Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

3d side-scrolling adventure game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by wheelbarrow, May 31, 2014.

1. wheelbarrow

wheelbarrow

This my effort at a game intended for younger players, so no blood and guts, just some frights, I hope :)

A young boy from a poor family is caught in a storm, and finds himself at the front door of a giant, old, deserted mansion in his effort to find shelter (clichéd, I know). When he enters the house, he is confronted by flying furniture and angry noises, but he also finds a gem stone, so he decides to carry on and see what else he can find. As he gets further into the house, he finds a secret room, and upon opening it, he sees a message being written on a piece of paper stuck to the wall, while he watches. The message is from a young girl who was murdered there many decades earlier, and she asks the young boy to help her escape from the house so she can be laid to rest with the rest of her family. The boy soon finds out she is being prevented from leaving the house by the evil presence of the very man that murdered her family, and so the story/game begins.

After trying out a few different post processing methods, I finally decided on the black and white 'noir' look, using grayscale. The intro, and some of the cutscenes remain in colour, depending on the context of same. There are hidden gems for the player to find and collect, as well as some simple spell scrolls that can be used only once. More hidden messages can be found throughout the levels from the young girl, some with instructions and clues, and others telling her story. Currently the player cannot exit a scene/level without having found all the relevant clues/keys enabling them to do so, though the scrolls and gems are optional. Once a level is complete, the player cannot return to it, thus preventing any backtracking, though there may be some inside certain individual levels, which aren't large enough to make it a chore (I hope). The player can be killed by traps in the old house, in which case they are returned to the start of that level.

Player control is left/right only, with all interactions made using hotspots, which the player must find. Upon clicking on a hotspot, the main camera is swapped out for another camera that allows the player to interact with, or take a closer look at that particular spot. All avatar control is removed whilst another camera is in use, preventing inadvertent movement. Control is resumed as soon as the main camera is active again. Left clicking changes to the hotspot camera, right clicking goes back to the main camera.

The first couple of screenshots are below, any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. wheelbarrow

wheelbarrow

A few more screenies, hopefully they come up a bit brighter than the earlier ones.

Attached Files:

3. liyokikon

liyokikon

Wow! I love the art style! looks gorgeous

4. Misanthropic2013

Misanthropic2013

I really like the style of the environment and the lighting! Awesome job with the fine details and the atmosphere. The one thing I might be able to recommend, is that the main character does look kind of dark, maybe if there was some way he could stand out a bit more from the background? But yes, great job on the background art for sure. I love the old and worn look of the walls and ceilings. Great work! I'd love to see a video soon. :)

5. wheelbarrow

wheelbarrow

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback :) I can't take credit for the background house models, that's mostly from the 'Horror Environment - Deserted Mansion' asset on the asset store, which I've used to try to come up with some creative architecture. Misanthropic2013, I have a video ready to upload, but unfortunately Windows Movie Maker doesn't work with the avi file Fraps puts out when I record a video...any suggestions on another piece of video software I can use?
    And yes, I agree the player toon is a bit dark, though it's not a problem when playing the game full size. Having said that, I am playing around with a way to illuminate him, just getting the right balance so he fits into the scene is a bit tricky with the grayscale thing going.

6. liyokikon

liyokikon

7. a.Scarselli

a.Scarselli

Looking really good! Striving for a similar style, just with blood & guts :p

8. wheelbarrow

wheelbarrow

Here is a short video showing some of the first level. Best viewed in HD on Youtube in a large window (the resolution goes to crap if viewed full screen, for some reason).

9. wheelbarrow

wheelbarrow

A couple more screens, showing parts of the cellar under the old mansion, which in turn leads to dungeons further below, which the player finds themselves in at different times as they traverse the house.
    Two of the screens depict the player standing in front of a pipe they have to go through, before and after using a found spell scroll. The player remains small for a limited time, meaning if they get caught inside a small area when they return to normal size, they will die and restart the level. There is an animation for using the spell scroll, but I still have to add the particle effects. I've also managed to brighten the player toon a bit.

Drain pipe tall jpg.jpg

Drain pipe small jpg.jpg

Cellar jpg.jpg