Search Unity

3D platform - Super Backpack - wip (DEVLOG)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by d-3, Feb 17, 2016.

1. d-3

d-3

I´m Back in the Bussines! baby!!
    or i think so LOL

About Me
    Hi Guys and Girls, my name is Patrick Haraguti,I´m From São Paulo - Brazil and I´m 3d artist, character, creature and mechanical designer, vfx superfisor as dailly work, indie dev at night and a maker and sculptor in the freetime, as know as duck, can fly, can walk, can swing, but don´t do anything good LOL
    Since my childhood my dream is make game, I´m grow up and become a 3d artist because, well let´s call GOD gift but my first contact with game development started in 2010 when i get a copy of the fresh new unity engine in the PCs, so since then I made some small stuff, learned a little of unity script (javascript) now i´m learning C# because all tutorial are in C#

Abou the Game
    Super Backpack is 2.5D platform, But not just a sidecroller with linear left and right, i´m trying to make something using the klonoa mechanics with curvade paths to explore better the 3d environment!

The Story are a little simple until now, but I will share more detail fruther!

A tittle boy have you Parents sucked by a mysterious portal in the wardrobe, the he descides to jump in the portal and save his parents! they fall in a stranger world bla bla bla!

Here the main character concept art.

High resolution 3d model.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  2. d-3

d-3

Last night testing some obstacles and mechanics bring me the notice that i will need to rewrithe de code for a nom rigidbody controller!

how I will do this? have no idea! lol!! I thinking in going to raycast and overlaps that i saw in some 2d platformer!
    cheers!

3. Darkays

Darkays

The game looks great so far! Lovely character designs and models.

I am interested to see how you plan on tackling choosing multiple paths. In the GIF that you posted it looks like you are set on one path and that is it. Can you choose which path to take when you approach a fork in the road?

4. d-3

d-3

Yes, it´s possible to choose, it´s not implemented but is simple to add! did you watched all the gif?!
    the "path" to follow can be change by a trigger, trigger+ controller input.

I have plans to share details of system mechanics when the game get in alpha stage!
    cheers!

theANMATOR2b and Darkays like this.
  5. d-3

d-3

Ok, A little update from art side! Lowpoly base and UV are done! need to make other fancy burrows but it is another story lol!
    check this Wireframes!! high and low model!

Cheers!

6. vedinislamovic

vedinislamovic

Awesome character design :D

d-3 likes this.
  7. d-3

d-3

Thank you Isla3d! :D

vedinislamovic likes this.
  8. d-3

d-3

Quick Update, working in the texture! and some maps baking!
    not sure about using PBR or not! let´s see... :)

Yippie likes this.
  9. d-3

d-3

A Better shader/texture! looks so cute!! :D

Gametyme likes this.
  10. Toseda

Toseda

Just one word. Wow!

11. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Agree level gating is not a good choice, and ads are the most logical choice.
    As a parent I've given in more than once on "map packs" which are essentially IAP costume changes. I'm not one that will "just give the child what they want so they will be quiet" succumb to begging pleas, so cosmetic IAP's might be another option to consider - though one that brings with it more design to integrate.

Nice work so far. :)

CrisisSystem likes this.
  12. d-3

d-3

Hey Guys! thanks for all the advices!
    but let me make it a little more clear, this game is a platform game like a mario, rayman, donk kong, and i´m focusing in PC/Mac platform, maybe if it get sucess some ps4 or xbonxone. but my main target is a PC/Mac
    my focus is 6> <14 Kids, grils and nostaugic gamers!
    for <6 I have some ideas for minigames that I can put in the main game or ship in mobile to help de markething the main game.
    But thi´s topics are to far for me! I´m still working in the prototype :)
    cheers!

13. Toseda

Toseda

Targeting mobile will be a great idea for a game like this.

14. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Hmm - seems your build target is not the major game platform for the target demographic.
    Just speculating - most kids (6-12ish) are gaming on mobile devices or consoles.
    Are you building towards where your target demographic is actually playing games?

15. d-3

d-3

Mobile can be a great platform, but i can´t be sure if the game works in small screen and hardwares, maybe in iphone 8 lol!! and my experience with mobile is a sucks platform to work with! A need buttons to press lol!

