures up to the server as well as creating a new DB record in the catalog. All of this is tested and working. So when a user purchases an online product they are able to load that object or environment and use it in world.

For a sneak peak at the 3D editor we have an intro video for some of our current testers...
    NuVera Online: Product Creation Pipeline

The editor and client are stand alone programs, but we are utilizing the web based features of Unity in our online catalog so that users can view catalog products in 3D. This has already been integrated as shown in the above video.

8. MentalFish

MentalFish

That's nifty! Any chance to license the Collada parser? I sure could have had use for it when approaching companies to use Unity as an viewer for industrial content.

9. tpelham42

tpelham42

That's definitely a possibility, but would really depend on public interest. Also it's currently only working for collada files from max and sketchup, but it is planned to expand the importer to handle other programs such as blender, Maya and more.

10. drag0nsphere

drag0nsphere

I would be interested as well!

11. jeffcraighead

jeffcraighead

Same here, as long as it wasn't too expensive I would be interested in licensing it as well.

12. tpelham42

tpelham42

This is something I will definitely look into once things are more stabilized. Thanks for your interest in the collada importer and I would definitely like to see this in the hands of the community for more cool unity projects. :)

13. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

i would also be interested in the Collada importer.

14. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

has there been any more work on this?

15. tpelham42

tpelham42

There has been a lot of work on it, but unfortunately nothing currently towards a release of our collada importer script. Our project eats up most of my time and I haven't had a chance to package together the collada importer files as some of the importer is rather specific and needs to be re-written to be more generalized. I do hope to package something together for those interested soon.