TheAnmator, i´m know the kids and teenagers are using more mobile to play games, but a mario game you play only on nintendo platform, so, i will follow my vision for the game, and target a PS4 hardware espec to make my game!
    Maybe it´s use only 5% of this spec, i don´t know, maybe can be ported to mobile!
    But I really want to make a fun game, responsive gameplay and a Beautyfull graphics!

And If the game be come a good game people of all ages will play!

this is really a personal project, for personal satisfaction and personal goal!
    Money is something that i don´t think, if it sell or not depends only by the quality of the game!

Don´t get me wrong, I have a job, a well paid job, so make games is my side project! and it´s need to be enjoyable not thinking in numbers, target and public, if its sell or not I´m really don´t give a Sheet (yet)LOL
    I´m a n00b developer! lol :)

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  16. jwinn

jwinn

The character is looking great so far, keep it up. And I think you've hit on a good name for the project; memorable and easy to say.

On a high-level, how are you doing the platforming in the different X/Z? Creating a spline that you're locked to and match the rotation to or something like that?

17. d-3

d-3

Jwinn is something like that, but no path constrains in form of complicated spline system ! is facenormals orientations!
    cheers!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  18. d-3

d-3

Hi Guys A little update.
    3ds max CAT rig using custom mesh to a better volume visualization, so i don´t need to see the model to animate just the bones, it´s faster for playback feedback!

And A Little Run Cycle using cat motion just to see the rig moving!

Cheers!!

19. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Nice work.
    Consider offsetting the keys on the ears just a frame or two so it looks just a little more natural and maybe adjust the head bobbing so the keys overlap with the motion of the torso - just slightly so there is some overlap and follow through.

PS - you can do custom mesh with biped as well (in case you need to in the future) - align the custom mesh with the bone - apply an edit mesh/poly modifier to the bone - attach the custom mesh as an element of the bone - delete the original bone object. ;)

20. d-3

d-3

@theANMATOR2b

Thanks man! This animation is just a CAT motion layer to see the rig moving, I Will animate later with more personalaty! :) I hope lol!

About the CS, I know the custon mesh! but I choice the Cat to keep all Extra parts in one rig with squash and strech. Cheers! and thanks!

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  21. d-3

d-3

Quick Update! model skined and working :)

22. d-3

d-3

Well I´m Learning Houdini! I think the Idea of create Smart Digital assets looks the best option to make this game and make my file easier, after 3 days learning...check this little test!

RavenOfCode likes this.
  23. educaPix

educaPix

I love this character!! Great work Patrick!!
    Keep us updated on the progress, I really want to see how this game is going on.

d-3 likes this.
  24. d-3

d-3

Sure I Will! lol! I just wish to have more time to work on it! Cheers!

25. d-3

d-3

Another learning day(4) in houdini! and a little tool to help me out to create cracked pieces, for old temples or ruins!
    Proud of my self LOL!!

RavenOfCode likes this.
  26. d-3

d-3

Learning Houdini Day 5! Rock Catwalk! is like magic!! create parametric assets are magic! no code! ok a little bit!

27. d-3

d-3

Houdini Learning day 6! some panels extrutures with diferent orientation and extructures for the sides, conners and center pieces!
    cheers!

28. Yippie

Yippie

the character is really cute <3

d-3 likes this.
  29. d-3

d-3

@Yippie Thanks!

My day 7 of study Houdini for digital assets! It´s a simple sidescroller platform maker based in a curve to draw the shape!
    they create de uvs groups for diferent textures!
    cheers!!

Yippie and RavenOfCode like this.
  30. Yippie

Yippie

wow this is cool I'll bookmark this, will be useful when I make a platform game

d-3 likes this.
  31. d-3

d-3

Hey Guys!
    I´m in doubt! not sure if I will keep this project as a 2.5D sidescroller! The Story of the game is growing in a so good way that I think it´s deserve to be moved to a 3d platformer adventure like zelda, rachet and clank!
    I don´t think a sidescroller will give the true experience of exploration and discovery a lot of cool characters and story!
    It´s started to be a simple fun and enjoyable sidescroller! but!
    Any sugestions?

32. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Since all your assets are already in 3D anyway - it shouldn't be a big lift to change into 3D.

But watch out for the SCOPE CREEP MONSTER! :eek:

33. d-3

d-3

yeah!! the scope!! but is my LIFE project! I´m thinking in 3 years of development! but the Fase one is make a really cool demo level that´s show what the game is! and hes potential! after this I will try to fund it! if I can´t i Will keep the solo development and i will use a lot of Smart Digital Assets! and I´m a very fast in 3d stuffs! LOL

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  34. zenGarden

zenGarden

You have a good character and prototyping level.

d-3 likes this.
  35. d-3

d-3

yeah is what I will do! all the ideas i have for the game comes in my mind as a 3rd person adventure!! maybe is time to change!

36. d-3

d-3

To late here and My progress in the prototype! let´s see , still a lot of buggy but it´s a start! cheers!

RavenOfCode and Bhanshee00 like this.
  37. d-3

d-3

Now we can climb Ladders and Ivy walls! still a little bug but in the end I think I will have something good!
    cheers!!

zenGarden likes this.
  38. d-3

d-3

Another Update!
    I Make a wall to wall jump feature with sliding down if you stay in the wall, now I need to add a faster sliding down if the player move the stick down!:) cheers!!

zenGarden likes this.
  39. d-3

d-3

One Week of prototype, I´m Very Proud! for a non coder it´s working really amazing :D

Jump : check!
    Double Jump : check!
    Climb Ladder : check!
    Climb Ivy Wall: check!
    Wall to Wall Jump: check!
    Sliding down on wall: check!
    Sliding faster/stick down: check!
    Cool particle in run: Place holder - check!
    Dash: check!
    Grab Stuffs : WIP!
    Pull and Push Big Stuffs : WIP!
    Sliding front/back in slope angle : not yet
    Combat system: Can I really do this??
    Features, Features, more Features LOL!!

40. zenGarden

zenGarden

41. d-3

d-3

Hi ZenGarden, I checked every single asset for the character controller! and the Best I can get is this one you posted! but, after playing the Demo I noticed they are very basic, more than a Half of the features I implemented is not available in this asset! so I´m Making my own!
    About the Level Design for me at this moment the most important thing is get the best controller I can do! the 100% of the time over all the game, you will fell the controls! ?
    And to be very Honest I think the controls fell so good, tand some times I can´t even believe that I make all the code! :) and I´m an Artist not a coder!
    Cheers!

zenGarden likes this.
  42. zenGarden

zenGarden

For 2.5D there is better that would have fit your game , like Corgi Engine
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/26617

It should not be so hard for you to code ennemies and traps then lol.
    Good work.

d-3 likes this.
  43. d-3

d-3

Zen , I have the Corgi Engine, never used ! LOL the 2.5d of corgi engine is all based in 2d physics! that´s a little sad.

The Best I found and bought is the Whipstitch Platformer Tools https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/28132
    if you looking for 2.5d platform this is the one!

About the code, well I´m not a very noob, I allready made some games and prototypes that I coded, but I Don´t make code for live ;) I can make simple stuffs and Game some times is A Lot of simple stuffs working together :)

cheers!

zenGarden likes this.
  44. zenGarden

zenGarden

45. d-3

d-3

Yeah that bone dynamics looks cool! I need some golden coins!! :)

46. d-3

d-3

Quick Animations just to see it´s playing better visually! the moving platform having some animations bug :p

Gametyme and Bhanshee00 like this.
  47. zenGarden

zenGarden

Perhaps you will need some fixed cameras zones like the jumping between walls ?

48. d-3

d-3

Yes! I will work in the Camera later! I will need a lot of things LOL

49. d-3

d-3

Hey Guys sorry to disappear this week! but you know!! I´m not stronger than a uncharted release :)!! I´m all ready finished the game!! time to back to SBP! Cheers!

50. d-3

d-3

Time Pass to Fast this days!! to busy in my job and keep the project untouched for a long time!! I made a simple update to unity 2017 and implemented cinemachine, fixed some code and add some feature in the code not in this video for now!
    Cheers!!

RavenOfCode likes this.